• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I get the same vibes from playing this MP to max payne 3 multiplayer - a very competent single player experience which just doesnt translate to multiplayer very well. That's okay though cos the single player is awesome and that's where most of the effort has gone.

I thought MP3 translated well to multiplayer. The fact that they got bullet time working with like 16 people on the big modes is insanity. The physics also provided some hilarious deaths. My issue is that they let people spawn with OP weapons like rocket launchers and ridiculous perks that ruined the experience. That and the fact that they split the community day 1 with Babby's First Multiplayer Mode (aka an entire suite of lock-on aiming match types)

The Last of Us multiplayer could be solid with tweaks, but I don't particularly trust ND to do the right thing with post-release adjustments to multiplayer.

Man, Troy Baker does not look like he sounds/can sound. Weird.

Question, y'all: how does New Game + work? I'm guessing you keep your equipment, upgrades and skill point allocations, but what happens with enemies and whatnot in terms of their HP and damage? Does everything just scale? Or is there no scaling? Super Joel?

EGM1966

Literally just had to quit the game because it was so boring.
No enemy encounters for 40m, just wandering around looking for supplies, wtf how is that fun. Even more so if the "running" animation is slow as hell, gimme something to shoot at, don't bore me with this shit.

I'm so glad - now there's no chance I can run into you on MP. Try watching a Transformers 2 followed by Army of Two : you'll feel fine in no time.

raindoc

I just realized
you need to beat the game at least 8 times to get a platinum trophy + multiplayer stuff... If you beat the game on normal it does not also give you the trophy for easy mode.

it did for me. completed the game on normal, got both the trophies for "normal" and "easy".

DatDude

Banned
Man, Troy Baker does not look like he sounds/can sound. Weird.

Question, y'all: how does New Game + work? I'm guessing you keep your equipment, upgrades and skill point allocations, but what happens with enemies and whatnot in terms of their HP and damage? Does everything just scale? Or is there no scaling? Super Joel?

Joel dies quicker. The enemies is still 1 head shot to the head and dead.

DatDude

Banned
so gaf's tlou MP community is unexistant?
oh well i'll wait for price drop or maybe i'll buy 2nd hand then

Really?

Your going to deprive naughty dog from a sale because of the mp? The single player alone is why you should buy it, not for some mp.

Really?

Your going to deprive naughty dog from a sale because of the mp? The single player alone is why you should buy it, not for some mp.

You should buy the game now.

Edit: just a friendly reminder, you can quote multiple posts in one post. Not sure what the rule is on double posting.

Oh, and another thing: This game has such admirable restraint. Again, maybe it's because I'm accustomed to the (fittingly pulpy and genre-inspired) bombast of the Uncharted series, but there are so many moments in TLoU so far where the game opts for a quiet moment instead of a loud one, or a gentle whimper instead of a roar. The scaffolding you just stepped on creaked, but it didn't give way so that you could dramatically jump to safety; no, it just creaked beneath your weight, making you truly feel the strain of time on a skyscraper being slowly reclaimed by nature.

Absolutely! Yes! This is something I noted as well. I really enjoyed and admired ND's restraint of not throwing you in a bunch of intense mind blowing set pieces and really gave this game a different pace.

BUT (later game spoiler)
when they do throw a set-piece in, like the bus rolling in the water. It is INCREDIBLY polished and well done and I actually felt more tension in that small scenario then I did in all the set pieces of Uncharted 3. I love how they just threw that in there so confidently and nailed it.

No enemy encounters for 40m, just wandering around looking for supplies, wtf how is that fun. Even more so if the "running" animation is slow as hell, gimme something to shoot at, don't bore me with this shit.

Ew, I forgot people like this exist.

Also, change your avatar.

This is just...I can't even...
what?

I wish they had implemented some sort of treasure hunting thing again to make exporing worthwhile. I like to explore in games like this, and finding extra supplies as the only reward is completely unsatisfying as theyre unnecessary. The letters arent great fun either
Uhh, what?

Firefly pendants, comics, letters, pictures, toolboxes, combat/crafting manuals, loot, survival pills, weapon upgrade parts, contextual discussions, the insanely amazing environment and details.

Go home, you're drunk.

DatDude

Banned
that magical feeling you get inside when you replay a game the second time, get to a scenario that caused you 30 minutes of frusteration, only to play it differently and complte it in 3 minutes.

I gotta admit. AI has issues.

But the gameplay is just fucking great. Especially on survival. Great mix of stealth + tension + melee + light action.

Dantis

My one disappointment with this game is the crappy case that comes with the Joel Edition. Cardboard? Yuck.

Wish the EU got the US special edition. :(

StuBurns

Banned
Just watched the documentary, really cool. TLoU2 needs full facial performance capture though, as great as the digital performances are, there's still plenty of nuance lost in the process.

Just watched the documentary, really cool. TLoU2 needs full facial performance capture though, as great as the digital performances are, there's still plenty of nuance lost in the process.

No, they do it by hand to keep the stylized and animated feel. You could use the capture as a base and exaggerate it, but they prefer doing it by hand (I've talked to one of their animators).

I'm going straight from Normal to Survivor mode. So far so good, I'm very paranoid about my resources though. Even right now I'm thinking about how to craft a Shiv with limited resources.

Lingitiz

Just finished this up. Overall, the best game of the year so far and a contender for GOTG. Such a fantastically paced game. I can't really think of any issues I have with it.

No, they do it by hand to keep the stylized and animated feel. You could use the capture as a base and exaggerate it, but they prefer doing it by hand (I've talked to one of their animators).

Doesn't it also help them avoid the disparity between facial animation, and the way their face and head moves in relation to the body. That was the big issue with LA Noire, aside from the money their tech costs

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure they prefer it, or they wouldn't do it, but I don't think it's as good, and I think it's wasteful of the actors' performances.

Fistwell

Ha!

i-GLQjhhF-950x10000.jpg

Doesn't it also help them avoid the disparity between facial animation, and the way their face and head moves in relation to the body. That was the big issue with LA Noire, aside from the money their tech costs
Not really, a lot of games are using face capture along with body capture now. And in LA Noirs case, it is essentially a projection of a video of the actors face onto some simple geo that is animated with the video on top. It is insanely limiting and basically requires the actors likeness to be 100% to the character unless makeup is used.

And in Joels case I believe they used mainly face joints to animate his expression with very little/if any blend shape correctives. Although ellie has a bunch of blend shapes for her face... Not sure why it is different for joel though, but my rigging knowledge is limited

I'm sure they prefer it, or they wouldn't do it, but I don't think it's as good, and I think it's wasteful of the actors' performances.
It's not wasteful at all... The animators refer to the video performance capture religiously. The majority of the animators at ND are traditional animators so they use similar methods that Disney and Pixar use, working from reference. It helps give the ND games a unique feel and it works.

Zemm

The best thing about Survivor mode is that because crafting materials are rare, having to choose between a melee upgrade or a shiv and a health pack and a molotov is actually a big decision.

In the Hotel where
you start the generator, I had a choice between the shiv and the melee upgrade and I choose the latter because I knew I'd be making a run for the door and that a one hit kill melee could be helpful. It was and it saved my ass.

LastNac

Something would belost if they did a straight up scan of their performances . There is something really special about the way they hand animate.

They've said that they do it because current tech doesn't allow for some of the more subtle movements of a persons face. I don't think that there's a current gen game that uses performance capture that's on TLoU's level in terms of facial animation. Next-gen could change things and they could move to full facial capture as well.

Moonlight

Banned
They go over the actor's facial expressions in the mocap sequences constantly to try and capture them by hand- they show and talk about that as much in the Grounded documentary. It just lends them a greater degree of control (make it even more 'perfect', you could say) over how characters emote.

LastNac

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else but it seems ND can create exaggerated emotions through hand animation that are also subtle at the same time.

Drake talking to Marlow in UC3 comes to mind.

DatDude

Banned
Can you use a shive as a melee weapon on clickers...as in..you don't have to be standing behind them? You can just go face to face, and kill them with a shiv that way?

If so I did not know that, and feel dumb.

Haven't played yet though I've heard the beginning is one of the best openings this Gen.

Pretty much.

You really should try to play it whenever you have some free time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Good go know, I haven't been stealthy in that way for MP yet.

Can you use a shive as a melee weapon on clickers...as in..you don't have to be standing behind them? You can just go face to face, and kill them with a shiv that way?

Nah, that doesn't work. You can kill them with a brick as a melee weapon though.

You get an upgrade that lets you use them defensively when you get grabbed by one, so basically, let yourself get grabbed and press square.

LastNac

Pretty much.

Beginning was designed by the same person who designed the desert in UC3. Gets me hyped.

AJ_Wings

Pretty much.

You can upgrade your melee weapon with the same material you craft a shiv with for an instant kill.

LastNac

The desert was my favorite segment in UC3.

My most favorite was just having drake walking amongst that beautiful arabian night sky. Was beautiful.
*bro fist*

I had a chance to talk to the designer at E3 and he told me that if I loved the desert I'll love the opening for TLoU.

Everyone I've talked to has told me I wont be disappointed. Probably going to get my copy today.

Edit: Interestingly enough I think he was also behind the crumbling building fight in UC2.

I havn't played this yet but with the infected cant the humans just wait them out for them to die of starvation?

Like in that 28 weeks later zombie movie.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
On hard it kills them the second time you do it. No idea about other difficulties.
on normal it kills them the first time
I havn't played this yet but with the infected cant the humans just wait them out for them to die of starvation?

Like in that 28 weeks later zombie movie.
problem is in TLOU universe
humans are the main problem and the more dangerous species

Defuser

Any news on the patch regarding the random crashes on the old PS3s? I'm currently stuck in the basement which everybody love and hate about it, it keeps on crashing my ps3 and it's pissing me off.

Bollocks

Maybe you should return it and trade for action horror games rather than survival horror games.

If you bought it and expected it to be like Dead Space 3 having enemy wave on every 2 minutes sorry you are gonna be disappointed.

How's it a survival game, if there are no enemies?
Game is great but that whole segment, lets just pretend it never happened.

StuBurns

Banned
They go over the actor's facial expressions in the mocap sequences constantly to try and capture them by hand- they show and talk about that as much in the Grounded documentary. It just lends them a greater degree of control (make it even more 'perfect', you could say) over how characters emote.
Yes, they show it, they show the direct comparison, and they're not close to as good as the performance.

And TLoU isn't a Pixar film. The idea of having exaggerated animation in a game attempting to depict reality is oxymoronic. I also don't understand the PS3 can't handle it argument, the vast majority of cutscenes in the game with any sort of close up of the characters faces are already prerendered, the PS3 doesn't need to be able to handle massively better facial rigging when it's not run-time anyway.

Top Bottom