• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Beat it today. The game is simply unmatched. Never in my life have I been so affected by the story of a video game. Not only that, it doesn't sacrifice gameplay, graphics, or art direction. It hits every single point head on.

Bring on the next gen Sony, if this is the picture of what Naughty Dog can do with the PS3, I cannot wait to see what they do with the PS4. This tops Uncharted 2 by so much its almost laughable for me to think that I believed those standards wouldn't be topped.

iNvid02

zYlFw8Q.jpg

dXi3Pbq.gif

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Played for a few hours and decided to save and quit for the day. Looking at my save file, I'm at 6.5 hours and 42% through the game. Naughty Dog sure isn't skimping on content.

I just left
Bill's town
and got to
Pittsburgh
. I basically saved and quit right before the section that was in the E3 demo from last year. Fighting infected was starting to get old, so I'm glad that the game switched gears and is putting me up against humans. I thought fighting humans would be easier than fighting infected since I can take them down easier with stealth, but man if a few of them surround you with some shotguns you are gonna hit the dirt fast unless you beat a hasty retreat. Unfortunately, it seems like sprinting out of combat is almost too effective, since the enemies lose track of you very quickly. Also Ellie seems pretty handy with a brick, and on several occasions she's given me a valuable few seconds to get out of a sticky situation.

So far I'm not feeling the incredible hype and adulation that is being thrown at this game, but maybe that's because I haven't finished the game yet. The game started off strong then kinda flatlined after leaving
Boston
, and I don't feel particularly compelled to keep playing. I'll still finish the game, but it hasn't pulled me in just yet the way Uncharted 2 did.

Dibbz

Just finished it today. Took me 18 hours in total. What a fucking ride. Unbelievable. Naughty Dog knocked it out of the park. I felt it was going to be good but holy shit it was just jaw dropping.

Been on a media blackout since the reveal and my god I was holding on tight all the way through. So many amazing locations, characters and the gameplay was exhilarating.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just finished it today. Took me 18 hours in total. What a fucking ride. Unbelievable. Naughty Dog knocked it out of the park. I felt it was going to be good but holy shit it was just jaw dropping.

Been on a media blackout since the reveal and my god I was holding on tight all the way through. So many amazing locations, characters and the gameplay was exhilarating.

Yeah i was on blackout. So many concepts and locations i simply wasnt aware of when i played. Genuine surprise for the most part.

Maddocks

MP owns because you can rock body armor and beat fools up lol

I put on the body armor and ran up to 3 people and knocked them all out without shivs. so fun and broken lol but one thing I really noticed was supply run is so must better then survival. in supply run you can always be sure to feed and gain people for your clan, but in survival, they will go hungry.

I love MP though but kinda wish the matchmaking was better because I hate being on a team full of 0's vs a team of level 11's and 14's.

I'm curious as to how people beat the game in 18 hours or so. I beat it in 13 hours and some minutes on normal and I took my time looking at things and exploring.

nib95

Banned
I'm curious as to how people beat the game in 18 hours or so. I beat it in 13 hours and some minutes on normal and I took my time looking at things and exploring.

I felt like I could have taken much more time. Lots of collectibles I didn't find. And there were many encounters where I just went brute force or tactical force instead of pure stealth. Also, I hear the game takes a lot longer on the harder difficulties. Some people clocking 20+ hours.

Macattk15

My god.

The animations are awesome.

I was just running up some stairs in a house ... and a dude came running out of a doorway at me.

Pulled out my sawed off shotgun and fired a shot as the guy got just about a foot from me and he hopped back lifelessly about 3 feet into the doorframe and onto the ground from the impact.

Just so real feeling. I imagine that is what it would look like in real life.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got into a melee brawl with someone on a flight of stairs and Joel actually grabbed him and threw him down them. Pretty hilarious.

They did a fantastic job on the contextual animations here. UC3 was bad with them, and going back to play it after this will only make them stick out worse.

Gave it a fair shot and finished it. I stick by my 7.5 rating. Good production values, but dry and repetitive as fuck. I had an epiphany . . . I realize that ND doesn't make games, they make guided tours.

DukeBobby

People should buy the season pass or at least purchase this when it comes out by itself? Show some support to Area 5 who created the documentary.

When does it come out?

I have no interest in the multiplayer, so I did not purchase the season pass. I'll just buy the single player DLC.

TripOpt55

I got into a melee brawl with someone on a flight of stairs and Joel actually grabbed him and threw him down them. Pretty hilarious.

They did a fantastic job on the contextual animations here. UC3 was bad with them, and going back to play it after this will only make them stick out worse.

Wow that is cool. Now I want to just go around having fights in weird places.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I was in a room with a clicker and three or four regular infected. I got a crowbar, ran and beat the ever unliving crap outta the clicker, and just pummeled the remaining infected in a crowbar brawl. I was left standing in the middle of an infected pool of blood. This game. THIS GAME.

Speaking of the Hotel Basement:
Man, that bloater game me hell my first playthrough on Normal. Which is why on my new playthrough on Survival, I just turned on the generator and ran as quickly as I could to the door. Should have done that the first time. I prob spent an hour on Normal on that area, dying and dying again. This time I spent 3 minutes. :lol

I can't remember whether you
get the keycard before that section
. I can't imagine how intense it would be
getting to the door and realizing you need that, having to go find it, then escape...

Chaucer

I'm 44% in (7 hours and change). I am too terrified to continue after
I restart the generator in the hotel basement and I literally see my face ripped apart over and over. I am usually screaming at the TV as a stalker attacks me from nowhere and then pollen goes flying and it's actually quite beautiful until I am finally dead.
Great game.

I felt like I could have taken much more time. Lots of collectibles I didn't find. And there were many encounters where I just went brute force or tactical force instead of pure stealth. Also, I hear the game takes a lot longer on the harder difficulties. Some people clocking 20+ hours.

I agree, I'm not done with my original playthrough but decided I'd start with a new one on hard where I can explore and scavenge in detail and I am just now stepping outside in Boston and already have an hour put in. So much rich detail that adds to the world. I love this game to death.

Stoze

Took me 24 hours on hard and no listen mode (though I did end up turning on listen mode eventually). Purposefully killed myself many times to retry combat situations in a different fashion, went through many areas killing everyone without being seen, exploring and collecting as much as I could, and took a lot of time to take everything in. I pretty much never used the L2 button to run in the game, except in the heat of combat. I just can't help staring at the jaw dropping art direction, detail, and graphics at every turn. Also left the game on when going to eat dinner and do other things, but I don't think that added much time.

I did a Sparta kick on one enemy once.

We were brawling near some stairs and then Joel just booted him in the chest, Guy hit the railing, tumbled down, didn't get back up

Never happened again and I never saw Joel throw someone down stairs. ND did an awesome job with the contextual melee

MP owns because you can rock body armor and beat fools up lol

I put on the body armor and ran up to 3 people and knocked them all out without shivs. so fun and broken lol but one thing I really noticed was supply run is so must better then survival. in supply run you can always be sure to feed and gain people for your clan, but in survival, they will go hungry.

I love MP though but kinda wish the matchmaking was better because I hate being on a team full of 0's vs a team of level 11's and 14's.

Are you getting any disconnection nonsense?

I'm stuck on the first (early game, very very mild spoiler)
proper encounter with the Infected, the one from the demo

:p

If someone can clear this up for me, it'd make it much easier I think. Can the runners hear you when you try sneaking up behind them at a ful speed crouch-walk? They keep turning around when I'm inches behind them.

I think I'm on one of the last sections now with the
two bloaters
. Why can't I just boost Ellie up? I don't have enough ammo for this shit.

Imm0rt4l

I can't remember whether you
get the keycard before that section
. I can't imagine how intense it would be
getting to the door and realizing you need that, having to go find it, then escape...
That is exactly what happened with me. I was stuck in the dark with runners and the bloater. Running aimlessly like a chicken with its head cutoff.

DatDude

Banned
It's weird. Even though I had alot of frusterating moments with this game, I really want to do a second playthrough now.

I'm debating whether I should go for Easy or Survivor though.

Just beat the game in 13:25 on Normal, and that's with dying 50 times and going out of my way to explore corners (got 92 collectibles) and staring at vistas. I'm not even good and am seriously confused as to how it can take you guys 5 more hours. I mean take your time, play it however you enjoy it... I just don't get these numbers. Are you playing on higher difficulties or just staring even harder at vistas?

Or more likely, are you leaving the game unpaused while typing on GAF...

nib95

Banned
Just beat the game in 13:25 on Normal, and that's with dying 50 times and going out of my way to explore corners (got 92 collectibles) and staring at vistas. I'm not even good and am seriously confused as to how it can take you guys 5 more hours. I mean take your time, play it however you enjoy it... I just don't get these numbers. Are you playing on higher difficulties or just staring even harder at vistas?

Never once left the game un-paused.

leng jai

Yeah I don't really understand how some people are taking 25 hours to finish unless they are literally studying every area for 10 minutes..

Mr.Swag

Banned
It's weird. Even though I had alot of frusterating moments with this game, I really want to do a second playthrough now.

If go easy, and just collect everything

Don't know how people ever play on hard

I feel the same way. There were certain parts that I dread playing at a higher difficulty...

But I was dreading my Uncharted 3 Expert run too and I ended up beating it faster than on normal I think. Granted, that was pre- and post- control patch. Count me amongst the people who couldn't aim for shit pre-patch.

Meanwhile, I loved the aiming in TLOU. They definitely learned from whatever that mistake was.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah it took me 18 hours to beat and i didnt "waste" time. I spent a lot of time searching for supplies though. That probably added 3 hours or so

Playing on hard/listen mode off and I can't check right now, but I think i'm about 12-13 hours in and still only 50% through. Some of the encounters take me a half hour or more to methodically work through with stealth. I don't know how to check how many times i've died, but it's probably an obscene amount

Top Bottom