• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Can anyone speak on whether the soundtrack is worth a purchase? I loved it in-game, but seeing a load of 1-2 minute tracks always takes the wind out of my soundtrack excitement. Don't want another poorly edited audio dump that doesn't work out of context.

It is for me.

Anyway it's available on spotify so you can try it there.

Leeness

I think I'm at 61% or 67% fellow GAFfer. No way I'm in a rush. This game will last one more week at least.

Playing it on Hard and trying to save every item and bullet I can because I know I really going to need them...

It won't last me one more week, probably not. Sadness...

Playing on Hard as well and I lose a lot of ammo haha.

Hahahaha, Ellie just took out 3 bad guys by herself.

There were 3 guys in close proximity to each other in a room, so I bolted, but I guess Ellie got stuck in there, so she just fucked all 3 of them up. She just kept jumping on their backs, stabbing them.

It was the most hilarious thing I saw in this game, but also awesome. Wish this was on the PS4 so I could have recorded it....

Yaa, this game made me realize how badly I want the Share button.

Someone needs to teach kids how to swim in America...
Why would they need to know how to swim or who would take the time to teach them? Ellie lived all her life in a quarantine zone, swimming isn't a big priority. And Sam's been surviving with his brother.

That was one of the subtle details that implied the differences between those who were alive during the "old world" and those who only know this cordyceps ravaged America

Shoyz

There was a pileup of two cars I needed to climb over. Noel climbed onto the first and got stuck, unable to move until a few seconds later where he spontaneously died.

I'm not sure if it's a safety measure coded in to kill you if you're stuck. That or perhaps falling damage if the game registered me as being in thin air for five seconds and then touching ground when I got unstuck. Funny either way.

But not as funny as
that truck-pushing scene. I was grabbed by a Clicker, and during the death animation was interrupted by the cutscene of them jumping into the truck. It still played the death-audio of him screaming in the background.

End-Game Gameplay Spoilers:
In the two final segments of the game, where you're pitted against a massive army of 'zombies' and then soldiers, I cheesed both by running through them. The soldier segments can literally just be ran through and the damage tanked as reaching the door alive is a free checkpoint. Weird way to end it though.

Somewhat similarly, the undead army just prior can also be cheesed, albeit somewhat differently. I was too low on ammo and sneaking past seems impossible, so I simply got the attention of the two big guys, ran back to the beginning of the level, and then through them to the truck with a ladder on top. Concerningly the triangle button prompt to hoist Ellie up is disabled when you have the attention of the enemies (which were a ways behind us), but their attention and the alert was disabled for something like 5 seconds, just long enough to throw her up and get the ladder, and just short enough that I was hit by one of the bombs as I was jumping off to the end section, and got to end it with the unnerving constant explosions behind me.

Maybe it's just not my kind of game but I have no idea where the 10/10 scores come from. It's good, but I'm finding it hard to justify playing through the game again, especially considering I have to start over on max-difficulty before heading over to +, negating my first run..Arg.

There was a pileup of two cars I needed to climb over. Noel climbed onto the first and got stuck, unable to move until a few seconds later where he spontaneously died.

I'm not sure if it's a safety measure coded in to kill you if you're stuck. That or perhaps falling damage if the game registered me as being in thin air for five seconds and then touching ground when I got unstuck. Funny either way.

But not as funny as
that truck-pushing scene. I was grabbed by a Clicker, and during the death animation was interrupted by the cutscene of them jumping into the truck. It still played the death-audio of him screaming in the background.

End-Game Gameplay Spoilers:
In the two final segments of the game, where you're pitted against a massive army of 'zombies' and then soldiers, I cheesed both by running through them. The soldier segments can literally just be ran through and the damage tanked as reaching the door alive is a free checkpoint. Weird way to end it though.

Somewhat similarly, the undead army just prior can also be cheesed, albeit somewhat differently. I was too low on ammo and sneaking past seems impossible, so I simply got the attention of the two big guys, ran back to the beginning of the level, and then through them to the truck with a ladder on top. Concerningly the triangle button prompt to hoist Ellie up is disabled when you have the attention of the enemies (which were a ways behind us), but their attention and the alert was disabled for something like 5 seconds, just long enough to throw her up and get the latter, and just short enough that I was hit by one of the bombs as I was jumping off to the end section, and got to end it with the unnerving constant explosions behind me.

Maybe it's just not my kind of game but I have no idea where the 10/10 scores come from. It's good, but I'm finding it hard to justify playing through the game again, especially considering I have to start over on max-difficulty before heading over to +, negating my first run..Arg.

Seems to be a lot of problems with the
truck scene

Also just got the part
sam and henry die, im not really surprised as soon as I met them I was asking myself I wonder how they die.
Still dont care about the characters and I have just entered fall.

Gartooth

Finished the game, freaking masterpiece. I'm off to the spoiler thread but just... wow. Naughty Dog is just on a completely different level from most video game developers.

Just wrapped up the final 20%. Wow.

Bravo, Naughty Dog. Not only a return to form after what I consider to be a not so great Uncharted 3, but this is your best game so far. I have some gameplay related issues concerning pacing in the first few hours (specifically the forced walking), stealth which at times feels built around Listen Mode, and a few annoyances in the way multiplayer is handled, but whatever. Those are small annoyances in the big picture, and the big picture is a great looking, great sounding, well written, fun, intense, old school journey the likes of which we rarely see in the AAA space anymore, and especially not handled in such a sophisticated fashion in everything from characterization to enemy AI. Really like the ending too.

The best 20 hours I've played since Red Dead Redemption 3 years ago, and one of the best campaigns in this entire generation. This team should take a well deserved vacation, then take as much time as they need for their PS4 project.

vilmer_

Any good answers?

And I missed it but awesomely you can die in the walk with Tess. Don't mess with guards

There are two core ND teams working on games right now, one has been TLOU and the other team is working on something totally different. They are both checking in on each other to see where things are at. Single player and multiplayer DLC for TLOU is a lock, and lots of teases on what that 'other' team is doing though. It's definitely not DLC :p

People that have finished the game how many hours do I have left? I need to know whether I can finish it tonight while I am in the mood to or just go to bed because its currently 4am and I have a driving lesson later :p I am at the part when
Ellie leaves on the horse and I am at the house she went to.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
People that have finished the game how many hours do I have left? I need to know whether I can finish it tonight while I am in the mood to or just go to bed because its currently 4am and I have a driving lesson later :p I am at the part when

You still got quite some playtime! (which is good, BTW)

Are your impressions improving? Or the game still just mediocre?

RedSwirl

Jesus Christ. People, do not look up the infection featured in this game on Wikipedia. It's lead me on a Wiki-walk that's already got me reading about swollen lymph nodes, cysts, and cancer that has me scared as shit.

Jesus Christ. People, do not look up the infection featured in this game on Wikipedia. It's lead me on a Wiki-walk that's already got me reading about swollen lymph nodes, cysts, and cancer that has me scared as shit.

Well swollen lymph nodes and cysts aren't all that uncommon...

See, I care about the characters in TLoU a million times more than I do for the ones in 99% of other games; and that is resounding kudos for ND, no doubt, but it still pales in comparison to the feels I would have for characters in well written books or movies.

I can't help but scrunch up my face a little when I hear of people shouting at their TVs and even crying. That's not to say I'm better than you or anything; it's just something I can't really fathom.

RedSwirl

So far in the game (I'm at
the university
) it's really good, but not quite Uncharted 2/Game of the Generation masterpiece-level.

The graphics are great when they want to be, the characters and setting are really well-done, and the gameplay feels like a fresh take on third person action. It also shows that Naughty Dog still knows how to properly do scripted events. So far though the level design isn't quite at the same level as Uncharted 2. The set piece design is really what put that game on another level. I've heard people say the later parts of TLOU are better so we'll see.

See, I care about the characters in TLoU a million times more than I do for the ones in 99% of other games; and that is resounding kudos for ND, no doubt, but it still pales in comparison to the feels I would have for characters in well written books or movies.

I can't help but scrunch up my face a little when I hear of people shouting at their TVs and even crying. That's not to say I'm better than you or anything; it's just something I can't really fathom.
Well for me, very few movies/shows/books have got me emotionally invested in the characters. No game ever had, not until The Last of Us. There were some moments where my chest actually got tight with tension or I got butterflies in my stomach or I stood up in shock

Nothing in any other medium have ever affected me in those ways

I can't get into this game. A friend and I played for the first few hours, and I'm bored senseless. I was really excited for this game, but it just didn't grab me. It feels like any other third person stealth game, with a mediocre plot. Unless the characters get interesting later in the game, it's really not anything new. I'm really bummed out now. :(

So far in the game (I'm at
the university
) it's really good, but not quite Uncharted 2/Game of the Generation masterpiece-level.

The graphics are great when they want to be, the characters and setting are really well-done, and the gameplay feels like a fresh take on third person action. It also shows that Naughty Dog still knows how to properly do scripted events. So far though the level design isn't quite at the same level as Uncharted 2. The set piece design is really what put that game on another level. I've heard people say the later parts of TLOU are better so we'll see.

For me, I don't really like most of the first half of the game, but everything after chapter 5 I consider to be great.

UrbanRats

I think this game is better than Uncharted 2 under basically any department.
The best thing ND has ever done by a long shot.

I love Uncharted 2, btw.

MarkusRJR

I'm not big on shooters, since I can't aim with dual analog at all (and get sick if the game moves too fast). Would this game still be playable for me or is accuracy with guns not that important? Everything about it looks fantastic but I'm worried I'll be completely fucked in terms of actually making it through to the end.

The internet can terrify you easily when you start looking up stuff like that. Google can make you think a mosquito bite is lymphoma.

I want to start new game +, but can I choose to play NG+ on Survivor mode?

Dont tell me that I have to choose either a survivor runthrough or a NG+ runthrough ...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm not big on shooters, since I can't aim with dual analog at all (and get sick if the game moves too fast). Would this game still be playable for me or is accuracy with guns not that important? Everything about it looks fantastic but I'm worried I'll be completely fucked in terms of actually making it through to the end.

You can be stealthy for most of it. And in a way the gun fights being "messy" fit how they're supposed to play out. You should be fine.

Superflat

It's interesting, because to prep for TLOU I went and watched a bunch of films like No Country for Old Men, Children of Men, and The Road, but I felt more connected and invested in Joel and Ellie than I did for anyone in those films I watched. And I love those movies to hell and back.

I appreciate film and literature more for the craft of storytelling more than I do about empathizing with characters, and the ones that make do make me care deeply for the characters are few and far inbetween. TLOU definitely did.

You can't choose survivor for NG+

You can actually, there's a trick to doing it.

As soon as you finish your first game, start a new game plus on whatever difficulty, complete the first chapter, then quit to main menu and go to chapter select, select the first chapter and select Survivor for difficulty and the game will consider it a new game plus on Survivor.

With this method, only two play throughs are required for all the difficulty trophies.

Replicant

This game is an exemplary at diversity and very good at it. People always claim that diversity is a hard thing to achieve in video game and yet here ND does it simply and in an understated way. Every single main supporting characters come from different background, gender, sexuality, and race. Most importantly, they are all important and contribute to the story in a meaningful way instead of just there for display or for laugh.

I'd like to especially express gratitude to ND for portraying
a gay character in ordinary way. There's nothing over-the-top or spectacle about Bill. He's just a guy who happens to love another guy. His story is as sad as the other characters and he has flaws and regrets like the rest of them. He contributes to the story and the other characters in a meaningful way.

Thank you so much for giving this character real personality and individuality instead of being the butt of the joke like in other games. You guys really set a standard for how story should be approached in a game.

Mikey Jr.

The one criticism of the game I have is that when I go to an "area", I have no idea if its an area that I need to clear, or its an area that I can bypass. I wish that this was outlined somehow. I'll know on my second playthrough, but still.

But really, that is such a minor gripe in a fucking amazing game. I cant stop playing it.

I kinda hope they do more with this universe.

RedSwirl

For me, I don't really like most of the first half of the game, but everything after chapter 5 I consider to be great.

The game doesn't even really tell you what chapter is what.

The one criticism of the game I have is that when I go to an "area", I have no idea if its an area that I need to clear, or its an area that I can bypass. I wish that this was outlined somehow. I'll know on my second playthrough, but still.

But really, that is such a minor gripe in a fucking amazing game. I cant stop playing it.

I kinda hope they do more with this universe.

I imagine you can bypass most areas if your'e stealthy enough.

Top Bottom