• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Holy shit...Survivor is intense

I'm in the
museum
. No shivs, no Molotovs, one brick. I'm able to sneak past the other clickers. I see the door I need to get to. I start creeping towards. Another clicker staggers into my path, turns, starts coming towards me.

I only have one chance. I throw the brick, stun the clicker, and run for the door. Race up the stairs. I can hear the others. I fight the lone runner. And then I hear clicking behind me.

The clicker had followed me up the stairs.

I sprint for the door as the clicker screeches, tapping Triangle like crazy, and I make it

cameron

Hmm :/Can you guys please help me?
I'm stuck in the sewer,right before the hospital,I'm at 95% but I haven't a single idea how to reach the platform alongside the wall,Ellie is standing on the cargo truck waiting for something to happen apparently...maybe jumping?there's no hint showing,I'm getting frustated to fall in the water,get back on the cargo truck,fall again,it seems that there's a scale under,but I can't reach it...argh...I'm taking a break for now.

[95% spoiler]

Not completely sure where you are. There's a part with a red fire truck, where Joel has to swim under and then climb up to drop a ladder down for Ellie. Is the water moving fast? If it is, then the only thing you can do in that section is jump from platform to platform.

Andrew.

Banned
dat HIDDEN GOLD TROPHY obtained

Hearing all of Ellies jokes

And the hotel basement part is much easier to manage if you actually avoid killing anything. I was able to
snag the keycard, turn on the generator and partially haul ass up the ramp only to slow down as soon as I got to the hallway where the locked door was.
In and out in seconds and without conflict.

Rize_21

[95% spoiler]

Not completely sure where you are. There's a part with a red fire truck, where Joel has to swim under and then climb up to drop a ladder down for Ellie. Is the water moving fast? If it is, then the only thing you can do in that section is jump from platform to platform.

Thank you!
yep,it was on a yellow truck with the strong stream,I've sprinted many times and mashed triangle,and it worked.Thanks again!I was looking for a way to unlock a half blocked car for so long. :S

ys45

Well this is it, I will probably finish the game tonight I'm at 15h of game play and in
Winter season,after you meet the 2 survivors and you get the antibiotics for Joel, I really hope he survive his wound and they don't do an ending like another certain zombie game i played last year (otherwise Ellie will be all alone :( )

That game make me wonder/think about a lot of thing if a scenario like this were to happen in real life, it is much more than a "Zombie game" the game has well developed character even if they don't talk all that much .

So I'm gonna imagine all kind of ending scenarios all day at work -_-

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So was the initial loading percentage added in the 1.01 patch? I just installed it after 19 odd hours of playing the game and saw it for the first time after that.

Reached winter. Super awesome opening.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That Winter. That fucking winter.

Andrew.

Banned
How'd you get this one? Do you just have to stand around and wait for it or is it a prompt?

There's a handful of occasions in Pittsburgh and the Suburbs where she will bust out
the joke book. Most of the time you actually do have to wait around a bit for her to do it. She usually walks around checking stuff out and then suddenly opens it. For example, she'll crack it open when you look at the poster of the skinny model in the flooded street area, but only after you talk to her about it and wait about 20 seconds. In the hotel lobby, she will only open the book if you crack open the safe.

(removed false information)

Edit: Is a shame the render modes don't affect the cutscenes. Was hoping I could do a black and white only playthough.

Edit: 2 The first bit is junk, my memory was playing tricks. I apologize. Removing it to not confuse people, you can find the orignal quoted bit if need be.

There's a handful of occasions in Pittsburgh and the Suburbs where she will bust out
the joke book. Most of the time you actually do have to wait around a bit for her to do it. She usually walks around checking stuff out and then suddenly opens it. For example, she'll crack it open when you look at the poster of the skinny model in the flooded street area, but only after you talk to her about it and wait about 20 seconds. In the hotel lobby, she will only open the book if you crack open the safe.

Alright. Do you know how many you
have to listen to before you get the trophy?

Just started my Survivor mode playthough and noticed something cool. In the intro
while driving, instead of finding one guy on the left side of the street begging for help, it's a guy and his daughter on the right side. Sarah also says "We should have helped them" instead of him.
Any other neat, little minor changes like that?

Edit: Is a shame the render modes don't affect the cutscenes. Was hoping I could do a black and white only playthough.
Wait really? Are you sure? I've done the intro twice now (Hard and Survivor) and my brother did it on Normal and it's always
the guy and his kid on the side of the road. Tommy's like 'They have a kid' and Joel's 'So do we.'

It never changed for me

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Didn't get to play at all last night, but I'm psyched to jump in as soon as I get home and possibly play through to the end. Work can't end soon enough today.

aristotle

Wait really? Are you sure? I've done the intro twice now (Hard and Survivor) and my brother did it on Normal and it's always
the guy and his kid on the side of the road. Tommy's like 'They have a kid' and Joel's 'So do we.'

It never changed for me

I think that poster is mistaken. It's always been that way.

It never changed for me

You're right. I must have been out of it when I played, the first thought I had even before dialogue was "oh wow, he's on the right side now"

Going loco :D Will edit my post, sorry all :D

Where are all the trophies in the game lol. Played a few hours and nothing so far
And you won't for many more, they're almost all collectable and game completion trophies. I played for 15 hours before I got a trophy, and that was the "Crafted all items" one.

Larson

Banned
Finished The Last of Us two days ago. My new favorite game of all time. Exited for what Naughty Dog can do with next gen hardware. Its going to be good, so gooood!

Andrew.

Banned
Where are all the trophies in the game lol. Played a few hours and nothing so far

Dont worry. I didnt score anything until 8 hours in.

Most are only getting the one for crafting everything and for completing the game on whatever difficulty chosen. Most of the trophies are obtained on the second playthrough.

If you've got a real good eye and search every nook and cranny maybe youll be able to find all of a certain collectible. I finished my first run missing 42 out of the 141.

So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Cause I started a Survivor playthrough, set everything to off, and still get tutorial hints, L3 prompts etc

Melee prompts are off though, which is good. And I'm definitely on Survivor difficulty, I've checked

GRIP

Beat the game a few nights ago and I think I'm gonna start my survivor play through tonight. I really couldn't care less for the multiplayer. After putting so many hours into U3's MP this is just way too slow paced and campy for me. Love the SP, though.

Raxus

How'd you get this one? Do you just have to stand around and wait for it or is it a prompt?

There are set locations where Ellie tells them.
I didn't get my first trophy until halfway through. They're all for crafting everything or finding all the collectibles. This game doesn't just hand them out.
Yep most of them come from completing the game and completing the game on NG+. The rest for single player are from collectibles and optional conversations. The last four are multiplayer which sucks.

Personally I think the way ND implemented upgrades for both weapons and Joel was just brilliant

When I first heard you can upgrade Joel, I didn't think it made sense or seemed realistic

But when I played...

Taking drugs to enhance your physical skills
Survival manuals to enhance your weapons

It's just perfect, fits with the survivor theme of the game without seeming too "gamey"

Compared to Batman earning EXP to unlock new moves and upgrades or just skill points in general

THIS GAME! The awesomeness is overwhelming me......

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

Raxus

Besides how hard enemies hit what is the differences in harder difficulties?

Bricks and bottles are a godsend on Survivor.

Andrew.

Banned

Lack of a bunch of crafting items is the big one. Limited ammo as well. Someone posted that listen mode is disabled in Survivor as well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do you need to finish hard to get survivor or is normal enough too? I am playing on hard, but a friend wondered.

Raxus

Lack of a bunch of crafting items is the big one. Limited ammo as well.

I don't see a huge difference between hard and survivor though. Nearly everything is where it was. Oh well. Lack of ammo isn't a big deal now I am much better at dispatching enemies.

I've learned that. Now up to Bill's and stunning an infected with a brick/bottle followed up with rushing in and a melee weapon saves a shitload of ammo

And regarding Survivor
So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Cause I started a Survivor playthrough, set everything to off, and still get tutorial hints, L3 prompts etc. Melee prompts are off though

Raxus

Do you need to finish hard to get survivor or is normal enough too? I am playing on hard, but a friend wondered.

You just need to beat the entire game once on any difficulty (even easy) to get survivor. Hard helps train you for survivor though.

The game is remarkably fickle at giving to enough blades to make a shiv.

Did it take anyone else 80% of the game to realise that bricks and bottles can be used to hit people in addition to being thrown at them? No? Okay...

I am The Dumbest Of Us :(

Raxus

Nah, I got hit with the auto-save glitch and lost like 4 hours of play time so I decided to just start over.

I'm also taking my time and trying to find all the collectables. I'm currently up to the Winter section.....

I guarantee you will miss a bunch. I went in with a guide and missed 2. Game is chock full of them.

Your best bet is to comb through them later seeing as they lead to a ton of salvage to craft items as well.

Andrew.

Banned
Nah, I got hit with the auto-save glitch and lost like 4 hours of play time so I decided to just start over.

I'm also taking my time and trying to find all the collectables. I'm currently up to the Winter section.....

Sucks about your lost time, but hey, the game is so damn good who cares right?

I scoured like a bastard for collectibles and still ended up missing a bunch =/

Im on the warpath now though, strategy guide in tow.

Raxus

My advice to trophy hunters:

1. Play through the story first, no collectibles
  2. Survivor Mode. Collectibles. Optional Conversations.
  3. Survivor+. Clean Up.

On harder difficulties. Bricks/bottles and bows are gods. Save shivs for doors until you upgrade them with the manuals.

My friend and I were throwing around ideas
for a sequel

What if Ellie finds out about Joel's lie and leaves to finish what she started? Maybe, say, ten years after the game's ending. I'd love for her to run into Bill again.

Top Bottom