• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

There was a part in the E3 demo that I forgot about, where Joel gets jumped by a guy and held on the ground. Then Ellie comes up behind and stabs the guy in the back so you can get up and hold the gun to his head (blowing his head off).

I know you can hold a gun to a guys head when you get him on the ground, but is there anything like that with Ellie? The most she did on my playthrough outside a cinematic was throw a brick and shot a few guys.

There was a part in the E3 demo that I forgot about, where Joel gets jumped by a guy and held on the ground. Then Ellie comes up behind and stabs the guy in the back so you can get up and hold the gun to his head (blowing his head off).

I know you can hold a gun to a guys head when you get him on the ground, but is there anything like that with Ellie? The most she did on my playthrough outside a cinematic was throw a brick and shot a few guys.

She stabbed a guy in the back for me once

But I'm guessing she helps more on easier difficulty levels

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Yeah she'll scream get off of him and start stabbing guys in the back.

Leeness

I had to quit for the night, the part I was at was driving me crazy, I was ready to throw my controller at the TV.

I'll come back tomorrow when I'm less angry. :(

Yeah she'll scream get off of him and start stabbing guys in the back.

Whaattt so that's in it? Damn. Any examples of this from videos?

Also I still want to see someone try and replicate the E3 demo as close as they can. Any instance of trying to shoot with no bullets and the guys picking up on that? I had it happen once, I thought I had bullets aimed at a guys head and CLICK. Then he shouted, "He's out of ammo!" but I just switched guns and shot him so I nothing really happened...

This is the part I'm talking about:
http://youtu.be/8ZYkj0glnqs?t=6m34s

It probably never happens 1:1. I've never seen a gun grapple either.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Oh man, beat it. My PS3's disk drive is still hacking up a lung, I wasn't positive it was even gonna last. Feel like I just scrapped by here.
itNqrLqebXS9p.png

Anyway, very happy with the game. Not sure where it'll rank on my GOTY list when we vote, but it should land somewhere in my top ten. Took me 20 hours and four minutes (hard, that sight or w/e shit turned off), by the way, and while it did get a little too human enemy-heavy in the second half for my taste, I was still really impressed with the pacing. Can't remember a 20 hour game that held up like that, which might be the best compliment I can give.

Off to the spoiler thread.

UrbanRats

So because its in a game it is supposed to feel new and fresh? Just because its a game does not mean I grant it special privileges on the story.

Not necessarily games but in all mediums as I said above. The formula is particularly used in kids movies.

Hey man, i'm totally fine with you not liking the game, but the game is definitely pushing gaming's storytelling, with a level of subtlety rarely seen on such a blockbuster level project.

This level of production quality, matched with this level of acting, writing and general storytelling, i've never seen in a videogame before.

The fact that the story revolves around a known narrative structure (two characters and their developing arc on a physical and psychological journey) doesn't really qualify it as either good or bad, it's just a template that it's used because it works.
What qualifies it as a good story, it's the good writing, the good storytelling, the good acting and so forth.

Dennis

Banned
My impressions so far.

Narratively, graphically, VA and overall production values this is the greatest console game of all time. ALL TIME.

The gameplay, however, while good, is not the best ever.

My impressions so far.

Narratively, graphically, VA and overall production values this is the greatest console game of all time. ALL TIME.

I dunno, I can't think of a third person shooter I like more mechanically. The limited bullets, the actual feel of the weapons and the blend of stealth, tactics and scavenging just made for a really rich and compelling gameplay experience for me.

UrbanRats

My impressions so far.

The gameplay isn't anything groundbreaking, but i think it's the best thing ND has ever done, and it gets really fun at higher difficulties (and with no stupid listen mode), when you have to get really creative.
Too bad there are a couple of AI blunders too many, but all in all, i'm impressed with the enemy AI, considering i can't think of a single stealth game where the enemies' patrols do not look dumb.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You can actually, there's a trick to doing it.

As soon as you finish your first game, start a new game plus on whatever difficulty, complete the first chapter, then quit to main menu and go to chapter select, select the first chapter and select Survivor for difficulty and the game will consider it a new game plus on Survivor.

With this method, only two play throughs are required for all the difficulty trophies.

So doing this trick all your upgrades & collectibles carry over to Survivor+?

Badgerst3

Best flashlight ever.

Tied as one of the 3 best games of the generation for me (demons souls, red dead redemption and this).

Such amazing character development, writing, gameplay and graphics. In awe.

Guess as I get older I am a sucker for deep, immersive, intelligent single player games. Tomb raider also comes to mind.

Any game that I think about when I am away from it= amazing.

The gameplay isn't anything groundbreaking, but i think it's the best thing ND has ever done, and it gets really fun at higher difficulties (and with no stupid listen mode), when you have to get really creative.
Too bad there are a couple of AI blunders too many, but all in all, i'm impressed with the enemy AI, considering i can't think of a single stealth game where the enemies' patrols do not look dumb.

I found the AI to be great, a stealth game needs to find that right element between predictability and surprise and I think they nailed it. I could sort of map out patrol routes, but it was never too obvious. When in engaged in combat the enemies were great, always felt they were a real threat and still maintained that real human feeling they were aiming for

Playing with good headphones or a good surround system and really listening for where the enemies are was extremely rewarding.

Superflat

I thought when the enemy and ally AI worked flawlessly, it was pretty much unmatched in the genre-- I haven't seen it work as well (or even close, honestly) in any game I remember anyway, so I would say that was some broken ground right there. The few bugs it has are pretty glaring when they pop up though.

What bugs did people experience? The only bug I experienced was the very last fight one of the enemies kept running back and forth between bits of cover

I'm confused as to what part of the game is particularly difficult. I just finished it saving my flamethrower for when I really needed it(along with plenty of ammo) and the game ended before I even got to use it LMAO
I did however, play EXTREMELY carefully, made sure every shot was a headshot and stealth killed everyone whenever I could.

UrbanRats

I agree when it comes to the enemies, the can be pretty sneaky bastards.

Companions though? Aside from Ellie (she's pretty damn good and helpful) they were kind of terrible in my playthrough, peaking with
Tommy, who must've shot a maximum of 3 bullets during the whole fight in the woods + cabin, against the hunters.. meanwhile i was getting shot left and right.
He would just run around doing nothing.

And, i admit just for kicks, i stayed back during
the Bandit's invasion of the electric plant, seeing the two factions fight was hilarious.
People standing 4 feet from each other, shooting and missing 70% of the time, worse than the Stormtroopers, from Star Wars.

TripOpt55

I am about halfway through my Survivor playthrough. At first I was playing a little scared. Trying to stealth by stuff and save as much of my stuff as possible, but now I'm much more comfortable. Killing a lot more. Not afraid to use ammo here and there. A lot of melee though. I didn't think i cared for Survivor at first, but now I've found a groove. A couple parts coming up kind of frighten me though! They are going to kick my ass.

Leeness

Since I mostly just waaaahed my frustration here, just wanted to talk about bits beforehand.

Spoilers from 60-80%:

Fall stuff.

Sneaking in the dorms of the university with the bloater roaming around had me so on edge, my throat was dry by the end.

I screamed when Joel fell. :( Goddamnit Joel. ;_;

Winter stuff.

Playing as Ellie is really hard for me. With Joel,
I can usually break away if I get spotted but Ellie is much more fragile (unsurprisingly I guess) and I keep getting my ass kicked. So it's frustrating.

I died so many times in the area with David. :/ Finally made it out.

Ellie curling up next to Joel was :'(

And now I'm stuck after falling off my horse (RIP Callus ;_;) at the beach area and I got super frustrated and turned it off. I was trying to get through there for like an hour and just couldn't do it :/

tl;dr: ~stories~

UrbanRats

Since I mostly just waaaahed my frustration here, just wanted to talk about bits beforehand.

Spoilers from 60-80%:

Fall stuff.

Sneaking in the dorms of the university with the bloater roaming around had me so on edge, my throat was dry by the end.

I screamed when Joel fell. :( Goddamnit Joel. ;_;

Winter stuff.

Playing as Ellie is really hard for me. With Joel,
I can usually break away if I get spotted but Ellie is much more fragile (unsurprisingly I guess) and I keep getting my ass kicked. So it's frustrating.

I died so many times in the area with David. :/ Finally made it out.

Ellie curling up next to Joel was :'(

And now I'm stuck after falling off my horse (RIP Callus ;_;) at the beach area and I got super frustrated and turned it off. I was trying to get through there for like an hour and just couldn't do it :/

tl;dr: ~stories~

Ellie is far better than Joel to use, imo.
Bricks + unlimited shivs, basically, and you're golden.
Just treat it like a stealth game, also her Bow skills are great.

Superflat

I died so many times when you're dealing with the onslaught of different infected classes + bloater with David in survival mode, guuuhhhhhhhhhhhggg.
I have a much harder time with bum-rushes than with stealth.

Black bars. Black bars everywhere.

almost done! i think.
just got the the hospital. and HOLY CRAP. did anyone else have a panic attack with the hiding and sneaking part with David? so good.

Zekes!

I think I enjoyed combating the human enemies a lot more than I did the Infected. By the end I would sigh to myself when I'd get to an Infected populated area. Though at the end
in the hospital, I found myself not enjoying that section very much, maybe because it was 1:30 AM and I just wanted to see the ending. Plus Winter was soooooooooooo good

Leeness

Yeah, I dunno, I'm just finding her really difficult to use because I generally do get spotted but Joel can get himself out of situations whereas Ellie is pretty much fucked.

I dunno, was just frustrated with stealthing tonight haha.

LGom09

Just finished it. What a fantastic game.
But, holy shit, the shootout in the hospital at the end was awful. I had to turn the difficulty down to normal and even then, it probably took 30 tries. If you're going to tell me a bullet to the face doesn't kill someone, at least give them a helmet or something.

I think I enjoyed combating the human enemies a lot more than I did the Infected. By the end I would sigh to myself when I'd get to an Infected populated area. Though at the end
in the hospital, I found myself not enjoying that section very much, maybe because it was 1:30 AM and I just wanted to see the ending. Plus Winter was soooooooooooo good

Ditto, I hated the infected.

Just finished it. What a fantastic game.
But, holy shit, the shootout in the hospital at the end was awful. I had to turn the difficulty down to normal and even then, it probably took 30 tries. If you're going to tell me a bullet to the face doesn't kill someone, at least give them a helmet or something.

flamethrower

Streaming my third playthrough on Survivor now if anyone feels the urge. I've pretty much mastered this game now though. So not sure how interesting it'll be. Enjoy(?) those that watch. Feel free to ask any questions. About 65% of the way through.

This game has been weird for me.

I normally push through story mode in a day, 2 tops. Ive been playing this since Friday and i am content. The tense nature of the game and great story and emotional impact of the characters makes me NEED to take breaks and only makes me even more excited to jump back in. I cant figure out if its because how tense it gets and freaks me out, or if its because i dont want it to end.

Just got to winter earlier tonight. MY GOD.

Yeah. I don't have a PS3 anymore, so I played this game in tandem with a friend who I've powered through most of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill games in one go on Day One many times. It was sort of a tradition that me and this guy would do that started in college with the first RE. We'd get the games on Day One, get a bunch of supplies, and just power through horror games.

This time, we had a little group of people spectating while we played, and ended up having to do it over the course of three nights because it was just too taxing. Even the spectators were emotionally exhausted after each session.

It was pretty incredible that everybody felt the same way. It was also amazing that every single spectator returned every night to watch, even though they weren't playing. We'd even offer to let them play, and they'd say "no, you're doing fine, we'll just watch."

For a first attempt at resource-dependent, story-driven survival-horror, Naughty Dog seem to have knocked it out of the park. I'd love to see them take on a crime thriller based on abduction and people-trafficing or a similar theme.

I don't feel that people mention enough the fact that TLoU isn't the peak of a gradual evolution, its the first attempt at a completely different game from those they've been making since their formation. It'd be like coming straight into the PS3 with Uncharted 2.

Naughty Gods indeed

UC3 was disappointing though, but I can accept that given the act they were tasked with following

I'm only 5 and a half hours in so far, but its magnificent as yet, apparently only gets better, and the MP is great as well.

Superflat

A very rough guide of my experience (I havent slept all night give me a break) Also the y axis is rating out of ten.

rudimentary17usa.png

Dayum, your first hours with the game were the best? I thought the first couple hours were a slog.

Thank goodness I played the game after the save glitch was fixed.

Dayum, your first hours with the game were the best? I thought the first couple hours were a slog.

Thank goodness I played the game after the save glitch was fixed.

I enjoyed the part in pittsburgh was it? American cities dont make much sense to me. through to winter after that I didn't like it. Its hard doing a graph on paint :p

If you're talking about the corridor with about 8-10 guys? I stealthed that entire section by going through the offices on the right. I only strangled the last two guys before going through the door.

SRTtoZ

Survivor difficulty is probably my most favorite difficulty so far. On normal I just had TOO much ammo and supplies on me at all times...I even had to make 3 of everything just so I could collect more shit. Now on survivor its an entire different ballgame, its not harder to shoot or anything like that but you dont find supplies often at all and you have to improvise and use stealth more. This game...

This effin game.

So doing this trick all your upgrades & collectibles carry over to Survivor+?

Yes, they should. It worked for me.

Some people have reported their stuff not carrying over, though... not sure why that would be.

I'd recommend not overwriting your previous save file when starting the new games (both times)

Survivor difficulty is probably my most favorite difficulty so far. On normal I just had TOO much ammo and supplies on me at all times...I even had to make 3 of everything just so I could collect more shit. Now on survivor its an entire different ballgame, its not harder to shoot or anything like that but you dont find supplies often at all and you have to improvise and use stealth more. This game...

This effin game.

I can't wait to do a mop up play through on normal or easy or something after I'm done with Survivor +. Survivor is so boring... no supplies... can't use anything... have to stealth or cheese every encounter. In Bill's town I pretty much kited ever runner around while Bill killed them so I wouldn't have to use ammo. Not fun.

Superflat

The only times when I didn't like fighting infected were times where there were just waves of them ambushing you with no stealth involved. On the other hand, times where I had to creep around them to shiv or bypass them completely were very satisfying. Especially in
the tunnels in Spring. Very satisfying to scout around and spot runners, take them down, and sneak through the rest.
I'd replace a couple human encounters with more of those kind of infected encounters in the game if I could.

SRTtoZ

Yes, they should. It worked for me.

Some people have reported their stuff not carrying over, though... not sure why that would be.

I'd recommend not overwriting your previous save file when starting the new games (both times)

I can't wait to do a mop up play through on normal or easy or something after I'm done with Survivor +. Survivor is so boring... no supplies... can't use anything... have to stealth or cheese every encounter. In Bill's town I pretty much kited ever runner around while Bill killed them so I wouldn't have to use ammo. Not fun.

Eh, see the thing is ive been waiting for a survival type game for a while so I was looking forward to not having many supplies and having to improvise. On easy/normal the game basically turns into a shooter because you get tons of ammo and you can make anything you want. I had molotovs coming out my ass hereeeee. I can understand that though, to each their own.

Also bricks. brick face smashing is pretty damn fun.

This thread is moving insanely fast, so I guess I'll try one more time. I don't want to be that guy that's constantly copying and pasting a post when he doesn't get an answer so it'll be the last time I ask here. Just looking for some advice.

Sorry if this has inevitably been asked already, but I want to go into this game as blind as possible.

Is it recommended I turn off Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Listen Mode, Melee Prompts, and Show Tag Popups if I'm not a braindead monkey? I intend to start on Hard like I do for pretty much every game. I just want to get the best experience possible.

SRTtoZ

This thread is moving insanely fast, so I guess I'll try one more time. I don't want to be that guy that's constantly copying and pasting a post when he doesn't get an answer so it'll be the last time I ask here. Just looking for some advice.

Sorry if this has inevitably been asked already, but I want to go into this game as blind as possible.

Is it recommended I turn off Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Listen Mode, Melee Prompts, and Show Tag Popups if I'm not a braindead monkey? I intend to start on Hard like I do for pretty much every game. I just want to get the best experience possible.

Yes.

Superflat

Eh, see the thing is ive been waiting for a survival type game for a while so I was looking forward to not having many supplies and having to improvise. On easy/normal the game basically turns into a shooter because you get tons of ammo and you can make anything you want. I had molotovs coming out my ass hereeeee. I can understand that though, to each their own.

Also bricks. brick face smashing is pretty damn fun.

I think I share StunandStab's sentiment as well; don't think I'm gonna play survival mode more than once. Hard is pitch-perfect, imo.
If I just want to experiment with a buncha shit and don't want to worry about ammo, normal is good for that.

I'm pretty curious to dabble in easy because it has an auto-aim toggle in the options that I don't think is in the other difficulty modes. God knows how that works. Never used Listening Mode yet either, might want to try playing that way to see if I actually hate it.

Top Bottom