• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Just lure them to the entrance. And kill one by one. Clickers will come straight at you. But runners will keep playing hide and seek. Just be patient. Some will certainly drop ammo.

Not sure how it is on survivor, but I just used the shortie there and almost every other one dropped shortie ammo.

fallingdove

FINALLY

This game has been sold out since launch where I am and finally after 4 straight days of looking I managed to find a copy. I managed to make it this far without getting anything spoiled so I'm quite excited to begin.

The best way to do it. I vowed not to watch anything after the first gameplay trailer and I was blown away. I think I might do this with more games going forward.

Yanksfan

I have avoided almost all previews for this game and just saw the scores coming in, but refused to read any of the content. Being a huge ND fan and seeing the overwhelming strong feedback, I was convinced this would be an experience I wanted to keep as unspoiled as possible. While I succeeded in this, I wonder if I did myself a disservice. I love absolutely everything about the game to death, except for the gameplay, which I cannot stand thus far. I hate the thought of even booting it up again to be honest. I am only 2 hours in and still dealing with
avoiding or fighting mobs of soldiers
. I feel like the stealth aspects are poorly done and what I have left is a shooter without bullets. Do things change as the world opens (presumably) opens up?

Please note I am not trying to be negative about the game and also acknowledge that perhaps I am not doing something correctly. I want to enjoy this game a lot and am hopeful I get some direction (or hope) that will help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bricks. Smash dem faces.
Just RUUUUN.
kill_it_with_fire.gif
this was awesome
Just lure them to the entrance. And kill one by one. Clickers will come straight at you. But runners will keep playing hide and seek. Just be patient. Some will certainly drop ammo.
This is what I did. Never had to fight more than one at a time. In downtime you can take a Clicker or two out with the bow as well.

Sam was very impressed.
Can someone tell me how many hours I have left? I'm 80% in and the last thing I did was
hold off the infected inside the building as Ellie with that stranger guy

I want to see if I can knock out the rest in a single play session.
Well what's a single play session in terms of actual time?

I played from before there all the way through to the end but I saw the credits around 2:00AM.

I have avoided almost all previews for this game and just saw the scores coming in, but refused to read any of the content. Being a huge ND fan and seeing the overwhelming strong feedback, I was convinced this would be an experience I wanted to keep as unspoiled as possible. While I succeeded in this, I wonder if I did myself a disservice. I love absolutely everything about the game to death, except for the gameplay, which I cannot stand thus far. I hate the thought of even booting it up again to be honest. I am only 2 hours in and still dealing with
. I feel like the stealth aspects are poorly done and what I have left is a shooter without bullets. Do things change as the world opens (presumably) opens up?

Please note I am not trying to be negative about the game and also acknowledge that perhaps I am not doing something correctly. I want to enjoy this game a lot and am hopeful I get some direction (or hope) that will help.

I'm playing on normal for the first time and I've never had a problem w/ ammo...as long as you don't kill every single person with your guns. If you mix it up, ammo shouldn't be a problem.

Superflat

Hmmm you might have actually done yourself a disservice unfortunately :(

Watching the gameplay gave me an idea of what to expect so I was able to transition easily into the playstyle. It's definitely not a shooter first and foremost like an Uncharted.

The beginning is the game is going to be the most limited you're going to feel however, and if you're playing normal, ammo shouldn't be an issue later.

Lyonaz

Don't think of it as a shooter, it's a brick and bottle recycling simulator. These 2 items are in abundance, use them well. The game has auto-aim when throwing stuff, wait for the green reticule, throw item, rush in and melee for satisfaction. Sometimes you want to just melee with a brick, distract/lure enemy with bottles or stun them with a thrown object, melee and then auto-aim headshot finish with gun, shotgun. Don't just shoot, ND has lots of contextual melee animation, go and try to see them all.

-edit- Molotovs and Nailbombs are great fun too.

Don't play normal unless you actively don't want the challenge :[

I don't mind games not being hard... but man is is irritating to not being able to loot mat because you are topped up inventory and on pots and shivs and w/e.

Is this one of those games where it starts off challenging but gets easier as you 'level up'?

Within an hour I got like a shotgun rifle thing, a bow, and the ability to use shivs twice.

I'm assuming that Joel will be Arnold in Commando by game end?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't mind games not being hard... but man is is irritating to not being able to loot mat because you are topped up inventory and on pots and shivs and w/e.

Is this one of those games where it starts off challenging but gets easier as you 'level up'?

Within an hour I got like a shotgun rifle thing, a bow, and the ability to use shivs twice.

I'm assuming that Joel will be Arnold in Commando by game end?
I'm confused, are you playing on normal? Why not switch to easy if you aren't enjoying it?

So...when can I start this? My download is at 65% and there's been no prompt. It's saying 11 minutes (won't be finished downloading in that time!) so should I be paying attention to that rather than the status bar?

Jinjo

Is it just me or is tape for shivs the hardest to find resource? I'm playing on normal and I'm usually maxed out on everything but the tape.

It was the scissors for me lol. I was always maxed on tape. (played on hard) And arrows, those goddamn arrows. (although I did find a lot more of them later in the game after my complaining here).

Well what's a single play session in terms of actual time?

I played from before there all the way through to the end but I saw the credits around 2:00AM.

Well I didn't have a set amount of time in mind, just curious how much is roughly left. But lets say around four hours ideally. Is it close to that?

krae_man

It was the scissors for me lol. I was always maxed on tape. (played on hard) And arrows, those goddamn arrows. (although I did find a lot more of them later in the game after my complaining here).

Scissors are the most abundant recourse in the game. You must be making lots of nail bombs or whatever they are called.

done!...

not sure any developer has given me more this gen than naughty dog. incredible, very high quality track record...

as a game, i'm not sure i can honestly say i enjoyed last of us more than uncharted 2. both are pretty rich, nicely orchestrated, & very enjoyable games. but, as a genuinely dramatic, emotional, well-scripted experience, this game managed to get to & impress me in ways that few other games have. more than anything else, i think it was because of how amazingly consistent the over-all tone of the game was throughout. nothing jarred, either character interaction or gameplay wise. just tremendously solid, clear, & almost perfectly paced. the transitions from one major location to the next felt close to organic...

dead-serious games almost always completely fail with me. i still enjoy them, but i pretty much anticipate not really getting all that caught up in things ahead of time, & plan accordingly. last of us is one of the rare exceptions. it's a mature, beautifully conceived commentary on friendship, loyalty, & trust, contained within a tightly directed, mechanically sound, gorgeous to look at & listen to game, & it easily deserves all the praise it's been given...

thanks, naughty dog! endure & survive! :) ...

my favorite segment:
ellie's deer hunt. so fucking inspired :) ...

I'm confused, are you playing on normal? Why not switch to easy if you aren't enjoying it?

i mean, enemies do wayyy to little damage for the amount of loot i get. So even if I tackle situations poorly i still am never low on bandages and mat for them.

Heck the situations where I find challenging I usually die from clickers so I never really get the chance to burn through my bandages or what not lol.

I just wish i have a bigger backpack.

I'm playing on normal for the first time and I've never had a problem w/ ammo...as long as you don't kill every single person with your guns. If you mix it up, ammo shouldn't be a problem.

Don't worry so much about not having ammo. Things seem to work out even if you don't have any. Its just kinda designed that way.

I am almost done with my second play through on survivor and you really can get quite a bit done with no bullets at all. Give me one bottle or brick and I can kill at least two people.

Also I really suggest turning listen mode off on normal. I think you will be happier with the experience in the end. Lots of little things about the game come to life better with listen mode off.

The Lamp

Just watched the documentary.

I'm convinced Naughty Dogs are the most attentive to detail geniuses who ever lived to make video games. I'm floored. Great job to the team. This is one of my favorite video games of all time.

antitrop

This is what I see for GRAW:

C4M6vMil.jpg

I'm glad they changed the score, I guess. GRAW has always been slightly overrated because it was early next-gen and reviewers are easily impressed.

AEREC

Kinda hope they remaster this for the PS4. Image quality was straight up doodoo during the daytime outdoor scenes. Still didn't keep it from being an incredible game but it did makes stop and think "damn...that looks like shit" several times.

The Lamp

Kinda hope they remaster this for the PS4. Image quality was straight up doodoo during the daytime outdoor scenes. Still didn't keep it from being an incredible game but it did makes stop and think "damn...that looks like shit" several times.

Back up from your TV. Haha.

solarus

Whaaat, it looked amazing to me, the outdoor scenes are some of the best visuals i've ever seen. Irrespective of platform. Dat lighting.

antitrop

My new list for Top 5 favorite games of the generation after finishing The Last of Us.

1. The Last of Us
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Dark Souls
5. Spec Ops: The Line

AEREC

not in uk

Try turning sharpness down. i know there are lot of jaggies same as u3 specially in day time. But man the lightning in both games is beautiful

I'll have to check my settings then because every game I've played on the PS3 recently (injustice demo, infamous 2, and TLoU) have been insanely jaggy.

Top Bottom