• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Please tell me The Line is one of the lucky few..

Oh yeah Vire. For me its re4 and Chrono Trigger with either Mario World or DKC. It's an annual thing.

Mega Man X, Yoshi's Island, and Super Metroid for me :p

Checkpoint discussion is interesting. The lady friend is about 40% through, and she's liking the game more and more but still complains that she feels like there's not enough tension.

Majmun

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the frequent checkpoints in modern consoles games?
I mean, I use the quick save/load function in PC games all of the time. I wish all console games would get a quick save/load function.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
LoU is in a different league to RE4 imo, which admittedly for it's time was a benchmark. But LoU takes survival horror and pushes it to a place no other game has dared go. The narrative, characters, set pieces, gunplay, music, art direction, everything. It makes RE4 looks slightly immature and more typically "game" like.

Oh, they're certainly different games, and honestly nib, The Last of Us eclipses many, MANY other games in several game design regards. This isn't even hype talking; I've played the game, I've beaten it, I've mulled over the experience, and it's quite honestly a breathtaking work of art. It just encapsulates so many qualities that gamers have been demanding for such a long time: long campaign, loveable characters, great writing, visceral and unforgiving combat, stellar enemy AI, stealth gameplay that isn't contrived, etc.

I might be confusing "pacing" with the ability to just keep playing the game, which Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 were just excellent at. The Last of Us is expertly paced, but I found myself literally exhausted by it after a few hours, and I think that might be due to its setting. Every enemy encounter, be it human or Infected, is so fucking intense. Never in a game like this have I, like you said earlier (I think), tried to avoid being shot as much as I have in this one. Every enemy encounter SHOULD be like that, which is just a tremendous achievement, in my opinion.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the frequent checkpoints in modern consoles games?
I mean, I use the quick save/load function in PC games all of the time. I wish all console games would get a quick save/load function.

I don't mind them that much either, tbh. I still felt a lot of tension in combat and the various scenarios despite the checkpoints. I think the game would have been a lot more frustrating without them because of the 1-hit kill by the Clickers.

StuBurns

Banned
The only encounter I really died on a few times was near the end, and the checkpoint wasn't too frequent, if anything, it was too harsh.

Andrew.

Banned

I dont mind them at all. Keeps up the pacing and flow and lowers frustration and mediocrity for me personally.

I only died several times in a couple of parts and that was because I was playing stupidly and wasnt strategizing my attack well enough.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't mind them that much either, tbh. I still felt a lot of tension in combat and the various scenarios despite the checkpoints. I think the game would have been a lot more frustrating without them because of the 1-hit kill by the Clickers.

Pretty much. Sometimes, when fighting off a Clicker, the Triangle command wouldn't respond when I had clearly pressed the button as soon as it appeared, and I'd die because of it. Or I'd successfully kill one Clicker, only to have another come up from behind and grab me before I got a chance to regroup, and kill me. If I had to replay large swaths of the game because of things like that, I'd be furious. I think ND made the right call.

It's actually hard for me to play many of these games from the PS2 era that are in HD Collections, because they were a lot less forgiving, and I honestly don't have the time to game like I used to. The fact that I managed to play TLoU for as long as I have (14 hours), is a miracle for me, considering how busy I am with non-gaming stuff. Most of my free time is on my bus rides to work, and I play my Vita during that time.

Danielsan

Started my survival run through yesterday. Those first 10 minutes are still one the most powerful opening moments for a video game in recent memory.

Can't wait till I reach Winter again, which is just a stunning chapter from start till finish.

Seems like its a mix of long and short spaced checkpoint depending upon the encounter, so your mileage will vary.

But this is the only AAA title I've played in a long, long time where I've had my ass handed to me again and again and again with certain encounters. There are a few spots where I easily died 10+ times and had to redo the entire thing. I'm not complaining, as those situations forced me to explore the mechanics and get more creative. I guess the mix of mechanics just clicked quicker for other players.

iNvid02

I went the combat route lol. Flamethrower. Bam.

give me a high five bro
KuGsj.gif

There are a lot of small typos. They use regular dashes when they should em-dash (but occasionally there's an em-dash), and they don't have the proper spacing for ellipses.

What I'm saying is, they should hire me so I can edit their script and shit.

I was thinking about this the other day and thought it would have been neat if there were more mistakes with spelling and grammar in the hand-written notes. With all the attention to minor detail in this game, every your/you're used properly seems a missed opportunity for a touch more realism. Unless, of course, these people's slum educations are somehow embarrassing our own. I dunno what an em-dash is, and I doubt many layman do.

DSGamer

Neo Member
I feel like I'm missing something. Basically I'm feeling more and more like this is an interactive movie and that I don't have much agency at all. I'm doing some light stealth and otherwise I don't really *love* the gameplay. There are tons of games I own and would love to play and I'm just not feeling like I want to *play* this as much as just watch a movie about this. What am I missing?

grim0451

Neo Member
I've been enjoying the game so far but not without having a major issue with the lighting, either caused by what might be my ps3 dying or just a really unlucky glitch. Basically during daytime portions of the game the lighting (or maybe it's just a graphical glitch?) will fragment and clip through walls basically making it unplayable. It's only happens during portions of the game where there's sunlight, the flashlight doesn't cause it. Light during nighttime portions of the game doesn't cause it. I really don't know what it is and it sucks because even indoors the lighting will be totally borked. I'm not sure I did a good job explaining my problem, but I really want to play the game but at the moment it's impossible to enjoy it without getting annoyed. Anyways anyone else have this problem? I'll take a picture if need be.

I feel like I'm missing something. Basically I'm feeling more and more like this is an interactive movie and that I don't have much agency at all. I'm doing some light stealth and otherwise I don't really *love* the gameplay. There are tons of games I own and would love to play and I'm just not feeling like I want to *play* this as much as just watch a movie about this. What am I missing?
"Interactive movie"? "Not much agency"?

I mean, it's not Heavy Rain. There's only about 90 minutes of cutscene in a 14-20 hour game. A lot of narrative happens in game.

Can you explain your point? I'm curious

Manu

The combat usually clicks after you've been in a tense situation where you had to improvise a lot. It gets better when you realize you could find the same enemies again and it would never play or feel the same.

nib95

Banned
Oh, they're certainly different games, and honestly nib, The Last of Us eclipses many, MANY other games in several game design regards. This isn't even hype talking; I've played the game, I've beaten it, I've mulled over the experience, and it's quite honestly a breathtaking work of art. It just encapsulates so many qualities that gamers have been demanding for such a long time: long campaign, loveable characters, great writing, visceral and unforgiving combat, stellar enemy AI, stealth gameplay that isn't contrived, etc.

I might be confusing "pacing" with the ability to just keep playing the game, which Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 were just excellent at. The Last of Us is expertly paced, but I found myself literally exhausted by it after a few hours, and I think that might be due to its setting. Every enemy encounter, be it human or Infected, is so fucking intense. Never in a game like this have I, like you said earlier (I think), tried to avoid being shot as much as I have in this one. Every enemy encounter SHOULD be like that, which is just a tremendous achievement, in my opinion.

Completely agree dude. Especially regarding the last part of your post. That sense of dread from the combat scenario's, and the feats to avoid getting shot or attacked, definitely adds a lot. Shows how well they've pulled off the ferocity of combat.

MAX PAYMENT

Every time I play multiplayer I run into bizarre glitches and lag spikes.
When it works, it's fun.
When it doesn't it makes me angry.

Any one else having problems?

Edit: I'd also be down for teaming up with some gaf members.

User name : MAX-PAYMENT

Anyone wanna play some MP add me, my ID is Militant

Been having some awesome games as of late and I'm loving the slower pace compared to my usual COD run and gun style.

meta4

Completely agree dude. Especially regarding the last part of your post. That sense of dread from the combat scenario's, and the feats to avoid getting shot or attacked, definitely adds a lot. Shows how well they've pulled off the ferocity of combat.

The tension in combat is just amazing. How often have we had games where one is forced to think twice about coming out of cover once engaged in a shootout. I have a question regarding the AI in general though. Sometimes its out of this world while at other times especially with the companion AI it is average. I will not hold it against this game per se considering how ambitious it is in its AI implementation and there are not a lot of games out there that do Companion AI well anyway. Was ND limited by technology with regard to the AI or is it that the tech is there but there are not that many talented coders that can implement consistent AI? I am just wondering if the AI hiccups we see here are just a consequence of technology limitation.

creyas

For something like this frequent checkpoints are nice because replaying non-encounters would really take you out of it.

On PC if a game has quicksave i find myself pushing it after every single corner i turn which isn't too immersive. Much prefer frequent and well placed checkpoints

So I came back from a brief hiatus of the game as many of the regulars in this OT (if they are still here and haven't moved on to the spoiler thread) know I thought the game was pretty awful. I am 41% through the game now and I still think it is mediocre. I do like now I have a shotgun my shitty controller aiming isn't too much of a problem any more. I am still not engrossed by the story or the characters, other than the occasional wise crack from Ellie leaving me with a little chuckle.

I think on reflection my brother agrees with me, the game is still a little buggy as I found out when
trying to get the car started Ellie got killed but the game just kept playing with the camera focussed on the truck. That happened a couple of times

Overall something like a 6.5 or 7/10 seems fair.

The game is a lot better if you play the Persona 4 soundtrack alongside it I found as I played through the parts I already had played after the save game glitch screwed me over.

krae_man

So I came back from a brief hiatus of the game as many of the regulars in this OT (if they are still here and haven't moved on to the spoiler thread) know I thought the game was pretty awful. I am 41% through the game now and I still think it is mediocre. I do like now I have a shotgun my shitty controller aiming isn't too much of a problem any more. I am still not engrossed by the story or the characters, other than the occasional wise crack from Ellie leaving me with a little chuckle.

I think on reflection my brother agrees with me, the game is still a little buggy as I found out when
trying to get the car started Ellie got killed but the game just kept playing with the camera focussed on the truck. That happened a couple of times

You're playing mostly with guns? That's not how I'm playing.

Anyway regarding that segment, I kind of broke it.
I noticed there were supplies near the building so after each encounter I would just run around and grab everything and take my time. The music had that "oh crap gotta hurry" pace to it but I just did my thing. A random infected would spawn out of thin air if you got too far away from the truck and start attacking Ellie forcing you to go back to the truck, but that was about it.

I noticed there were supplies near the building so after each encounter I would just run around and grab everything and take my time. The music had that "oh crap gotta hurry" pace to it but I just did my thing. A random infected would spawn out of thin air if you got too far away from the truck and start attacking Ellie forcing you to go back to the truck, but that was about it.

I gave up with the stealth as I found it boring and inconsistent.

Andrew.

Banned

There isnt any worthwhile items in that particular section anyway so there shouldnt be any reason to leave her
alone in the truck.

It took a nice pile of deaths for me to realize this

krae_man

There isnt any worthwhile items in that particular section anyway so there shouldnt be any reason to leave her
alone in the truck.

It took a nice pile of deaths for me to realize this

There's some stuff, and I have the need to grab everything I find. I get pissed off when I can't pick something up because I'm maxed out. So far it's usually scissors.

Arrow headshot, bash them with a brick when you get close enough and get the "grab" prompt, or just avoid altogether. Up close and personal with the shotgun is also awesome.

Molotovs also kill them quick but its in your best interest not to waste one of them on a single enemy.

bash them with a brick when you get close enough and get the "grab" prompt
If you don't have a shiv, what happens when you do a grab?

Dragon

Banned
bash them with a brick when you get close enough and get the "grab" prompt
If you don't have a shiv, what happens when you do a grab?

They bat your arms away and bite through your neck.

This also happened to me last night when I tried to grab them from the front (I didn't know you can't kill them this way).

Overall something like a 6.5 or 7/10 seems fair.

The game is a lot better if you play the Persona 4 soundtrack alongside it I found as I played through the parts I already had played after the save game glitch screwed me over.
Have you gotten to Pittsburgh yet?

Loomba

How come when I turn off hints and tips in the options, they still appear? anyone had the same thing happen?

And when I'm behind a wall or something, how can I tackle a guy approaching, like Joel did in the E3 demo when the guy had a shotgun... never been able to do it.

How come when I turn off hints and tips in the options, they still appear? anyone had the same thing happen?

And when I'm behind a wall or something, how can I tackle a guy approaching, like Joel did in the E3 demo when the guy had a shotgun... never been able to do it.
Yes, same happened with me

So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Cause I started a Survivor playthrough, set everything to off, and still get tutorial hints, L3 prompts etc

Melee prompts are off though, which is good. And I'm definitely on Survivor difficulty, I've checked
---
And I think they removed that disarming move as well as the lean. But I've seen every other move from the demo

So if the Season Pass is 19.99 for three packs, then that comes out to 6.67 per pack. And passes usually provide a discount, so I'm guessing the individual packs will be 9.99 maybe?

Cause I only care about the single player DLC, don't want the whole pass, so I'm trying to figure out how much $$ to save on my account

Hung Wei Lo

I'm kind of scared to see what my play time is right now, or where it'll end up (or how many deaths I've incurred)

Anyhow, I got a code for $50 PS3 Stereo Headset - from Futureshop.ca if anyone wants it - Please quote this post with a TLOU haiku (I'm only on page 109, so hopefully I'll catch up soon to find a winnar)

Top Bottom