• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

LastNac

Yes, they show it, they show the direct comparison, and they're not close to as good as the performance.

And TLoU isn't a Pixar film. The idea of having exaggerated animation in a game attempting to depict reality is oxymoronic. I also don't understand the PS3 can't handle it argument, the vast majority of cutscenes in the game with any sort of close up of the characters faces are already prerendered, the PS3 doesn't need to be able to handle massively better facial rigging when it's not run-time anyway.

Trying to take the "art" of it out, eh Stu?

LastNac

An actor's performance isn't art, but an animator's work is, eh Nac?
Well, as someone who has been paid to act I can certainly appreciate the craft, however ND are some of the last devs who really put so much care in to hand animation and as someone who really loves hand animation I can appreciate it a little more, Stu.

Also, are you saying the kind of acting that is "art" is full performance? I don't need to see a 1:1 movement on a characters face to appreciate an actor's performance in this medium, I very much still respect the craft of voice acting.
Hell, I'd argue some of the best performances to come out of this medium are still predominantly vocal performances.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, as someone who has been paid to act I can certainly appreciate the craft, however ND are some of the last devs who really put so much care in to hand animation and as someone who really loves hand animation I can appreciate it a little more, Sty.
And that's wonderful, and I love hand animation, I think Tangled is a masterpiece, but ultimately, I think it's about the final result, and meeting the style of production with the mood of the piece. TLoU is relentlessly cold, and it's not like the cutscenes aren't trying to convey that, and they do it very well, and they could do it much better...

By the way, as you haven't played it yet, don't watch the documentary, it's spoilerific. I'm sure I'll be around when you've had a chance to play it. We can hammer this out for the next two years till they show the next one.

LastNac

And that's wonderful, and I love hand animation, I think Tangled is a masterpiece, but ultimately, I think it's about the final result, and meeting the style of production with the mood of the piece. TLoU is relentlessly cold, and it's not like the cutscenes aren't trying to convey that, and they do it very well, and they could do it much better...

By the way, as you haven't played it yet, don't watch the documentary, it's spoilerific. I'm sure I'll be around when you've had a chance to play it. We can hammer this out for the next two years till they show the next one.
Going to pick it up today probably.

My point is that yes, they could do these things, but I don't think they have to in order to capture real emotions from people. Something hand animation still hits on the best I would argue is a character's emotion in their eyes. Scanned performances don't really get that mainly due to the fact that the eyes are exaggerated and stylized with hand animation.

Valravn

The AI of your companions somtimes act a little weird.
You are sneaking around carefully to not attract the nearby Clicker.
And suddenly you hear loud footsteps from behind.

It's Bill, who runs in front of the clicker to your location. WTH Bill.

The AI of your companions somtimes act a little weird.
You are sneaking around carefully to not attract the nearby Clicker.
And suddenly you hear loud footsteps from behind.

It's Bill, who runs in front of the clicker to your location. WTH Bill.

Enemies completely ignore them though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Firstly: loving this game

Secondly: I'm so sick of stairwells with junk clogging them up. I understand why they're so common, but they're a giant "YOU'RE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" sign. They probably stand out so much because everything else in the indoor environments is so impressive.

DatDude

Banned
iN3JncziLwvED.jpg

Not mine. But still hilarious. Thanks to whoever made this! lol

Fjordson

How do you guys use the bow? Like in what situations? I figured it would be a nice stealth weapon when I'm sneaking around an encounter, but I can't hit shit with it. Is it simply a weak weapon or do I just suck?

DatDude

Banned
How do you guys use the bow? Like in what situations? I figured it would be a nice stealth weapon when I'm sneaking around an encounter, but I can't hit shit with it. Is it simply a weak weapon or do I just suck?

It's the best fucking weapon in the entire game.

I was ignorant until the later chapters until i realized how strong it is.

Upgrade your sway, and upgrade dat bow.

Why?

-It's stealth weapon. Enemies won't be alerted when you use it on them.
-2 shots from the bow and down goes a clicker
-Fast reload
-Can collect your arrow if they didn't break
-Extremely satisfying to nail a long shot.

Nozem

I wonder if TLOU was a relatively cheap game to develop, compared to an Uncharted game.

There are no giant epic set pieces exploding all around you, everything is (obviously) very desolate.

Even the music is very basic, often only one instrument. No giant orchestra's to hire.

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder if TLOU was a relatively cheap game to develop, compared to an Uncharted game.

There are no giant epic set pieces exploding all around you, everything is (obviously) very desolate.

Even the music is very basic, often only one instrument. No giant orchestra's to hire.
Time is what costs, TLoU was almost certainly more expensive.

LastNac

Well, each Uncharted was made on a budget in the $20 millionish range, not that costly really when you think about it.

I'd say TLoU was more expensive actually.

I'm sorry but I'd say you suck :)
For moving targets you need to compensate for movement while aiming.
A shot to the body is a one hit kill if the enemy isn't in alert mode.

Polygon's score seems so ridiculous now. That fake cover is hilarious though.

DatDude

Banned

The music might be basic, but they hired the oscar winning guiatar player "gustavo santaolalla" who composed many award winning films like babel, biutiful, the motorcycle diaries, and others.

his price tag alone must've been a pretty high one.

Fjordson

I'm sorry but I'd say you suck :)
For moving targets you need to compensate for movement while aiming.
A shot to the body is a one hit kill if the enemy isn't in alert mode
Alright, guess I need to try using it again.

I have to say, this game starts to shine when you get some more weapons and more options in combat. The first few hours were interesting narratively, but gameplay wise it sort of sucks compared to what comes after you meet Bill. Game really takes off after that.

DatDude

Banned

I have to say, this game starts to shine when you get some more weapons and more options in combat. The first few hours were interesting narratively, but gameplay wise it sort of sucks compared to what comes after you meet Bill. Game really takes off after that.

your being to kind. everything before bill was fucking awful.

everything from here on out is when the real game begins.

Krisprolls

Banned

I agree. I thought it started a bit slow (after the fantastic 15 minutes introduction I mean), so I was a bit disappointed in the first 2 hours but it kept getting better and better. Graphics get a lot better after the first few hours too.

Now I'm in love in the game and it definitely lived up to the hype. I liked it a lot better than the Uncharted series.

The emotion, the writing is great, and the gameplay is top notch. Battles are really tense. The cutscenes are among the best and the most beautiful I've ever seen, that look Ellie has, the light in her eyes, you really want to save her. You really feel involved in the story.

Just starting "Fall" though and people say the best is yet to come.

AniHawk

your being to kind. everything before bill was fucking awful.

everything from here on out is when the real game begins.

i'm really glad this is the consensus, because i felt like i was going to piss people off like with my opinion of uncharted 2 again. the last of us is waaaaaaaaaay better than anything naughty dog's produced in the last decade, at least after those first few hours. i don't think it's so much the weapons and crafting and such either (i almost never use them outside of emergencies). it's more or less the level design and scenarios that greatly improve.

Yeah. It sucks that in New Game +, you don't start with all your weapons. I know it would make the game easier, but 1) you can only play NG+ on the difficulty you already beat and 2) I at least like to play NG+ to experience the greater tactical possibilities that having all the weapons and upgrades allow.

Is there any chance we could convince ND to change that?

DatDude

Banned
Your being too harsh lol.

Game was good till bill.

It was "okay" till bill.

I definitely felt lost in all these 10/10's the press were throwing around. I was like WTF, when does this actually start getting good.

Than walking in the woods to bill it really just began to click for me.

I just got to
Fall
. Any rough idea on how far through the game I might be? Thanks.

Depending on how you play, 6-7 hours left? More than Half way basically i would say.

i'm really glad this is the consensus, because i felt like i was going to piss people off like with my opinion of uncharted 2 again. the last of us is waaaaaaaaaay better than anything naughty dog's produced in the last decade, at least after those first few hours. i don't think it's so much the weapons and crafting and such either (i almost never use them outside of emergencies). it's more or less the level design and scenarios that greatly improve.

To me, the pitsburgh fights were a breadth of fresh air. Just tons of fun. Also, it helps that the narrative begins to pick it up as well.

DatDude

Banned
Yeah. It sucks that in New Game +, you don't start with all your weapons. I know it would make the game easier, but 1) you can only play NG+ on the difficulty you already beat and 2) I at least like to play NG+ to experience the greater tactical possibilities that having all the weapons and upgrades allow.

maybe possible via a patch?

we should ask Arne.

I also really wish they would make the hint button pop (L3) up whenever you need it to (instead of idling around for to long in one area).

It would really help in certain scenarios where i just got to damn frustrated on what i should be doing next.

Multiplayer = Godly!! I can't believe they made such an amazing and fun multiplayer. Found 3 people online who added me and we joined a party. When you're communicating, its so awesome!
Yep multiplayer is amazing. I had this long post written up yesterday about it but it disappeared on me.

I add all the randoms I can that have mics for this multiplayer. Teamwork and communication are the most important factors to doing well consistently, and is really the only way to succeed in most scenarios. You can't run and gun Call of Duty style and expect to do anything except die and piss off your teammates.

Having a full group of 4 is also a good way to fight against host disconnections because most likely the host will be on your team in that scenario. At least that is what I've noticed, had so many rage quitters through all the matches but we never disconnected.

If you are having trouble getting enough supplies (blue cans) from a match, the First Aid 2 or 3 perks can help out a lot. Bandaging teammates gives a surprising amount of supplies and can potentially be abused like we found out, by figuring out ways to hurt yourself and letting a teammate bandage you up. In fact we were hypothesizing that this was the only way outside of cheating or hacking to have the high number of survivors like that are showing up at the top of the leaderboards. The supplies requirements increases for having so many survivors and becomes much more difficult to maintain without some kind of boosting or other shenanigans going on.

MP just shines when working with a team, and while simply sticking together and marking enemies can help out, it can't really stand up to a full party of mic-users.

I guess it's not really made clear until after you do it, but quitting from games early is a severe detriment to your survivor pool and as more people realize this, maybe they will try staying in games. It's much better to get owned in the face and lose than getting owned and quitting early. It might not feel much better and actually may feel worse, as you have to stick around the whole game, but it's still better than quitting if you care at all about the meta game around the actual matches. Really though it doesn't mean much outside of the ranking system as the gameplay unlocks are done by supplies, and only appearance customization unlocks come out of survivors/weeks.

The faction you choose at the start means nothing and only superficially changes things. It just determines the flavor of what you are doing, in terms of what side you see teammates and enemies are, and the occasional missions and stuff that pop up. All the dialogue for you and your team will sound like whatever faction you choose, and just choosing one doesn't mean you can't group up with opposing factions. You'll just be on the same team and each person will see their teammates as the faction they chose. So you can have a team that has 3 players seeing enemies as Fireflies while one person on that team sees them as Hunters. It's kind of weird but doesn't really affect anything and you certainly can't tell within your own game. You also get to switch once you lose all survivors or make it past week 12.

Going around and getting stashes is the most important objective in matches. The stuff you can build can severely swing the outcome of each encounter. Even having one smoke bomb for the first fight can make a huge difference. The upgraded melee weapon is the greatest defensive and offensive weapon. If someone somehow is next to you, even if they think they have the upper hand, they will most likely be eating a nail sandwich.

There doesn't seem to be any clan functionality or anything so it seems you can only go by friend list. If you want to add me and you are a mic user, send me a PSN friend request! Same username as here on gaf.

Made it as high as 121 survivors but down to 96 right now, Week 10 Day 6 on my second time through. First was as Hunter and now I am a Firefly.

I still haven't touched single player.

derExperte

I am too afraid of spoilers so I would rather not search for the answer myself but what is the point of NG+ then?

Gbraga

It's the best fucking weapon in the entire game.

I was ignorant until the later chapters until i realized how strong it is.

Upgrade your sway, and upgrade dat bow.

Why?

-It's stealth weapon. Enemies won't be alerted when you use it on them.
-2 shots from the bow and down goes a clicker
-Fast reload
-Can collect your arrow if they didn't break
-Extremely satisfying to nail a long shot.

You don't need 2 arrows, just one headshot :p

nib95

Banned
Upgraded bow is pretty amazing, at default it's not so hot.

Bow is the weapon of choice if you want to go stealthy. Many segments I used the bow to clear entire area's of enemies without a single person noticing me. Plus you can grab the arrow off their dead body so it recycles ammo.

Like you said though, you have to upgrade it a bit before it's useful. At least the time it takes to draw back anyway.

Necessary MP improvements

1: Proportional quitting punishments
2: Proportional Mission requirements between Survivors and Supply Raid
3: Missions do not count unless you play from the start
4: Save as you go mission progress, do not lose progress as punishment for quitting
5: Prioritise executions over reviving
6: Remove melee boost with body armour
7: Matches must end with an execution, down only if timer runs out*
8: No Listen Mode playlists

Preference:

1: One shot to the chest kills any downed opponent, with any gun
2: Command-wheel
3: Less Bill's Town pls

*It looks better/more satisfying, and it makes execution missions more problematic when a round can be over with 3 executions

j-wood

I got extremely lucky in the hotel basement:

I cleared out the upper and lower floors first, because I just knew turning that generator on would start something. So I turned it on and start to run for the keycard door. There is a running right before all those spores I have to punch and kill. I then turn around to melee whatever is behind me. It's a bloater. I die. lol

So I reload and do the generator again. Spring for the door except...there is no running this time, and no bloater behind me. I opened the door and came through unscathed!

Then I played through until Fall started. The henry situation actually made me depressed. The facial animations during those scenes were incredible.

Owensboro

Alright, this game has taught me something. I've got something to confess GAF... I'm.... well.... gosh, I can't even type it...

I'M ADDICTED TO SCISSORS.

Scissors! Scissors! Scissors! I just can't help myself. I run into a room, rifle through someone's belongings, OH MAN ARE THOSE SCISSORS! HOLY SHIT. Gotta grab em. Every time I see a pair they sparkle from across the room, taunting me. It doesn't even matter if they are whole. I'll take broken scissors, half scissors, dull scissors... hell, even partially broken 1/4 scissors. My addiction knows know end. It's a horrible never ending cycle of getting scissors only to use them to brutally murder something that is standing in front of another pair of scissors. Each time I find a new pair the high is exactly as good as the last time. I don't care where I find them. In a house? Pile of trash? Filthy water in the sewer? Doesn't matter, I'm going to get those scissors and tie them to a bat, or make a shiv, or make a
scissor bomb
which are only going to allow me to get more....more...MORE.

Alcohol? Who cares! Rags? Smelly useless crap. Tape? only if it can hold my scissors together. SCISSORS!

Whew... just had to get that out.

Just got to (65%)
Fall
. I won't lie, I got spoiled on the idea of what would happen, but I didn't know how it would go down. Daaaaaamn.

Also, if the apocalypse ever comes, I'm never setting foot in a basement or sewer. I thought at this age I would stop being afraid of the dark. NOPE.

DjRoomba

Banned
Alright I feel this game finally clicked for me after you go through the flooded hotel. Just got up to meeting his brother at the dam, and really enjoyed last few hours.
Good god this is one slow to start game.
Feel like that should have been mentioned in reviews, Ive seen no reviews say any such thing besides overwhelming glowing praise.

thefro

It was "okay" till bill.

I definitely felt lost in all these 10/10's the press were throwing around. I was like WTF, when does this actually start getting good.

Than walking in the woods to bill it really just began to click for me.

Agreed... I just got to Bill last night and probably played for another 30 minutes and the game definitely got quite a bit better at this point. You've actually got some more options of things to do now.

I am too afraid of spoilers so I would rather not search for the answer myself but what is the point of NG+ then?
Bascially you start with all your upgrades and accumulated upgrade points. Your weapons remain upgraded but you only get them when you find them as usual. You don't start with all your weapons

I mean sure it might break the immersion and be easier. But by design, a NG+ is going to be easier and the best part about NG+ is usually using your late game weapons/skills early in the game, allowing for more tactics, etc.

Rize_21

Hmm :/Can you guys please help me?
I'm stuck in the sewer,right before the hospital,I'm at 95% but I haven't a single idea how to reach the platform alongside the wall,Ellie is standing on the cargo truck waiting for something to happen apparently...maybe jumping?there's no hint showing,I'm getting frustated to fall in the water,get back on the cargo truck,fall again,it seems that there's a scale under,but I can't reach it...argh...I'm taking a break for now.

Enemies completely ignore them though.

They ignore certain aspects, but the AI can screw you when stealthing by it being out in the open or walking into an enemy. Enemy AI is very lax though on detecting the npc companions and seems to ignore their sound, but have had the companion AI turn a corner into an enemy and start fighting or ruin my stealth.

Kyoufu

Does anyone know if manually saving the game then loading the saved game will put you back in the exact spot you saved? Like mid-encounters for example?

Gbraga

Bascially you start with all your upgrades and accumulated upgrade points. Your weapons remain upgraded but you only get them when you find them as usual. You don't start with all your weapons

I mean sure it might break the immersion and be easier. But by design, a NG+ is going to be easier and the best part about NG+ is usually using your late game weapons/skills early in the game, allowing for more tactics, etc.

Agreed, it may break the immersion, but that's why you unlock it after you beat the game once and experience the narrative the way it was designed. The gameplay is very good, please let us play with it.

Top Bottom