• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I will post impressions on the SP after I have a bit of time to think about it.

But I can say, that MP is lame as fuck. Incredibly awful. Hard to believe the people who crafted the amazing SP are responsible for this pile of shit MP. It's offensively bad.

The_Monk

Decided to play a bit more and now I'm at 61%

...I have no idea how I'm going to deal with my Backlog or what to play next after this because this game is just unique. I found the right type of emotion I love to get in videogames and I still have almost half of the game to complete.

As always, no rush. Enjoying a lot of it. Funny thing is, when I think I'm good regarding health and bullets something bad happens and there I'm low on everything!

ThisOne

But I can say, that MP is lame as fuck. Incredibly awful. Hard to believe the people who crafted the amazing SP are responsible for this pile of shit MP. It's offensively bad.

Seriously? I've been having a good time with it. It's similar to Uncharted's multiplayer but slowed down a little bit and more tactical with crafting and stuff.

antitrop

First actual tears of the game at 70% -
the house where Joel finds Ellie after she runs away and she confronts him about giving her over to Tommy.

:(

BossLackey

Gold Member

You're the first person I've hard speak ill of the multiplayer. I'm sure it's not great, but it can't be that bad.

Evolved1

Seriously? I've been having a good time with it. It's similar to Uncharted's multiplayer but slowed down a little bit and more tactical with crafting and stuff.

I hate every thing about it so far... every thing about it.

Good thing the SP was practically perfection... cause MP is 0.5/10

Evolved1

I can't believe how good the SP was. I had super high expectations going in too... and it still delivered.

I beat the game in 15:30 on Hard with Listen Mode turned off and that was with me taking my time exploring and looking for supplies and artifacts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Winter.

Can't stop here for the night like I had to when I hit Fall. Too many questions, too much to see through. But essentially, what was actually my primary criticism of the game just melted away.

I don't know quite how much is left or what I'm in for if I try to finish tonight, but this has certainly placed itself firmly amongst my favorite games of all time.

I just looked at my save file and I'm 30% through the game. I'm at the part where you're hanging upside down - it feels like it should be 10% maximum! Can't believe I'm a third through the game, and I thought I was taking it slowly! Wow, should've bought this in a couple of months when it'll be half price lol.

So pretty visually though I want to stop everywhere and look around but it's so tense, I'm scared a clicker will pop out round a corner! It's very sparse in terms of what you can actually do though, it's super linear with virtually no exploration. A third in to the game those scores and reviews seem wildly over the top to me. It's a very nice RE4 style third person survival horror, but "Citizen Kane" it ain't.
I hope that you're able to look back at this post later on and laugh.

Dibbz

I am disappointed the MP is essentially TDM with a slight twist with TLoU mechanics. No objectives or co-op or anything. Hopefully they are able to bring some new modes or something because I can't see myself really sticking with the MP like it is now.

It's kinda fun for what it is but I need more purpose in MP, not just getting kills.

TripleSun

I think it's funny because when I was playing during Winter, my room was pitch dark and my room gets really cold since being in the basement, so it blended well I think when
Joel was trying to find Ellie and when Ellie was doing her thing.

Flo_Evans

I am disappointed the MP is essentially TDM with a slight twist with TLoU mechanics. No objectives or co-op or anything. Hopefully they are able to bring some new modes or something because I can't see myself really sticking with the MP like it is now.

It's kinda fun for what it is but I need more purpose in MP, not just getting kills.

If you ignore your whole survivor count and the objectives sure.

Evolved1

I know it's your opinion and all, but god damn if that opinion doesn't suck right now. That's just crazy hyperbole.

It's not hyperbole. Don't worry. I'm going to explain its failure in painstaking detail very soon.

But the TL:DR version...

The MP doesn't feel like TLoU. It just doesn't. Which imo is unforgivable.

If you ignore your whole survivor count and the objectives sure.

Yeah... yup... I think it took you longer to type that sentence than they spent developing the "meta game".

antitrop

6Ik3NRf.gif

I wish they didnt stick tons of items/collectibles in the scenes where you are walking/having a conversation with an npc. It's a minor gripe but my OCD for finding everything is really slowing me down in the story bits.

jediyoshi

I hate every thing about it so far... every thing about it.

Good thing the SP was practically perfection... cause MP is 0.5/10

Counter point, it's pretty rad. It actually makes UC3's mp feel embarrassingly straight forward in mechanics, especially since it was their second go at it that time around.

Gorillaz

That part is sublime stuff. Best stretch of the game. And probably of the last year or so in gaming.

Agreed. It was he portion of the game where ND just completely knocked it out of the park

I don't think matchmaking is that much of a biggy.

I find the online hard to play without competent teammates. No matter how good you are, it is incredibly hard to carry a team. Especially one that scatters around the map instead of sticking together or at least partnering up. For this reason I will only play when I have a friend, or my group of friends on. Although, today I played alone to kill some time. My team got its ass handed to it at Checkpoint. Next match (with the same people and teams) I switched into my medic oriented custom loadout and practically carried the team in a comeback from 3-1 on The Dam which ended in a draw (wish it didn't end till a winner has been decided). It was satisfying to literally own 3 out of 4 guys for two rounds straight, but disappointing cause I know if my team was better we would've won.

Thats how I feel for the most part. I play with randoms sometimes and the way some of them play at times drives me crazy. Especially since my buds aren't on alot

I am not stopping this game until I see the ending credits or my Phat PS3 bricks.

This is one of the best games I've played in my entire life, since I started with Super Mario Bros. 27 years ago.

I was the same way. It's incredible. No other game and very few movies/book/shows have ever made me so emotionally invested in characters and their struggle
What are you up to?

Footos22

The amount of times I have had to restart uec chapter because the world vanishes is really putting me off finishing this. I don't get much time anymore and have to put up with this bs for the last 2 days.

I love the fact that the multiplayer is just as heart racing as the single player at times. Me and my brother were partied up and at the end of a supply drop match we we're the only two left and hunkered down to take out the remaining teams 5 lives.

Crafting on the fly, healing each other and coordinating our listen modes so we could use them in succession was so intense and when the match finally ended I realized I had been holding my breath for quite a while. It's nice to play something that rewards teamwork and tactics as opposed to another run and gun game.

I have nothing but the highest praise for that scene (I mean the entire thing, from minute 1 until "The Last of Us" pops up on the screen) and the way it is directed, but it did not affect me emotionally enough to tear up.

Just got to
Colorado - UEC
Did you get emotional or anything during the scene between Joel and Ellie
in the cabin after she runs off
? I thought the acting was so good and I cared about the characters so...

Superflat

Fun game but damn if some people online dont suck ass. It's not even complicated move together as a team.

I'm one of those people :(

Granted I do stick close to at least one other person but I sucked hard in the three rounds I played. Like one down/kill per round. Bottom-feeder tier.

Felt so bad that I left, lol. It was the responsible thing to do :p

Gonna play through TLOU on Survival mode and try out multiplayer again, hopefully as a better player... even though my aiming has always been garbage with analog sticks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Multiplayer felt super shitty at first but I'm kind of enjoying it now. I like what they tried to do, at least, although they didn't pull it off as successfully as I would have hoped. I suck ass though.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
After beating the game
and Joel's turn of character I'm super glad I got the Ellie edition. I don't like Joel anymore, him and his stupid sweet southern accent :(((

Evolved1

I only have one regret about SP: upgrading my large weapon holster. The two large weapons look pretty retarded on the backpack.

You can't undo it, either.

I should have restarted that chapter... now I'm stuck with it in NG+. :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I only have one regret about SP: upgrading my large weapon holster. The two large weapons look pretty retarded on the backpack.

You can't undo it, either.

I should have restarted that chapter... now I'm stuck with it in NG+. :(
It looks better if one of them is the bow.

antitrop

First thing they do after giving you the
Flamethrower
is give you a small room of 5 Runners.

There's only one way that situation is going down.

just got my copy in today.. i didn't have the time to play singleplayer but i tried the multiplayer and to my surprise its completely awful

jediyoshi

I love the fact that the multiplayer is just as heart racing as the single player at times. Me and my brother were partied up and at the end of a supply drop match we we're the only two left and hunkered down to take out the remaining teams 5 lives.

Crafting on the fly, healing each other and coordinating our listen modes so we could use them in succession was so intense and when the match finally ended I realized I had been holding my breath for quite a while. It's nice to play something that rewards teamwork and tactics as opposed to another run and gun game.

Rushing people about to throw molotovs. Crafting stuff mid battle. Steadily wearing down people camping by having them slowly run out of ammo. Being forced to scavenge around the map for materials. Typically having only enough ammo for a single encounter at a time. Bobbing and weaving around objects to escape an encounter. It's silly how methodical they've managed to turn a third person game with UC MP just feeling like a quake game.

Top Bottom