• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Footos22

My problems even worse. Can't even load my save not even from the cloud. Sound cuts out on load and then crashes my ps3. 13 hours down the pan. Thanks naughty dog.

Edit: somehow managed to get chapter select to show up and have managed to load the section before. But this is the most boring section in the whole game so far
Ughh

Hrmphhh, it's so hard not to look at reviews. But that one gave it a 6/10. And states you don't even play it, but it's just a movie that you push the stick forward.

I don't. I just. I can't. I don't get that. How. HOW! I think there was literally 1-2 moments like that in a 15 hour game. I ... I ... hmmrpph.

Nevermind. *flips table*

Animal

Banned
Agree almost 100%

Did you play with listen mode on? I played hard with it On for first play through, but I am replaying on survivor now. I have to say I wish I had listen mode off the first time through.

It doesn't ruin the game or anything, still an amazing game. But so much more comes to life with listen mode off.

I find myself scanning the environment all the time.
I actually occasionally get saved by Ellie verbally pointing out threats.
I actually have guys sneak up on me.

Its great. I would 100% recommend turning off listen mode for a better experience.

I had listen mode on and half way through the game I realized I would be enjoying the experience much more with it off.

I never replay single player games but I have to admit that after the credits had finished rolling and I was idle at the start screen I felt a strong urge to start a new game . If I do end up replaying the SP I will definitely play with listen mode off.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Just started the game. Having major problems :/ Prologue was all buggy and when I got in the car with Tommy the sound cut out and Joel and Tommy were floating out of the car.

Now the ps3 isn't loading the game at all. It was a bad idea getting this.

RS4-

Sometimes its necessary to remove the threat of the downed enemy drawing a teammate who would then kill both of you while you were being revived

Yeah, I agree with this. Sometimes you just have to assess the situation, map awareness with listen mode to see if someone is running to play medic; but communication does help, especially if the downed person can let you know if enemies are coming around as you're reviving.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sometimes its necessary to remove the threat of the downed enemy drawing a teammate who would then kill both of you while you were being revived

I don't mind if they kill them by shooting them for something like that, but the execute animation itself leaves them vulnerable too. It also shows anyone on their team that the execution is happening as you can see the silhouette across the map.

It drives me mad...

Though people stealing my executes after i revive them is equally annoying!

THIS is hilarious to me too. Buncha dicks.

I basically mash triangle after I revive someone to avoid that now.

It drives me mad...

Though people stealing my executes after i revive them is equally annoying!

The Missions force you to play it in an unnatural way, and they're not balanced between the two game modes as far as I can tell.

eg. If your team is too good, you won;t get many revives. If the wrong maps come up, you won't get the long distance downs. If your team is too good in Survivors, there are only 16 kills up for grabs, whereas there are 28+ available if the teams are equally skilled

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Missions force you to play it in an unnatural way, and they're not balanced between the two game modes as far as I can tell.

eg. If your team is too good, you won;t get many revives. If the wrong maps come up, you won't get the long distance downs. If your team is too good in Survivors, there are only 16 kills up for grabs, whereas there are 28+ available if the teams are equally skilled

Yeah, this is true. I also heard some people in the lobby outright say they need executions so they were going to steal everyone's kill.

RS4-

They should weigh the modes differently in terms of supplies earned AND take general team stats into the equation.

Because if you stomp a team, the lowest person on the winning side doesn't get much; then you're in the situation where you hope the matches extend into the later rounds.

edit - what happened to dat MP OT?

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I'm still really early on, but I haven't seen an encounter that's as dynamic as that E3 trailer from last year. Where Ellie is throwing molotovs and you're strangling a guy while he's yelling to his buddies. Does that ever happen or was that a bit of smoke and mirrors?

Pranay

NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS

Code:
:P

haha lol

Well was browsing through footy thread and their was discussion of tlou mp lol

it seems people really need a thread :lol

I dont care though but someone can start a thread its take 3 seconds to make one , just copy details from op and start adding ids and done

Cudder

I'm in week 3 in multiplayer and I'm just barely getting the required amounts of food for my colony, even when I play really well :\

How many items per match do you have to get when you get into the later weeks? How is it even possible?

mattp

started playing last night on normal with all the assists and listen mode or whatever turned off
about 2 hours in, a little after
you find robert and meet up with that chick from the fireflies and start following her
is it just me or is the game really easy? i havent used a single bullet yet. i just crouch around and strangle dudes or just run up to them and punch them til they die

Andrew.

Banned
started playing last night on normal with all the assists and listen mode or whatever turned off
about 2 hours in, a little after
you find robert and meet up with that chick from the fireflies and start following her
is it just me or is the game really easy? i havent used a single bullet yet. i just crouch around and strangle dudes or just run up to them and punch them til they die

Im sure some of it has to do with playing on Normal.

solarus

Hrmphhh, it's so hard not to look at reviews. But that one gave it a 6/10. And states you don't even play it, but it's just a movie that you push the stick forward.

I don't. I just. I can't. I don't get that. How. HOW! I think there was literally 1-2 moments like that in a 15 hour game. I ... I ... hmmrpph.

Nevermind. *flips table*
Reviewer trying to be edgy and stir shit up. That sounds more like a descriptor for the walking dead (no offence to that game). If the last of us isn't a game then fuck, what is? Game is so incredible so far, could end up being in my top ten of all time.

Dragon

Banned
gah, should i restart on hard? i pretty much went on media blackout and haven't followed anything about the game. is normal that easy?

If you're going to play on normal you better turn listen mode off. I've been following this guy on youtube and he's on normal with listen mode on and he's just shooting everything. It's ridiculous.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh okay good. You're a survivor. Now hit that options menu. The challenge doesn't really kick in for another couple of hours anyway ;)

bitoriginal

Just completed it. Despite my early niggles, I feel the game actually lived up to the hype. Absolutely amazing game, and bravo to Naughty Dog for the story. Mature and compelling characters in a wonderfully fleshed out world. It was refreshing to see a computer game with such great narrative and pacing as well as fun gunplay and survival mechanics. The gameplay wasn't very innovative but what it did, it did very well.

Nevermind. *flips table*

It's a Chick review, let it go. The game still has a 95 on MC and might even move up to 96.

Just going to leave it out here.

I made these GIFs from the Technical Analysis video of Digital Foundry. It really shows how beautiful and impressive the Lighting system is in the game.

iLfbKcRCBscSW.gif

ipS8WsOhHjHR0.gif

i02avTWzRfJdG.gif

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Joel - Will Smith
Ellie - Willow Smith
Tess - Jada Pinkett Smith
Bill - Adam Sandler
Henry - Will Smith
Sam - Jayden Smith

Koralsky

I just finished SP on hard mode. I don't have a full review yet as I am writing this as the credits scroll. I'm just writing what I'm currently thinking at this moment. It will take days even weeks for me to completely digest this experience.

Oh. My. God.

Naughty Dog what have you done? I have never seen such flawless execution by any game studio ever. The dialog is flawless. The environment design is breathtaking. The character design is flawless. The sound effects are very detailed and high quality though sometimes their volume was a bit loud given the context. The music is perfect.

This game is a very important moment in the history of gaming I believe. So much emotional complexity and attachment is woven into every layer of the game from sights to sounds. Everything in this game is dripping with atmosphere and tension.

I am gushing over this game and I haven't even tried MP yet.

Mark my words people: This game will get Hollywood's attention like no game before it. This game is an artistic masterpiece.

To the folks at Naughty Dog, Thank you. Thank you for your passion and effort put into this game. I will never forget it.

Stats: Hard mode, 650 kills, 47 deaths, 24h56m playtime.

Thanks for he opinion, mate. I used to finish the game a good 10 days before release, but my opinion is almost the same. The most important gaming peace of software in the last 20 years. My review was for the one of the biggest news sites in Bulgaria. Second biggest in the country actually.

I really hope the game sells well enough, so we can receive more titles like ND masterpiece.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I finished it two days ago. Incredible experience. I'll never forget it.

But I did run into too many glitches in my Hard playthrough.

Trying to jump down from two pieces of cover while you are crouching, Joel goes into the forever falling animation with his hands up in the air and dies.
Happened during the college campus area a lot...

NPC's not going anywhere and remaining in one place, causing events not to trigger. For example:

When you go with Tommy to search for Ellie in the house, Tommy stayed outside the house for the whole time. When I entered the house, Ellie didn't say anything nor did Joel. I spent like twenty minutes going through the house with nothing being triggered. I couldn't even access the "opened" door where Ellie was because nothing would happen. Eventually, after twenty minutes the game froze on me making my PS3 reset. When I reloaded the checkpoint, Tommy actually went inside this time and Joel screamed Ellie's name and she replied back. The door that wouldn't trigger the first time triggered now...

Accessing certain areas would make Joel go through furniture or objects. Shit like that. I didn't have any problems with UC2 or UC3 that much.

I think my PS3 froze like four times playing the SP. My playthrough was 26 hours, I believe. With 124 collectibles.

Woohoo...50% in 8 hours on Survivor, an hour longer than my Hard playthrough so far

Got 3 revolver rounds, 2 rifle rounds, 3 shotgun rounds, a Molotov

Not enough materials to craft anything

And I'm loving it

Played a hour and a half and was a little weirded out I havent got a trophy yet.

Checked the trophy list and there are no "collect 10-20-30" "use gun X-Y-Z number of times" and no story trophies unlike Uncharted which has gotten a bit silly with those things.

Good job ND.

Top Bottom