• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm currently sitting at 14 hours game time, and 58% complete with the game. I've just completed the
sewers section where the survivors hid out with the children; oh god, that part was heartbreaking!
and now we're in that
beautiful town overlooking the tower we're trying to get to
, and a
sniper is trying to kill us

I wasn't expecting to have such a long game time and only be halfway through the game. By this point, I had already beaten Uncharted 1, 2, and 3, as I usually beat those around the 12 hour mark.

This game is gorgeous though. The area I'm in now just had me marveling at ND's art design. The world just feels so lived in and alive. Simply breathtaking. The intensity of the scenarios are so fantastic. This game is just a different beast than Uncharted. Uncharted was going for Summer blockbuster. This is going for a more subdued, atmospheric and somber approach. The "setpieces," revolve more around intensity and tension, as opposed to, say, falling out of a plane over the desert (which was fricking amazing). ND is just an insane group of talented developers who clearly enjoy creating video games. Flawed to be sure, but man, you can feel the heart they put into their work.

As much as David Cage tries to elevate gaming to a new level of emotional depth(and I enjoy his games, and appreciate his efforts as well), I think ND is nailing that emotional resonance and is being much more effective with pretty much just visual storytelling (and some of the notes and letters you find in people's homes) without feeling forced or heavy handed. Me and my wife were practically in tears during last nights play session.

Getting back to ND's art design, though, this isn't a spoiler I think, but there was a section in the game where me and my wife spent 10 minutes walking around somebody's apartment, piecing together their life, based solely around the paintings they had on their wall, the bird cage and cat posts in the living room, the single pillow on the bed indicating a single parent, and the second bedroom with posters of movies and video games indicating she perhaps had a teenage to college age kid. The tea set and chess board on the coffee table. The fact that a large chunk of these explorable homes have unique assets (with a few things like bookshelves carrying over), just gives the world a believability that is lacking in so many other games that just go for realistic textures and objects, but recycle them throughout 80% of the game. The recycled elements in TLoU are easier to brush aside when there are so many unique elements.

The design of this game should be taught in game design classes, because ND is doing a lot of things with narrative, game play, and art design that not many developers attempt (with some notable exceptions like Valve and Quantic Dream).

Alright, enough gushing. The game isn't perfect, and I've been frustrated during my stealth run, but man, the highs outweigh the lows to the point that the lows just don't bother me (like the spotty stealth and hilarious, "immersion breaking" companion AI).

RuGalz

I was going to pace it out a little but once I reached Winter it was hard to stop at that point so I ended up beating the game last night.

My hands were literally shaking by the end of the night, there were so many intense moments trying to be stealthy. By the last couple encounters, I simply ran out of patience; plus, the story gave me a sense of urgency to move forward quickly, so I utilized everything and just gun through that last part of the game. That felt very satisfactory as well.

While there are things I could pick apart about the game wrt AI or framerate or rendering glitches, there simply hasn't been anything quite like this game. I'm not sure if I can stomach multiple play through; I feel a lot of magic would not be there.

I really want to congratulate Naughty Dog for producing yet another hit. I can't imagine the amount of work went into producing this game. Hopefully they will be able to keep up with the quality in the future. I'd love to see them come up with another IP or two so they have a few to cycle through instead of jumping into sequels right away.

I'm a few hours in, people said game is getting really good after some time.

Nothing special so far to be honest, nowhere near the quality of Uncharted 2 in the first couple of hours.

Took about 4 hours to pickup for me. Only 46% through now after about 7.5 hours and I'm enjoying it alot more but it's still not blowing me away.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You can't, + doesn't allow you to change difficulty upwards.

The first four levels of UC2 are pretty bad. Climbing tutorial, stealth tutorial, explosive charges planting, blue flame cave thing. It's not till Urban Warfare it picks up.

Whaaa? So I have to beat it on Hard before I can do Hard+? That sucks. I wanted to jump up to hard but on new game + to help me out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can't aim the bow for shit. Terrible with analogue aiming and the controller lag drives me crazy.

If I spent more time using it like I know I should I'd be better. BUT SHOTGUN.

Does anyone here with Pulse Elite headsets use the Virtual Surround Sound? Do you'll like it? And what are the proper sound settings for a headset? Should I actually set it to stereo? What about dynamic range?

New thread bump.

Doing my Survival Run in black and white, most of the time it looks amazing and the contrast is great but it has some issues. A minor one is blood and rain drop colors on the screen aren't changed, which can be rather distracting.

The biggest issue though is the tinting is really inconsistent. I assume they wanted to keep lighting condition changes in tact but at times the game isn't in Black and White, it's in blue or (ew) brown. The problem is it can be really inconsistent. You'll be playing in brown only to walk forward and have it turn to Black and White. Very odd.

A good comparison for what I mean by it looks blue would be the Criterion re-release of Soloris.

Solaris-Blue-Tint.jpg

Watching the credits now. I... I feel like the 25 years of gaming I have behind me were leading me to this moment.

God this music...

Wait, Nolan North is
David?!
Fuck...

There are scenes in this game that are burned into my mind. I feel like I actually went on this journey...

Oh, nice touch there...

Ah fucking trophies, glad you didn't pop up during the game, who cares about that shit anyway?

OK, 16:35 hours. 115 collectibles, I wonder how many I missed.

Let's check the unlockables.

Andrew.

Banned
I can't aim the bow for shit. Terrible with analogue aiming and the controller lag drives me crazy.

The bow becomes easier to use and much more stable once you've upgraded it enough, in my opinion at least.

Obviously the weapon sway supplements help a ton.

Speaking of which, I maxed out weapon sway last night and yup, that reticle dont sway for nothin

Grinchy

Banned
Or how about when the arrow doesn't break AND they drop some goodies?

I managed to oneshot a clicker, get my arrow back and pick up six shotgun shells off the body. I was pleased.

Oh yeah that's like christmas morning lol

I haven't played online yet and I have no idea how it plays, but I suspect I will be using the bow.

StuBurns

Banned
The bow becomes easier to use and much more stable once you've upgraded it enough, in my opinion at least.

Obviously the weapon sway supplements help a ton.

Speaking of which, I maxed out weapon sway last night and yup, that reticle dont sway for nothin
Yeah, it's actually really strange to tear through the encounters with no sway, because despite the lack of a reticule, you always basically know where the center of the screen is, you can line up shots perfectly while in cover, so there's no chance of being hit. It's such a different game with the upgrades.

I'm a few hours in, people said game is getting really good after some time.

Nothing special so far to be honest, nowhere near the quality of Uncharted 2 in the first couple of hours.

First bit of the game was pretty good, but nothing amazing. While playing the opening sections, I kept wondering what was so special that kept getting the game 10/10's. Eventually it all clicks though and definitely becomes something special.

I am in the gym. Help. Help me. I don't even.

The bloater? Molotov cocktails and the nail bomb will do for most of him. Other than that, run and shotgun his ass.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, it's actually really strange to tear through the encounters with no sway, because despite the lack of a reticule, you always basically know where the center of the screen is, you can line up shots perfectly while in cover, so there's no chance of being hit. It's such a different game with the upgrades.

Rifle + no sway + rifle power upgrade + scope = BLISS

Too bad I only have two rounds for it =/

Business

You can one shot and stealthily kill a Clicker with the arrow if its a direct (and I mean direct) headshot. Distance might also be a factor too in terms of damage dealt, but Ive done it plenty of times. Its great and incredibly satisfying.

First time I did it was with Bill
at the very beginning of the cemetary

Arrow headshots are one of the best things of this game. The bow was definitely my favourite weapon, followed by the hunter rifle. So satisfying.

aristotle

This is the strategy I've been using, but I always seem to alert the other runners when taking out the one runner in the room to the left of the hallway. It's probably my timing. Thanks.

It might just be your timing. Make sure he doesn't see you at all. If he even glimpses your for a split second before you choke him, he'll make a sound and alert the others. Make sure you're directly behind him when you grab him. I had that same issue until I figured it out.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I was super bad at aiming for first several hours of the game and the shotgun was a revelation. (Also because it has actual stopping power.)

Nonetheless, the bow is awesome for long distance stealth-kills, when you have plenty of time to aim.

I am in the gym. Help. Help me. I don't even.

The Bloater? Stay mobile and keep that thing between you and Bill. Only shoot it in the back, where it's not armored. The timing window for that is, when the Bloater attacks Bill and not you, which is why you keep the distance to Bill. You can also roast it with a molotov if you have one.
Good luck.

Trevelyan

Banned
I beat the game on hard a few days, 14hrs playtime. What a blast and a thrill. However, what was all the medicine stuff you picked up? I found a lot, but never used any of it. What was it for?

Mr. RHC

First bit of the game was pretty good, but nothing amazing. While playing the opening sections, I kept wondering what was so special that kept getting the game 10/10's. Eventually it all clicks though and definitely becomes something special.

The bloater? Molotov cocktails and the nail bomb will do for most of him. Other than that, run and shotgun his ass.

This sounds reassuring!

Can't wait to play the multiplayer by the way, need my third person online fix!

Grinchy

Banned
I beat the game on hard a few days, 14hrs playtime. What a blast and a thrill. However, what was all the medicine stuff you picked up? I found a lot, but never used any of it. What was it for?

lol that was for upgrading your character. It's the middle option when you open up your backpack. You can upgrade listening distance, max health, ect.

Andrew.

Banned

The pill bottles? They're supplements that you can use via the sub menu where crafting and collectibles are to upgrade Joel (life meter, weapon sway, efficient shiv kills etc)

You went through an entire hard run not knowing what those did?

Uh...

Jinjo

Arrow headshots are one of the best things of this game. The bow was definitely my favourite weapon, followed by the hunter rifle. So satisfying.

Only downside is that arrows are so goddamn scarce in this game, so I never get to use it much. Makes that sweet long-distance headshot with your last and only arrow all the more sweeter though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
There. Phys Ed is over. Bill was not doing his job very well which is why it was coming exclusively for me over and over it seems.

This game. Fear Factor 11.

Andrew.

Banned
Only downside is that arrows are so goddamn scarce in this game, so I never get to use it much. Makes that sweet long-distance headshot with your last and only arrow all the more sweeter though.

I dont find them to be that scarce, especially if you search thoroughly. Hell, the bow is actually located in a couple spots other than when you first find it so its like ND is encouraging the use of it. I've always got at least 3 or 4 arrows on hand at all times.

daevv

Got my Futureshop pre-order in the mail today. Gonna brew some coffee and start soon. It worked out that I'm off today from work too. :)

As a trophy hunter I'm gonna do what I did for the 4 Uncharted games and start with a Normal or Hard playthrough just for the story and atmosphere, use chapter select and a guide for the collectibles, then the hard difficulties. MP as always is last.

Sullichin

Stuck in hard mode a couple of checkpoints into the "Fall" chapter.

I need to get to the other side of a bridge. There's an axe to pick up right at the beginning of this encounter. I can't seem to do this part stealthily, I sneak around the right side and i almost always get spotted. When I don't I go all Jack Torrance on their ass with the axe, but invariably I am killed by an impossibly accurate molotov cocktail. I have next to no health and I don't see any health pickups here. Any tips?

Andrew.

Banned
Stuck in hard mode a couple of checkpoints into the "Fall" chapter.

Any bullets? Try and make the molotov guy your main target.

Dont you have the
El Diablo and Shorty
by that time? Those combined with the Jack Torrance special make short work of that area.

Jinjo

I dont find them to be that scarce, especially if you search thoroughly. Hell, the bow is actually located in a couple spots other than when you first find it so its like ND is encouraging the use of it. I've always got at least 3 or 4 arrows on hand at all times.

I search all over the place, found maybe 2 arrow caches. (up until
Fall
) I missed 2 shiv doors due to lack of shivs though, could be that. Guess I also just get unlucky with arrow drops, never had an enemy drop arrows (do they even?). I now have 3 which is the most I've gotten at a single time, but I went a long time without any. And unsurprisingly I am extremely stingy in using them now. I've only ever been able to re-use an arrow once too.

I wish you could craft arrows or something. The bow is awesome.

I feel the same way. Definitely should be able to sacrifice a shiv (scissors + binding) + wood or something to make an arrow.

Replicant

This game has some Uncharted-like frustrating moments.

The part where you are hanging upside down while Ellie tries to lower you down. Fuck that part. I have no problem one-shotting the runners. But the fucking Clicker won't die even with one nicely placed headshot. And he was often too fast before I can aim the 2nd time. It's not until I start shooting at it from far away a couple of times that he collapse by the time I can headshot him. But still, FUCK THAT PART!

Fall
) I missed 2 shiv doors due to lack of shivs though, could be that. Guess I also just get unlucky with arrow drops, never had an enemy drop arrows (do they even?). I now have 3 which is the most I've gotten at a single time, but I went a long time without any. I've only ever been able to re-use an arrow once too.

I'm currently maxed out on arrows, I seem to find plenty. And although I don't use them too much, I've only had one arrow shot that wasn't reusable.

Andrew.

Banned
Fall
) I missed 2 shiv doors due to lack of shivs though, could be that. Guess I also just get unlucky with arrow drops, never had an enemy drop arrows (do they even?). I now have 3 which is the most I've gotten at a single time, but I went a long time without any. I've only ever been able to re-use an arrow once too.

There's definitely plenty of arrows to be found after you meet Bill,
leave the church and go around that small neighborhood
. Enemies do indeed drop them but it's extremely rare for it to happen. It's only occurred a couple times for me so far.

Top Bottom