• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I'm about 50% and about 8+ hours in. Just
past the sewers and on the way to the radio tower
. The thing that really got to me was.....

"They didn't suffer" written on the floor
. T_T

I'm about 50% and about 8+ hours in. Just
past the sewers and on the way to the radio tower
. The thing that really got to me was.....

"They didn't suffer" written on the floor
. T_T
Yeah a chill went down my spine when I read the note, saw the writing, then it clicked what I was seeing and what was under the tarp. Powerful stuff

Favorite line of the game so far:

72% -
"Maybe after all that research they turned into fucking monkeys."
Ditto...those fucking
monkeys
! Made me search the whole area, thinking there were enemies hiding somewhere

Jigolo

41% in the game. Just finished the
truck scene where we crashed. The whole Bill, Joel, and Ellie dynamic was done great.

Been watching a playthrough of the game.
the youtuber has reached the part where they've been ambushed and he's at the area that was heavily advertised at the game's first E3 showing and I think he has a big glitch. The entire house s empty, no enemies what so ever, the area after too. Is this a known glitch where enemies from an entire area disappear?

armv

So what exactly is carried over into New Game+? Weapon upgrades? Joel upgrades?

I beat the game on Hard and then started a New Game+ on Normal, but nothing seemed to carry over.

I'm at the first clicker encounter with runner groups. Lol like wtf is the game this hard? I can't even beat it on normal.

Don't forget your non-firearm options. Stun runners with a brick or bottle then run in and press triangle to grab them, then square to kill them instantly. If you don't have a melee weapon, you can melee with bricks to kill clickers.

First actual tears of the game at 70% -
the house where Joel finds Ellie after she runs away and she confronts him about giving her over to Tommy.

:(

Yeah, oddly enough, that scene kind of got to me. I'm not sure if it was just the very powerful performances by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, the music, the script, or a combination of all of them, but I almost started to tear up a little. Normally a scene like that wouldn't have made me feel much of anything, but I think by that point, I really started to care about Joel and Ellie's relationship.

The scene afterwards with
Ellie giving Tommy's horse back and going with Joel made me grin from ear to ear.
:)

TTG

As I type this, I realize that most of my first posts in OT threads have been the same, oh well:

What difficulty do I go with? I usually pick the third out of four(which is hard in this case), but I would love to know if there's a big bump in enemy health that comes along with it, or what. If I remember correctly, Uncharted did not handle this well. Shooting people repeatedly in the face, first to knock helmets off and then multiple times following...

As I type this, I realize that most of my first posts in OT threads have been the same, oh well:

What difficulty do I go with? I usually pick the third out of four(which is hard in this case), but I would love to know if there's a big bump in enemy health that comes along with it, or what. If I remember correctly, Uncharted did not handle this well. Shooting people repeatedly in the face, first to knock helmets off and then multiple times following...

Do Hard with Listen Mode turned off.

Enemies have the same health on all difficulty modes iirc. The main difference is there are less supplies, so you have to conserve your ammo and various items more carefully. And I think you take more damage, but I'm not 100% certain.

I must really be a bad shot or something. I'm about 50% in...and I don't see this abundance of ammo that you guys talk about. My guns are barely fully loaded. I stealth quite a lot, and I search every nook & cranny, crevices & holes..

At one point, I only have 8 rifle ammo, zero arrows, shotgun, pistol and revolver ammo! And met a pack of runners and clickers. I threw some bombs and had to run around to let the AI partner do the work!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, oddly enough, that scene kind of got to me. I'm not sure if it was just the very powerful performances by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, the music, the script, or a combination of all of them, but I almost started to tear up a little. Normally a scene like that wouldn't have made me feel much of anything, but I think by that point, I really started to care about Joel and Ellie's relationship.

The scene afterwards with
Ellie giving Tommy's horse back and going with Joel made me grin from ear to ear.
:)
So legit. These may as well be human beings giving performances in a film. I mean, I don't know how else to describe it. Yes, the voice acting is exquisite from the leads down to the minor bits, but these characters are like... I don't even know who at Naughty Dog gets the credit. The animators? Mocap folk? Some director or another? Voice coaches?

Mid-winter spoilers:
Joel's interrogation. "I believe him." So viscerally satisfying.
The pacing of the game at this point is fucking flawless.

Eleuin

Been watching a playthrough of the game.
the youtuber has reached the part where they've been ambushed and he's at the area that was heavily advertised at the game's first E3 showing and I think he has a big glitch. The entire house s empty, no enemies what so ever, the area after too. Is this a known glitch where enemies from an entire area disappear?
Chris Smoove right? This is the first time I've seen this happen, really odd. Maybe its karma for playing on easy lol

Astral

Alright so, I'm really frustrated by a couple of things:

1. AI screams "There's some ahead. Let's not make any noise" and subsequently runs around like a tool with STOMP STOMP STOMP blasting through my surround sound set up. It just kills the experience for me. The A.I is so awful.

2. I need help. Ellie and I have just joined up with the game's third NPC
Bill. We're heading to school. I'm just out of reach of it in a yard filled with school buses and those creatures. There's a linear path you must follow to the right. I take out 3-4 creatures no problem. But everytime I pass the last corner, it's almost like a trigger an invisible line that tells the creatures to scream and rush for me. I can't get past this. I've used bottles and bricks to distract but none come out of hiding behind that last bus.

This trial and error stuff is a nightmare. Unsure how this is getting masterpiece/10 scores.

Don't worry, that's supposed to happen. I thought it was annoying too.

Am I the only one who is glad that the companion A.I. sucked major ass? The last thing I want is the A.I. being stuck behind a wall and getting spotted. Its my game, let me control the outcome! :p

There were so many scenarios where I had to quickly run to a different room because the enemy was turning around and the A.I. companions were no where to be seen, or they just stood at the same spot and ran across from the different direction. In those cases, I'm glad the A.I. was a bit broken.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alright so, I'm really frustrated by a couple of things:

1. AI screams "There's some ahead. Let's not make any noise" and subsequently runs around like a tool with STOMP STOMP STOMP blasting through my surround sound set up. It just kills the experience for me. The A.I is so awful.

2. I need help. Ellie and I have just joined up with the game's third NPC
Bill. We're heading to school. I'm just out of reach of it in a yard filled with school buses and those creatures. There's a linear path you must follow to the right. I take out 3-4 creatures no problem. But everytime I pass the last corner, it's almost like a trigger an invisible line that tells the creatures to scream and rush for me. I can't get past this. I've used bottles and bricks to distract but none come out of hiding behind that last bus.

This trial and error stuff is a nightmare. Unsure how this is getting masterpiece/10 scores.
Have you considered lowering the difficulty? :-/ I know I wasn't that confident with the gameplay at that point but the encounter you're talking about still didn't give me that much trouble, and in all seriousness if you found that part that challenging you'll be smashing things during later sequences.

My tips would be: don't be afraid of melee. Runners are pretty weaksauce, especially if you've got a melee weapon. Run and swing. Save shots for clickers and of course, aim for the head. There are a few things you can climb on there too.
Bill is pretty competent as well, try to stay aware of where he is and cover each other.

Chuckled at an easter egg in Winter:
Faithful Dog pet store! :p

edit: RustyNails don't call any more attention to that :-/

TimeInc

Are there any sales figures? Kinda worried Naughty dog didnt get the success they deserve.

I just read that it apparently sold 1.3 million, bigest launch of the year so far. Not sure how accurate the sales are.... All I know for sure is it was pretty hard to get hold of it in the UK sold out in a lot of shops and I went for it at like 10:00am, managed to get it though :)

Dresden

There's a few of those annoying sequences where a trigger just unleashes a bunch of enemies on you. When that happens, just remember that fire cleanses all.

Believe in the molotov.

LuuKyK

Just started. How do you switch melee weapons? Like I have a shiv and want to change to a pipe.

Chivs are not the same as melee weapons. You get melee weapons later in the game and can only carry one. You can switch to another one be holding triangle (when you find another one laying around) or it just breaks after you use it too much.

Are Runners the hardest enemies to stealth around in this game? Jesus. If you make the slightest movement around them (even behind them) and you're close enough to them they'll whip around and scream. After several attempts I found that the only way I could stealth kill one of them was to stay perfectly still in one spot, gently push forward on the analog stick and instantly press triangle before they inevitably spun around and saw me. This took practice and was only feasible with one of them.

If you don't have the arrows, what do you do with Runners? Fight them? Track all of their movement simultaneously and move around them at a painfully slow pace hoping one of their constant head turns never spots you?

Leeness

There's a few of those annoying sequences where a trigger just unleashes a bunch of enemies on you. When that happens, just remember that fire cleanses all.

Believe in the molotov.

Yep. Kept dying at one forced point so I just made a couple of molotovs, waited, and threw them at both the doors and waited for anyone that could crawl over the bodies of their buddies and not catch fire. >:)

jett

D-Member
This is such a hilariously trite response. Do you understand what actual wall hacks are?

What? You don't just brush that shit off. Nearly every kill I've gotten in MP has been thanks to listening mode. It's bullshit. Personally I'm not feeling the MP, even less the fact it's pretty much just deathmatch.

Calcium

Banned
When you are crossing the
dam
and Ellie asks for a high five for teamwork did anyone not push triangle? Just curious if she said anything about leaving her hanging.

Top Bottom