• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Why not? Is it better to slow walk around for 30 minutes before getting to play?
Yeah, if it sets up the narrative, introduces the characters and their motivates, and allows us to appreciate the world and atmosphere.

And that's an exaggeration. It wasn't 30 minutes of walking. You also had to fight some infected, do some stealth, have a some firefights.

I prefer and appreciate slow-burn narratives, they allow the tension to build and just for the audience to breathe and take everything in. TLOU is the first game I've played to do it properly

Zemm

The excessively forgiving checkpointing kills a lot of the "survival horror" in The Last of Us, in my opinion. I still get the vibe and enjoy it, but it's unnecessary.

My housemate watched me play a lot today, and we had a pretty long discussion about the merits of checkpointing and how interactive projects best develop sensations of tension, horror, and survivalism with the player. Was interesting to see his perspective, compared to me. He's definitely very much in the save-everywhere frequent-checkpointing camp, and finds having to retread a lot of ground due to a failure/death to be very annoying and detrimental to his gaming experience. Whereas I'm more the opposite. I like survivalism to be a potent element in the way levels, encounters, pacing, and progression is designed. The typewriter save system in Resident Evil is a classic yet beautifully poignant example of this approach in action.

So yeah, as much as I'm enjoying The Last of Us, the actual horror/tension element is lost on me a bit due how frequent and forgiving the checkpointing is. Similarly for the scavenging and item management. It's not too difficult to cheese some of the encounters and items are plentiful enough that I haven't really had to worry about managing my resources. There's no real long term planning, I guess is what I'm saying, due to how tightly structured and linear the set pieces and encounters are paced.

So far, anywho. Still not halfway, I don't think. Tomorrow after I mow the lawn I'll sink back into it.

Do what I do, hit "restart encounter" if you die. It's not an ideal solution because the quick save is still there, taunting you, but it's a better solution than it.

I can't find the answer to this anywhere

So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

aristotle

So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Quoting it on every page won't help either. None of us made the game. Outside of PM'ing arne, you probably won't ever get an answer unless it's patched.

I just looked at my save file and I'm 30% through the game. I'm at the part where you're hanging upside down - it feels like it should be 10% maximum! Can't believe I'm a third through the game, and I thought I was taking it slowly! Wow, should've bought this in a couple of months when it'll be half price lol.

So pretty visually though I want to stop everywhere and look around but it's so tense, I'm scared a clicker will pop out round a corner! It's very sparse in terms of what you can actually do though, it's super linear with virtually no exploration. A third in to the game those scores and reviews seem wildly over the top to me. It's a very nice RE4 style third person survival horror, but "Citizen Kane" it ain't.

umm...you probably have 10 hours left. Don't look at the percentages. This game is long.

Anyone know if Gamestop is doing that "trade-in within 30 days and get 30 dollars back" with this? The game is great, but I don't see myself replaying it.

Andrew.

Banned

Jesus christ man I think if someone knew they would've answered you by now. You've been asking this repeatedly all fucking day on every single page. CHILL OUT.

Yeah but gameplay wise, they're totally different games. You can't compare them. There is some horror elements, but that's about it

RE4 is all action, tense action sure due to being outnumbered, but then again you're doing roundhouse kicks, fighting giant Gigantos and a super mutated kid/thing with a rocket launcher, spanish super zombies, fighting lake monsters with harpoons, solving annoying puzzles...

TLOU is all about stealth and struggling to survive not just because you're outnumbered, but because humans are fucking bastards and infected are mindless killing machines. Enemy types aren't the focus, they are a means to an end. That end being the narrative

So besides the pacing (I don't want games to be nonstop action from the get go like RE4), TLOU just intergrates tense gameplay and a masterful narrative perfectly. That's why RE4 feels antiqued and TLOU is overall the better game IMO
They are totally different games, but we are talking about pacing mostly, and whether the gameplay is fun.
I'm most certain that most people who beat tlou will pick winter as their favorite chapter, why? Because it plays differently, because variety is introduced. More gameplay scenarios, more enemy types, more enemy behavior types make a game fun to play. in tlou, you go into different buildings, pretty much repeating what you've just done a moment ago. I never once felt bothered or bored by the gameplay scenarios in re4, because they are designed so that you never get tired of a particular segment, remember that town in the beginning of re4? Tlou felt like playing 10 of those same towns in a row. Not that it wasn't intense, it just gets a little boring.
And the other thing is sometimes gameplay gets in the way of story progression. Like at the very end, I was in no mood to stealth and the game did not give me enough ammo to do an all out shootout, so I pretty much ran my way through the map.

I loved the opening of the game, I really don't get people complaining about it. If anything I wish it took more time before the action started. I found the first shoot out to be so lame and matter a fact, which I guess fits into the theme of how violent the world has become. Was just expecting some big moment, instead they're walking and then chest high walls appear and random thugs need to die. Was the only disappointment I've felt so far with this game.

DatDude

Banned
I just looked at my save file and I'm 30% through the game. I'm at the part where you're hanging upside down - it feels like it should be 10% maximum! Can't believe I'm a third through the game, and I thought I was taking it slowly! Wow, should've bought this in a couple of months when it'll be half price lol.

So pretty visually though I want to stop everywhere and look around but it's so tense, I'm scared a clicker will pop out round a corner! It's very sparse in terms of what you can actually do though, it's super linear with virtually no exploration. A third in to the game those scores and reviews seem wildly over the top to me. It's a very nice RE4 style third person survival horror, but "Citizen Kane" it ain't.

You really should play more of this game before giving impressions. IT's been said countless times this game doesn't start getting god tier to till the Fall chapter.

solarus

Ok this game is perfect for me, im loving the pacing so much, a few hours in right now, I can see that it wouldn't suit certain gamers though.

Isn't the machete a one hit kill anyway?
Yeah, but every other weapon the mod makes sense to why you'd have extra deadly hits, by adding scissor spikes. But the machete, he just tapes the scissors to the handle and he can suddenly do two extra strikes

Not even a minor deal, but I thought it was kind of funny

Gorillaz

It amazes me how terrible the matchmaking is for this....seriously especially with the whole meta game of getting supplies...your basically fucked over if you have a terrible team. Its like Uncharted 3 all over again smh

So I just finished Winter (16 hours and 28 minutes, 81%), and right at the end of the cutscene if seemed like Ellie and Joel was talking but I had no sound or subtitles. Was it supposed to be like that or did my game bug out?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So I just finished Winter (16 hours and 28 minutes, 81%), and right at the end of the cutscene if seemed like Ellie and Joel was talking but I had no sound or subtitles. Was it supposed to be like that or did my game bug out?

Supposed to be like that.

It amazes me how terrible the matchmaking is for this....seriously especially with the whole meta game of getting supplies...your basically fucked over if you have a terrible team. Its like Uncharted 3 all over again smh

Agreed. They should try to match up the same weeks.

StuBurns

Banned
Yes. I love the axe btw.
I never used it, I know there's one at
Tommy's place
, but I never grabbed it.

EDIT: The voice dropping out thing is kind of lame, it's not clearly intended so the initial reaction is just panic that you're missing something. It's not like that moment in Lost in Translation, which I guess was the intent.

sunnz

The MP is starting to annoy me in the way that has stopped me from playing U2 and 3.

From the terrible latency issues ( like how sometimes 3 shots kills but other times 5 shots AND 1 punch doesn't kill), getting shot/killed even when clearly behind cover ( not hiding behind cover, I know your head is still visible sometimes, but I mean when you run behind cover) to the most annoying part, the OP armour, I can't see my self playing much. It is way too frustrating.

Armour needs to block 1 bullet only, not 3, way too powerful without any disadvantages and easy to get too.

I seem to get very bad loot too with the small containers :p

When these issues are not present, it is very enjoyable and intense though.

Flo_Evans

Has a mp thread shown up yet? This part of the game is dying for some love

Seems like everyone is asking, but no one wants to make it.

I need to do a few thing (put kids to bed) but should be ready to play in an hour or 2. I feel like it deserves a really nice OP explaining all the mechanics but I don't quite understand them all myself. Lol. Maybe tomorrow at work if I am not busy I can start to put together a thread.

I still can't believe ND included these obnoxious MP trophies this time around.

The fuck is wrong with them? They used to get it with UC2&3 when it came to MP trophies.

Lima

You really should play more of this game before giving impressions. IT's been said countless times this game doesn't start getting god tier to till the Fall chapter.

Starting FALL RIGHT NOW. Don't let me down GAF.

Edit: Joel's outfit is boss.

Okay I'm at the part with the
sniper shooting at me from the house down the street
(maybe 60-65% through spoiler). Is there any way to actually stealth this section? Everywhere I seem to go
random enemies just materialize

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm through now after 24 hours and have to chime in. That is the fucking best second half of a videogame since I don't know when.
The shifts in character development are just like whaaat
I don't even know what to write between those spoiler tags. Just at a loss for words. Bravo ND.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I must be on track for the slowest completion of this game. Currently playing on Hard, all tips and listen mode deactivated & 72% after 19 1/2hrs with 94 collectibles. It's not that I am crap, I'm stealthing everywhere and searching everywhere. That and I don't want it to end so I play around 2-3 hrs per night (8hrs on release day though).

Really enjoying the game, at
Salt Lake City
right now. Pretty cool, been to this city many times, looks authentic, at least from my memory.

Question: The sights and sounds pack off Amazon enables a soundtrack download, but it seems I can only download it off the PS3. Can those files be transferred to my PC? Seems like a waste if I can't.

Calcium

Banned
Just finished my normal playthrough. Wow, that was quite a ride. I'm looking forward to tackling Survivor next. I can already think of a few sections in the game that'll drive me crazy on the higher difficulty.

Let's get some infected
giraffes
for the sequel, ND.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Question: The sights and sounds pack off Amazon enables a soundtrack download, but it seems I can only download it off the PS3. Can those files be transferred to my PC? Seems like a waste if I can't.
Yeah, they're regular ol' mp3s in the XMB music section after you install the package you download.

jediyoshi

Armour needs to block 1 bullet only, not 3, way too powerful without any disadvantages and easy to get too.

Whoa. It's a huge disadvantage, you're spending parts on armor and not ammo now. The armor doesn't block lower body at all, so if you're getting rushed, aim for the legs.

The loot early on is basically preset. The second closest loot drop from starting will have a melee weapon.

TripleSun

Just finished my normal playthrough. Wow, that was quite a ride. I'm looking forward to tackling Survivor next. I can already think of a few sections in the game that'll drive me crazy on the higher difficulty.

Let's get some infected
giraffes
for the sequel, ND.

Now that part surprised the hell outta me, was awesome hahah.

Just got to the 70% mark. Hoh man.
The part with Sam and Henry dying was pretty jarring, but the part that actually moved me emotionally was after finding ellie when she runs away. That exchange between her and joel was making me misty-eyed, and I never cry, especially over fricking video games. I guess that theme of loneliness and abandonment is something that just stuck out to me, even though I've had a healthy home life with a whole family. Maybe the thought of all of that being gone, especially at Ellie's age, got to me. And the acting really sells it.

(maybe 60-65% through spoiler). Is there any way to actually stealth this section? Everywhere I seem to go

Go through that first house on the right, through the window. Sometimes a guy will be in there, but it's hard to say where he'll be when you jump in. Sometimes you'll be able to stealth him, sometimes you'll just have to beat him up. Then head upstairs. DON'T GO INTO THE KITCHEN. I don't think there was anything there but a dude who calls a bunch of other dudes to kill you. After you get all the stuff from upstairs, take out any of the guys who come up the stairs. Then head out onto the front porch and make your way over to the house next door. I think there's stuff in there too. Then use the porch again and head straight into a side yard, avoiding the sight of any of those dudes who are walking around the main area. There's like a doghouse in this new area (just so you know where you are). Head through the backyard and go into any houses you want to get stuff. That first house with the deck has a few things in it. It also has a nasty bug where anytime an enemy tries to walk through the doorway, he falls through the porch halfway. It did for me anyways. Then go into one of the next houses over and carefully make your way upstairs after exploring downstairs. I think this is all accurate

Ugh, this just looks like a mess of black bars.

This is one of those rare games for me, where I don't have fun playing it but I can't put it down. Naughty Dog sure knows how to craft stress, but in a good way.

LegendX48

I figure I should ask this here *hopes for response*

Is there any reason(s) why the final cutscene for Winter is missing from the cinematics section in bonuses? My little brother and I initially thought it wasn't there cause it was ingame but upon a 2nd playthrough I noticed that it was a prerendered (in engine or w/e) cutscene. So, any reason why its simply not there? inb4 bugged file(s)

I kept dying there until I tried running straight down the middle staying behind cover and had no trouble at all.

Spinluck

I don't think matchmaking is that much of a biggy.

I find the online hard to play without competent teammates. No matter how good you are, it is incredibly hard to carry a team. Especially one that scatters around the map instead of sticking together or at least partnering up. For this reason I will only play when I have a friend, or my group of friends on. Although, today I played alone to kill some time. My team got its ass handed to it at Checkpoint. Next match (with the same people and teams) I switched into my medic oriented custom loadout and practically carried the team in a comeback from 3-1 on The Dam which ended in a draw (wish it didn't end till a winner has been decided). It was satisfying to literally own 3 out of 4 guys for two rounds straight, but disappointing cause I know if my team was better we would've won.

Remember that part in the extended E3 demo, where the enemy grabs Joel from behind and another enemy is like Hold him. Then Joel counters the hold and uses the enemy as a human shield

Is that possible in the game? I've had enemies grab me from behind and I've had enemies shoot my human shield (although only after I shot at them first).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up a copy on the way to work this morning.

Love this feeling! Like being back at school and waiting for the bell to ring...

The anticipation is palpable... I'm practically palping my pants.

Top Bottom