• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Rushing people about to throw molotovs. Crafting stuff mid battle. Steadily wearing down people camping by having them slowly run out of ammo. Being forced to scavenge around the map for materials. Typically having only enough ammo for a single encounter at a time. Bobbing and weaving around objects to escape an encounter. It's silly how methodical they've managed to turn a third person game with UC MP just feeling like a quake game.

wall hacks.

antitrop

The 70% -
UEC Campus
is EASILY my most favorite environment of the game to this point.

There's no way I'm finishing this game tonight. It will be tomorrow.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
When I've finished Hard for the first time I want to hit Survivor. Do all the collectibles from Hard carry over or do I have to find them all again? My OCD will go off the rails if it is the later!

God damn the mp in this game is frustrating. I suppose that it is still early days but nd doesn't have a good track record of positive mp changes. It is probably a good idea for me to just move on and think of this as a sp game. It is unfortunate because mp has a lot of great ideas, just some really bad balance, bugs and lag.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The 70% -
UEC Campus
is EASILY my most favorite environment of the game to this point.

There's no way I'm finishing this game tonight. It will be tomorrow.
My session today was actually from where you're now until the end.
I was sucked.

Ghazi

I just finished the game, my fucking god.

Joel fucked the entire the world so he could relive having a daughter, wooooow

God damn the mp in this game is frustrating. I suppose that it is still early days but nd doesn't have a good track record of positive mp changes. It is probably a good idea for me to just move on and think of this as a sp game. It is unfortunate because mp has a lot of great ideas, just some really bad balance, bugs and lag.

I think balance is amazing. I've only encountered one bug so far. Zero lag for me.

Footos22

Ok, that's it. I'm done. Until they release a patch. At the
science centre
and it's impossible for me to progress because of the environment disapearing. This also fucks up the autosave. And crashes the game and my ps3 if I try to restart encounter or just reload my save. The only way around it is chapter select. Hope they hurry up as this was my game of the generation until this buggy mess. I have tried 6 times now and no luck.pal disc Version. How this passed testing I dunno.
Naughty dog have finally managed to let me down.

Me and my brother just started tonight and omg it's amazing so far. I love the gameplay mechanics and that intro 0_o

However, what is up with the visuals? I might have some rose tinted goggles on but the graphics are pretty bad and don't even look uncharted 1 good. Really low textures and low poly counts everywhere.

Odd from ND

antitrop

Me and my brother just started tonight and omg it's amazing so far. I love the gameplay mechanics and that intro 0_o

However, what is up with the visuals? I might have some rose tinted goggles on but the graphics are pretty bad and don't even look uncharted 1 good. Really low textures and low poly counts everywhere.

Odd from ND

The very beginning of the game is horrendous looking. From there you get used to it and also the level of environmental detail goes up considerably as you progress.

The technical issues of the visuals stopped being a serious problem for me after about an hour and a half. This is one of the best looking games ever made, and it would top Bioshock Infinite visually for me if it was on PC. Easily.

Ghazi

The very beginning of the game is horrendous looking. From there you get used to it and also the level of environmental detail goes up considerably as you progress.

The technical issues of the visuals stopped being a serious problem for me after about an hour and a half. This is one of the best looking games ever made, and it would top Bioshock Infinite visually for me if it was on PC. Easily.
Agree, it just got better as I went along and I did think it was terrible at the beginning.
Come join us in the spoiler thread. Discussing it helps.

There!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I must be a simpleton concerning graphics, I thought
Joel's house and the driving section
looked really good. There are far far far more visually pleasing things in the game of course.

Edit: or are you guys talking about the section after the opening? That was a bit sub-par yeah.

LuuKyK

Odd from ND

Yeah, its weird at the start. But there are some sections later in the game that really look amazing. Someof them are even jaw dropping I would say, and surpass anything Uncharted imo. I wont say here because of spoilers, of course. But you will get there. :)

Basically, the city environments are better looking in Uncharted, but the more, natury ones look better in TLoU. Thats all I am saying. :p

Finished the game this monday, but I just can't stop thinking about it.
I want to return to that world. Relive the experience.

Too bad I'm too fucking busy at work. :-(

MP is really fun as well! Finally a Gears of War type of game (slow-paced, intense, up close combat) on PS3... but better.

MAX PAYMENT

Finished the game this monday, but I just can't stop thinking about it.
I want to return to that world. Relive the experience.

Too bad I'm too fucking busy at work. :-(

MP is really fun as well! Finally a Gears of War type of game (slow-paced, intense, up close combat) on PS3... but better.
It's not better. Different, and it could use a ton of work. But it has major potential.

Oh man very cool. You are quite picky with visuals antitrop so that's great to hear

antitrop

Speaking of which, I'm half sure the fish AI in TLoU is causing all those fatties to brick.
Ya, the PS3 fan really begins to whirl at an incredible rate when the system is trying to calculate all that next-generation AI. I try to avoid underwater sections so my system doesn't die.

So much truth right here.

I also remember feeling so much disappointment in the very first area with the chest high cover strewn about. But afterwards all the battle spaces were far more organic.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just beat the game.

Jesus Christ, you guys. Damn.

"goty damn" you mean.

Just finished it too. goty damn, goty. Gotta migrate over to the spoiler thread now, but what the fuck. Suck an amazing last chapter/end.

Dibbz

If you ignore your whole survivor count and the objectives sure.

The meta game is cool but you can't deny the core gameplay is TDM. It's not terrible and I've been playing it for ages already but it's not going to stick with me unless the DLC is co-op or something.

Eleuin

Is there going to be a mp thread? Well for know I guess I'll post about my experiences here for now.

Tried supply raid just to get the trophy and had an awful time. Thanks to the extra lives my teammates would run out in reckless abandon just to get killed and I didnt even get enough supplies for the day :(

Thanks to maomao I've been purchasing armor a lot more and its making things easier. I think the price for it should be increased though.

Rushing people about to throw molotovs. Crafting stuff mid battle. Steadily wearing down people camping by having them slowly run out of ammo. Being forced to scavenge around the map for materials. Typically having only enough ammo for a single encounter at a time. Bobbing and weaving around objects to escape an encounter. It's silly how methodical they've managed to turn a third person game with UC MP just feeling like a quake game.

No, I typically have only enough ammo for a single encounter. I feel like my enemy always has a M4 with infinite ammo.

Also, to just the MP players in general. If you are playing a game and it's 4 on 2 and you obviously destroy the other two people, you don't have to "teabag" the corpse. Because those people are staying in the game, probably out of consideration. You can have an ounce of respect?

AND if you are complaining about your team not sticking together, don't RUN off by yourself and not stick with your team. So many obnoxious qualities really shine in this MP...

Ya, the PS3 fan really begins to whirl at an incredible rate when the system is trying to calculate all that next-generation AI. I try to avoid underwater sections so my system doesn't die.

Haha, I actually bought a PS3 slim just for this game. Because I was worried about my launch 20gb exploding... which I'm currently selling if anyone is interested! :p

ironcreed

Banned
Credits rolling.
God damn, Joel. I understand why he did it, yet it was still so selfish. What a position to be in. I can't help but feel for him... then there is humanity itself.

Bar none, one of the best games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. As is rarely the case, the hype is more than deserved and this is an instant classic in my book.
Bravo indeed, Naughty Dog.

g007_citizen_kane_slow_clap.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Random aside, took me 24 hours. Guess it was a bit longer than for most. With some exceptions, I enjoyed almost all of it. Such a fucking great game.

Finished it at 17 and a half hours

683 kills, 81 deaths.

Never in a million years did i think Super Mario Gaaxy 1 would be beat for this generation, as that has been comfortably on top since I first played it in 07. Much less a game that was barely on my radar until 2 weeks ago (havent been gaming much lately). But I think TLOU may be at the top for this generation and close to top for all time if it weren't for Shadow of the Colossus.

A lot of it has to do with the lovable characters and warm dialogue, but frankly it was the beauty of the world and the stealth gameplay that had such an impact. And I don't think it does stealth the best, but its easily the best stealth/action hybrid I've ever played with survival and tool conservation providing the motivations. I loved all of my enemy encounters and despite it perhaps needing a little more variation, I still had such a great time. Maybe the stealth gameplay will breakdown after multiple plays, but I highly doubt the game will become so easy that stealth isn't fun anymore.

- That is not to say its perfect by any means. AI, both friendly and enemy had some weird quirks, although I thought the latter was pretty great overall, but they still did some dumb crap.

- I thought game could have had a little more gameplay change as well and evolved more slowly as game went on. One important story move helped change things up but I felt that change could have happened a little sooner.

- Despite the presentation and characters being top-notch and the story being really engaging, I still can't give it entirely a free pass for ripping off a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction. I mean its like 80% Children of Men. I know its being a little tough on a video game but I think games can be original (see Shadow of the Colossus).

These complaints don't really matter in the end to me though, because so many times during the game I had my jaw dropped in absolute adoration of what Naughty Dog was doing. Cinematic but subtle, and addicting gameplay for a stealth junkie like me. Problems aside, TLOU is on my short list of greatest games ever made.

Top Bottom