• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Gbraga

Speaking of cinematic moments I recorded my entire play through and some awesome stuff happened. Here is one that really stuck out to me. There are no spoilers so it should be ok to post but if not let me know and I'll just put the link there instead.

Thought I had cleared the area only to have Ellie shout "Behind you!". Pulled the trigger but it didn't matter lol.

i6rIwVXMMq3w5.gif

should've used quick turn :p

DatDude

Banned
The game has been out for less than a week. It took them three and half years to make. Why don't you give it a rest before you start getting up their ass. Give them a fucking break. They've made basically the game of the generation. Give them some air to breathe for christs sake.

You didn't even buy the game right? Didn't you just stalk out redbox? Endless praise for a company which you gave no money towards.

I'm not trying to "go up there ass." All I'm trying is to let them be aware that there is high demand for a ps4 edition. If they don't see demand, than they'll never make a ps4 edition imo.

Also, while i did redbox the game, I plan on purchasing the game later this Week. I know most gamers are okay with giving out 60 dollars for any AAA game, but I can't allow myself to get so easily burned if the game turned out to be shit.

The Lamp

I like how they act while in combat/in the "where the fuck did he go" mode, but the pure unalert AI is dumb as rocks. Stood out the most throughout pittsburgh, a whole lot of hiding in spots where Joel's head was visible but out of technical line of sight

Joel's head naturally usually sticks out a bit whenever he's behind cover, just like his gun will sometimes point out past the wall when taking cover. It's a natural thing when game characters take cover. I have yet to ever see a video game that isn't forgiving to characters taking cover and pieces of their body slightly sticking out. Why? Because if they weren't forgiving, the game wouldn't be fun to play. You wouldn't be able to get close to the edges of any object or wall in the game because the limbs and hats and shoes and guns of characters would immediately alert the line of sight of any enemies.

choke outs being loud while a guy is right next by, crouch walking right by people and hearing that noise build up but go away when you go behind something again,

Context. I've choked out people nearby and been caught, it depends on if you're in the line of sight and, after all, you have no idea how loud the choking is to that person, you can only hear it from Joel's magnified distance/perspective.

Ultimately, considerations are made for the gameplay and fun. That's why they have that dull bass noise get louder when your risk of being noticed is increasing.

In real life, if you were seen, you'd be seen, but in this game you can be in the line of sight for a limited amount of time before the enemy is actually alert to your presence. This varies based on context, like how close you are, the noise you're making, etc. But it's this way because this is how Naughty Dog found the gameplay to mesh with the type of stealth they were designing and it's how they found it to be fun, and I agree.

visibly seeing a bottle fly out of a spot in cover but still going to check out the noise it creates, stuff like that.

I'll give you this, but once again, the game just wouldn't be fun if it was overly harsh on you.

Real life stealth is not fun. It's boring, painstaking, takes forever, and you mess up once, you're done. It's not that the AI is dumb by mistake or anything, it's that Naughty Dog took considerations for the game to be enjoyable.

Also, while i did redbox the game, I plan on purchasing the game later this Week. I know most gamers are okay with giving out 60 dollars for any AAA game, but I can't allow myself to get so easily burned if the game turned out to be shit.

I don't care about you renting a game, but a Naughty Dog game being shit? Haha.

antitrop

Ah, sorry. I'm mostly avoiding this thread in fear of running into the tiniest spoilers.
I wasn't trying to be condescending, if maybe it came off that way. After reading my own post there is a tiny bit of unintentional berating, as if I somehow expected you to have read every single post in the thread. Poor phrasing on my part, I guess.

antitrop

Speaking of cinematic moments I recorded my entire play through and some awesome stuff happened. Here is one that really stuck out to me. There are no spoilers so it should be ok to post but if not let me know and I'll just put the link there instead.

Thought I had cleared the area only to have Ellie shout "Behind you!". Pulled the trigger but it didn't matter lol.

i6rIwVXMMq3w5.gif
So awesome.

It's like you're using the PS4 share feature on the PS3. :p

televator

God this is amazing, I can't stop watching. The Last of Us combat in a nutshell.

80 gig fatty over here. From '09 I think.

I have a feeling I'm going to want to play TLoU tomorrow and it's just gonna spit the disc back out at me. It's too much for him, poor thing.

GDDR5 SAVE ME

I've definitely had an enemy whiff when I crouched.

Whatever Sony techs did to my refurb'd 60GB held together for the game thankfully, but yeah that fan was on full blast. lol This refurb'd PS3 really has been a champ though. It's lasted 3 times longer than my original so far. With the PS2 emulator on my PC and getting a CFW slim I'll be able to retire this old console.

Had a multipalyer glitch where the camera stayed at the spawn point, even if I ran around. It went back to normal when I started aiming... but it would float back to the spawn when I let go of L1! Had to have a friend guide me around to the toolboxes to build a bomb to kill myself.

God I love
the university
. The swaying trees and bushes, the breeze carrying the leaves, the dusk sky, the haunting silence... the atmosphere in this game is just untouchable. Too many games just can't do this kind of downtime correctly. It's more than just some forced walking segment here, not just some stroll through a path with scripted events spelling everything out for you. There's a logical architecture and incredible sense of place, you can almost feel its dark history. Dead ends with nothing to collect that you're actually happy to find because you get to explore more, a bit of understated character interaction as you wander. And it serves the gameplay... the tension when you find a broken window or door to enter is so high. This game man, this fucking game

Is there any way to sneak past the encounter (late late 97% spoiler)
with the army of firefly guys in the hospital that are decked out in armor? I've only got 3 shiv strikes available and 1 bullet for my rifle that has armor pierce, other guns are empty. This fight wouldn't be much of an issue if I upgraded the fucking magnum. Only have a sliver of health so I can't afford to get into a firefight.

AniHawk

46%. the part immediately after the
generator, i upgraded my bow and arrow and it was the right choice. took everyone down with that thing and diversion tactics. such an awesome weapon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Joel's head naturally usually sticks out a bit whenever he's behind cover, just like his gun will sometimes point out past the wall when taking cover. It's a natural thing when game characters take cover. I have yet to ever see a video game that isn't forgiving to characters taking cover and pieces of their body slightly sticking out. Why? Because if they weren't forgiving, the game wouldn't be fun to play. You wouldn't be able to get close to the edges of any object or wall in the game because the limbs and hats and shoes and guns of characters would immediately alert the line of sight of any enemies.

Context. I've choked out people nearby and been caught, it depends on if you're in the line of sight and, after all, you have no idea how loud the choking is to that person, you can only hear it from Joel's magnified distance/perspective.

Ultimately, considerations are made for the gameplay and fun. That's why they have that dull bass noise get louder when your risk of being noticed is increasing.

In real life, if you were seen, you'd be seen, but in this game you can be in the line of sight for a limited amount of time before the enemy is actually alert to your presence. This varies based on context, like how close you are, the noise you're making, etc. But it's this way because this is how Naughty Dog found the gameplay to mesh with the type of stealth they were designing and it's how they found it to be fun, and I agree.

I'll give you this, but once again, the game just wouldn't be fun if it was overly harsh on you.

Real life stealth is not fun. It's boring, painstaking, takes forever, and you mess up once, you're done. It's not that the AI is dumb by mistake or anything, it's that Naughty Dog took considerations for the game to be enjoyable.

I don't care about you renting a game, but a Naughty Dog game being shit? Haha.

I specifically mentioned the sticking out thing because due to the way the autocover stuff works, you are always "hidden" as long as Joel is touching against something and faced away from the person, regardless of actual model height. For areas in the hotel against a bed, it wasn't just sticking out slightly, he was basically completely visible. It's just a gameplay quirk, but it ends up dealing with the same type of issue with the companion AI running right into clickers as a world breaker. I fully understand that it is very hard to avoid these instances, especially to keep the gameplay fluid and not frustrating.

Same with the choke out thing, I'm well aware context would matter, but maybe videos would demonstrate it more. I literally mean doing a choke grab while someone was RIGHT next to him in the same room, and another instance where I was choking someone out and an AI walked past the room, looked in while walking by but wasn't looking long enough to go into alert, so he ended up walking more and said "the fuck is he?", lol.

I wouldn't worry much about me saying this stuff either. I am anally critical of games in general, and the times this all cropped up in TLoU isn't a big issue considering the wealth of content here. I dig the game a lot and like what the humans do in actual combat, but I still wouldn't praise the unalert state at all, it's all very typical stealth game level.

Absinthian

Neo Member
I just realized
you need to beat the game at least 8 times to get a platinum trophy + multiplayer stuff... If you beat the game on normal it does not also give you the trophy for easy mode.

Anyone have tips for getting through
end of the sewers (when the group gets split up and there's tons of Infected)
on Survival mode?

Getting my ass handed to me over and over. Have no nail bombs, no molotovs, no health packs, one shiv. I tried running to the ladder but it's not letting me press triangle until I kill everyone it seems. Argh, was breezing through the levels and this part makes me wanna break a controller.

The part where you're alone with Sam? It took me awhile but I managed to get through sneaking up on runners and killing them with an arrow, it only takes one hit and I had a total of two arrows so some luck was involved in the arrows not breaking. I choked the one or two that were completely safe to choke. I shivved the Clickers. If you got the skill book I think you should have at least more than one use with the shiv, and there are three Clickers down there I think. I've heard that you can melee punch and kill a clicker with a brick, but I've never tried it. So take out the ones you can with the shiv, and try that. It could work. This was probably the hardest part for me in Survival.

DatDude

Banned
Is there any way to sneak past the encounter (late late 97% spoiler)
with the army of firefly guys in the hospital that are decked out in armor? I've only got 3 shiv strikes available and 1 bullet for my rifle that has armor pierce, other guns are empty. This fight wouldn't be much of an issue if I upgraded the fucking magnum. Only have a sliver of health so I can't afford to get into a firefight.

your SUPPOSED to sneak.

Going the combat route is practically impossible.

spootime

Just finished it. Man talk about a story... I think this game might be my favorite video game story of all time. Not gameplay, because there were a few sequences that I thought were a lot like the end chase sequence in AC3 - unnecessarily frustrating and not needed. The presentation is just beautiful though. This is the first game that I would place into a category of storytelling on par with some of my favorite movies - just an absolute masterpiece.

One thing I really appreciate about the game is that I always felt a sense of purpose when I was playing. In games like Halo, I feel like the story is somewhat constructed around bringing you into different environments, for example "get the key from the ice level, now go use the key in the sand level, ok you got the map now go to the forest level." In The Last of Us I felt that my motives were always clear and present.

To be honest this is probably my favorite single player game of all time. The amazingly crafted story makes up for the (rarely) lackluster gameplay. 10/10

your SUPPOSED to sneak.

Going the combat route is practically impossible.

I tried to a couple times and ended up bumping into another
3 dudes at the end of the hallway where the desk is
so I thought I had to start killing dudes.

Worst part was that each attempt to kill everyone took me like 10 minutes a piece lol

Fuark

LegendX48

I just realized
you need to beat the game at least 8 times to get a platinum trophy + multiplayer stuff... If you beat the game on normal it does not also give you the trophy for easy mode.

uh...beating the game on normal does give you the trophy for easy mode, it did for me anyway and beating survivor gave me the trophy for both survivor and hard mode :|

televator

I just realized

....but it did for me. Got a silver for normal and a bronze for easy in one normal play through.

Also, why'd you spoiler tag that?

jediyoshi

I just realized

Sounds like a bug then, normal should get you easy completion. Though it is weird if you're the type to start on normal and then go to normal +. Cause then your path has to go down hard -> survivor -> survivor +

ThisOne

I just realized

I think that is a known bug. One of the developers mentioned it in this thread last night.

I am doing everything as slow as possible, and trying to stay in every new environment for as long as I can.

I also love the enemy encounters, clickers specifically are some of the most distinct enemies I've seen in recent times.

Started playing this afternoon after updating to 4.45 (dodged that bullet, apparently), and just entered the first
Clicker section that was in the E3 2012 demo.

Wow, what a game. I've still got miles to go no doubt and already I think its amazing. Apart from the obvious technical issues like teammates clipping through each other and sometimes some very dumb A.I, it's been a tense thrill ride.

I teared up a bit when that trigger happy soldier shot Joels daughter. That almost never happens to me with games. So much for kids not dying in videogames.

antitrop

I am doing everything as slow as possible, and trying to stay in every new environment for as long as I can.

I also love the enemy encounters, clickers specifically are some of the most distinct enemies I've seen in recent times.
I dunno, it's gonna be hard to top the "Motorized Patriot" from Bioshock Infinite as far as enemy types go this year for me.

There's no single enemy in The Last of Us that I think is as cool as that from a design/creativity perspective.

DjRoomba

Banned
Okay guys Ive tried to give this game a chance but at about 5 hrs in I still am missing the goodness.
I did not play the gunfights in Uncharted 2/3 and the ultra tedious zombie battles in Uncharted 1 and think "why dont they make a game thats just this"
It sure is a nice looking game though

Okay guys Ive tried to give this game a chance but at about 5 hrs in I still am missing the goodness.
I did not play the gunfights in Uncharted 2/3 and the ultra tedious zombie battles in Uncharted 1 and think "why dont they make a game thats just this"
It sure is a nice looking game though

Well it's a good thing the guns, and infected encounters in this game handle nothing like either equivalent in Uncharted then.

And done. Wow! One of the best games I've played in a long long time. Married great story, great characters and all things considered really good gameplay in one excellent package.

Well done Naughty Dogs

antitrop

I'm only at 70%, but seeing all everyone finish the game before me is killing me. Especially knowing there's interesting conversations taking place in the spoiler thread.

I plan to marathon the game after work tomorrow long into the evening and finish it. I figure I have about 4-5 hours left.

ThisOne

I'm only at 70%, but seeing all everyone finish the game before me is killing me. Especially knowing there's interesting conversations taking place in the spoiler thread.

I plan to marathon the game after work tomorrow long into the evening and finish it. I figure I have about 4-5 hours left.

Where are you at?

ThisOne

Did anyone make a multiplayer thread? I'm wondering if you're invincible while performing a special execution. I've shot guys multiple times while they're doing one and it doesn't seem to do anything, yet when I'm doing one, it seems like I take damage. What gives?

Squire

Banned
Just got to Winter. Stopped for the night.

This game is the real fuckin' deal. The handling and the growth of these characters relationship is the best I've seen in a game. It gets better and better and it's to the point I'm almost floored.

Top Bottom