• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Did I "gush", or did I lay out in extreme detail the things I liked and didn't, and came to the conclusion that it was an engaging FPS experience? I'm not a fanboy, I'm a gamer and I spell it out like I see it.

The same is true of Last of Us. I loved its gunplay, love the weight and feel of the weapons, loved how you could blow back enemies but more importantly how they could blow you back, but I evaluate the full package and there is huge issues.

There are minor issues that don't really get in the way of a fantastic overall game

Duffyside

Banned
I'm sure this has been asked before, so my apologies, but what changes in a Survivor playthrough? Less health for me, more health for enemies, less supplies, ?

Amir0x

Banned
There are minor issues that don't really get in the way of a fantastic overall game

Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that. Look, I'm writing up my review at length, you guys can get up in arms about the horrible negativity when it's out.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so my apologies, but what changes in a Survivor playthrough? Less health for me, more health for enemies, less supplies, ?

Less health, item placement changes, no button prompts, stronger enemies, significantly fewer supplies and disabled listen mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did I "gush", or did I lay out in extreme detail the things I liked and didn't, and came to the conclusion that it was an engaging FPS experience? I'm not a fanboy, I'm a gamer and I spell it out like I see it.

The same is true of Last of Us. I loved its gunplay, love the weight and feel of the weapons, loved how you could blow back enemies but more importantly how they could blow you back, but I evaluate the full package and there is huge issues.

Really, no, there are no huge issues. there are minor issues that are minor. :p

Amir0x

Banned
... Yikes. Ok, maybe not for me. Thanks.

it's ok probably easy as pie still. just sneak past any encounter not mandatory, which is as easy as pie even without Listen Mode. Most of the 'stealth arenas' are quite small and can be navigated within a minute.

Duffyside

Banned
it's ok probably easy as pie still. just sneak past any encounter not mandatory, which is as easy as pie even without Listen Mode. Most of the 'stealth arenas' are quite small and can be navigated within a minute.

Eh, there were a couple of areas where I came down to almost no items left
David and Ellie against the infected more than anything else
. Significantly less supplies strikes me as a really big deal.

Amir0x

Banned

If you're skipping most combat arenas, you won't run out as quickly. I was on hard (minus Listen mode) and I killed every single individual I could and I still had items left over at the end. I imagine on Survivor mode (which I'll be starting later this weekend) if you cut out some of the combat arenas it'd be really easy to dedicate your supplies to the few real encounters you MUST engage in.

baekshi

Banned

I survived this. Not hard, and make EVERY bullet count. They'll drop.

Amir0x

Banned
Looking forward to Amir0x review but i think him taking so long to finish the game is crazy .
Which sometimes have a effect on your enjoyment .

The fact that I spent so much time in Last of Us is actually a GOOD indication; if I disliked a game, I would not spend much time in it and would actively rush to finish it if I could. I think Last of Us is a decent game, but of course I don't throw perfect scores out like candy, I don't operate on a 7-10 scale, and I don't particularly get so invested in a purchase that I need for it to be good, so I just am more careful about what I call truly great. I operate in a completely different universe from the 10/10 journalists, and probably couldn't relate even if I tried :p

Majmun

I'm actually looking forward to read about those "huge issues". The game is far from perfect.

Some other impressions in this thread, from actual gamers I think, have some legit complains also.

Ashes

Banned
The fact that I spent so much time in Last of Us is actually a GOOD indication; if I disliked a game, I would not spend much time in it and would actively rush to finish it if I could. I think Last of Us is a decent game, but of course I don't throw perfect scores out like candy, I don't operate on a 7-10 scale, and I don't particularly get so invested in a purchase that I need for it to be good, so I just am more careful about what I call truly great. I operate in a completely different universe from the 10/10 journalists, and probably couldn't relate even if I tried :p

You taking notes reminded me of film theory classes; I used to review films, and whilst I'd take notes, its normally everything that happens after the ending, and walking out of the cinema, and sitting down and thinking about everything that the magic happens.

This is like you talking throughout a movie. Kinda annoying. :p

When you're done. And you've put down the controller and had to time to think. Then join us in the spoiler thread. Your opinion will be highly appreciated.

Andrew.

Banned
Man these trophies are fucked. I just got the gold for collecting everything and I'm damn sure I didnt collect everything yet. I know I missed a pendant in the very first chapter for one.

Still the best game ever though

SLIGHT hyperbole

pa22word

Did anyone else have a problem with the way they handled the zombies in this game? They feel more like window dressing and cannon fodder most of the time, just there to provide you with something to shoot at. I understand that the game takes place two decades after the initial outbreak and all, so they're pretty common place to the game's protagonists, but to the viewer it seems like they barely get any screen time at all in the game's plot. Normally I wouldn't mind as much, but seeing as naughty dog took the ceph. approach it feels like a missed opportunity.

GulAtiCa

Survival Mode for The Last of Us now complete with 16 hours and 20 minutes.

Pretty challenging, esp with listen mode being off no matter what. It took me an extra 2 hours, mainly for the sneaking around.

Though, I've started to notice some issues with the graphics in my 2nd playthrough. Some real pop-in/pop-out issues and texture issues. Most common thing I saw was human corpse body disappearing after you killed them.. Weird, cause I didn't notice this stuff the 1st time around that much. Maybe I'm just noticing it better now.

Amir0x

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
You taking notes reminded me of film theory classes; I used to review films, and whilst I'd take notes, its normally everything that happens after the ending, and walking out of the cinema, and sitting down and thinking about everything that the magic happens.

This is like you talking throughout a movie. Kinda annoying. :p

When you're done. And you've put down the controller and had to time to think. Then join us in the spoiler thread. Your opinion will be highly appreciated.

I beat the game, I beat it last night actually. So I've had my time to think. I take notes during games because movies are two hours, but I have to play games for anywhere from 10-80 hours, and usually that playtime is broken up into chunks, so I start forgetting things as time goes on. Don't worry guys there's no ideal way for me to have played the game; I played it right, I liked some things, I didn't like others. It's just the cookie and all that crumbling and whatnot :p

Anyway, I'll be back when I finish my write up 'cause there's obviously no way to have a fair discussion before it's out.

Alienous

I get the feeling that the game will be more like Uncharted 3 than Uncharted 2, in how it's received in the future.

It's a good game. I'd even say it's a great game. But having played it, I don't feel like it registers on my best games of all time. It really is just a game, on par with many of the efforts from other developers.

The_Monk

I did it my fellow GAFfers, I did it. I finished. It's near 2AM but I could not stop now that I was so close.

I have some trouble finding the right words, considering english is not my native language. I'm sorry. This is one of the best games I have played. I believe everyone should play this game. I truly do believe that.

The soundtrack was amazing from the start until the end. Playing with a decent Headset/Headphone made such a big difference. You must play it with one and believe me, I'm not a big horror fan so I knew when those guys where making those sounds I was scared, but I had to play it this way, I had to get into the game, you know? I wanted to feel that I was in a very difficult situation and it was the Story who kept me playing and playing. I like when some games get my emotional side and this was one of them.

I wish I could explain it better to my fellow GAFfers.

nib95

Banned
I get the feeling that the game will be more like Uncharted 3 than Uncharted 2, in how it's received in the future.

It's a good game. I'd even say it's a great game. But having played it, I don't feel like it registers on my best games of all time. It really is just a game, on par with many of the efforts from other developers.

Based on the impressions and posts I've read thus far from people who have completed it? I disagree. When GAF has a GotG voting thread, watch TLoU be in the top 5 picks. I've read a LOT of people claim it as their GoTG already. Some even picked it as the best game they've ever played lol.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I finally started and I just got jumped by gang after you get the car. So far its good but nothing special. Enjoying it none the less.

Amir0x

Banned
Based on the impressions and posts I've read thus far from people who have completed it? I disagree. When GAF has a GotG voting thread, watch TLoU be in the top 5 picks. I've read a LOT of people claim it as their GoTG already. Some even picked it as the best game they've ever played lol.

There's no doubt it's going to be the GOTY for GAF.

My GOTY so far is Antichamber, but I'm always excited to see what comes out next :)

GulAtiCa

Less health, almost none item placement changes, no button prompts, stronger enemies, significantly fewer supplies and disabled listen mode.

fixed.

But it wasn't too difficult, very challenging for sure though. You just need to think of ahead and be very stealthy. As well as hold onto your resources, as you get nearly none from enemies.

It also helped that I remembered a lot of the main hunter/infected paths, so even without listen mode, was easy to keep track where they were.

Majmun

Did anyone else have a problem with the way they handled the zombies in this game? They feel more like window dressing and cannon fodder most of the time, just there to provide you with something to shoot at. I understand that the game takes place two decades after the initial outbreak and all, so they're pretty common place to the game's protagonists, but to the viewer it seems like they barely get any screen time at all in the game's plot. Normally I wouldn't mind as much, but seeing as naughty dog took the ceph. approach it feels like a missed opportunity.

The humans are the real monsters here, not the infected. The spores happened and brought the worst out of us. I think the game portrays that pretty well.

The focus on humans is a good choice. Because when something like this would happen in the real word, I'd be more scared of a psycho with a gun than a zombie.

Gskyace

Waiting for more items coming,including Joel and Ellie edition,hardcover guide and another artbook.

64e7655fjw1e5uk0j9in8j20xc18gtln.jpg

Anyone knows how to get a euro presskit? Not toooo expansive...

I agree with Amir0x. The narrative was fantastic, but I felt that the gameplay wore thin as it went on. I feel the same about the Uncharted games though, so take that as you will. I loved exploring the beautiful environments, and the writing, character work and voice acting is all top notch, I just know that the mechanics became more and more apparent as I went on, the hit the boss three times thing is a great example, and the more gamey it felt, the more that clashes up against the cinematic appeal.

Also, for a world that's been in this situation for 20 years, I feel like I must've killed off half the population of North America over the course of the game. I'd of preferred fewer encounters with more impact and resonance to each of them. Having to actually scavenge for food or supplies not just to keep my ammo and gadgets maxed out. I would've loved to have seen them try some new mechanics that go beyond shooting and stealth.

I'd love to see ND try their hand at episodic games. I think it would give them more leeway to experiment in fresh new gameplay directions, and also help with pacing issues.

Amir0x

Banned
I agree with Amir0x. The narrative was fantastic, but I felt that the gameplay wore thin as it went on. I feel the same about the Uncharted games though, so take that as you will. I loved exploring the beautiful environments, and the writing, character work and voice acting is all top notch, I just know that the mechanics became more and more apparent as I went on, the hit the boss three times thing is a great example, and the more gamey it felt, the more that clashes up against the cinematic appeal.

Also, for a world that's been in this situation for 20 years, I feel like I must've killed off half the population of North America over the course of the game. I'd of preferred fewer encounters with more impact and resonance to each of them. Having to actually scavenge for food or supplies not just to keep my ammo and gadgets maxed out. I would've loved to have seen them try some new mechanics that go beyond shooting and stealth.

I'd love to see ND try their hand at episodic games. I think it would give them more leeway to experiment in fresh new gameplay directions, and also help with pacing issues.

sup Domo! You been playing Xbox lately? I haven't been on for like eighteen years lol. Tell EUG7 I said "yo, sup, i love you too", he sent me a message, I got it, but as I can't send messages because I don't currently have access to XBL I couldn't write back

Anyway, I think that's actually a really smart idea at the end there. I think ND would do wonderful in an episodic structure. That said, I do love that they really went balls out on the content of a single player game (mainly), because I love my meaty experiences. Just wish they were a little bolder by the half way point of the game

If you're skipping most combat arenas, you won't run out as quickly. I was on hard (minus Listen mode) and I killed every single individual I could and I still had items left over at the end. I imagine on Survivor mode (which I'll be starting later this weekend) if you cut out some of the combat arenas it'd be really easy to dedicate your supplies to the few real encounters you MUST engage in.

You're going to end up with more supplies, especially ammo, if you're engaging in combat. That's half the point of making the engagement, whether you can get ammo from some of them

If you're going out of your way to kill enemies, you're not really going to struggle with ammo

Amir0x

Banned
You're going to end up with more supplies, especially ammo, if you're engaging in combat. That's half the point of making the engagement, whether you can get ammo from some of them

If you're going out of your way to kill enemies, you're not really going to struggle with ammo

why even shoot if you can just max out shiv and take people out piece by piece?

UrbanRats

I don't really feel like Amir0x about the game, infact, it was one of the few AAA games i finished without ever getting bored in the last few years.
Still, i'm looking forward to his opinions, always interesting to read.

Also, i used shivs just on clickers.
Why use shivs when you can simply chocke people?

Top Bottom