• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Mark my words people: This game will get Hollywood's attention like no game before it. This game is an artistic masterpiece.

I'm sure it will, not sure if that's a good thing though. Dan Trachtenberg tweeted this this other day:

Dan Trachtenberg ‏@DannyTRS

Just finished The Last of Us. I'm overwhelmed. Such a complicated and layered experience. More powerful than any movie of the genre.

solarus

This is the best looking console game this, gen hands down. The detail, art design and lighting are just draw-jopping, i cant believe people were bitching over the visuals in other threads, it's different seeing stills on your monitor compared to playing it on a big hd tv, I'm a PC gamer and this game just looks incredible,

DatDude

Banned
"the genre" being? I don't understand why people need such hyperbole anyway, the game is great, the story is good, isn't that enough to go on?

is it really hyperbole though?

say what you want about the last of us, but i truly think that this game will be remembered just as fondly as Resident Evil 4, or Ico was remembered of the ps2 days.

Is the last of us perfect? No. But what it does is transcends the medium in many positive directions and that's all you can really ask for.

Hrmphhh, it's so hard not to look at reviews. But that one gave it a 6/10. And states you don't even play it, but it's just a movie that you push the stick forward.

I don't. I just. I can't. I don't get that. How. HOW! I think there was literally 1-2 moments like that in a 15 hour game. I ... I ... hmmrpph.

Nevermind. *flips table*

Chick's reviews are as a rule very different from the type you'd find in a mainstream site or publication. It's always about strictly about his interaction with the game, not an (at least in the ones I've read) extrapolation on how the game will be received by the regular consumer. If you read his other reviews, you can see that he has some extremely specific ideas about how games should be made in order to 'work' - and here, he really thinks the combat and the very forgiving save system undercut the otherwise excellent setting, story and characters.

zethren

Banned
"the genre" being? I don't understand why people need such hyperbole anyway, the game is great, the story is good, isn't that enough to go on?

Zombie survival, most likely.

But I'm getting serious Children of Men vibes from this game.

I'm 50% through it and I'd say its the best character study of any game I've ever played.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chick's reviews are as a rule very different from the type you'd find in a mainstream site or publication. It's always about strictly about his interaction with the game, not an (at least in the ones I've read) extrapolation on how the game will be received by the regular consumer. If you read his other reviews, you can see that he has some extremely specific ideas about how games should be made in order to 'work' - and here, he really thinks the combat and the very forgiving save system undercut the otherwise excellent setting, story and characters.
The very forgiving checkpoinst do throw you a bone even on Hard sometimes, but it is a legitimately challenging (and long) game regardless. The combat is stellar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, just beat it. 100% at 14 hours 35 minutes on hard with no listen mode.

Random stats:

41 deaths, 221 melee kills, 79% accuracy with 599 shots fired.

I'll let it sink in a bit and make a giant post about my thoughts, but overall this game is amazing. ND's finest work for sure.

D23

i feel like i am nearing the end...

im at the part when
ellie just got kidnapped, and joel has woken up from his injury

how many hours left??

i really dont want this to end

Lima

Can anyone point me to that doc from the season pass on youtube? I will not even play the MP once and only buy the SP content and it looks like there is no other way to watch it yet.

antitrop

It ends now.

Starting my 82% playthrough and absolutely not stopping until those credits are rolling, I have taken care of all my responsibilities for the day and now it is game time.

Soma

Beat the game last night at around 16 hours total. After the
Fall
arc ended I needed to see this game to the end. Some absolutely powerful moments in the second half of this game. It definitely could have benefited from a little more time to iron out some of the glitches but there's really so much that this game has to offer that more than makes up for it. By far some of the most impressive dialogue and voice acting I've seen in a video game. I really did become attached to these characters and the ending is something that I still can't stop thinking about.

So far it's looking to be my GOTY.

ThisOne

Damn, just beat it. 100% at 14 hours 35 minutes on hard with no listen mode.

Random stats:

41 deaths, 221 melee kills, 79% accuracy with 599 shots fired.

I'll let it sink in a bit and make a giant post about my thoughts, but overall this game is amazing. ND's finest work for sure.

Only 41 deaths? I think I had like 115 at the end of my Hard playthrough :lol

it's actually better on a second playthrough believe it or not.
I do miss not being able to experience the narrative for the first time again, but now I feel like I can take my time more and am seeing little details that I missed that are relevant to the overall story

For example (only if you've finished):
1)
You can actually see Ellie pick up the toy robot in the toy shop after the cutscene.
2)
After the truck crash in Pittsburg, you're on the road and you find the dead bodies. Joel's line about the needs of the few and needs of the many is actually nice foreshadowing of his decisions at the end.

When you go with Tommy to search for Ellie in the house, Tommy stayed outside the house for the whole time. When I entered the house, Ellie didn't say anything nor did Joel. I spent like twenty minutes going through the house with nothing being triggered. I couldn't even access the "opened" door where Ellie was because nothing would happen. Eventually, after twenty minutes the game froze on me making my PS3 reset. When I reloaded the checkpoint, Tommy actually went inside this time and Joel screamed Ellie's name and she replied back. The door that wouldn't trigger the first time triggered now...

That same thing happened during my playthrough.
I was like, "Seriously, what am I missing?" I ended up just resetting it from the last save.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Only 41 deaths? I think I had like 115 at the end of my Hard playthrough :lol

Haha, most of those were from 2 segments,
the first bloater and the winter scene where a bunch of infected attack ellie and david
. I didn't find the game very hard otherwise.

Tagline for this game should be "Bricks and Bottles".

With "and Bottles" crossed out because #TeamBrick.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm really curious to hear other developers' thoughts on this game. Anyone have some select quotes from key industry people?

Lingxor

Thx you Naughty Dog for giving us the ability to toggle left/right shoulder aiming. It always seems completely insane to me when third person shooters don't have this.

I also don't get the complaints about the stealth mechanics. There's a pretty distinct sound that swells up when you're in danger of being spotted. It seems completely functional and fair.

Lima

Thx you Naughty Dog for giving us the ability to toggle left/right shoulder aiming. It always seems completely insane to me when third person shooters don't have this.

That should have been on L3 though. Why does the left stick do nothing in this game?

Also kinda interesting how fitting this thread's subtitle is.

Dakota47

Checking in. Started the game tonight and got to where you
start smuggling Ellie out of the city
. I like what I have played so far. Interesting characters, well told story, I like the gameplay, and the atmosphere of the game is very well done. It's the gaming equivalent of a page turner.

. I like what I have played so far. Interesting characters, well told story, I like the gameplay, and the atmosphere of the game is very well done. It's the gaming equivalent of a page turner.
You ain't seen nothing yet

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you're so lucky. savor this

Sora_N

I played about 4 hours so far, man I honestly rarely run into glitches in games but I found an awful one when I was climbing a cliff. Joel was sliding up or down the cliff, I had to crouch to reset that. Other than that, enjoying the game so far. Can't wait to play some more when I have more time after my exams.

Lingxor

I know, I know, but you specially said left stick. Personally I can't stand when functions are mapped to L3 or R3

L3/R3 mappings leads to accidental pressings in my experience... L3 in particular. I'm just glad ND had the common sense to understand that right shoulder aiming while navigating left corners is DUMB.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That same thing happened during my playthrough.
I was like, "Seriously, what am I missing?" I ended up just resetting it from the last save.
Thank god I wasn't the only one, then. I was getting so mad because I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I must have searched the entire house like twenty times to see if something would trigger and went outside. Terrible terrible stuff.

vladdamad

4-5 hours in spoilers, currently in
Pittsburgh
Man this is starting to get really fun. Fighting humans is a really nice change of pace from fighting infected, it really is a whole different ballgame gameplay-wise imo. Also, Ellie's awesome, love the chats her and Joel had in the car on the way into the city. It was also fun seeing the context of that cut-scene that was shown way back as a trailer, with the Hunters trying to trick Joel and Ellie, and the car crash.

antitrop

I just reached Spring. Incredible. Speechless.

5096ec7aafa96f73b700539a.gif

Top Bottom