• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So I shouldn't trying stealth after turning of the searchlight?

I don't think there's enough to hide behind to properly maneuver. I laid a bomb trap down, the rest pretty much depends on how many arrows you have. Otherwise you'll have to fight.

For example, right now I'm at what I'm assuming is the end of the Pittsburgh level.
Me and the two brothers are trying to take down the guys patrolling the bridge after sunset. We easily choke the first two inside the building, then go outside for the others while they're controlling the searchlight and shooting down infected. I silently take down a third guy, turn off the searchlight's motor, and 5 of them decide to jump down to see what's going on.

This is the part where I'm overwhelmed. I don't know which approach I'm supposed to take. 5 is a bit too much to slowly take down stealthily. Any tips?

I mean, it's far from being impossible. But I'm sick of going at this snail's pace. I wish there were quicker ways or less encounters. It's getting a bit repetitive for my taste.

Fwiw, I'm playing on Hard.

I replayed this a few times. Each time I approached it differently.
At first, I also turned off the generator, and all of 'em came jumping down. Another time, I threw a bomb at them, killed 2 or 3 of them. The other 2 were easy. Another time, I shot an arrow or something and killed one guy, then only one or two guys jumped down to investigate. The different approach to a single scenario evokes different responses from the AI. I love this game!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah, there was no around fighting in the open. I used a Molotov and through in some melee, but ended up having to use an aid kit which I absolutely hate. And I'm starting to agree than turning off the motor was a bad idea. I could have taken more people with bombs while being together up top.

Sajjaja

Seriously? beause (last level spoilers)
I HAD to use it against the 2 bloaters and like 7 clickers

I snuck through that part no problem. I was on the left wall, tossed a bottle to the far right side to pull them away and snuck passed. I almost got attacked by a Clicker who wouldn't attracted the bloaters, but I had the trusty bow to deal with him :p

So I shouldn't trying stealth after turning of the searchlight?

I had to just gun it at that part.

tfur

Completion.

I am so sad it is over.

I fought for these people.
I became these people.
For 19 hours I lived in that world. I am pretty much emotionally spent.

It's one of those things that you can feel as it blows by. The game experience is like a relationship gone by now.

Thank you Naughty Dog, and Sony.

antitrop

You guys and girls thought I liked Spec Ops: The Line last year?

Whoa baby, this one redefines what "Game of the Year" means. Especially when you compare it to something like The Walking Dead, which was absolutely fantastic and won many GOTY awards last year, but completely pales in comparison to The Last of Us.

TWD was also Derrick01's GOTY, if I do remember correctly.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
A good bit into this now (70% or so?) and I think I'm a little worn out on human enemies. Doesn't help that the game is currently being stingy with anything other than arrows or buckshot ammo either.

The combat in this game is so brutal, intense, but most importantly absolutely unpredictable. You never know how you're gonna get attacked and from what angle/direction. I'm in love.

Wow. This game.

I'm probably around 60% or so and I'm going to go ahead and say this is my game of the year. The narrative is so good and I'm already attached to Joel's and Ellie's relationship. I literally have to force myself to stop playing. I hope the game never ends.

I-hate-u

Wow. This game.

I'm probably around 60% or so and I'm going to go ahead and say this is my game of the year. The narrative is so good and I'm already attached to Joel's and Ellie's relationship. I literally have to force myself to stop playing. I hope the game never ends.

The last 30-40% of game the are the best.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nope.

Yup.
Whoa, WHOA, it unlocks even on EASY?!

A part of me is thinking "don't switch, what about the Trophies?!" while the other is like "SO LONG MOTHERFUCKERS!"

Edit:

The difficulty doesn't affect enemy count and enemies' health and/or weapons' effectiveness though, only no. supplies, correct?

Bollocks

Finished it.
With all the hype and stuff("you will cry" lol) I legitimately thought that this game from a story perspective could match the pinnacle of interactive story telling, Metal Gear Solid 3.
I was wrong.

Even though I fell through geometry twice and the story being pretty mediocre, I still give this game 10/10 because even with these flaws the game is above 90% of the competition.

antitrop

Finished it.
With all the hype and stuff("you will cry" lol) I legitimately thought that this game from a story perspective could match the pinnacle of interactive story telling, Metal Gear Solid 3.
I was wrong.

Even though I fell through geometry twice and the story being pretty mediocre, I still give this game 10/10 because even with these flaws the game is above 90% of the competition.

yg9cL.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's crazy how human the enemies can feel in this game. Yes they are scum of the earth, but when you hear them discussing their plans and hopes for the future, plans which really make sense in the context in which they find themselves, you can't help but feel something for them. I just try to avoid them and sneak or run when found as much as possible.

I also just remembered how bleak and sad was a small moment in which Ellie apologized for a brief burst of happiness and exhilaration she displayed.

trolololol
Seriously, it already gets better literally *right* after that. That's where I am now so it's very fresh in memory.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So, I love everything about the multiplayer so far except for Armor. That stuff is BS. I've never used it, and I do fine, but there's nothing less satisfying than getting no reaction to a perfect headshot.

Lucent

So is it normal for it to take a good 5-10 minutes for the initial load when loading up a save? After that it's good like if you die you come back to life in like 5 seconds. Just seems strange coming from the guys who made an open world series with no load times. Uncharted 3 I think took awhile to load but this is even crazier. Part of the reason why I played for long stretches of time after loading.

This game has been weird for me.

I normally push through story mode in a day, 2 tops. Ive been playing this since Friday and i am content. The tense nature of the game and great story and emotional impact of the characters makes me NEED to take breaks and only makes me even more excited to jump back in. I cant figure out if its because how tense it gets and freaks me out, or if its because i dont want it to end.

Just got to winter earlier tonight. MY GOD.

Angst

So is it normal for it to take a good 5-10 minutes for the initial load when loading up a save? After that it's good like if you die you come back to life in like 5 seconds. Just seems strange coming from the guys who made an open world series with no load times. Uncharted 3 I think took awhile to load but this is even crazier. Part of the reason why I played for long stretches of time after loading.

Some people have reported long load times. I think having the PSN download instead of disc mitigates the issue as my load is 10-15 seconds.

I normally push through story mode in a day, 2 tops. Ive been playing this since Friday and i am content. The tense nature of the game and great story and emotional impact of the characters makes me NEED to take breaks and only makes me even more excited to jump back in. I cant figure out if its because how tense it gets and freaks me out, or if its because i dont want it to end.

My experience was pretty similar. I guess I took extended breaks just because the tension was reminding me to not play for hours non-stop. I usually find it hard to stop if a game enthrals me.

Up to new game + and survivor.

Lucent

Some people have reported long load times. I think having the PSN download instead of disc mitigates the issue as my load is 10-15 seconds.

Not sure why they didn't included an install option then. It's really the only problem I have with the game.

KingK

Just beat the game. 20 hours and 2 minutes. Holy fucking shit. I played from Winter to the end, and holy shit. Some of the stuff this game does i don't even...(Winter)
the fight with David and then the attempted rape...Followed by the machete to the face again and again. I was stunned at how dark this whole section was.

And that ending. I'm still thinking about it.

Definitely my GOTY. Almost certainly my GOTG, and quite possibly my favorite game ever. Every single facet of the game feels handcrafted to perfection. And it feels like the game was given total creative freedom along with a massive budget, because some of the stuff in this game seems like it would normally never be able to find its way into a high budget blockbuster game.

I'd hope Naughty Dog has earned the right to continue to do whatever the fuck they want by Sony. Hope the game is selling well too because ND deserves it for this.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Spoilers for late game.

I just got to Winter, met the two guys who wanted to trade. Stopped there. How much more do I have left?

I ask as my PS3 is struggling to read disks now and I have no idea how much life this thing has left. Just hoping to at least beat the game before it croaks.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

I'm on the same boat. I have to take a break after a session, but can't wait to get back and play.

Experiencing this game with headphones is amazing, especially with Dolby headphone. After clearing out a tense section and looking over my shoulder due to paranoia, I felt a cool breeze under my pits and noticed I was sweating lol.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I hate to be the one constantly quoting himself but I need answers to these two questions...

- Whoa, WHOA, Survivor unlocks even on EASY?!

- The difficulty doesn't affect enemy count and enemies' health and/or weapons' effectiveness though, only no. supplies, correct?

Spoilers for late game.

I just got to Winter, met the two guys who wanted to trade. Stopped there. How much more do I have left?

I ask as my PS3 is struggling to read disks now and I have no idea how much life this thing has left. Just hoping to at least beat the game before it croaks.

A good 4-6 hours maybe, depending on your speed.

Squire

Banned

It's almost episodic in the way that each season starts as normal and rumps up to this big conclusion. It always ends with a big meaningful moment, but they're not set-pieces. They're not exciting at all. They're heavy.

I just hit Spring, so I guess I'm finishing it tomorrow night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just beat the game. 20 hours and 2 minutes. Holy fucking shit. I played from Winter to the end, and holy shit.
I did the same, 15 hours and 27 minutes, hard with listen mode off after reaching the hotel.

I agree with lots of the other stuff you said too.

kurbaan

Banned
Finished it.
I was wrong.

Ending was hyped up too much here. And actually after i finished the game and let it sink in I really thought back to MGS3 and how the ending could
have learned from that game. Like when i am escaping with Ellie basically you just stop controlling at the elevator but I think they should have let us choose to shoot Marlene... maybe even let her live or just give a bit more control at the point
also goes to show how amazing MGS3 was.

Actually i think since releases of MGS3 and MGS4 this is probably the best game that has come out.

DatDude

Banned
Ending was hyped up too much here. And actually after i finished the game and let it sink in I really thought back to MGS3 and how the ending could
have learned from that game. Like when i am escaping with Ellie basically you just stop controlling at the elevator but I think they should have let us choose to shoot Marlene... maybe even let her live or just give a bit more control at the point

Actually i think since releases of MGS3 and MGS4 this is probably the best game that has come out.

Different strokes for different folks. I liked the ending, because it doesn't do what most AAA games, and most hollywood films like to do
happy go lucky endings, or just straight sad endings. This ending gives you something to digest and think about. A grey ending, that's just the perfect shade

kurbaan

Banned
Different strokes for different folks. I liked the ending, because it doesn't do what most AAA games, and most hollywood films like to do
happy go lucky endings, or just straight sad endings. This ending gives you something to digest and think about. A grey ending, that's just the perfect shade

I don't have a problem with the content of the ending I just think it could have been more interactive.

UrbanRats

Just finished it (HARD with no Listen Mode, was a fair challenge all through out, never encountered a frustrating moment, Uncharted style).

Great game on basically all fronts, i can even forgive the hilarious results from making the side characters invisible to the AI (it would've been a nightmare otherwise).
One thing i hated was how Ellie was the only decent companion, in combat.
She can slash throats and shoot people, but folks like
Tommy
are brain-dead morons.

Anyway, this is the best game Naughty Dog has ever made by a country mile, under any department:

Graphics; sound; gameplay; story; acting; whatever.
The real depressing thought is thinking they'll have to go back to Uncharted on PS4, please God make it stop!

Also goddamn, was the
Winter chapter
intense.

Also, my time was 20 hours or so, didn't check.

DatDude

Banned
I don't have a problem with the content of the ending I just think it could have been more interactive.

That's stupid imo.

What's the point of making something interactive if the result is still going to be the same? I can understand if this game had branching narratives, and gave you a choice, but it doesn't.

So it's all irrelevant imo in the end.

I love the Metal Gear Series.

But saying any game from the Metal Gear series (even MGS3) is better in terms of story (plot, ending, etc) to this game is just plain wrong. So, so wrong.

KingK

I did the same, 15 hours and 27 minutes, hard with listen mode off after reaching the hotel.

I agree with lots of the other stuff you said too.

Yeah I also played on hard without listen mode.

I really love how many details there are about the world in the levels themselves, through writing on walls, scenery and objects, and collectible notes.
The whole story with Ish and all the clues in the sewer that gradually show you what happened was great. I was almost expecting to meet up with him in the game with how fleshed out his story was.

iLLmAtlc

Credits are rolling now for the first time... Man what an amazing experience and emotional rollercoaster. This is easily one of the best games this gen, just a beautifally paced story.

Sorry if this has inevitably been asked already, but I want to go into this game as blind as possible.

Is it recommended I turn off Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Listen Mode, Melee Prompts, and Show Tag Popups if I'm not a braindead monkey? I intend to start on Hard like I do for pretty much every game. I just want to get the best experience possible.

dreamfall

I just finished my Normal playthrough at 20 hours, 21 minutes.

Blown away- loved nearly every moment of it!

The ending was pretty perfect. Like how far would you go to save someone you developed this relationship with? Would you lie to them about what happened?

Top Bottom