• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

i'm probably about to start the last third of the game (by my guess)
just hit the science building at the university
but i've literally never had more than 6 rounds of ammo for any of my guns

playing on hard with no listening mode

Ourobolus

Banned
I just reached the
University of Eastern Colorado
. I try to stealth as much as possible...but I'm still usually running low on ammo!

i'm probably about to start the last third of the game (by my guess)
just hit the science building at the university
but i've literally never had more than 6 rounds of ammo for any of my guns

playing on hard with no listening mode

Man, I was swimming in ammo during the second half of the game. I think the only time I was running low was during the
sniper fight, since I had just fought my way through the sewers

(Played on Hard, no Listen Mode).

Page 4 wut?

How on earth do you get good enough at the game to build your clan up to 120 people? I'm getting about 65 supplies per match

-Do you lose your customisation options when your clan is wiped out?
-Do you get the option of staying with your faction, with the faction switch takking the role of 'Prestige mode'?
-Do you keep your customisation options when you switch factions?
-How exactly are the parts doled out? (see image)

0BMBJ58.jpg

Neiteio

Yesterday I stopped playing where Joel
falls down a hotel elevator shaft
. I'm not sure if I'm in summer or spring. I don't think I've seen anything to suggest a season change yet. Does the game start in summer and go in order of the seasons from there?

By the way, the bit in the massive two-story building after
your car is ambushed and crashed
is AMAZING. Simply master-class design in 3D stealth gameplay. I love slowly creeping upstairs and around a corner, nailing a guy in the back with an arrow as he walks past the doorway. So many tense moments, yet the game telegraphs itself well and always feels fair -- a rarity in 3D games that attempt stealth.

antitrop

Yesterday I stopped playing where Joel
falls down a hotel elevator shaft
. I'm not sure if I'm in summer or spring. I don't think I've seen anything to suggest a season change yet. Does the game start in summer and go in order of the seasons from there?
That's still Summer. It goes
Summer -> Fall -> Winter -> Spring

Summer is 0-60%

Fall is 60-80%

Winter is 80%-unknown because I haven't gotten past it yet :p I'm assuming it ends at 90% and Spring will be 90-100%

Oh god this game was so good. Right now I'm in the emotional rush of just finishing it, so I don't want to make any rash decisions right now - but, fuck, I don't know, game of this gen?

I'm at 83%, almost 25 hours played.
I already loved the first half of the game, but Winter is just amazing. I was wondering all the time if Joel had survived or not until Ellie talked about needing medicines. I wouldn't have minded playing as her for the rest of the game though.

Right now I've taken control of Joel again after Ellie has been trapped by the cannibals. The narrative is moving faster in this second half... at this point I should be close to finishing the game but I don't want it to end :(

The flamethrower is a godsend against the bloater... you don't even need to spend much ammo on it, so there should be enough for the clickers as well in case you don't have any molotovs

I completely stealthed that section. I had so much flamethrower ammo after that, that i torched all the clickers and runners in the section before you get to the hospital.

Neiteio

That's still Summer. It goes
Summer -> Fall -> Winter -> Spring

Summer is 0-60%

Fall is 60-80%

Winter is 80%-unknown because I haven't gotten past it yet :p I'm assuming it ends at 90% and Spring will be 90-100%
Thanks antitrop. :) I am really impressed by this game -- it's just so COHESIVE. Everything works in perfect harmony. The deliberate weightiness of the sneaking controls, the sound logic of the game design (example: listening mode assumes sneaking mode; moving from one cover point to another keeps you sneaking; etc), it all adds up in to one immersive experience where literally the only flaw that I can see is the way your AI partner sometimes wanders in plain sight of an enemy (thankfully, though, the enemy doesn't react; it breaks immersion but at least it's not frustrating).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, I was swimming in ammo during the second half of the game. I think the only time I was running low was during the
sniper fight, since I had just fought my way through the sewers

(Played on Hard, no Listen Mode).

Same here, I did actually pretty much run dry at the same part. I don't really have an abundance where I can go crazy but I feel more than comfortable now and even at this part 90% in
where I saw a few runners in a small hallway, 2 bloaters in the open and a bunch of clickers roaming nearby, I wasn't worried and just killed them all.

Pranay

Thanks antitrop. :) I am really impressed by this game -- it's just so COHESIVE. Everything works in perfect harmony. The deliberate weightiness of the sneaking controls, the sound logic of the game design (example: listening mode assumes sneaking mode; moving from one cover point to another keeps you sneaking; etc), it all adds up in to one immersive experience where literally the only flaw that I can see is the way your AI partner sometimes wanders in plain sight of an enemy (thankfully, though, the enemy doesn't react; it breaks immersion but at least it's not frustrating).

You just stopped playin just before the best part of the game lol

You should go and play :p

Raoh

Love this game. Plan to play each and every game mode (easy, easy + normal, Normal +)

Played multiplayer for a few minutes this morning before work, has a great socom feel to it with the no respawn mode. I really do think ND's multiplayer team should take over the Socom franchise.

i-GLQjhhF-950x10000.jpg

(wasn't sure if that was posted here at all, heh)

LMFAO

Animal

Banned
I just finished SP on hard mode. I don't have a full review yet as I am writing this as the credits scroll. I'm just writing what I'm currently thinking at this moment. It will take days even weeks for me to completely digest this experience.

Oh. My. God.

Naughty Dog what have you done? I have never seen such flawless execution by any game studio ever. The dialog is flawless. The environment design is breathtaking. The character design is flawless. The sound effects are very detailed and high quality though sometimes their volume was a bit loud given the context. The music is perfect.

This game is a very important moment in the history of gaming I believe. So much emotional complexity and attachment is woven into every layer of the game from sights to sounds. Everything in this game is dripping with atmosphere and tension.

I am gushing over this game and I haven't even tried MP yet.

Mark my words people: This game will get Hollywood's attention like no game before it. This game is an artistic masterpiece.

To the folks at Naughty Dog, Thank you. Thank you for your passion and effort put into this game. I will never forget it.

Stats: Hard mode, 650 kills, 47 deaths, 24h56m playtime.

How do you kill Bloaters? I'm in the
school gym
and I've unloaded everything I have into it and still Joel gets his face ripped apart. I have a few shotgun shells and half a dozen regular gun bullets, oh and two arrows lol.

Been playing on hard, but tbh it's getting really tedious, I think I'm gonna drop it down easy just get it over with.

Jesus, that part in
the hotel basement
was even scarier the second time around.

First time round for me, the infected came at me from ground level - no problem I just ran upstairs and to the exit. Second time through THEY WERE BLOCKING MY ESCAPE ROUTE, including the
bloater.
D:

StuBurns

Banned
First time in the basement, there were already enemies in there, second time there were none until I started the generator, really strange.

Hixx

Page 4 wut?

How on earth do you get good enough at the game to build your clan up to 120 people? I'm getting about 65 supplies per match

-Do you lose your customisation options when your clan is wiped out?
-Do you get the option of staying with your faction, with the faction switch takking the role of 'Prestige mode'?
-Do you keep your customisation options when you switch factions?
-How exactly are the parts doled out? (see image)

- no
- I'd imagine you get to choose
- yes
- you get parts for doing everything. killing, looting, healing, crafting, gifting, reviving... healing gives shit loads of parts apparently.

My clan is like 106 atm. I need about 90 supplies per game, if you're struggling for the kills just farm parts to convert.

- no
- I'd imagine you get to choose
- yes
- you get parts for doing everything. killing, looting, healing, crafting, gifting, reviving... healing gives shit loads of parts apparently.

My clan is like 106 atm. I need about 90 supplies per game, if you're struggling for the kills just farm parts to convert.

When did your clan get wiped out? And how do you farm parts?

Ourobolus

Banned
school gym
and I've unloaded everything I have into it and still Joel gets his face ripped apart. I have a few shotgun shells and half a dozen regular gun bullets, oh and two arrows lol.

Been playing on hard, but tbh it's getting really tedious, I think I'm gonna drop it down easy just get it over with.

Let Bill do a lot of the work. Technically he can kill him, it'll just take awhile. If the Bloater goes after Bill, shoot it in the back with whatever you've got.

rexor0717

So I'm enjoying this game for everything but the gameplay really.it's odd because I've been a big fan of the uncharted series but the gameplay in this just isn't gripping me.I'll stay with it because I'm loving everything else. Maybe I'll put it on easy just so I can glide through.

school gym

If you have the supplies to make a fire and nail bomb he will drop like a fly.

Man playing this game online with randoms is so frustrating, not one asshole knows the definition of teamwork and play it COD style.

Lone rangers are infuriating. If 3 people go off, stay with them. If you go off on your own and nobody follows, go back and rejoin.

4 together, or 2+2. Straying from the herd gets you nothing but a lonely death, and your teammates won;t even try to help you if you're Down on the other side of the map

Daniel Day Lewis as Joel
Whatever the new Ellen-Page girl is at the time as Ellie
Steve Buscemi as David
Josh Brolin was born to play Joel
And I could see Chloe Moretz as Ellie
Carrie Ann Moss as Tess
Zoe Saldana as Marlene
The actor who mo-capped Bill...as Bill
Jensen Ackles as Tommy

Mogwai

Just finished the game and wow. One word: Masterpiece. It's definitely the best post-apocalyptic game I've ever played. The gameplay and STEALTH works out so great. I really liked how much effort there was put on moving silently. The Clickers and Bloaters were annoying at times. The one-hit kills were annoying, but upgrading shiv-master helped somehow. The crafting system was very well implemented. Easy to use and crafting on-the-go was pretty cool. The handling felt quite heavy, but when Joel had to move his old arse, he was actually quite mobile.

Don't get me started on the emotional depth. Naughty Dog just has a thing with cutscenes. They are not overly long but still very powerful and moving. I'm impressed over how ND has made the diametrical game to Uncharted. The cohesiveness of TLOU by not switching scenery every hour was sure a nice change. It really felt like a journey.

All in all, my GOTY of 2013 so far. It definitely beats my previous contender which was BioShock Infinite.

And about that first half of the WINTER sequence... I felt sorry for Ubisoft.

Lone rangers are infuriating. If 3 people go off, stay with them. If you go off on your own and nobody follows, go back and rejoin.

4 together, or 2+2. Straying from the herd gets you nothing but a lonely death, and your teammates won;t even try to help you if you're Down on the other side of the map

I had two instances in the same match where I was downed next to a team mate and there was no enemies around but the guy decides to just let me die even thought I had quite a while to bleed
out.
They also decided to put me in the last round of a survivors so I got about -67 parts and people are hungry and sick.

vladdamad

Just finished the
school part with Bill
, holy cow that was tense. Everything from
the church
onwards was just really emotionally draining, I might need to take a break. Still not feeling the characters yet, but I'm sure this will change once the pair
gets some alone time, without Tess, and Bill I assume? Not sure if he will go with them in the car yet

Leeness

First time round for me, the infected came at me from ground level - no problem I just ran upstairs and to the exit. Second time through THEY WERE BLOCKING MY ESCAPE ROUTE, including the
bloater.
D:

Pretty much the same for me. I knew to grab the card first and then hightail it to the door, and I was running for the door and I looked in the clear and then the
bloater LEAPT OUT from behind the corner and immediately had me and was tearing my face off and I screamed so loud hahaha.

:D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just finished the
school part with Bill
, holy cow that was tense. Everything from
the church
onwards was just really emotionally draining, I might need to take a break. Still not feeling the characters yet, but I'm sure this will change once the pair
gets some alone time, without Tess, and Bill I assume? Not sure if he will go with them in the car yet
Oh man just keep playing.

I had two instances in the same match where I was downed next to a team mate and there was no enemies around but the guy decides to just let me die even thought I had quite a while to bleed
out.
They also decided to put me in the last round of a survivors so I got about -67 parts and people are hungry and sick.

I've had the same thing with people ignoring the clear Triangle prompt, instead fannying about making a health kit for themselves.

Also, they really should make it so that if you enter a game after the start, it doesn;t negatively effect your Supplies and Missions

The body armour could do witha good nerfing as well

I just finished SP on hard mode. I don't have a full review yet as I am writing this as the credits scroll. I'm just writing what I'm currently thinking at this moment. It will take days even weeks for me to completely digest this experience.

Oh. My. God.

Naughty Dog what have you done? I have never seen such flawless execution by any game studio ever. The dialog is flawless. The environment design is breathtaking. The character design is flawless. The sound effects are very detailed and high quality though sometimes their volume was a bit loud given the context. The music is perfect.

This game is a very important moment in the history of gaming I believe. So much emotional complexity and attachment is woven into every layer of the game from sights to sounds. Everything in this game is dripping with atmosphere and tension.

I am gushing over this game and I haven't even tried MP yet.

Mark my words people: This game will get Hollywood's attention like no game before it. This game is an artistic masterpiece.

To the folks at Naughty Dog, Thank you. Thank you for your passion and effort put into this game. I will never forget it.

Stats: Hard mode, 650 kills, 47 deaths, 24h56m playtime.

Agree almost 100%

Did you play with listen mode on? I played hard with it On for first play through, but I am replaying on survivor now. I have to say I wish I had listen mode off the first time through.

It doesn't ruin the game or anything, still an amazing game. But so much more comes to life with listen mode off.

I find myself scanning the environment all the time.
I actually occasionally get saved by Ellie verbally pointing out threats.
I actually have guys sneak up on me.

Its great. I would 100% recommend turning off listen mode for a better experience.

Top Bottom