• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Mikey Jr.

I have little doubt we'll see another TLoU, especially with it selling gangbusters.

But I hope the other team is also working a new IP... and not Recharted.

New IP's are a huge financial risk. I am not sure we are going to see another IP so easily.

But then again, the last thing you want to do is force ND to do something they dont want.

I'm having a lot of problems. Final quarter of the game.

I'm Elle just after she falls on a walkway down to the ground, in an abandoned mill. There are a bunch of clickers and I swear to god they can see me or something because even though I'm sneaking very slowly they keep running at me and getting me. I've never had this issue with Joel. It's really really frustrating.

Did I miss something? Are these the same clickers I've seen before because they're not acting like it.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, the whole ally actually bumping into and shoving clickers really just makes me laugh and sad at same time.

I'm Elle just after she falls on a walkway down to the ground, in an abandoned mill. There are a bunch of clickers and I swear to god they can see me or something because even though I'm sneaking very slowly they keep running at me and getting me. I've never had this issue with Joel. It's really really frustrating.

Did I miss something? Are these the same clickers I've seen before because they're not acting like it.
How close are you to them? If you touch them are very close to them, that counts as them detecting them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just beat the game. Absolutely brilliant. Bravo, ND. I think this may be my new favorite game of the generation before UC2, inFAMOUS 2, and Ratchet A Crack In Time. Now onto the spoiler thread.

Wow. What an experience.

UrbanRats

I think your best shot is to
simply brick their face and stab them while they're stumbling.
It should work if you get them one at a time, getting them to separate from each other.

You have infinite shivs with Ellie, take advantage of that.

If you sneak up and kill the clicker stealthy make sure the other ones are not in sight because the noice of it is too loud. Do it around a corner or with a wall in between, or run away instantly behind a corner and stand still so they can't localize you

Duffyside

Banned
Survival is actually not that hard IMO. Especially since you'll already know the enemy routes and the AI behavior.

There's no listen mode but Ellie will sometimes whisper stuff like "guy behind us!" or "there's a guy up there on the roof!" and it'll highlight them briefly. And the game plays a little audio cue when you're visible to enemies which helps you be more stealthy.

The enemies being more powerful and you having less health doesn't really matter all that much since you'll be using stealth most of the time anyways and strangling them out. Ellie also sometimes finds health packs and gives it to you. And the checkpoints are always generous so you never lose much progress at all.

I think it's quite fun and worth a try.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. My decision may hinge on the answer to this though: if I start a Survival game, and I don't like playing it, can I quit and start a Hard New Game +, or will that wipe out my progress? May seem like an obvious answer, but after Bioshock Infinite's betrayalton I can not be too careful.

Duffyside

Banned

I didn't kill any of the clickers here, just so you know you have some options. Er... I may have killed the first one you see with an arrow, I don't remember.

Anyway, you maybe are pressing all the way forward with the analogue stick while crouching? They can hear that pretty well. You need to have a very feathery touch while crouching in this area (probably due to the echoey surroundings?). Also, distract them with bricks or bottles, and make them move away from you.

Luckily for you, this part, which frustrated me as well, is actually really short. Once you get a plan of attack you want to use, you'll be able to get out of there in under a minute.

GulAtiCa

Ok, thanks for the feedback. My decision may hinge on the answer to this though: if I start a Survival game, and I don't like playing it, can I quit and start a Hard New Game +, or will that wipe out my progress? May seem like an obvious answer, but after Bioshock Infinite's betrayalton I can not be too careful.

Just don't override your previous game save, and you will be fine. Anytime you wish to do a NG+ off a previous save, load the old one up and then hit new game plus.

btw: NG+ can only be used on the difficulty it was beaten on or lower. so if you beat it on Hard originally, you can't do Survival. Same goes for Normal/Easy, can't go above.

And yeah, Survival is challenging, but not real difficult. Basically means you spend most of the time stealthing instead of using your guns.

pa22word

Does anyone know if they plan on releasing a vol. 2 ost for the game? I bought the ost and have been listening to it periodically over the last week, and I am noticing that the ost seems to be missing some of the really great ambient "sneaking" music. It's really a shame as some of those are the best tracks in the game =\

Going from loving the game to hating it all in the final act. It's like they just decided to make everything 10x harder and throw in 10x more enemies in every single encounter. Very frustrating, not much fun and I'm starting to care less and less about the story as I replay the same sequences over and over.

nib95

Banned
Going from loving the game to hating it all in the final act. It's like they just decided to make everything 10x harder and throw in 10x more enemies in every single encounter. Very frustrating, not much fun and I'm starting to care less and less about the story as I replay the same sequences over and over.

Really? No point in the game was really that much harder than the rest imo. A couple of places where there were bloaters etc I managed to deal with pretty swiftly using saved up molotovs and nail bombs.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Half way through Pittsburgh, looked up a guide, and I'm not even halfway through the game?

FUCKYES

It's bloody amazing how Naughty Dog made this game so damn long and so damn good in this time and age where 8 hour games are pretty much the norm.

This game is refreshing on so many fronts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Switch to easy?

DatDude

Banned

stealth is your friend[

ZeroRay

Finally really getting into the game.

Initially felt a tinge of disappointment as the early level design felt like Uncharted in the sense that you go through a linear path and finally get past an obstacle with no way of backtracking.

After finishing the
Pittsburrgh Hotel
, I feel while the kind of design I mentioned is still the same, the fact that the levels opened up considerably which really shows off the AI in combat as well as offering you a multitude of strategies finally gave me what I hoped for in this.

And I hear it just gets better from there which is mind blowing.

Gorillaz

Most of the part he's on you can't stealth. I similarly thought it was a crazy difficulty hike out of nowhere.

Also praise the lawd, we have a spoiler button.

I thought so too until I saw 2 different videos where a guy literally stealth ed and run through that level within 2 mins. I shit you not. It actually got me angry because I was so bent on taking out each person 1 by 1

Wow.
The whole Massachusetts State House part. RIP Tess. Afterwards, when Ellie goes walking through the woods and makes those comments about it, it was my first real feeling of how she had never been truly outdoors before and was a person born after The Fall and kept walled in for all 14 years of her life.
Human enemies are definitely making me rethink combat compared to how I usually fought them in Uncharted. Quite refreshing to be honest.

You know, people are saying they want a new IP, but honestly, I don't think I'm ready to leave this world.
Now, would I like more Ellie and Joel? Sure! Do I think its possible to make another game with them? Ehhh.....that is one thing I am not sure about.
Joel can probably leave, his character arc are finished, he found his redemption/goal/humanity back with Ellie and he can be the same person till he dies of natural causes or maybe killed saving Ellie or something.

Ellie however is still young and have lots of story potential left to tell. I dont want ND to start from zero and make completely separate story again for LoU2. Ellie is too good of a character to be dumped like that after just 1 game. I imagine LoU series to basically be her story. I want older Ellie to be the main character in the sequel.

Mystery

Okay, so I accidentally started the game on Normal. After about 20 minutes, I realized my mistake and switched to Hard, and completed the game on Hard, but I only received credit for completing the game on Normal. In order to get my trophy and New Game+ on Hard, do I have to beat the whole thing over again?

God, I'm an idiot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought so too until I saw 2 different videos where a guy literally stealth ed and run through that level within 2 mins. I shit you not. It actually got me angry because I was so bent on taking out each person 1 by 1

Nah not that.
The infected attack on you and david.

JLeack

Banned
I have to admit that this is the first time I've been upset with reviewers. Playing the game I feel like there are so many amazing qualities that are undeniable. The fact that someone gave it a 60% and another a 75% seems unfathomable to me. Truthfully, it's incredibly irresponsible of them in my opinion.

This game is straight up RAW.

Gonna start streaming my 4th playthrough on Ustream as is twitch is down. Link for those are interested. Survival Mode, no sound vision bullshit. Gonna start it from the beginning in about 10 mins.

Halfway through my survival run. Shit is tense as fuck. The game is super stingy with materials as well - one shiv door had like two revolver bullets and 5 supplements lol. Combat isn't necessarily tougher though, since I now know all the combat quirks and use them to my advantage. Platinum ahoy!

Also, I really hate the High School sneaking part.

darkwing

wow, after an experience in the game maybe halfway through, I have to put down my controller and rest for a bit, dem feels

I don't want the game to end

TheCloser

Banned
I just got the game today and I've been playing for a bit. This game is so intense that I think it could cause a heart attack. I decided to take a break for a few hours. I would say that I'm Sh**ing bricks but I've run out of bricks. I'm just drained. Good game and good story so far.

katkombat

Banned

SERIOUSLY

FUCKING SERIOUSLY

I DIED THE MOST AT THESE PARTS TOO

SERIOUSLY

FUCKING SERIOUSLY

I DIED THE MOST AT THESE PARTS TOO

People need to remember that stealth in this game doesn't work like in Metal Gear. Just because you are spotted doesn't mean that they will all hone in to you throughout the level, just get out of the area where you are in, and out of their line of vision.

Okay, so I accidentally started the game on Normal. After about 20 minutes, I realized my mistake and switched to Hard, and completed the game on Hard, but I only received credit for completing the game on Normal. In order to get my trophy and New Game+ on Hard, do I have to beat the whole thing over again?

God, I'm an idiot.

If it's like the Uncharted games then you can probably just replay the first chapter on hard (or how much your first 20 minutes was) and it should net you the hard trophy.

Jaroof

Just finished the game a little while ago.
slow-clap-gif.gif

Holy shit... Bravo, Naughty Dog. Bravo.

TDSpartan

Neo Member
One of the best games I have ever played. Only time and repeated playthroughs will tell if it ends up topping RE4, but god damn. Naughty Dog are the best in the business.

Jaroof

One of the best games I have ever played. Only time and repeated playthroughs will tell if it ends up topping RE4, but god damn. Naughty Dog are the best in the business.

Seriously.
While I was playing through this game, my brother refused to let me go on if he wasn't there. He usually doesn't care when I'm playing through a game's story mode, but with this game, we were both completely attached to it.

Top Bottom