• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Get the season pass.

I'm not paying for content sight unseen... especially with the MP being so fucking bare bones to the point it's kind of insulting. I don't trust them.

We all supported the game buying it day/week 1 at full price. They should have put the feature on the damn disc.

khaaan

So I got to play a little bit of the game, haven't gotten very far. Jaw on the floor during that entire intro segment. I've gotten a bit past that, killed a few mans and had to call it quits for a couple hours. Can't wait to see what else the game has in store.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I'm not paying for content sight unseen... especially with the MP being so fucking bare bones to the point it's kind of insulting. I don't trust them.

We all supported the game buying it day/week 1 at full price. They should have put the feature on the damn disc.

Pretend you're buying the 1 1/2 hr documentary

Sean

Banned
... Yikes. Ok, maybe not for me. Thanks.

Survival is actually not that hard IMO. Especially since you'll already know the enemy routes and the AI behavior.

There's no listen mode but Ellie will sometimes whisper stuff like "guy behind us!" or "there's a guy up there on the roof!" and it'll highlight them briefly. And the game plays a little audio cue when you're visible to enemies which helps you be more stealthy.

The enemies being more powerful and you having less health doesn't really matter all that much since you'll be using stealth most of the time anyways and strangling them out. Ellie also sometimes finds health packs and gives it to you. And the checkpoints are always generous so you never lose much progress at all.

I think it's quite fun and worth a try.

If it makes you feel any better that was EASILY the hardest part of the game to me. I didn't find the game difficult otherwise.

It helps to go into the hallway. When I was in the open room it was very easy to get snagged by a clicker out of nowhere. When in the confined space David can stun enemies which helps line up a shot.

Yeah, it isn't something insane, but it still rubbed me as something from uncharted more than anything else. Only time I ever felt that, though.
Thanks that does make me feel better. I'll try your suggestion.

The drop out punishment is bullshit since sometimes games just get interrupted and everybody gets punished for it. I've had matches drop due to host and all of my survivors are now starving.

calder

How do we get ND to actually make that amazing start screen into a dynamic theme? I'd give them so, so much money. Slap a subtle "The Last of Us" in the bottom right corner, whip up a few custom icons and bang, $5 would seem a steal.

Finished...and WOW.

tumblr_majqpaoRj01r0livmo1_500.gif

I think the actual game design is getting overshadowed by the narrative (the narrative is so good though).

Really dig the stealth, I really love that audio cue as an indicator. Humans and Cordys have completely different approach, the humans have terrible hearing but good sight so you have to move in and out of cover fast but mushrooms require slow creeping.

The aiming mechanic works really well forcing really deliberate aiming, and the way cover and line of sight is always a factor but almost never in the way is really well done. Gunplay is super tense with some superb audio design around that.

In the end, as a game it feels like a mashup of Metal Gear Solid and a little Resident Evil running on Uncharted engine and storytelling. Actually I think the gameplay is way more like the western take on MGS than anything else, totally misleading billing it as survival horror IMO.

Took me 24:32 on hard...I have no idea why it took me so long.

Yeah, I don't like to blind buy the pass but with single player DLC included and the documentary being high quality, I didn't mind paying for the season pass.

Evolved1

Idk man... I know new IP is always a huge risk, but the more I play this game the more I hope ND keeps taking risks.

Also... I really really want Savage Starlight to be an actual thing, even though I know the chances are slim to nil.

Can you imagine ND doing action-y space exploration / combat with an satirical adult tone?

I can.

DO NOT READ CRAZY'S POST TWO BELOW MINE --- MASSIVE SPOILERS

Mikey Jr.

By the end of the game, I was emotionally drained.

An amazing experience to say the least. One of the best games I have played in a while, and want to start new game plus on survivor, but I think I need some time to recharge.

This game definitely is worthy of all the praise it gets.

Glad I got it on PSN so I give Sony and ND as much monies as possible.

Jarmel

Banned
Idk man... I know new IP is always a huge risk, but the more I play this game the more I hope ND keeps taking risks.

Also... I really really want Savage Starlight to be an actual thing, even though I know the chances are slim to nil.

Can you imagine ND doing action-y space exploration / combat with an satirical adult tone?

I can.

I would kill for Naughty Dog to do a scifi game. The zero-G segments would be flat out amazing.

Evolved1

I would kill for Naughty Dog to do a scifi game. The zero-G segments would be flat out amazing.

I bet they would have cool space combat too.

I would love for it to be in the comic book style... kind of how Ni No Kuni was so faithful to its source material.

Would love to play a comic book come to life. lol

TTG

Hit what feels like the first of the really open, big encounters in the game. Second large city, at a checkpoint/bookstore against humans, I think that's enough of a nondescript description of it to not be spoiler... Anyway, I've been going at it for half an hour or so. Some things I've noticed:

1. I have the listener mode(or whatever it's called) off, so maybe that's part of the issue, but really, I have no auditory feedback for where the enemies are. They are literally stumbling into me as they patrol, I swear I can only hear Ellie. This is a problem, there are open areas with multiple flanks, so while I know I'm careful enough to not stay out in the open for enemies to see me at medium to long distance, short range stinks. This is probably responsible for a majority of the reloads I keep doing.

2. They have the ammo conservation, melee and gun play balanced just right. More on that later, but it really is working well.

3. Holy glitchiness. I have a really high tolerance for this stuff. But, in the last half hour I've been stuck inside geometry, seen an enemy fall straight through the world, have had AI ignore me as they sprint past me, notice me through cover I'm leaning against... yeesh.

Back with more impressions once I get past this hurdle. It's the first time the game has thrown like over a dozen guys at me as well.

Jarmel

Banned
I bet they would have cool space combat too.

I would love for it to be in the comic book style... kind of how Ni No Kuni was so faithful to its source material.

Would love to play a comic book come to life. lol

I would love to see them do a big scifi epic just to put Bioware to shame. I would definitely be more linear but if the other stuff would be top notch. If they had immersion close to TLOU then I would shit my pants.

Mikey Jr.

You know, people are saying they want a new IP, but honestly, I don't think I'm ready to leave this world.
Now, would I like more Ellie and Joel? Sure! Do I think its possible to make another game with them? Ehhh.....that is one thing I am not sure about.

Evolved1

You know, people are saying they want a new IP, but honestly, I don't think I'm ready to leave this world.
Now, would I like more Ellie and Joel? Sure! Do I think its possible to make another game with them? Ehhh.....that is one thing I am not sure about.

I want them to take what they've learned on TLoU and swing for the fences again with a new IP.

Joel's animation is so incredible... and not at the expense of controls, he controls awesome! I want to see it expanded upon in a new context. Imagine shooting lasers and shit with the same heavy/weighty combat in a space setting.

Bioware would have to go hide behind a table from being shamed...

It doesn't have to be space though... that was just an example. I hope they do whatever they find inspiring and challenging, creatively. Just keep pushing. Every time they swing for the fences they hit home runs.

Crash
Jak and Daxter
Uncharted
The Last of Us

Keep swinging dudes... you folks are amazing.

Finished...and WOW.

I think the actual game design is getting overshadowed by the narrative (the narrative is so good though).

Really dig the stealth, I really love that audio cue as an indicator. Humans and Cordys have completely different approach, the humans have terrible hearing but good sight so you have to move in and out of cover fast but mushrooms require slow creeping.

The aiming mechanic works really well forcing really deliberate aiming, and the way cover and line of sight is always a factor but almost never in the way is really well done. Gunplay is super tense with some superb audio design around that.

In the end, as a game it feels like a mashup of Metal Gear Solid and a little Resident Evil running on Uncharted engine and storytelling. Actually I think the gameplay is way more like the western take on MGS than anything else, totally misleading billing it as survival horror IMO.

Took me 24:32 on hard...I have no idea why it took me so long.

That is a pretty good description.

As for taking so long, I'm spending a lot of time just looking around. They've created such a rich, detailed world ripe for exploration. Seems a waste not to take it all in.

Mikey Jr.

I want them to take what they've learned on TLoU and swing for the fences again with a new IP.

Joel's animation is so incredible... and not at the expense of controls, he controls awesome! I want to see it expanded upon in a new context. Imagine shooting lasers and shit with the same heavy/weighty combat in a space setting.

Bioware would have to go hide behind a table from being shamed...

It doesn't have to be space though... that was just an example. I hope they do whatever they find inspiring and challenging, creatively. Just keep pushing. Every time they swing for the fences they hit home runs.

Crash
Jak and Daxter
Uncharted
The Last of Us

Keep swinging dudes... you folks are amazing.

Except the sequels for those games are WAY better than their predecessor.

Yawnier

Banned
It is so weird personally, but at the same time beyond awesome seeing ND being the developer of Crash Bandicoot in the late 90s to making more mature games like this.

Especially considering many other studios that made games that were of similar genre and quality back then, have taken a leap off the deep end IMO while Naughty Dog just keeps on delivering on game after game, and series after series after all these years.

Evolved1

Except the sequels for those games are WAY better than their predecessor.

I have little doubt we'll see another TLoU, especially with it selling gangbusters.

But I hope the other team is also working a new IP... and not Recharted.

Fresh copy of The Last of Us - check
7.1 Pulse wireless headset with bass - check
Girlfriend is out of town and nothing to do on a Friday night - check
Ready to pull an all nighter on a game for the first time since college days - check

:)

imBask

Banned
i'm almost done with the game and seriously the overhype of this game is ridiculous. it's a game with LOTS of bugs, terrible AI, but a great story

Dragon

Banned
i'm almost done with the game and seriously the overhype of this game is ridiculous. it's a game with LOTS of bugs, terrible AI, but a great story

The AI is definitely not terrible on hard with listen mode off. I die way too often. I haven't run into any glitches but have been hearing about them in the thread. Unless you count this game killing my 20 GB Phat. :(

Amir0x

Banned
Fresh copy of The Last of Us - check
7.1 Pulse wireless headset with bass - check
Girlfriend is out of town and nothing to do on a Friday night - check
Ready to pull an all nighter on a game for the first time since college days - check

:)

The Pulse Headset literally transforms the game. The sound design in this game is just so insanely good it's hard not to gush about it

Hmm... my PS3 (non-ugly SLIM) is having trouble with the cutscene that they showed in a trailer quite awhile back. Where Joel and Ellie were driving through town in a truck.
The screen intermittently blacks out and sometimes pixelates, but the audio usually plays fine. I've restarted it three times and it does it every time during that cutscene.

Amir0x

Banned
texture loading glitch everywhere, weird collision glitches everywhere, weird ennemy spawns, NPCs running around in front of ennemies... meh

the last is not a "glitch" but a game design choice they made so that the A.I. didn't annoy gamers by constantly getting caught

of course this begs the question: can any developer design A.I. that isn't at risk of constantly getting caught so easily? Maybe next-gen, tsc tsc.

imBask

Banned
the last is not a "glitch" but a game design choice they made so that the A.I. didn't annoy gamers by constantly getting caught

of course this begs the question: can any developer design A.I. that isn't at risk of constantly getting caught so easily? Maybe next-gen, tsc tsc.

I get the decision but they're still annoying. Ellie often got between me and an ennemy during close-combat, pushing the ennemy away...

Ashes

Banned
texture loading glitch everywhere, weird collision glitches everywhere, weird ennemy spawns, NPCs running around in front of ennemies... meh

It was kinda awful during the first day, when we lost saves of around 4 hours [ some people even more]. The save glitch was thankfully fixed.

Still, this game is kinda alright, wouldn't ya say? It's not to bad for a game. Overhyped games usually make me dislike it all the more. Halos and gears and to some extent killzone really irks me. But this kinda didn't.

There's a whole lot of good stuff underneath.

Well, your opinion is as good as mine anyway. At least you gave it a good shake.

Dragon

Banned
I get the decision but they're still annoying. Ellie often got between me and an ennemy during close-combat, pushing the ennemy away...

What would you expect if this happened in real life? For a 14 year old girl to know what to do in these situations? If anything that part is more realistic.

Gorillaz

It is so weird personally, but at the same time beyond awesome seeing ND being the developer of Crash Bandicoot in the late 90s to making more mature games like this.

Especially considering many other studios that made games that were of similar genre and quality back then, have taken a leap off the deep end IMO while Naughty Dog just keeps on delivering on game after game, and series after series after all these years.

It ain't the same ND that made crash tho...the "old guard" left a little while ago but there is still a nice chunk of them that has been there since PS2 days

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What would you expect if this happened in real life? For a 14 year old girl to know what to do in these situations? If anything that part is more realistic.

Er, considering Ellie is actually very quick and the story shows she knows how to deal with this, there's nothing to say to say the AI getting in the way is acceptable.

Luckily it cropped up much less as I got farther in, but she did get me killed a few times when I tried to quickly turn back and hide.

As for taking so long, I'm spending a lot of time just looking around. They've created such a rich, detailed world ripe for exploration. Seems a waste not to take it all in.

It's amazing how they basically didn't cut a single corner on the environments. I don't think I saw a single half assed texture, and I was checking out obscure corners just to see what was there.

They really just needed to make your companions not sprint if you are crouching and that probably would have faked it well enough. It would eat up so much CPU resource to get that really right, I'm not sure a truly stealthy buddy a.i. is worth it.

imBask

Banned

I wouldn't consider her "hiding" in the middle of the hallway, so much for the realism

Top Bottom