• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

otapnam

Arrow headshot, bash them with a brick when you get close enough and get the "grab" prompt, or just avoid altogether.

Molotovs also kill them quick but its in your best interest not to waste one of them on a single enemy.

wrangle a few clickers with bottles then use the molotov. tis the way to go in a high enemy area

cameron

What's the best way to deal with Clickers if I don't have a shiv?

I'm trying to just use stealth and take enemies out from behind at the moment (minor location spoiler:
I'm in the museum, just got split from Tess and Ellie)
- A hallway of about 3/4 clickers and taking one out alerts the others if I can't use a shiv.

I'm restarting sections like 10-12 times before I just give up and brute force through it and waste all my bullets - It's getting kind of tedious tbh.

Avoid them. You can alter their patrols by tossing a brick/bottle to distract.

While The Last of Us is damn finely paced, Resident Evil 4 is still king in that regard.

Not me, not Capcom, not anyone knows how the fuck they did it. But they did.
I don't agree. It's been a while since I played RE4, but wasn't it bascially an nonstop ramping up in terms of action, mixed with puzzles?

IMO TLOU was perfect. It started off with a bang, then slows down to introduce the characters, world, and motivations. The narrative is laid down. There are a few violent conflicts. Then pacing begins picking, ramping up tension and exploding at certain points before dropping back down to allow character development and exploration. Then the pacing just takes off like a rocket in later half

The slow exploration areas and the tene action encounters complement eachother, giving each meaning and weight. If it was just action, action, action like RE4, then the violence conflicts might lose its thematic power

IMO, of course

Arrow headshot, bash them with a brick when you get close enough and get the "grab" prompt, or just avoid altogether. Up close and personal with the shotgun is also awesome.

Molotovs also kill them quick but its in your best interest not to waste one of them on a single enemy.
My favorite technique (hint only, no story spoilers -->)
Is to toss a brick or bottle first - that gets the clickers and runner's attention and causes them to bunch up, and THEN throw the molotov and get the whole group. Super effective.

Melee weapons work too right? Just not fists.

krae_man

What's the best way to deal with Clickers if I don't have a shiv?

I'm trying to just use stealth and take enemies out from behind at the moment (minor location spoiler:
I'm in the museum, just got split from Tess and Ellie)
- A hallway of about 3/4 clickers and taking one out alerts the others if I can't use a shiv.

I'm restarting sections like 10-12 times before I just give up and brute force through it and waste all my bullets - It's getting kind of tedious tbh.

Have you tried bricks or glass bottles? Those are always scattered everywhere.

Arrow headshot, bash them with a brick when you get close enough and get the "grab" prompt, or just avoid altogether. Up close and personal with the shotgun is also awesome.

Don't have a bow yet and the first molotov I came across I wasted immediately on a single enemy just to see what effect it had! :)

Avoid them. You can alter their patrols by tossing a brick/bottle to distract.
Will give this a go thanks. Haven't had luck with this type of thing so far but the enemies weren't all clickers.

solarus

Ok my asshole brother spoiled this
ellie is immune
has that ruined a huge plot point and I'm assuming something you find out much later? Really bummed.

Ok my asshole brother spoiled this
ellie is immune
has that ruined a huge plot point and I'm assuming something you find out much later? Really bummed.

i thought this was revealed from the very beginning of this game's announcement?

regardless, that's revealed very early on in the game itself.

not a big deal.

Zemm

I dunno if people noticed this but watching the documentary one of the animators explained one of the fight animations. Basically you can punch someone and once they are on their knees, if you press L1 to aim a gun it will automatically aim at their head, making the kill look pretty amazing if I may say so. Tried it in-game and it does indeed work that way.

maomaoIYP

I've made it all the way into week 12 in the MP only to realize that buying items do not deduct from the final supplies bonus that you get based on your total parts collected. Fuckkkkkk I've been going without armor all this while!!

I'm quoting myself so that more people who play the MP can see this. It's a game changer, I just had a game where I rocked the shotgun with armor on, and killed 3 dudes who swarmed me. Ended that match with +99 supplies.

nib95

Banned
While The Last of Us is damn finely paced, Resident Evil 4 is still king in that regard.

Not me, not Capcom, not anyone knows how the fuck they did it. But they did.

LoU is in a different league to RE4 imo, which admittedly for it's time was a benchmark. But LoU takes survival horror and pushes it to a place no other game has dared go. The narrative, characters, set pieces, gunplay, music, art direction, everything. It makes RE4 looks slightly immature and more typically "game" like.

Zemm

Anyone else playing on Survivor mode been incredibly late getting the Hunting Rifle? I just got to where you get the shotgun and I still don't have it :/ Originally got it right after the
museum

Nope, all the guns have been in the same spot as they were on normal mode for me.

antitrop

LoU is in a different league to RE4 imo, which admittedly for it's time was a benchmark. But LoU takes survival horror and pushes it to a place no other game has dared go. The narrative, characters, set pieces, gunplay, music, art direction, everything. It makes RE4 looks slightly immature and more typically "game" like.
Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time and The Last of Us is slowly getting there as I edge closer to completion, but I would like to play RE4 again before I start comparing the two directly.

My memory of RE4 is fuzzy, after all it's been 8 years (has it really been that long?) since I played it.

Owensboro

Dude, Ellie's
joke book.

60%-ish:
Joke Sam tells to Ellie after she pulls out her joke book: "Why can't your nose be 12 inches long? Because then it would be a Foot."
One thing that always bugged me.

*stuns clicker with a brick and runs up to finish with melee*
*ally shoots clicker breaking it out of stun animation*
*gets eaten by clicker*

I dunno if I made a mistake or not but it is still annoying when it happens.

Things that have annoyed me:
1)*shiv only has one use left*
*find new shiv on table, but can't pick it up because shivs are "full"*

2)*find shiv door*
*have shiv with 1 bar of durability left*
*open door, wastes 100% durability shiv instead of the one about to break*

Andrew.

Banned
Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite games of all time and The Last of Us is slowly getting there as I edge closer to completion, but I would like to play RE4 again before I start comparing the two directly.

My memory of RE4 is fuzzy, after all it's been 8 years (has it really been that long?) since I played it.

Resident Evil 4 is one of those game experiences where if I dont play it at least once a year, I begin to die a little inside.

Vire

Resident Evil 4 is one of those game experiences where if I dont play it at least once a year, I begin to die a little inside.

I thought I was the only one who did that.

Games that usually play every year at least once for a bit:

1. Halo CE

2. RE4

3. Metroid Prime

4. Super Mario Bros 3.

All still hold up amazingly well

Andrew.

Banned
There are less than 10 games that I can say I've finished more than once. Replaying games isn't really my thing.

Please tell me The Line is one of the lucky few..

Oh yeah Vire. For me its re4 and Chrono Trigger with either Mario World or DKC. It's an annual thing.

Raxus

Because of this RE4 makes a better 'game' then TLoU but it is going for something completely different than TLoU. I could probably write paragraphs on this but I would rather avoid comparing two very different games.

nib95

Banned

I replayed it on the Wii briefly, still awesome. But a lot of the drive is nostalgia based. It's still a tad cheesy and dramatic, and the gunplay/gameplay is still marred by the same issues that many RE games were plagued with, eg not being able to run/move and shoot at the same time. Still find the gunplay incredibly satisfying though. Those head shots! That said, I feel like LoU is the next step in evolution for survival horror games, and for narratives in gaming in general. Both are phenomenal, but yea, LoU easily takes the biscuit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The excessively forgiving checkpointing kills a lot of the "survival horror" in The Last of Us, in my opinion. I still get the vibe and enjoy it, but it's unnecessary.

My housemate watched me play a lot today, and we had a pretty long discussion about the merits of checkpointing and how interactive projects best develop sensations of tension, horror, and survivalism with the player. Was interesting to see his perspective, compared to me. He's definitely very much in the save-everywhere frequent-checkpointing camp, and finds having to retread a lot of ground due to a failure/death to be very annoying and detrimental to his gaming experience. Whereas I'm more the opposite. I like survivalism to be a potent element in the way levels, encounters, pacing, and progression is designed. The typewriter save system in Resident Evil is a classic yet beautifully poignant example of this approach in action.

So yeah, as much as I'm enjoying The Last of Us, the actual horror/tension element is lost on me a bit due how frequent and forgiving the checkpointing is. Similarly for the scavenging and item management. It's not too difficult to cheese some of the encounters and items are plentiful enough that I haven't really had to worry about managing my resources. There's no real long term planning, I guess is what I'm saying, due to how tightly structured and linear the set pieces and encounters are paced.

So far, anywho. Still not halfway, I don't think. Tomorrow after I mow the lawn I'll sink back into it.

Ive been playing this game before bed, and every night I've been having sad dreams. It has creeped into my subconscious now.

Dude, I had a dream last night where I cut off someone's leg. Fucking freaked me out.

I think it was because I rewatched the cutscene in winter where they're cutting up that body on the table

nib95

Banned
The excessively forgiving checkpointing kills a lot of the "survival horror" in The Last of Us, in my opinion. I still get the vibe and enjoy it, but it's unnecessary.

My housemate watched me play a lot today, and we had a pretty long discussion about the merits of checkpointing and how interactive projects best develop sensations of tension, horror, and survivalism with the player. Was interesting to see his perspective, compared to me. He's definitely very much in the save-everywhere frequent-checkpointing camp, and finds having to retread a lot of ground due to a failure/death to be very annoying and detrimental to his gaming experience. Whereas I'm more the opposite. I like survivalism to be a potent element in the way levels, encounters, pacing, and progression is designed. The typewriter save system in Resident Evil is a classic yet beautifully poignant example of this approach in action.

So yeah, as much as I'm enjoying The Last of Us, the actual horror/tension element is lost on me a bit due how frequent and forgiving the checkpointing is. Similarly for the scavenging and item management. It's not too difficult to cheese some of the encounters and items are plentiful enough that I haven't really had to worry about managing my resources. There's no real long term planning, I guess is what I'm saying, due to how tightly structured and linear the set pieces and encounters are paced.

So far, anywho. Still not halfway, I don't think. Tomorrow after I mow the lawn I'll sink back into it.

Second half of the game is much stronger than the first. So don't make your mind up just yet.

Flo_Evans

I'm quoting myself so that more people who play the MP can see this. It's a game changer, I just had a game where I rocked the shotgun with armor on, and killed 3 dudes who swarmed me. Ended that match with +99 supplies.

wut wut wut?

I had stopped buying bullets and crap because I had to feed my growing family lol

Not at all.

Nor did I find the checkpointing too forgiving. There were plenty of occasions where you're in a large area and making one mistake could be fatal and reset the entire encounter.

I consider myself an average to good video gamer, and normal was a little easy. I always had a lot of ammo and health. Of course if I messed up and wasted allot of supplies or got too much damage I would abuse the "restart encounter" There where some tough sections, but it was mostly to me being physically tired (3am). I wish I would of started on hard.

I noticed that one of the documents says 'you' instead of 'your'. Game ruined. 1/10.

There are a lot of small typos. They use regular dashes when they should em-dash (but occasionally there's an em-dash), and they don't have the proper spacing for ellipses.

What I'm saying is, they should hire me so I can edit their script and shit.

Not at all.

Nor did I find the checkpointing too forgiving. There were plenty of occasions where you're in a large area and making one mistake could be fatal and reset the entire encounter.

There are also quite a few places where you kill 3 people, die, and those three people are still dead when restart. Happened to me when
Ellie gets the rifle.

Ourobolus

Banned
Actually, I have a problem with the checkpoints system - sorta. I hate that there's a difference between "Die and Respawn" and "Restart Checkpoint." Sometimes I get into a situation where I know I'm fucked (or I get tired of seeing the death animation), and I'll want to restart at the nearest checkpoint. Say it's a fight that has two stages (and I'm on the second part), like when you fight the guys outside the library/bookstore and then fight them inside.

If I just die, I'll respawn halfway through the fight. If I manually restart, it takes me the whole way back to the beginning. It's a minor gripe, and I guess it is nice if for some reason you don't like how the entire fight panned out, but still.

Zarrastro

About forgiveness of the checkpoints... Later game spoilers BE WARNED :)

Ok i just ended Winter. And... I'll just say that i any other game, dying is just that frustrating obstacle. It will only make you yell at the game. But watching Ellie die... That was too heartbreaking for me. First at the hands of the infected and also beaten by one of the humans. Honestly, it was horrible. This game managed to create a true bond between me and the characters, and watching Ellie fall to the ground, covered in blood, was too much. It was like the Intro again, but this time it was MY fault...
THAT was my reason for survival. I didn't care about the checkpoints. I just didn't want to watch anything like that again.

I agree. There is no real consequence to dying. The game just reloads to the beginning of the encounter and you are set. I've gotten in the bad habit of restarting encounters if they don't play out the way i want (ie, i use a lot of ammo, or get damaged). I need to stop doing that because i'm now pretty well stocked with ammo, and items... which is killing the tension (which is bad). I wan't to be scared shitless like i was during the game intro.

If the game saved less frequently I would have to #dealwithit when i blow through ammo, or get fucked up. Instead, I just reload at the beginning of the encounter and make sure i handle it the way i want.

I think i'm currently about 30% into the single player campaign and really enjoying myself.

Really looking forward to this

untitled8euz3.png

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
For me, the forgiving checkpoint system is fine by me. I have limited gaming time, and the last thing I want is to have to replay 15-20, or even 30 minutes of a section because I died. It doesn't "encourage me to do it better next time." It pisses me off that I wasted 30 minutes of my limited gaming time, and have to waste another 30 minutes of my game time, just to get to a section of the game I haven't seen.

I think the checkpoints in TLoU are spaced well enough, and it doesn't always put me back exactly where I left off, and I do end up having to replay a section, but at the longest, it seems to put me back at a spot that's acceptable to me.

But, different strokes for different folks. I also love Demon's/Dark Souls, and how unforgiving they are, but I don't need all of my games to follow that mold.

Also, RE4 is great, and one of my favorite games for sure, but I think The Last of Us trumps it in the end. The fact that I'm so invested in the characters in the story makes a huge difference for me. Leon is no Joel, and Ashley is no Ellie. RE4 is typical anime* inspired silliness when it comes to its plot and characters, while TLoU is going for something more believable. I still love RE4 with a passion, and it's still great fun to play now than it was back then, but TLoU is a great return of the Survival Horror genre, and reminds me of its potential. I'm already planning out my second playthrough as soon as I finish this first one.

I'd love it if more developers were given the freedom to craft games like The Last of Us.

*That's a gross generalization of anime, as I've seen animes that run the spectrum of silly to complex. I'm a big anime fan. Sorry for the generalization, but I was mainly referring to so many Japanese video games falling into the same tired tropes and cliches and melodrama that is in animes and films.

Jinjo

Nothing like playing some good ol' The Last of Us after slaving on my thesis for a full day in 30 degree (celsius) weather. There is no better incentive to get some work done. Writing has never progressed this quick lol. It has become my nightly ritual very quick.

Top Bottom