• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

iNvid02

My new list for Top 5 favorite games of the generation after finishing The Last of Us.

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Dark Souls
5. Spec Ops: The Line

got the top 2 in common, only 2 im certain about with their placements too.

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption

AEREC

My new list for Top 5 favorite games of the generation after finishing The Last of Us.

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Dark Souls

Red Dead Redemption is still my top pick...but both RDR and TLoU had the best/most satisfying endings of this gen.

I-hate-u

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Dark Souls

Mine is:

1. The Last of Us
2. Killzone 2
3. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
4. Portal 2
5. Little Big Planet

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish I'd been able to get into RDR. It oozed quality, but just wasn't for me, which is really rare! I tend to be able to get into anything.

I have no clue at all on an order, but Portal 2, the Souls games, Journey and The Last of Us are certainly in there.

edit: Great generation. Really need to play Spec Ops.

T.O.P

Banned
Just reached Fall

tumblr_inline_ml7dzoX5pd1qz4rgp.gif

this fuckin game @_@

Amir0x

Banned
well, I beat the game. I'm going to sit down and think about it a bit and address my notes, but I have some serious reservations especially now that I beat it. It's a fascinating game to analyze, though, so I expect I'll have fun tearing it down and looking at what is inside.

Wow started on survivor after hard and it's a whole new experience. Loving it so far. I like when a couple hits from dudes drains your health. Makes the stealth all the more tense. Would you guys say Uncharted 2-3 crushing is more difficult than TLOU on survivor?

Jinjo

Scissors are the most abundant recourse in the game. You must be making lots of nail bombs or whatever they are called.

Probably difference between normal and hard. Always made shivs first above any upgraded melee weapon or nail bomb. Almost never had the resources to make those, because of a lack of scissors or I'd choose to wait because I was nearly running out of shivs.

Just reached Fall

http://media.tumblr.com/1c63b3ba7349f2a9f2572ed3120e209a/tumblr_inline_ml7dzoX5pd1qz4rgp.gif[IMG]

this fuckin game @_@[/QUOTE]

It's when the game really hit home for me too. Winter is just... I dunno what to tell you, man. Better make sure no one else is in the room is all I can say lol.

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Dark Souls

Good list man!

I'd simple replace Dark Souls with TWD for me, though I do love Dark Souls. Otherwise list would be the same.

JABEE

The musical score in this game is amazing. Is there any way to listen to the soundtrack that comes as a preorder bonus on your computer/iPod?

Top 5 for me after Last of Us.

1. Super Mario Galaxy or Last of Us (don't think I can decide...)

3. Dark Souls (very close behind)

4. Arkham City

5. Uncharted 2 (actually hated it at first but grew immensely on me)

Pranay

I'm surprised this thread is still on OT1. Is the game selling well.

uFalM.png

UK:

01 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (NE) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)

fPcfZ.png

Netherlands:
Week 24, 2013 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY)

MjzWH.png

Ireland:
Week 24, 2013 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (NE) THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

0A0qT.png

Denmark:

01 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SCEE)
02 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US JOEL EDITION (SCEE)

yW8JH.png

Germany:

Mh9KZ.png

Sweden

02 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US ELLIE EDITION (SCEE)
07 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US JOEL EDITION (SCEE)

YHFbe.png

Norway:

WquyV.png

Finland:

02 (01) PSN PLAYSTATION NETWORK CARD 20 EUR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
03 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US JOEL EDITION (SCEE)

US amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...mes/ref=zg_bsar_tab_t_bs?tag=viglink129408-20

Japan -
80% sellthrough

Eusis

Finished the game after pulling an all nighter. Of this type of game (linear cinematic/story focused action game) it's probably the best I've ever played, though it helped that aside from a few moments I was never bothered by ENEMIES ENEMIES ENEMIES like I was with some other games out there (Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted.) I just liked getting to walk around and scavenge the environment, and that many of the fights were more dirty quick affairs rather than prolonged shootouts, unless it was long range missing again and again fights.

bradigor

I hope that The Last Of Us can usher in more games of this type.

Proper story driven games, where the acting, writing and gameplay are all as important as each other.

I don't want to see straight up copies of the game, but seeing more developers put in that much attention to detail. Let us see some thrillers, dramas, crime games that are made with this level of care.

I liked that time was taken between the action to build relationships, but in a completely natural way, that there wasn't a single best way to approach each scenario. It was up there with movies and books in just how much it drew me in and actually made me feel emotionally.

I once said that no game has ever made me cry, never really made me feel any overwhelming emotion. Persona came close, in that I cared for the characters, but The Last Of Us actually had moments where I cried, where I was concerned for the characters, where I laughed. It had me drawn in emotionally as much as some of my favourite books and films.

More like this please.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just completed it.

This generation can end now. This won't be topped this generation. My favorite game of all time as it stands.

It's selling really well. Five times Uncharted 1 according to Eurogamer, and even better than 2 as far as openings go. UC3 sold slightly more, but that lifted on the success of the previous games and was released in November.

I watched that documentary and was floored. Naughty Dog truly are masters of their craft. My respect for them is even higher than it was after completing this game.

Fantastic. I have high hopes for the next UC, but I can't wait to see where else they go next.

nib95

Banned
uFalM.png

UK:

01 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

fPcfZ.png

Netherlands:

MjzWH.png

Ireland:
Week 24, 2013 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (NE) THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

0A0qT.png

Denmark:

yW8JH.png

Germany:

Mh9KZ.png

Sweden

02 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US ELLIE EDITION (SCEE)
07 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US JOEL EDITION (SCEE)

YHFbe.png

Norway:

WquyV.png

Finland:

02 (01) PSN PLAYSTATION NETWORK CARD 20 EUR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
03 (NE) PS3 THE LAST OF US JOEL EDITION (SCEE)

US amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-...mes/ref=zg_bsar_tab_t_bs?tag=viglink129408-20

Japan -
80% sellthrough

Boom. Well deserved. It's been on UK's no1 best sellers for several days now. Ahead of the PS4 even!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's selling really well. Five times Uncharted 1 according to Eurogamer, and even better than 2 as far as openings go. UC3 sold slightly more, but that lifted on the success of the previous games and was released in November.

I watched that documentary and was floored. Naughty Dog truly are masters of their craft. My respect for them is even higher than it was after completing this game.

Fantastic. I have high hopes for the next UC, but I can't wait to see where else they go next.

Where can we watch the documentary?

Yawnier

Banned
Just picked this up from EB Games, and I am HYPED to play it after seeing people rank this game up there with Red Dead Redemption and others.

hawk2025

well, I beat the game. I'm going to sit down and think about it a bit and address my notes, but I have some serious reservations especially now that I beat it. It's a fascinating game to analyze, though, so I expect I'll have fun tearing it down and looking at what is inside.

You take notes while playing a game for the first time? O.O

RDreamer

Just reached Fall

tumblr_inline_ml7dzoX5pd1qz4rgp.gif

this fuckin game @_@

Same here.

Sucks because everyone else seems to be so far ahead. I was going at a good pace, but had to put the game down for about 4 days because I was so damned busy. It sucked more because I stopped at such a cliffhanger portion:

I had to stop right when Joel was separated from Ellie in the sewers.

Amir0x

Banned
You take notes while playing a game for the first time? O.O

I take notes because sometimes I forget things over 20 hour games, especially story details, and I like to be able to reference negatives or positives I experienced when I play games.

Amirox opinions Serious business bro

Huge rant incoming with 2nd half of the game being crap

You heard it first here !

If I'm being true, you guys way oversold the second half of the game. I actively started getting bored of the setup by the time I got to the end of Winter. Winter didn't actually engage the player with anything much new - just lots of more stealth or shoot out segments. I'm not exactly sure what you guys wanted me to see at that point lol

The biggest different thing was the
fight against David and the ensuing fire but that entire fight just played out like I was just taking out three enemies stealthily, except you had to land all those hits on one person, and you occasionally had to watch out for stepping on broken dishes.
There was the
fact that you take turns playing as Joel and Ellie, but that didn't amount to much different except I couldn't melee fight with Ellie same as I could Joel.
Then there was the
white out part which just made me miss the extremely detailed work of past levels since it was all covered by snow whenever I stepped outside

One of my biggest problems with the game, actually, was that it did so little to mix up the potential gameplay opportunities. When you start the game, you'll pretty much be doing that til the very end, in exactly the same configuration, but with more enemies added into the mix. I don't mind consistency of gameplay elements, but as stealthing was super mediocre from a gameplay-perspective, the game needed elements to mix up the shooting parts, and there simply wasn't enough variety in the scenarios to really appreciate the superlative gunplay over the course of a 20 hour average playtime. I obviously played way longer, but that had no relationship to my feeling on this - I was adoring the art direction most of that time, not being engaged in gun fights.

Puzzle design is the same, you have this huge survivor after event and the sum total of the ideas Naughty Dog came up with for traversing the environment was ladders, planks and a floating board for Ellie. That was pretty much every single thing you had to do in the environment up til the very end of the game. Ellie even says "oh this thing again" by the end. I cannot imagine a team that has so much talent couldn't come up with better ways to mix things up.

Anyway, I have so many issues, but the game is a decent game, not a bad one like Uncharted 3, so just note I'm way harsher on games altogether than most people are, and Last of Us didn't earn its right to be any different in that regard. I'll have a very detailed write up later.

Gold_Loot

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Dark Souls

Man, this list is pretty close to mine.

I would swap out Red Dead and put Demon Souls in it's place though

Gold_Loot

I take notes because sometimes I forget things over 20 hour games, especially story details, and I like to be able to reference negatives or positives I experienced when I play games.

If I'm being true, you guys way oversold the second half of the game. I actively started getting bored of the setup by the time I got to the end of Winter. Winter didn't actually engage the player with anything much new - just lots of more stealth or shoot out segments. I'm not exactly sure what you guys wanted me to see at that point lol

The biggest different thing was the
fight against David and the ensuing fire but that entire fight just played out like I was just taking out three enemies stealthily, except you had to land all those hits on one person, and you occasionally had to watch out for stepping on broken dishes.
There was the
fact that you take turns playing as Joel and Ellie, but that didn't amount to much different except I couldn't melee fight with Ellie same as I could Joel.
Then there was the
white out part which just made me miss the extremely detailed work of past levels since it was all covered by snow whenever I stepped outside

One of my biggest problems with the game, actually, was that it did so little to mix up the potential gameplay opportunities. When you start the game, you'll pretty much be doing that til the very end, in exactly the same configuration, but with more enemies added into the mix. I don't mind consistency of gameplay elements, but as stealthing was super mediocre from a gameplay-perspective, the game needed elements to mix up the shooting parts, and there simply wasn't enough variety in the scenarios to really appreciate the superlative gunplay over the course of a 20 hour average playtime. I obviously played way longer, but that had no relationship to my feeling on this - I was adoring the art direction most of that time, not being engaged in gun fights.

Puzzle design is the same, you have this huge survivor after event and the sum total of the ideas Naughty Dog came up with for traversing the environment was ladders, planks and a floating board for Ellie. That was pretty much every single thing you had to do in the environment up til the very end of the game. Ellie even says "oh this thing again" by the end. I cannot imagine a team that has so much talent couldn't come up with better ways to mix things up.

Anyway, I have so many issues, but the game is a decent game, not a bad one like Uncharted 3, so just note I'm way harsher on games altogether than most people are, and Last of Us didn't earn its right to be any different in that regard. I'll have a very detailed write up later.

I think for me personaly it was the narrative that juiced up the winter sections for me
The fact that I was alone in a cult like village in a heavy snow storm. The feeling of isolation while being hunted

I don't know. It hit all the right notes for me personaly.

The Lamp

I would say for once I agree with and recognize Amir0x's criticisms but it's just easy for me to forgive things like that when it was overall so fun to play and such an emotionally engrossing story.

Majmun

I would say for once I agree with and recognize Amir0x's criticisms but it's just easy for me to forgive things like that when it was overall so fun to play and such an emotionally engrossing story.

It's just an opinion and all.

I remember him gushing over Infinite's gameplay. (which is just a generic fps coated by an interesting setting imo)

Amir0x

Banned
It's just an opinion and all.

I remember him gushing over Infinite's gameplay. (which is just a generic fps coated in a nice setting imo)

Did I "gush", or did I lay out in extreme detail the things I liked and didn't, and came to the conclusion that it was an engaging FPS experience? I'm not a fanboy, I'm a gamer and I spell it out like I see it.

The same is true of Last of Us. I loved its gunplay, love the weight and feel of the weapons, loved how you could blow back enemies but more importantly how they could blow you back, but I evaluate the full package and there is huge issues.

Top Bottom