• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Raxus

Don't settle on a stealth mentality. The game doesnt necessarily want you to. I did so and it drove me batshit insane. It's a survival game not a stealth one.

This becomes abundantly clear in some places like
Bill's Town and Winter

Stealth merely gives you an edge but you will need to spend the bullets you save on some enemies.

At the end of hard I had so much ammo I could have killed a whole wave of clickers and bandits and still had some ammo to spare. Survivor is turning out the same way too.

Be smart with what weapons you use and you should get through just fine. The game hands you ammo when you really need it.

plenilune

like in the sense that its supposed to be terrible for the characters or just in your opinion?

As in sense of exploring and general atmosphere. Little things like the
gnome garden and runner banging on door
, and the part leading up to it (
walk in the woods with Ellie
).

Raxus

As in sense of exploring and general atmosphere. Little things like the
gnome garden and runner banging on door
, and the part leading up to it (
walk in the woods with Ellie
).

How far into the game are you? If you loved those parts there is a TON more like those you mentioned later on.

ThisOne

Holy shit, people are already goddamn pros in the multiplayer. Just lost my fourth 0-20 match in a row. :|

Haha, really? I haven't seen anything that bad yet. It can get pretty ugly though if you get matched up against four people in a party and no one on your team has a mic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
From what I've seen it seems like you will get WRECKED in the no respawn mode without your own party, but it fairs a lot better in the other mode.

Wow the MP servers have gone to crap, I keep getting thrown into games that are nearly over which means I don't have enough time to gather the 70 supplies I need per game. Which means half my survivors are now hungry or sick, which kind of ruins the experience. Especially when it happens 3 games in a row.

plenilune

How far into the game are you? If you loved those parts there is a TON more like those you mentioned later on.

I finished the game, but I did miss nearly 1/3 the collectibles. There are great moments after that for sure.. but as the game develops, story gains more focus, less on random exploration (which is what I love about these games). Just my feel.

maomaoIYP

Wow the MP servers have gone to crap, I keep getting thrown into games that are nearly over which means I don't have enough time to gather the 70 supplies I need per game. Which means half my survivors are now hungry or sick, which kind of ruins the experience. Especially when it happens 3 games in a row.

You can quit via XMB without penalty.

I got disconnected from the host twice today in multiplayer, completely wrecked my numbers. It's pretty fun, but it's a bit disheartening when that happens. Plus on my second disconnect I was on day 3/3 for some challenge that I was about to complete, not sure how that impacted it yet but I'm sure it'll screw me over somehow.

AlexBasch

Ya, I played it last Saturday and was even getting completely wrecked. Not much more than 24 hours after the game was available at retail and I'm an above average gamer.

Haha, really? I haven't seen anything that bad yet. It can get pretty ugly though if you get matched up against four people in a party and no one on your team has a mic.
Yeah, the no mic thing was what wrecked me. Played the Survivor mode and fared quite well against a team, but the Supply Raid mode is just insane.

I'm far too shy to use a mic, but at least I'll try to listen to the team and play along. Still, got horribly wrecked by master snipers, flame throwers and lots of shivs down my neck. ):

Holy shit, people are already goddamn pros in the multiplayer. Just lost my fourth 0-20 match in a row. :|

I had that problem until I stopped playing it like a shooter. Say with another person and move VERY little. If you stay still they can't hear you and you can get the drop as they move up.

That said, anything other than a headshot isnt' effective enough.

I found that at the beginning you can probably run to two item boxes and I usually have enough to make a bomb. The first upgrade I got gives me a shiv on every life, very helpful

Raxus

I finished the game, but I did miss nearly 1/3 the collectibles. There are great moments after that for sure.. but as the game develops, story gains more focus, less on random exploration (which is what I love about these games). Just my feel.

Just off the top of my head
Opening of my winter, the campus, the dam, the town post sewer, etc.
Each provide some cool areas to explore with little to no threats to worry about. But I hope when you do a sweep of all the collectibles you will just see how open they made parts of the game.

Sajjaja

The multiplayer is kind of annoying in my opinion. I don't like the maps and there isn't much creativity involved in it. Pubs go one way or another and most people are just pub stomping simply because they are playing with friends who all have mics.

I really wished there was some sort of coop horde mode, or Surivivors vs infected or something other than fucking deathmatch. It can be fun, but.... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... it's not really hitting the spot. I mostly play survivors. The other mode seems boring and tedious.

I'm at 61% complete.

I just finished the part where you

(Lots of story spoilers)
Play tower defense with the sniper rifle. Sam got infected and Henry killed himself.

Game is fucking crazy.

GQman2121

Banned
--Ellie's little chats with Joel while walking around the environment are pretty incredible.

--Molotov's are my favorite weapon to surprise small groups with.

--The combat has really grown on me. You should mix it up with stealth, ranged attacks and ambushes.

--I can't remember the last singleplayer game I played where the first trophy (and only trophy thus far) didn't pop until hour six.

I just finished the part where you

(Story Spoilers)
Play tower defense with the sniper rifle. Sam got infected and Henry killed himself. It is now Fall.

Game is crazy.

That's a lot of spoilers man. Try and add 55% complete at least to it. Don't want anyone to be spoiled by that.

Just had to save when they arrive at
the hospital and Joel kills the guy leading him out
and it says 97%, I dont' want it to end guys :( I think this is the best game I've ever played, what a way to end this gen.

Soma

Welp. Just got to
Fall

Hoo boy. This game.

And people are saying it gets better after this point? Oh man.

Leeness

About 70% spoilers at
the university.

So I just got to the university, and picked up a flamethrower. Wanted to try it out before I went to bed so I figured I'd just test it in the first area with runners and I'd probably die or whatever and then I'd turn the game off for the night.

NOPE. Fire cleanses all. I went upstairs and set every runner on fire and it was hilarious. :D

I just lost the connection to the host while at the very start of a round, while 100% of my population is at risk from a hunter attack. I didn't acheive any kills and wasted a whole game. Bullshit. They need to fix this shit.

Teknoman

The multiplayer is kind of annoying in my opinion. I don't like the maps and there isn't much creativity involved in it. Pubs go one way or another and most people are just pub stomping simply because they are playing with friends who all have mics.

I really wished there was some sort of coop horde mode, or Surivivors vs infected or something other than fucking deathmatch. It can be fun, but.... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... it's not really hitting the spot. I mostly play survivors. The other mode seems boring and tedious.

Thats why we need to make a PSN chatroom like with Uncharted 2 & 3, so we can invite people whenever.

kurbaan

Banned
Just had to save when they arrive at
the hospital and Joel kills the guy leading him out
and it says 97%, I dont' want it to end guys :( I think this is the best game I've ever played, what a way to end this gen.

The most amazing thing about this game was it is probably the longest single player game (Action game) I have played this gen and it felt like the game went by too fast. And then i check how long i played for and its 17.5 hours.

plenilune

I assumed MP would have coop survival mode like L2D; disappointed to find out it didn't. I guess it's coming in DLC.

antitrop

The most amazing thing about this game was it is probably the longest single player game (Action game) I have played this gen and it felt like the game went by too fast. And then i check how long i played for and its 17.5 hours.
Resident Evil 6 took me like 30 miserable hours. It is the single most unnecessarily long game game ever made.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Argh, I'm starting to fucking hate this game. I know that it'll sometimes give you some freedom in choosing how to take on an encounter (confrontation, stealth takedowns, running away, or sneaking away). But sometimes one approach will clearly be the best and safest, yet it's being obfuscated.

For example, right now I'm at what I'm assuming is the end of the Pittsburgh level.
Me and the two brothers are trying to take down the guys patrolling the bridge after sunset. We easily choke the first two inside the building, then go outside for the others while they're controlling the searchlight and shooting down infected. I silently take down a third guy, turn off the searchlight's motor, and 5 of them decide to jump down to see what's going on.

This is the part where I'm overwhelmed. I don't know which approach I'm supposed to take. 5 is a bit too much to slowly take down stealthily. Any tips?

I mean, it's far from being impossible. But I'm sick of going at this snail's pace. I wish there were quicker ways or less encounters. It's getting a bit repetitive for my taste.

Fwiw, I'm playing on Hard.

Seriously? beause (last level spoilers)
I HAD to use it against the 2 bloaters and like 7 clickers
I think i know the part you're talking about. I hid behind a barricade, threw two molotovs at a bloater and they all flocked to the BBQ. Then I finished the stragglers with a bomb. None of them saw me because they were all distracted by each other dying

I would have used the flamethrower there if I'd thought of it

I mean, it's far from being impossible. But I'm sick of going at this snail's pace. I wish there were quicker ways or less encounters. It's getting a bit repetitive for my taste.

Fwiw, I'm playing on Hard.

I used a
Moltov cocktail when 3 of them jumped down and got all 3
took care of the rest with my trusty shotgun.

Foxix Von

I think i know the part you're talking about. I hid behind a barricade, threw two molotovs at a bloater and they all flocked to the BBQ. Then I finished the stragglers with a bomb. None of them saw me because they were all distracted by each other dying

I would have used the flamethrower there if I'd thought of it

You guys actually fought them? Jesus, I took one look at that mess and just snuck the fuck past them.

Ended up saving my flamethrower for the segment immediately after that.

Turns out revenge tastes a lot like burnt corpses.

Squire

Banned
I'm having trouble with
the dude that wants to kill Ellie. I've snuck on him once, but now he's got his meat cleaved out and I can't seem to fit again.
Tips?

TripOpt55

I feel a little bad when my survivors in multiplayer get sick or hungry guys. I know they are little dots, but I feel bad. I had one off match and we were in bad shape! Bounced back though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
But so hilarious :D
Yup, it's funny seeing the runners being burnt alive. The great thing about it is that you just have to make some noise and everyone starts charging at you making them an easy target with the flamethrower.

I'm having trouble with
the dude that wants to kill Ellie. I've snuck on him once, but now he's got his meat cleaved out and I can't seem to fit again.
Tips?
Don't stay in that area (burning door), go inside. He will have trouble following you and then stab him in the back.

Top Bottom