• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

So I've seen many people here compare TLOU's violent desperate style of stealth to Manhunt. I've never played Manhunt, but the PSN version is 9.99. Is it worth getting? Does the game still hold up?

So I've seen many people here compare TLOU's violent desperate style of stealth to Manhunt. I've never played Manhunt, but the PSN version is 9.99. Is it worth getting? Does the game still hold up?

Manhunt is an astounding, underrated classic. It literally plays like an early last-gen version of TLOU. It's dated a little, it's pretty much the Vice City engine with a few improvements. I'd go for it.

LoU is in a different league to RE4 imo, which admittedly for it's time was a benchmark. But LoU takes survival horror and pushes it to a place no other game has dared go. The narrative, characters, set pieces, gunplay, music, art direction, everything. It makes RE4 looks slightly immature and more typically "game" like.

RE4 is EXTREMELY "game" like. It's the ultimate game ass game in its genre, and that's why I don't feel The Last of Us tops it when you look at the whole picture. Sure TLoU is a step up in narrative, characters, performances, and enemy AI, but RE4 is still incredibly polished, more so than The Last of Us, with a better economy, more intricate weapon upgrading, better NG+, more gameplay enhancing unlocks, and better player controlled pacing throughout the game (it never hampers your movement speed to the level TLoU does). It also has better pacing in the first 2-3 hours. Art direction and set pieces are equally strong, and combat on 1st playthroughs is equally intense.

The Last of Us has been great so far, but it's still shy of RE4 tier IMO. Maybe I just put more stock in certain areas than other people do. That's not taking anything away from TLoU at all, though. Still a high quality game that 99% of devs would struggle to make half as good.

Bladenic

It's cool that you don't need to upgrade Listen Mode for the all upgrades achievement.

Oh you don't? Cool.

Can't decide if I want to do a normal+ play through to get the rest of the trophies or do survival then survival + to finish. Haven't touched multi either yet.

dalin80

Banned
Ouch I just got completely screwed over on a reload, saved last night in a relatively safe cleared area next to a door I have to go through. reloaded today and iam in a completely different room at the other end of the area with several infected already screaming towards me.

Of course I wasn't expecting surprise hugs from my mushroom covered friends so bricks were shat as pistol rounds flailed into the distance.

The_Monk

Played a bit more and it seems I'm at 51% Completion, around 9 hours. I'm taking my sweet time with this game, looking for everything I can.

I'm always worried about bullets and other items to create better weapons and things in order to heal myself. This game is so good I don't want it to end but It seems I'm half way done... no...

I don't even remember this happening to me with another game in a very long time.

Dresden

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made. Impeccable pacing and design. Constant escalation.

Meanwhile TLOUS's faults become ever more glaring when you're replying the game. It's a damn good game, but it just isn't up there with RE4.

Yes. You can even purchase it once all packs are out. It is just a discount for people that want all packs.
How much do you think the single player DLC will be? Cause I want to get other stuff but also save $$ for that.

If 3 packs are 19.99, then one is about 6,67. That's a discounted price, so individually...maybe 9.99?

9.99 for story DLC...does that sound plausible?

zroid

Banned
Finally managed to tear myself away from Animal Crossing, so I just started. I thought the opening scene was really well done. Especially the part where you're controlling Sarah, the little things you were "supposed" to do felt expertly telegraphed; it was very natural.

Vire

RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made. Impeccable pacing and design. Constant escalation.

Meanwhile TLOUS's faults become ever more glaring when you're replying the game. It's a damn good game, but it just isn't up there with RE4.

Honeymoon phase over?

GAF already starting the shit throwing?

It's still worth playing, it was probably the most intense game I've ever played, until this week

traveler

Not Wario

RE4's pacing is better and its level design more consistently good, but I actually like the core gameplay loop, which feels more tense and varied, of the Last of Us better, and find the highs of it (
The better fights in Pittsburgh, the suburbs encounter with the sniper, the battle with David, the tense basement and school dormitory sections
) more enjoyable than the highs of RE4. That's to say nothing of presentation values, story, and the music, which are all substantially better in the Last of Us, but don't really determine the overall quality of a game as much.

Pretty much. Arbitrarily forcing the player to slow down for sake of narrative/characters/world building is so pointless on replays when the player already knows how the story ends. The first third of TLOU on my Survivor run was pretty painful.

RE4 would be like "it's ok bro, we respect your time. Just hit dat skip button and get back to playing."

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Disagree. I liked (but haven't finished) RE4. Haven't finished the Last of Us yet either, but I already think its a way better game. (Unless RE4 gets way better and TLoU quality goes to shit near the end). Pacing is one of the best things about TLoU thus far. To the point where I consciously thought about its pacing, which I don't normally do.

Bladenic

Both RE4 and TLoU are amazing and the top of their gen, not sure if I could choose one over the other. RE4 has some amazing boss battles which TLoU is almost entirely devoid of. But TLoU has some incredible regular encounters that I may put over a lot of RE4's.

elcapitan

I wish there was a more unforgiving checkpoint system. Most of the tension I'm manufacturing for myself. For instance, I'm giving myself limited saves on Survivor.

It's still worth playing, it was probably the most intense game I've ever played, until this week
Another positive response. Sounds good.

Last questions
1.Why is it so intense/why does TLOU remind people of the game? I always knew of it for the executions, didn't know it was actually a good stealth game

2. Are the controls weird? I know that sometimes PS2 games had some weird control schemes compared to what we're used to today.

3. Also is one of these stealth systems where you basically die instantly in any kind of aggressive conflict? Or can you get away, hide again, and flank, a la TLOU?

4. Are the levels open in any way? Or is it like the early Splinter Cells, where there's only one right way to sneak past?

Dresden

Honeymoon phase over?

GAF already starting the shit throwing?

Calm down. I really like this game.

RE4's pacing is better and its level design more consistently good, but I actually like the core gameplay loop, which feels more tense and varied, of the Last of Us better, and find the highs of it (
The better fights in Pittsburgh, the suburbs encounter with the sniper, the battle with David, the tense basement and school dormitory sections
) more enjoyable than the highs of RE4. That's to say nothing of presentation values, story, and the music, which are all substantially better in the Last of Us, but don't really determine the overall quality of a game as much.

I'd like it more if that loop didn't become an exercise in repetition after the first third of the game. There are no further variations on the formula, and none of the weapons introduced after that point add anything new to the play.

Pretty much. Arbitrarily forcing the player to slow down for sake of narrative/characters/world building is so pointless on replays when the player already knows how the story ends. The first third of TLOU on my Survivor run was pretty painful.

RE4 would be like "it's ok bro, we respect your time. Just hit dat skip button and get back to playing."

Yeah, that's how I feel now that I started this Survivor run. It also doesn't help that challenge is almost entirely tied to attrition.

aristotle

I'll be glad when people actually realize RE4 is just a good/great game and not the second coming of the messiah. It shits up every thread.

Back to TLoU talk please!

Before I got the game, I asked around about the MP GAF Clan, but after playing it, a regular clan doesn't really work with this game, since you can only have 4 players on each side. Just get at least one buddy you trust to play it right and you can usually stop the random teams. I don't even know how you would go about setting up a GAF clan since there is no actual clan menu system setup in this game. It's a shame really.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fucking fuck at the difficulty ramp in hard when you
play with Ellie
?

Are you fucking serious? I died like 50 times in row...

Had some trouble with the clickers at the beginning and died a lot too. Took me a while to get into it but it worked out.

Pro

People would bitch if the checkpoint system wasn't as it was.

I actually wish it was a little more forgiving. I wish you had the option to restart a chapter in case you walk two steps past a collectible but your auto save already prevented you from walking two steps back to get it. Yeah you can manually create your own saves but that gets tedious and sometimes you forget. Especially for a 2nd play through where you are trophy hunting for all the items this would be helpful. Guess the trophy hunting will come on Easy mode.

StuBurns

Banned
Why not? He mentions that he got Sarah at a pretty young age. So 18-20, Sarah was about 8-10 at the start, it ads up to late forties early fifties.
There's twenty years between those sections. So if he's late forties, then he's late twenties in that scene, and he clearly isn't.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Why not? He mentions that he got Sarah at a pretty young age. So 18-20, Sarah was about 8-10 at the start, it ads up to late forties early fifties.

Sarah was in her early teens. Meaning he must have been at least in his late teens when he had her. Add another 30+ years and he had to be in his early 50s.

Top Bottom