• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

childplease.png

Some people I swear....

As long as he doesn't say 1 is better than 2 or 3

Amir0x

Banned
I don't really feel like Amir0x about the game, infact, it was one of the few AAA games i finished without ever getting bored in the last few years.
Still, i'm looking forward to his opinions, always interesting to read.

Also, i used shivs just on clickers.
Why use shivs when you can simply chocke people?

I was never completely sure on this, but I felt like shivs took out people more quietly, because when i choked people out next to Clickers they seemed to notice me a LOT easier lol

I must have done about 6 hours now - just got to the bit where they crashed the car (in Pittsburgh I think), which is the area from most gameplay demos they've shown. It's so, so good. It really reminded me of Resident Evil 2 when you're running around Bill's town. The item and resource management is spot-on because it gives a sense of depth and while there's a lot of shooting, it doesn't feel excessive or unnecessary. I really love the dialogue, I think Ellie is just a wonderful character. If BAFTAs are not given to this game it will be a travesty.

Dragnet

Wow, TLoU's lead programmer reached out to me to try understand and help me with my situation (game crashing on near final cutscene at 99% completion). Awesome customer support, Naughty Dog rocks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wrote a post on the subject here, if you want to look into it.

It's on Steam. Made by one person, showcases more brilliant puzzle design than almost every other game on the market. Ever. In history.
That review said:
"But Amir0x, I'm so dumb I don't even think I could get through a game where some explosion-laden set piece in which I have no input whatsoever is not included... how will I decide how to let the developers play the game for me if they're not playing the game for me?"
I hadn't heard of Antichamber and it sounds phenomenal. An esoteric puzzler that involves non-Euclidean geometry and doesn't tell you its controls. I share many of your complaints about conveyance in modern games too, anyway. But reading this, it sounds a lot like you're simply predisposed to enjoy games like that more than games that are like this, which you appear to generally frown upon.

The problem being, in the context of reviewing this game, that of the games that are anything remotely like The Last of Us, The Last of Us is among the absolute very best. Maybe it's not quite comparing Goodfellas to The Lion King but it seems like any game that follows a similar formula to this will have a harder time under your microscope than games that employ inventive, cerebral mechanics and assume the functional competence of their players to your satisfaction, independent of quality.

Manu

The biggest problem with the game is the pacing. At times it's great and then you get Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh was probably the highlight of the game for me, only second to
the college.

Winter didn't resonate as much with me for some reason. Neither the setting nor the story.

Hung_real

Finished the game

Wow this is no doubt one of my top 3 game of this generation

My GOTY so far is Bioshock Infinite. I don't know if The Last Of Us could beat it. So far it's not.

Same here, I played BI on PC and my goty so far is definitely it, but The Last of us is just so much better in so many ways.

Jarmel

Banned
Pittsburgh was probably the highlight of the game for me, only second to
the college.

Winter didn't resonate as much with me for some reason. Neither the setting nor the story.

Pittsburgh is almost nonstop killing for over four hours.

Leeness

Just finished 90%
Winter

The David "boss" fight was great oh man. Great way to have a boss fight in this game.

And dem feels when Joel called Ellie "baby girl". ;_;

Edit: Lawd, forgot to close my tag, I hope I didn't spoil anyone accidentally :(

Flo_Evans

I think he should give survivor a shot before reviewing it.

I had some of the same thoughts. Oh another layout of clickers. What tool of destruction should I take them out with? I had pretty much max ammo and bombs and health on normal. I could mess around take a few hits and make a medkit! My loaded guy combined with the checkpoint system made it pretty non challenging, but still fun. The problem is you can choose how to deal with encounters on your own terms, you know the most efficient way to clear a room of clickers and have the gear to do it.

On survivor though I have no shivs. No bombs. 3 bullets. Clickers have better hearing. Guards have better vision. Bullets hurt way more.

Maybe it will get repetitive again towards the end but so far I am having to play way differently than I did the 1st game.

Anecdotal, but the Gamestop in town was only releasing preordered copies for another week. Crazy. I'm glad this is selling well. I hope it has legs!

Manu

Pittsburgh is almost nonstop killing for over four hours.

It also has some of the best semi-open areas in the game, and tons of opportunities for stealth.

The only part of the game where the excessive killing bothered me was
the hospital. I didn't like how they made you go full Uncharted on that section, especially because I don't like the combat in Uncharted. Also, the game forced you into combat by having the guards look forever in your direction when they heard a noise, unlike the rest of the game where they would leave after a while. I waited for minutes behind cover and they just stood there.

Jarmel

Banned
Pittsburgh is my second favourite part of the game. Fighting humans is far better than fighting infected, in my opinion.

Too bad they throw way too many human encounters in that section instead of making it more reserved. It's large human encounter after another for the most part. It's too much.

I know! It's making me get bored and exhausted. I just got past the hotel. When does this end?!

You got a little while to go. It gets tiring after the hotel.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I never had that many shivs, scissor pieces were a rare commodity. And I preferred to save my shivs to use on locked doors
I was always the lowest on shivs of anything. But he's saying if you use the upgrade, a full durability shiv won't break when you stab someone, I think. I used my upgrades on other stuff but that's a perfectly valid way to play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
In retrospect Pittsburgh is probably the weakest point of the game, or at the least the gamiest/most ridiculous.

You kill SO MANY PEOPLE, and it ends with the ridiculous sniper segment where a guy has an impossibly high stockpile of powerful ammo. Then that fucking convoy somehow followed you after you jumped off the bridge, washed up a good bit away, and went through a sewer.

I like the encounters themselves, but I do think it dragged on a bit too much.

Survivor Mode does not fuck around when it comes to skimping on the supplies. I'm pretty well into Bill's segment and I think maybe 2 drawers/cupboards have yielded anything at all. It's brutal. I went for a good few hours without being able to craft a health kit.

The_Monk

Are the Bonus unlocks that you have to purchase with in-game money for Single Player only, right fellow GAFfers?

I was wondering if some of them could be used in the Multiplayer.

In retrospect Pittsburgh is probably the weakest point of the game, or at the least the gamiest/most ridiculous.

You kill SO MANY PEOPLE, and it ends with the ridiculous sniper segment where a guy has an impossibly high stockpile of powerful ammo. Then that fucking convoy somehow followed you after you jumped off the bridge, washed up a good bit away, and went through a sewer.

I like the encounters themselves, but I do think it dragged on a bit too much.

after having been rescued by henry if you turn around and go back to the edge of the shore you can see the bridge, it's not *that* far away

Holy shit what is with this difficulty spike? I've died like 10 times on this spot.

Last quarter of the game spoiler->
Just took over Elle, got to the mill or whatever and a million infected are coming in and I have a rifle with a fucking 3 round capacity. Hey you dumb shit why didn't you take that pistol Joel had been upgrading all game that has a 20 round magazine?

Really irritating. I'm sure ill get through it but it just seems so senseless.

Leeness

90% spoilers.

pretty sure I watched the giraffe herd for like fifteen minutes.

I got to pet one :')

Sorry again, I seriously shouldn't post spoilers on my phone, I'm fucking them up today. :/

I hate to get all Peter Molyneux, but imagine a game where you only kill one person through the entire experience. Think about how much weight that death would have.

Now obviously in this game you can't do that. But when you get such a high death toll, it strains believability, and lessens the impact of any deaths that do occur.

The_Monk

90% spoilers.

pretty sure I watched the giraffe herd for like fifteen minutes.

I got to pet one :')

Sorry again, I seriously shouldn't post spoilers on my phone, I'm fucking them up today. :/

I just finished the game, so it's fine for me.

However, you should ALWAYS preview your posts fellow GAFfer. I mean, this was a very hyped game for me, I would have hated if someone spoiled the game, I know some people in here that don't want nothing to get spoiled, so always click "preview post" to make sure it's done well and then, post away!

pa22word

I just finished the game, so it's fine for me.

However, you should ALWAYS preview your posts fellow GAFfer. I mean, this was a very hyped game for me, I would have hated if someone spoiled the game, I know some people in here that don't want nothing to get spoiled, so always click "preview post" to make sure it's done well and then, post away!

I think gaf could do a better job of implementing spoiler tags too, though. For instance there's no spoiler tag shortcut on the keyboard, nor is there an icon for it in the posting screen. Removing user error from the equation would go a long way in helping kill situations like this, tbqh.

GulAtiCa

The only part I disliked about the game was (only highlight if you've gotten to the "Fall" or later (aka 50% completion or above))
Sniper area in suburbs. I really disliked that part do to how cheap it was. The hunters wouldn't actually apaear till you hit a certain point and would actually do nothing and forget how to "AI" if you went back near the beginning. Though only upside to this, is that the hunters would actually just stand all together in the wide open and let you shoot them. Made Survival mode kinda annoying. Only got through it do to the joel respawn actually spawning me 2 houses in front after I died which made it very easy... lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit what is with this difficulty spike? I've died like 10 times on this spot.

Last quarter of the game spoiler->
Just took over Elle, got to the mill or whatever and a million infected are coming in and I have a rifle with a fucking 3 round capacity. Hey you dumb shit why didn't you take that pistol Joel had been upgrading all game that has a 20 round magazine?

Really irritating. I'm sure ill get through it but it just seems so senseless.

If it makes you feel any better that was EASILY the hardest part of the game to me. I didn't find the game difficult otherwise.

It helps to go into the hallway. When I was in the open room it was very easy to get snagged by a clicker out of nowhere. When in the confined space David can stun enemies which helps line up a shot.

after having been rescued by henry if you turn around and go back to the edge of the shore you can see the bridge, it's not *that* far away

Yeah, it isn't something insane, but it still rubbed me as something from uncharted more than anything else. Only time I ever felt that, though.

Top Bottom