• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

antitrop

What did you get up to?

And...holy shit, right?
When Joel got impaled, I literally stoop up and let out a half-whisper in-shock 'No!'. I honestly thought he would die right there. ND did an awesome job making us care for the characters.

Oh, and Ellie's a little badass now!!

where did you stop at

82% -
After Ellie gets shot off her horse I murdered all the guys in the village and stopped there

I figure I have about 3 hours left.

antitrop

Would it be right to assume that the university in the fall chapter is based of colorado state university??
I saw the texture of an address in Boulder, Colorado, which is where CU is.

We don't call it ECU and Boulder isn't in the eastern part of Colorado... it's actually north-west of Denver.

DatDude

Banned
I saw the texture of an address in Boulder, Colorado. Which is where CU is.

We don't call it ECU. And Boulder isn't in the eastern part of Colorado... actually it's north-west of Denver.

I imagine that naughty dog had to get the university's permission to use the schools name in the game...i also imagine they might've said no.

Kaiken

Banned
After almost 19 hours, the Last of Us is complete. Longest action game ever and it was brilliant. It was like Metal Gear/Resident Evil but with pure grit.

I've having an absolute ball in mp, and I think a lot of us would gladly contribute to an mp thread.

I play supply raid almost exclusively, here's some tips for dudes having problems.
- Spending parts to buy ammo/guns/armor does not affect the final bonus supplies you'll get, those are based solely on your score which does not change even if you buy items.
- Craft as many things as you can, crafted items make the most difference in my experience. I like bombs and molotovs, followed by upgraded melee weapons. I don't ever make first aid kits because those are littered all over the map.
- Armor covers your head and upper torso, so shooting an armored dude in the legs takes him down just as fast. This also means a crouching armored dude is pretty safe.
- Sprinting makes you show up on the enemy's minimap. Walking or crouch walk doesn't. I almost never sprint unless absolutely necessary.
- Listen mode is king, but you don't need to hold it down continuously. Walk a distance, listen to check, carry on walking if its clear. If you can see enemies via listen mode, they can see you too.
- Special executions should only be done if you know you aren't going to get shot at when you're doing it. Because there is wave respawn, you can look at the number of enemies alive and decide if you want to go in for the special execution.
- Stay close to your team mates so that you can flank the enemy, but don't cluster together, you'd be a sucker for molotovs.

edit:
Perks that I like:
- Covert training 2, can't be seen on listen mode when crouch walking is superb if you like flanking.
- Crafter 1, crafting items in a pinch has saved me more than a few times
- Collector 2, if you're going for unlocking customizations this is essential to bringing your clan to population 100. I made it to 114 before I crashed out and never recovered.
- Explosion expert, I like bombs and molotovs, molotovs are usually instant downs + executions
- Pistol auto-zoom, 9mm is a great close range weapon while revolver can substitute as a decent mid range weapon, this perk is more useful than I had initially thought.
Perks that I don't like:
- Sharp ears, great for listen mode, but not actually necessary in my opinion.
- Brawler, finding a 4 x 4 isn't very common, and neither is getting close enough to melee enemies.
- Marathon runner, I prefer silence.
- Strategist, not really useful in my opinion.

How do you crash out? It seems to me like I'm only good enought to get the supplies needed to sustain a 70-strong clan (without Collector)

Also, do you keep your hats and emblems and things when you crash out? I use Covert Ops but its a bit negated if you're in a group with others who don't. Only got one stealth kill, 4 weeks in :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there a zoo in Salt Lake City? And how long did you stay there with Ellie? About 6, 7 minutes for me

. And a while, probably about that long. The game's score just gets kicked up to another level at this point. Fuck...

92%. I don't want this to end :-/

Duffyside

Banned
Help.

I'm at
The Hunt, at the part where Ellie's horse got shot and now she's in this pretty cool area with lots of cabins (I think a park and a lake?), and tons of dudes looking to kill her. Snuck past all of them to the stairs on the other side of the level, only to find no where to go? Is this one of those areas where I have to kill everyone?

Can I just say how extremely pleased I was at the LACK of trophy unlocks? Only seeing three at the end for beating it on Hard was...amazing.

I thought something was WRONG at first. I looked at the trophies to make sure it hadn't glitched out or something. But no, totally normal and so much more effective. Absolutely nothing in-game to take you out of the narrative.

A wonderful game.

Yes! Cudo's to ND. All games Trophies should be like this... I hate the games with 50 trophies. Give me 10 good trophies... that's all I need.
Yup, I was certainly surprised how quickly that was over. Short, but absolutely so sweet.

I can't believe you arent done with it. You are like the most vocal person on here! Go play and stop gaffing!

maomaoIYP

How do you crash out? It seems to me like I'm only good enought to get the supplies needed to sustain a 70-strong clan (without Collector)

Also, do you keep your hats and emblems and things when you crash out? I use Covert Ops but its a bit negated if you're in a group with others who don't. Only got one stealth kill, 4 weeks in :(

Yeah you keep everything that you've unlocked. When I use covert ops, I don't actively engage the enemy, I stay near the team but out of the main line of sight. Once my teammates start fighting I crouch walk till I'm out of the enemy's line of sight (by watching their red blips + listen mode) and then just regular walk up to them for the shiv and flank. That's also why I don't use covert ops 1. Covert ops only gets useful from the 2nd level onwards.

I crashed out because near the 12th week you'll get two back to back missions that will give you minimum loss of 20% population. I messed up the first and lost 40%. I ended week 12 with only 40+ population.

Normal. Searched everywhere and switched up my combat scenarios. Stealth/Rambo. Took a lot of time planning attack.

Planning during combat is easily the most time consuming part of gameplay for me. I'm a meticulous ghost until the eventual screw up then everyone better duck cause I'm throwing shots.

And since nobody pointed this out, Naughty Dog out Tomb Raider'd Tomb Raider in terms of building a character into a legit survivor. Ellie >>>>> Rambo Croft

Vire

Okay GAF fall was good but too short. Will play winter tomorrow.

All of the rest of the seasons are comparatively much shorter than Summer. (Fall, Winter, Spring combined are probably roughly the same length as Summer).

Duffyside

Banned
Can I just say how extremely pleased I was at the LACK of trophy unlocks? Only seeing three at the end for beating it on Hard was...amazing.

I thought something was WRONG at first. I looked at the trophies to make sure it hadn't glitched out or something. But no, totally normal and so much more effective. Absolutely nothing in-game to take you out of the narrative.

A wonderful game.

Eh, while I appreciate that aspect, I still think it stinks that there are like 10 completion trophies and 10 collectible trophies or whatever. I'm not even sure "keeping the player immersed" is what they were going for, since there are a couple you can get on your first playthrough.

Would've preferred some more fun, creative trophies that you could only get during a NG+ playthrough, since that's already a pretty game-y construct.

RyanDG

Done.

18 hours on hard.

I'm not going to say much here, but...

Despite the game being essentially a love song to a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction, the game still felt fresh even though it was highly derivative in terms of its narrative. With that being said however, this was also probably one of the most impact/emotion filled narratives I've experienced in a game in a very long time. It took me a while to get used to the combat and the stealth, but when it finally clicked, I began to realize that it is a lot more intuitive then I was trying to make it at first. And I shuddered so often in the game at the violence. Spec Ops the Line pales in comparison to how uncomfortable this game made me at times.

Now on to multiplayer. I've played it a bit, but if anyone wants to play, feel free to add me on PSN, ryandg82.

Help.

I'm at
The Hunt, at the part where Ellie's horse got shot and now she's in this pretty cool area with lots of cabins (I think a park and a lake?), and tons of dudes looking to kill her. Snuck past all of them to the stairs on the other side of the level, only to find no where to go? Is this one of those areas where I have to kill everyone?
Maybe, maybe not.
You want to make your way forward, up to a point beyond the bathrooms where guards patrol a staircase. Up those stairs and to the left there is a narrow path - thats your goal. If you can get there by stealth, more power to ya. Good luck.

BTW - It was this area here in particular where all the mechanics - everything came together and it all just clicked for me. I took them all out in cinematic fashion, completely realistic, heart pounding, tactical and diverse ways. I fell completely in love with all the options available and how smoothly you could transition between all of them.

This game's multiplayer is pretty dang awesome. Very tactical, rewards teamwork in a way few games can. Once we get some additional modes and some elements refined I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes one of the top PS3 games online. Already got a comprehensive list worked up to submit to our contacts at ND. So pumped!

If you're interested in playing competitively, there's an active ladder that just started over on Fragged Nation. Prize tournaments on the way too. Come check it out: http://www.fraggednation.com/standings/ps3/the-last-of-us/TLOU-Competitive-League-8930

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
14 hours 15 minutes on the clock and my Normal playthrough is now over. Definitely my favorite game of the year so far, and it's way up there on the list of my favorite games from this generation. Pretty much everything from Bill's Town onward was just fantastic.

Going to have to mull over how I feel about the ending for a while, but I definitely don't hate what they did.

Easy_G

Am I the only one who is glad that the companion A.I. sucked major ass? The last thing I want is the A.I. being stuck behind a wall and getting spotted. Its my game, let me control the outcome! :p

There were so many scenarios where I had to quickly run to a different room because the enemy was turning around and the A.I. companions were no where to be seen, or they just stood at the same spot and ran across from the different direction. In those cases, I'm glad the A.I. was a bit broken.

I'm not sure what you mean. The AI isn't perfect, but it never caused me trouble. And unless I'm mistaken, the AI companions can't alert enemies. Hell I've seen one run into a clicker multiple times with no effect.

Duffyside

Banned
Maybe, maybe not.
You want to make your way forward, up to a point beyond the bathrooms where guards patrol a staircase. Up those stairs and to the left there is a narrow path - thats your goal. If you can get there by stealth, more power to ya. Good luck.

BTW - It was this area here in particular where all the mechanics - everything came together and it all just clicked for me. I took them all out in cinematic fashion, completely realistic, heart pounding, tactical and diverse ways. I fell completely in love with all the options available and how smoothly you could transition between all of them.

Thanks a lot. I didn't see that path, but at least I'll know where to look.

It's my feeling now I should avoid combat at all costs on Hard, as there have been many times I've come so close to running out of items and ammo. I need to conserve
Boehner 2016 :p

kurbaan

Banned
Can someone give me an idea how much longer I have? I just
had the black kid turn and his brother kill himself.

Id say you around halfway.

Just finished this game and wow 17 hours 35 minutes on Hard. I really didn't want it to end at all just because I want more of the characters that you are sad because you are done with their story. Need to let it sink in GOTY for sure. Maybe GOTG but dunno yet.

*END Spoilers
I wonder if Ellie at the end just accepted what Joel said even though she knew he was lying. And Joel really transformed through the game from this guy who was just bottling everything inside to being open with Ellie talking about Sarah.

I think if they make a sequel it'd have to be with Ellie as the main. She become one of my favourite character amazing job by ND and her Voice actor.

Eterniti

I just got back into this tonight after being hooked on Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Holy hell is this game hard on hard... but I think I just gotta rethink a lot of the preconceived notions I have with stealth in games. I'm still thinking MGS1 logic :p

Well, (possibly lesser-known enemy type spoiler)
Stalkers
are probably the toughest to stealth around, but regardless... runners can still see pretty well and hear. So you can stealth around them in the same way you would human beings, except you can use your flashlight. But when things go south, get used to beating the crap out of them. They're really quite squishy.

From a certain distance, definitely.

The runners seem far more perceptive than human beings thus far. Unless I'm already dealing with
stalkers
and mistaking them for runners.

sewer.

Edit: Oh this is exactly what I've been doing. Oops.

katkombat

Banned
Near endgame spoilers:
that whole reveal with David and the ending confrontation with his machete was so fucking powerful. And hey, the wikia says he was voiced/mocapped by Nolan North!

I fucking love you Naughty Dog. Wish I preordered every version of this game available. I will be buying the artbook and standard/limited editions of the strategy guide.

cacophony

holy shit I suck at this game. I literally have no clue where I'm supposed to go in these areas until 4-5 times after I've been spotted and killed

edit: lol
I was supposed to kill everyone

katkombat

Banned
. And a while, probably about that long. The game's score just gets kicked up to another level at this point. Fuck...

92%. I don't want this to end :-/

I am at 92%, I don't want this to end you guys.
Same... Will play tomorrow... :(

For me it was downhill after Bill's Town. That town was amazing though.

WHAT WHAT WHAT

like in the sense that its supposed to be terrible for the characters or just in your opinion?

antitrop

Don't settle on a stealth mentality. The game doesnt necessarily want you to. I did so and it drove me batshit insane. It's a survival game not a stealth one.
Sometimes I enjoy picking unnecessary fights just to see what the incredible AI will do. There are so many awesome, semi-random combat scenarios that I almost feel like I'm cheating myself out of experiences when I stealth-kill someone.

Top Bottom