• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

This thread is moving insanely fast, so I guess I'll try one more time. I don't want to be that guy that's constantly copying and pasting a post when he doesn't get an answer so it'll be the last time I ask here. Just looking for some advice.

Sorry if this has inevitably been asked already, but I want to go into this game as blind as possible.

Is it recommended I turn off Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Listen Mode, Melee Prompts, and Show Tag Popups if I'm not a braindead monkey? I intend to start on Hard like I do for pretty much every game. I just want to get the best experience possible.
My opinion: Definitely turn off Listen Mode, it takes the tension out of the combat/stealth sections completely. I'd also recommend turning off Game Hints because there isn't a single "puzzle" in the game that's a stumper, and also Show Tag Popups because that can get annoying and immersion-breaking (they're like built-in trophy notifications).

I personally didn't mind Melee Prompts and I'm not sure what Strategic Tips are at the moment, sorry hahah. You're probably safe turning everything off.

ldcommando

Banned
Winter really is the highlight of the game.
That sneaking part with the blizzard as ellie was amazing, snake would be so proud. Straight up metal gear solid.
It was my favorite part of the game.
I think I am in the last segment of the game, kinda sad it has to end. :(
I´m playing hard mode + no listen. Died so much. :)

My opinion: Definitely turn off Listen Mode, it takes the tension out of the combat/stealth sections completely. I'd also recommend turning off Game Hints because there isn't a single "puzzle" in the game that's a stumper, and also Show Tag Popups because that can get annoying and immersion-breaking (they're like built-in trophy notifications).

I personally didn't mind Melee Prompts and I'm not sure what Strategic Tips are at the moment, sorry hahah. You're probably safe turning everything off.

If you aren't familiar with the controls, you might not want to turn everything off. Menu tutorials are necessary because it is a little obtuse at first.

deim0s

Is it recommended I turn off Game Hints, Strategic Tips, Listen Mode, Melee Prompts, and Show Tag Popups if I'm not a braindead monkey? I intend to start on Hard like I do for pretty much every game. I just want to get the best experience possible.

Yes, start on Hard. Turn off what ever you like - turned off hints and tips. But supplies/item glints don't really show much as they're fewer than say normal difficulty.

Beaten like dead Callus.

This thread is moving insanely fast, so I guess I'll try one more time. I don't want to be that guy that's constantly copying and pasting a post when he doesn't get an answer so it'll be the last time I ask here. Just looking for some advice.

Sorry if this has inevitably been asked already, but I want to go into this game as blind as possible.

Yeah, turn off Game Hints, you'll never need them and they can be annoying.

Strategic Tips are just short little tips that appear on screen when you die, they're usually not very helpful unless you haven't been paying attention, but leaving them on definitely won't ruin the game and they're totally non-intrusive.

Listen Mode enables Joel to see the locations of infected in an area by listening for them. It's a pretty useful skill, definitely makes encounters with infected easier. Turn it off if you want a more survival horror experience. You're not allowed to use it on Survivor difficulty either.

Melee Prompts are just button prompts showing up on screen that tell you what you can do melee-wise at any given moment. It equates entirely to a triangle button showing up on screen when you are sneaking behind an enemy telling you that you can grab them, and once you've grabbed them it will show square for strangle and triangle for shiv. If want to get used to the controls I'd leave them on... they're forced off in Survivor difficulty as well. Though, if you have no problem remembering what buttons do what melee-wise in every context, and the buttons showing up on screen breaks the immersion for you, then go ahead and turn them off.

Tag Popups... I actually have no idea what those are. I've had them turned on the whole time... maybe someone else can help with that one.

LGom09

Just wondering, if this game had generic characters/story, do people still like it? I liked the scavenging/crafting mechanic, but the gameplay was pretty boring to me. 10/10 story, presentation, voicework, etc. 7/10 gameplay imo.

Just wondering, if this game had generic characters/story, do people still like it? I liked the scavenging/crafting mechanic, but the gameplay was pretty boring to me. 10/10 story, presentation, voicework, etc. 7/10 gameplay imo.
ND's gunplay has always been "alright" but running through the hallways and smashing a motherfucker with a giant 4x4 is SOOOOO SATISFYING.

So, yes.

One could ask for a little more depth/exploration/platforming here and there but it's a fabulous first entry, assuming they make more in any capacity.

Just wondering, if this game had generic characters/story, do people still like it? I liked the scavenging/crafting mechanic, but the gameplay was pretty boring to me. 10/10 story, presentation, voicework, etc. 7.5/10 gameplay imo.

This game could've been nothing but escalating combat rooms and I would've enjoyed it. Big, big step up from Uncharted for the most part. I have to wonder what those complaining about the gameplay were expecting, and am hard pressed to think of something better than this in the "shooter/melee action-adventure" (sub?) genre aside from RE4.

vladdamad

The gameplay, assuming it stays the same throughout the game, is an 8.5/10 from me. It's brutally intense, particularly with the clickers. I sometimes have to take breaks between the encounters, otherwise it gets too much for me. Choking an unsuspecting dude out is immensly satisfying

Toki767

It just depends on what kind of game you like playing. This game was so different than your standard zombie apocalypse game. It's not really made in a way that you're supposed to want to kill everyone in sight. It's more about surviving than killing.

Well congratulations Last of Us. I've lived in this apartment for over 3 years, never ANY complaints and I've played a TON of games while living here.

First complaint. Playing Last of Us too loud. They thought I was hammering something. My biggest fears realised... sigh... time to shop for headphones.

I just got to the
hotel basement
on survivor +... I really don't want to continue...

I picked up the
key card
and killed the five stalkers or whatever that spawn with my shotgun, but I know as soon as I
go start that motor, all hell is going to break loose
. Augh, I hate infected.

So who else is playing through Survivor mode and just dreading every encounter?

Me me me. lol, I just want it to be over. Let the nightmare end. I am in the
hotel basement
and have yet to use a health kit in the game aside from the first one that Tess gives you. I have 3 on hand. Maybe I'm playing it too safe but, I want these health kits to be around for when I reeeallly need them in Winter and Spring

I just got to the
hotel basement

I picked up the
key card
and killed the five stalkers or whatever that spawn with my shotgun, but I know as soon as I
. Augh, I hate infected.

I found it was best to just avoid everyone and run for the exit.... I've found that's the best way to deal with most encounters on survivor.

I found it was best to just avoid everyone and run for the exit.... I've found that's the best way to deal with most encounters on survivor.

Yeah, that's how I did it on Hard, too. I really only killed two bloaters in my entire play through.
The one in the high school and the one when you're playing as Ellie

LGom09

I just got to the
hotel basement

I picked up the
key card
. Augh, I hate infected.
At that part, I somehow managed to kill only a couple and then run around until I lost the rest. This was on hard though.
And the big guy (forget the name) almost got me at the door.

Hey if anyone has been playing Last of Us with the official Playstation Headphones:
PS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset.jpg

Let me know what you think... I want to just buy them right now for night-time gaming. Are you using the virtual surround? Do you set the menu audio to 5.1 in LOU? $70 on Amazon right now, worth it? Thanks for any help!

Angst

Strategic Tips are just short little tips that appear on screen when you die, they're usually not very helpful unless you haven't been paying attention, but leaving them on definitely won't ruin the game and they're totally non-intrusive.

So if I turn those off I should be able to restart after dying faster, right? Now I have to wait for the press x prompt to appear and it seems like it's delayed because of the strategic tip.

Fabrik

Banned

No without the characters, story and presentation, this game wouldn't be as praised. The gameplay is basically Manhunt and it wasn't as well reviewed.
But that's OK, the Last Of Us is first and foremost a game that should be played for its world, characters and story. One of the best in gaming.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, turn off Game Hints, you'll never need them and they can be annoying.

Listen Mode enables Joel to see the locations of infected in an area by listening for them. It's a pretty useful skill, definitely makes encounters with infected easier. Turn it off if you want a more survival horror experience. You're not allowed to use it on Survivor difficulty either.

Melee Prompts are just button prompts showing up on screen that tell you what you can do melee-wise at any given moment. It equates entirely to a triangle button showing up on screen when you are sneaking behind an enemy telling you that you can grab them, and once you've grabbed them it will show square for strangle and triangle for shiv. If want to get used to the controls I'd leave them on... they're forced off in Survivor difficulty as well. Though, if you have no problem remembering what buttons do what melee-wise in every context, and the buttons showing up on screen breaks the immersion for you, then go ahead and turn them off.

Tag Popups... I actually have no idea what those are. I've had them turned on the whole time... maybe someone else can help with that one.

I have no idea what tag popups are. I turned everything off and still get stuff showing up.

Hey if anyone has been playing Last of Us with the official Playstation Headphones:
PS3-Wireless-Stereo-Headset.jpg

Let me know what you think... I want to just buy them right now for night-time gaming. Are you using the virtual surround? Do you set the menu audio to 5.1 in LOU? $70 on Amazon right now, worth it? Thanks for any help!

I haven't used the PlayStation headphones personally, but quite a large number of people say it's very much worth the extra money to go for the Pulse Elite version

So if I turn those off I should be able to restart after dying faster, right? Now I have to wait for the press x prompt to appear and it seems like it's delayed because of the strategic tip.

Maybe. I haven't tried turning them off before. I've always thought the restart after dying was pretty fast already. Having to press X is no big deal for me.

Toki767

That was my strategy on my initial playthrough. Sneak for as long as you can. Once you get spotted, run straight for the exit. I feel like that's what a normal person would do in that situation anyways. Not kill as many people as they could.

Well congratulations Last of Us. I've lived in this apartment for over 3 years, never ANY complaints and I've played a TON of games while living here.

First complaint. Playing Last of Us too loud. They thought I was hammering something. My biggest fears realised... sigh... time to shop for headphones.

I notice they made gunshots really loud in this game. Probably on purpose, but very noticeable.

That was my strategy on my initial playthrough. Sneak for as long as you can. Once you get spotted, run straight for the exit. I feel like that's what a normal person would do in that situation anyways. Not kill as many people as they could.

What the hell.

So, I just turned my volume off (because I didn't want to hear the screams of the stalkers/bloater) and then
turned on the generator and then booked it to the door and there were NO infected the whole way there... on Hard that place was crawling with stalkers as I ran down the hallway, this time there was nothing o_O

Metal B

I just got to the
hotel basement

I picked up the
key card
. Augh, I hate infected.
Finished this part yesterday on hard and hated it. The game annoys me on so many levels. The two worst points about them are very visible in this segment: scripted elements and forced battles. You can clear the whole area and look at any spot for enemies, but one trigger can ruin your work. This kills exploring and stealth gameplay. Stealth it is about knowing your enemies beforehand and building a strategy. The way Last of Us handles this feels unfair all the time. You get the key card: random encounter our of nowhere. You start the motor: random encounter out of nowhere again. The first was especially bad, since it is the first time you meet the Stalkers and you have no idea how they work. I threw an bottle to distract them and they attacked me. I restart and get instantly attacked again!. I start the motor, hear the infected coming, try to hid and they instantly know where i am! Fuck you game!

I also hate, how enemies will spawn out of air, if you get detected. It's feels like cheating ... right know i don't like the game.

Finished this part yesterday on hard and hated it. The game annoys me on so many levels. The two worst points about them are very visible in this segment: scripted elements and forced battles. You can clear the whole area and look at any spot for enemies, but one trigger can ruin your work. This kills exploring and stealth gameplay. Stealth it is about knowing your enemies beforehand and building a strategy. The way Last of Us handles this feels unfair all the time. You get the key card: random encounter our of nowhere. You start the motor: random encounter out of nowhere again. The first was especially bad, since it is the first time you meet the Stalkers and you have no idea how they work. I threw an bottle to distract them and they attacked me. I restart and get instantly attacked again!. I start the motor, hear the infected coming, try to hid and they instantly know where i am! Fuck you game!

I also hate, how enemies will spawn out of air, if you get detected. It's feels like cheating ... right know i don't like the game.

It feels that way. But, I've done this part a few times. You can essentially do it without killing anything if you know how. You just won't most likely know how to do it it on a first playthrough. I'm on my 3rd playthrough(second time on Survivor+) and the encounters are incredibly easy to avoid once you have a good grasp on how the mechanics of the game work. The first time through though, it can be painful.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So seriously, can someone explain what is up with the total kills in the statistics? No way I killed over 900 dudes by the end, even with retries.

DatDude

Banned

Not as much.

But the gameplay is some of the most tense gameplay i've ever experienced.

Honestly, certain segments like the subway, or the sewer basement was enough to make me shit my pants. especially when you only have a sliver of health left.

Also fighting humans is legit fun, and really tactical in how you have to approach them.

loved that shit.

I have been playing around 2-3 hours per day since I bought this game Thursday June 13th and I have just now reached the part where you ride a
horse
. Normally I would have been done with any game by now, with the exception of RPG's.

And the great part is.. Not one section has been boring.

Toki767

I have been playing around 2-3 hours per day since I bought this game Thursday June 13th and I have just now reached the part where you ride a
horse
. Normally I would have been done with any game by now, with the exception of RPG's.

And the great part is.. Not one section has been boring.

My friend is finding the game really stressful so he's pretty much playing like one section a day. It's not a boring game by any means. The slow pace of the gameplay is honestly pretty mentally draining at times.

raindoc

turn off hints and prompts to your liking, i suggest to start with them until you get a feeling for the controls.
i DO recommend to turn off Listen-mode if you don't want to play as Batman.

My friend is finding the game really stressful so he's pretty much playing like one section a day. It's not a boring game by any means. The slow pace of the gameplay is honestly pretty mentally draining at times.

For me it is more the fact that I do not want this game to end so I am taking this slow.

Dakota47

I'm not big on shooters, since I can't aim with dual analog at all (and get sick if the game moves too fast). Would this game still be playable for me or is accuracy with guns not that important? Everything about it looks fantastic but I'm worried I'll be completely fucked in terms of actually making it through to the end.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I almost exclusively play games on my PC with keyboard+mouse and I positively suck with controllers, and the game is still very playable for me. My lousy controller aiming forces me to stealth(kill) as much as possible, so in a way it actually adds to the game. I am playing on normal difficulty and I am doing fine.

For me it is more the fact that I do not want this game to end so I am taking this slow.

It's a little bit of this for me, and a little bit of needing some more variation. You're either exploring a deserted area or fighting 15 humans/7 infected, and those fights are what's draining/repetitive to me since they occur so often.

It's a little bit of this for me, and a little bit of needing some more variation. You're either exploring a deserted area or fighting 15 humans/7 infected, and those fights are what's draining/repetitive to me since they occur so often.

I really do not feel this way. I think the game strikes a nice balance between exploring and fighting. Every single time I did a tough fight, there are enough moments of some peace and quiet where you can explore the environment and eventually move on.

This is no shooter where behind every corner there's an enemy waiting for you.

Dude, Tritton AX Pro 5.1 True Surround.. Has 3 speakers, Front, Rear and Centre plus a sub in each ear!!

You won't regret it.. Was playing Last of Us last night before going to bed.. I'm on the level in the hotel with the generator I had to turn on.. Let's just say I almost shat myself!!

Best experience you will ever get with gaming!!

RyoonZ

Banned
Just beaten this game last night. Truly amazing, definitely don't want a sequel and hope next gen open world will look like this. Anyway, did this game have Behind the scene like Uncharted?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You can actually, there's a trick to doing it.

As soon as you finish your first game, start a new game plus on whatever difficulty, complete the first chapter, then quit to main menu and go to chapter select, select the first chapter and select Survivor for difficulty and the game will consider it a new game plus on Survivor.

With this method, only two play throughs are required for all the difficulty trophies.

Holy wow. Just finished it and I would like to try this. What constitutes the "first chapter" so I know when I can quit.

DatDude

Banned
Just beaten this game last night. Truly amazing, definitely don't want a sequel and hope next gen open world will look like this. Anyway, did this game have Behind the scene like Uncharted?

yup. 2 hours long. but you need the season pass i believe. its on youtube...ask someone around here.

People have mentioned it before, but it's probably only a matter of time before we see a thread about the film rights...I kinda hope that doesn't happen though.

Eric Heisserer ‏@HIGHzurrer

I've read over 1000 scripts, worked in TV and film, and some of the finest writing I've ever seen is by @Neil_Druckmann in The Last of Us.

Fjordson

Alright, before I have a panic attack, I need someone to spoil something for me.

Do you ever run into like some sort of underwater infected? Like when you have to swim underwater and shit?

I'm playing on hard and died so many times on that part until I actually went stealthy. Was so tense because I sprinted upstairs, hid in some random room before making a dash for the exit.

People have mentioned it before, but it's probably only a matter of time before we see a thread about the film rights...I kinda hope that doesn't happen though.

Not every game needs a film. With a game written as well as this, whats the point of cramming it into two hours when the experience lends itself to so much more.

If this is an example of games maturing then it'd be best to leave it that way than force it into an unsuitable medium?

Not every game needs a film. With a game written as well as this, whats the point of cramming it into two hours when the experience lends itself to so much more.

If this is an example of games maturing then it'd be best to leave it that way than force it into an unsuitable medium?

Unless they decide to make a TV series out of it.

DatDude

Banned

Nah the game works perfectly for a film imo.

It basically is a film, just in an interactive form.

Also, not everyone plays video games, doesn't mean they should be left out from the experience.

Just how not everyone reads books, they still make movies from those stories in books.

Keep the same story of ellie and joel and make it into film. It will have a blockbuster weekend opening, watch.

Top Bottom