• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

MMaRsu

You know this is illegal, right?

Ehm ok my bad. It was up on youtube and my flash player is kinda broken so that's why I downloaded it to watch it during dinner, great documentary. I won't upload it if it's illegal I just wanted to help a gaffer out.

Chapter 9/Winter spoilers:
I just completed the David and Ellie part where you have to defend the room from all the infected (including a bloater) without losing health using only 1 bullet and 1 molotav. Fuck yeah.

Just finished up the Hotel section on my Survivor run (my maiden run was on Normal) and it's great, as I actually know what I'm doing, but it's also sapped of a lot of the fun that comes with being fully stocked up and more haphazard/spontaneous. Seriously, you can go for hours without crafting a thing. Is Hard significantly more lenient?

The positive impressions of the Pulse headset has gotten me wanting to buy pair for my second playthrough.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't work on the PS4?

DatDude

Banned
Just finished up the Hotel section on my Survivor run (my maiden run was on Normal) and it's great, as I actually know what I'm doing, but it's also sapped of a lot of the fun that comes with being fully stocked up and more haphazard/spontaneous. Seriously, you can go for hours without crafting a thing. Is Hard significantly more lenient?

sort of, but yeah

Phatmac

Love the pacing and art style for the game. This is way more appealing to me then Uncharted. Naughty Dog just keeps getting better!

MMaRsu

Chapter 9/Winter spoilers:
I just completed the David and Ellie part where you have to defend the room from all the infected (including a bloater) without losing health using only 1 bullet and 1 molotav. Fuck yeah.

On what difficulty? That was the only room I had real troubles with on hard.

Jb

Holy shit
David
is played by Nolan North?! I never would have made the connection in a million years. Mind fucking blown.

iNvid02

Holy shit
David
is played by Nolan North?! I never would have made the connection in a million years. Mind fucking blown.

yeah it's quite the revelation, only realized after seeing him pop up in the credits. he shows you how he came up with it in the making of documentary, sounded like he had it stored in there ready to unleash it one day.

Alright GAF just asking - have you ever encountered a scenario pulled from the last E3 demos? Like:

• AI flanking and bashing your head on the table while aiming.
  • AI smacking you at the face (with a plank) choking you down while blood streams out of your nose.
  • Wrestling the weapon from the AI by taking him surprise.

I really really want to know if this is possible to pull off because I've been tirelessly trying to replicate that E3 scenario. Is it removed? If so, what a bummer.

Were you just using arrows, then?

No, didn't use arrows. I stabbed everyone in the back.

I realized the enemies don't even need to be stunned in order to one hit kill them with Ellie's knife, they just need to be distracted or even just not facing you. Run up to their backside and attack and they die. So basically I would run around the room and wait for enemies to go after David and stab those guys in the back, rinse and repeat. I used the molotav and the rifle bullet on the bloater because... well there's no other way to kill the bloater.

On what difficulty? That was the only room I had real troubles with on hard.

Survivor. Forgot to mention that.

Alright GAF just asking - have you ever encountered a scenario pulled from the last E3 demos? Like:

• AI smacking you at the face (with a plank) choking you down while blood streams out of your nose.

I really really want to know if this is possible to pull off because I've been tirelessly trying to replicate that E3 scenario. Is it removed? If so, what a bummer.

Noticed the differences with the E3 demo as well, but I guess that's common for E3 demo's. Most of the time they're specifically designed set pieces optimized for showing it to the public. I noticed Ellie and the bandits are also a lot more talkative in that demo compared to the real game.

I realized the enemies don't even need to be stunned in order to one hit kill them with Ellie's knife, they just need to be distracted or even just not facing you. Run up to their backside and attack and they die. So basically I would run around the room and wait for enemies to go after David and stab those guys in the back, rinse and repeat. I used the molotav and the rifle bullet on the bloater because... well there's no other way to kill the bloater.

Survivor. Forgot to mention that.

Thank you.

Superflat

I had such a hard time with that part on Survivor. That's a cool tip!

'The Last of Us' Has The Biggest Launch Of The Year With 1.3M Sold

Grain of salt. Ehhh Forbes is quoting a banned site =/

If that turns out to even be close to true, holy shit!

dyergram

No but I totally saw the enemy lying on his back begging not to have his brans blown out.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
SamuraiX- said:
This was fantastic.

Thanks for posting. :)

I very rarely use "best ever" as a superlative, but I quite honestly can't think of any other game ever with sound design as good as TLOU.

The attention to detail and nuance in every aspect is as good as anything in mainstream film, it really is a remarkable job.

Superflat

I remember being in a deadlocked engagement where I swung my pipe at him, and he blocked, which was pretty similar to the wrestling bit. I've never had a point where AI did the things you mentioned like choking me down at the same engle as E3 or knocking my head into a table, but there have been multiple times where Ellie would spontaneously help me out pretty much exactly like in the demo. Also, in my playthroughs, so much of my human kills were stealthed that I haven't really had many opportunities to be flanked while crouching, doing that much hand-to-hand up front.

Watching the demo now that I played the game, it's pretty cool. I remember wondering how all the mechanics worked and what would stick around in the final product, like holding a guy hostage, the hostage wriggling around and throwing off your aim, enemies that flank you by waiting for you by the door, Ellie helping you, etc.

I miss the revolver from the E3 demo. I love the snubnose but that gun looked intense and more powerful.

No but I totally saw the enemy lying on his back begging not to have his brans blown out.

I remember being in a deadlocked engagement where I swung my pipe at him, and he blocked, which was pretty similar to the wrestling bit. I've never had a point where AI did the things you mentioned like choking me down at the same engle as E3 or knocking my head into a table, but there have been multiple times where Ellie would spontaneously help me out pretty much exactly like in the demo. Also, in my playthroughs, so much of my human kills were stealthed that I haven't really had many opportunities to be flanked while crouching, doing that much hand-to-hand up front.

I miss the revolver from the E3 demo. I love the snubnose but that gun looked intense and more powerful.

Yeah, I got these scenarios. But that would mean the E3 demo was a matter of false advertising, implementing AI situations that are eventually removed from the final game. I'm surprised nobody calls them out for this, it's disappointing. Wrestling a weapon out of their hand would definitely introduce intense scenarios where "anything" could happen. Maybe it's still there and we don't know how to pull it off, I might try again with survivor and see if there are any changes.

Perhaps they decided it didn't really work. They talk about that kind of stuff in the Making Of documentary.

I'm very happy with what we ended up with, so you won't hear me complain.

Superflat

Yeah, I got these scenarios. But that would mean the E3 demo was a matter of false advertising, implementing AI situations that are eventually removed from the final game. I'm surprised nobody calls them out for this, it's disappointing. Wrestling a weapon out of their hand would definitely introduce intense scenarios where "anything" could happen. Maybe it's still there and we don't know how to pull it off, I might try again with survivor and see if there are any changes.

Yea, it's a bummer I couldn't experience those specific things first hand, but I can understand if they had to strip it down more for gameplay reasons. On the other hand, there are a few crazy scenarios people have been posting that I never ran into on my playthroughs, so that's pretty exciting.

Mik2121

Finally got the chance to spend some time with this game. Just met the Runners. Not fair.

Yep, same here. Just started playing and I'm on that destroyed building near the beginning (the huge building) and there's a bunch of runners and a clicker that's messing with me a lot... :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I got distracted a bit during a cutscene and missed a part of a conversation. It's not a cinematic so I can't view in the gallery. It's nothing too important and I got the gist of it based on later events, but if someone can summarize the lines I'd appreciate it.

Beginning of Winter chapter:
When Ellie meets the two guys after hunting, and after I team up with one and clear everyone. He starts talking over the fire... a conversation that ends with Ellie aiming at him and his friend who came back with the meds. I realize that they're actually hunters and bluffing about the women and children they have back at the camp, but what exactly did this guy say over the fire that made Ellie suspicious?

Majmun

I got distracted a bit during a cutscene and missed a part of a conversation. It's not a cinematic so I can't view in the gallery. It's nothing too important and I got the gist of it based on later events, but if someone can summarize the lines I'd appreciate it.

When Ellie meets the two guys after hunting, and after I team up with one and clear everyone. He starts talking over the fire... a conversation that ends with Ellie aiming at him and his friend who came back with the meds. I realize that they're actually hunters and bluffing about the women and children they have back at the camp, but what exactly did this guy say over the fire that made Ellie suspicious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hJEN5r8vo

The whole convo starts around the 16:50 mark

I-hate-u

Basically
David sent the hunters that Joel and Ellie killed in the University. He says that they were slaughtered by a crazy man travelling with a little girl

David was telling Ellie a story about how he sends out his men to go gather food/hunt, and some of his men will always get killed by a "crazy man and a little girl". Ellie gets startled by this and points the rifle at him.

Edit: Beaten like Clicker.

OwlyKnees

Ah, man. You missed one of the best conversations in the game!

Anson225

I love how right after you get
rescued from drowning
, there is a whole stack of notes from
Ish
scattered around the whole chapter. it makes the whole
sewer
experience feels SO MUCH more alive. top notch

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Superflat said:

I only saw a lot of the more interesting behaviours on NG+, I've had several versions of the "begging for life" animation, only once got the counter/block thing with the Triangle prompt though as that seems to be very timing/melee weapon dependent.

Biggest difference I noticed though on NG+ was Ellie being a lot more aggressive about interceding in fights; doing stabs, back-grabs, brick tosses and shouting out warnings when I was being flanked etc.

I started to wonder if Ellie's AI was somehow influenced by Joel's survival skill upgrades,as I was largely maxed when a lot of the new stuff occurred.

Dunno if Arne can confirm or deny this to be the case.

Guys how the hell did the Scavenger trophy just pop in my game when I DO NOT have all the collectables? I am missing one comic book and I also do not have all firefly pendants.

Damn glitched trophies... I hope the other ones pop when I find the last stuff

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just finished Winter.
Some very powerful performances. I really felt for Ellie at the end when she finally got hold of the knife.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Winter is overwhelming. Poor everyone.
7mnTM2N.png

Top Bottom