• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Stoffinator

Alright GAF just asking - have you ever encountered a scenario pulled from the last E3 demos? Like:

• AI flanking and bashing your head on the table while aiming.
  • AI smacking you at the face (with a plank) choking you down while blood streams out of your nose.
  • Wrestling the weapon from the AI by taking him surprise.

I really really want to know if this is possible to pull off because I've been tirelessly trying to replicate that E3 scenario. Is it removed? If so, what a bummer.

1: I did have a guy come up behind me while shooting another guy and gave me a push. But didn't push my head into anything. This was the scene with the truck/shop.

2: I did have one AI in the Hotel attack me with a melee weapon which knocked me down. But than he stood there waiting for me to get back up. :-\

3: Nope, never seen that. But did have one guy beg me not to shoot him with my shotty. He was the last guy left in the room.

I'm being really stupid right now. How do you download the 90 minute Documentary? I've just purchased the season pass.

It is under the Bonus section. DLC I believe. You do have to download it from the PSStore. So be ready to download 3 and half gigs.

Yeah, I got these scenarios. But that would mean the E3 demo was a matter of false advertising, implementing AI situations that are eventually removed from the final game. I'm surprised nobody calls them out for this, it's disappointing. Wrestling a weapon out of their hand would definitely introduce intense scenarios where "anything" could happen. Maybe it's still there and we don't know how to pull it off, I might try again with survivor and see if there are any changes.

It's not false advertising. I'm not sure they are the same, when one is shown during a "press conference." There is definitely difference. I'd say that what was shown at the E3 unveil, is about 85% in the game proper which is much better than most e3 unveils. Halo 2 anyone?

1: I did have a guy come up behind me while shooting another guy and gave me a push. But didn't push my head into anything. This was the scene with the truck/shop.

2: I did have one AI in the Hotel attack me with a melee weapon which knocked me down. But than he stood there waiting for me to get back up. :-\

3: Nope, never seen that. But did have one guy beg me not to shoot him with my shotty. He was the last guy left in the room.

Looks like I've seen all that as well. I'm currently playing on "hard" mode. I would really like a comparison between Easy through survival to see if the AI changes reaction.

I just beat it!

off to the spoiler thread. I liked the ending. It'll do. I see why a lot of people didn't though.

last section: Why is my stealth execution in a dark lit area alarming the other guards? I had to play that level as a full out shooter, and judging by the room of guns and ammo ND gives you it seems that's their intention.

Anyway, I get it now. Ellie is amazing. The story was great. I still wouldn't say it's a perfect/unbelievable GAME, but it's an unbelievable experience. I think there's a big difference there.

Just completed the final section of the game on Survivor +

After having saved resources for the entire game, restarting checkpoints every time I lost health, killing every enemy with stealth and only using ammo when I absolutely had to, I went all out in the hospital throwing bombs, molotavs, killing dudes with my shotgun, using all the health kits and materials I had saved up... made it all infinitely less stressful than it was on my first play through lol

Gawge

Just finished the game.

Absolutely brilliant game. Really gets you emotionally involved, the moments that really hit was at the end of winter, particularly when Ellie says "He was gonna..." or something. Also, those moments when you didn't know what happened to Joel/Ellie, damn.

In the hospital section, I ran for it at a couple of points. When you get to the doors, Joel seals them up behind him. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with every enemy.

Mikey Jr.

Alright GAF just asking - have you ever encountered a scenario pulled from the last E3 demos? Like:

• AI flanking and bashing your head on the table while aiming.
  • AI smacking you at the face (with a plank) choking you down while blood streams out of your nose.
  • Wrestling the weapon from the AI by taking him surprise.

I really really want to know if this is possible to pull off because I've been tirelessly trying to replicate that E3 scenario. Is it removed? If so, what a bummer.

None of that happened to me.

I think that demo was massaged a bit, especially near the end.

The guy on the ground begging for his life did happen to me though. It was pretty awesome for an NPC to be there, on the ground, pleading with me.

Also, is there a video of failed QTE's? Really interested in seeing all the ways Joel can die.

FuFSi2k.jpg

:/

raindoc

So I collected all Artifacts, Pendants, Comics, Tools & Training Manuals... but apparently I missed two Shiv-doors (Stats say 11, I hear there's 13).
Any easy way to find out which ones I'm missing?

Got to chapter 4 in my first playthrough. Really good game so far. I really like how it has the right balance between infected and human enemies. The graphics are amazing considering it's a PS3 game.

My only complain so far is that guns feel underpowered. Hopefully after a couple of upgrades they will feel more useful. Other than that I'm eager to keep playing, and the game is actually as good as people say it is.

Mikey Jr.

I love how this game can be broken into episodes, and it would totally work.

Each season would leave you just wanting the next fucking season so badly.

tassletine

In the making of at around the 59 minute mark, a developer says that they will get Team Ico to take a look at a problem.
Did they help out on the game? Or am I mishearing things? She could be saying "To Michael".

Neiteio

Jeez, I played from 10:30 last night to 4 in the morning. I'm in winter --
Ellie is being held captive by David, so now I'm controlling Joel again
. INTENSE.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I cannot believe how good this game is becoming. Still working through it and just made it to Winter. The Campus stuff? Absolutely incredible. The whole thing. One of the most riveting overall sections I've experienced in a game ever.

This game just keeps getting better and better yet continues with more and more content. When I first left Pittsburgh it felt as if the game was heading towards a conclusion somehow but, nope, there's so much more there.

The first couple of hours were definitely the weakest (outside of the intro) but once you make it into the game is really takes off.

Neiteio

It feels borderline criminal this is only on one system. This is definitely one of (if not THE) strongest and most cohesive story-and-gameplay-driven experiences around.

I think I'm not going to replay the game after I finish it. This game is not only too scary (yes I'm a giant sissy), but a bit depressing, too.

I really wish this game didn't have the whole infected angle. I would've prefered the 'only humans' angle. I just finished the part where
you're alone in the dark trying to find the keycard. I was literally scared as shit walking through each room and hallway, and I had the damn light on in my room! Thank god I wasn't forced to fight that giant enemy from the high school. I just ran to the door, swiped the card, and got the hell out.

I think I'm not going to replay the game after I finish it. This game is not only too scary (yes I'm a giant sissy), but a bit depressing, too.

I really wish this game didn't have the whole infected angle. I would've prefered the 'only humans' angle. I just finished the part where
you're alone in the dark trying to find the keycard. I was literally scared as shit walking through each room and hallway, and I had the damn light on in my room! Thank god I wasn't forced to fight that giant enemy from the high school. I just ran to the door, swiped the card, and got the hell out.

made me smile - did the same thing :) . that section was seriously nasty...

The particle effects of the
spores thrown at you by a bloater
are really fantastic looking.

You guys weren't kidding about the insane visual jump either

Amir0x

Banned
heh for some reason when I passed the graffiti very early on the game that said
"This is not Living"
I thought of the
defunct Sony PS3 ad campaign "This is Living."
I giggled to myself at the thought that it was a joke about that even though it probably wasn't.

Anyway, I get it now. Ellie is amazing. The story was great...

i think ellie flat-out out-lara-ed cd's 'new' lara. everything cd wanted you to feel about young lara, you almost spontaneously/effortlessly feel about ellie. that she's just a part of the whole i think makes it even more of an accomplishment...

Sorian

Banned
heh for some reason when I passed the graffiti very early on the game that said
"This is not Living"
I thought of the
defunct Sony PS3 ad campaign "This is Living."
I giggled to myself at the thought that it was a joke about that even though it probably wasn't.

I was out of town, so I haven't been following this thread to closely. Have you beaten it yet? And what is/was your play time?

Amir0x

Banned
I was out of town, so I haven't been following this thread to closely. Have you beaten it yet? And what is/was your play time?

I beat it on Hard/No Listen Mode Thursday night. My play time was like 52 hours or something. I was starting to rush as I got to the end because the game started to bore me.

I am still putting together my thoughts, but I think it is a pretty decent game. I have major reservations which everyone will see at length soon I'm sure :)

Easy_G

A neat AI behavior I noticed in the spring chapter:
When you encounter the infected and two bloaters in the tunnel area, I used molotovs to hit both bloaters at once. One died, but the second survived and then threw several spore bombs at the remaining fire to put it out and finally went back once it was gone. I assume that was his intention and not that it thought I was there. I was nowhere near it.

The Lamp

It feels borderline criminal this is only on one system. This is definitely one of (if not THE) strongest and most cohesive story-and-gameplay-driven experiences around.

I watched the documentary. The amount of attention they had to pay to resources in every scene to keep the performance up was insane. I'm kind of glad they didn't have to bother thinking about getting this game to run on more than one platform, it might have harmed the game we got in the end.

Also, considering how much they mentioned memory, I can't wait to see how ND pushes the limits of the GDDR5 RAM in the PS4.

I have so many friends coming over to watch this game who don't have a PS3 it's hilarious.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I love how right after you get
rescued from drowning
, there is a whole stack of notes from
Ish
scattered around the whole chapter. it makes the whole
sewer
experience feels SO MUCH more alive. top notch

This so much. I loved reading those. And if you find two related ones
(like there is one note in the town after the sewers, either by Ish or Kyle, describing how they are planning to go in the sewers)
, not only it makes the experience even more wholesome and complete, but Joel also comments on it.
As far as the game is concerned, Naughty dog absolutely hit it out of the park. This is game of the generation for me, and for me it holds the best game ever title too, along with Half life 2. Never thought any game could ever even come close to hl2 for me, but this game did. The presentation, the acting, the story- all one of the best in gaming. Even gameplay was, which a lot of people seem to not like as much, was one of the best. I didn't want this game to end. I will be there day 0 when Last of us 2 comes. Take a bow, Naughty dog.

Amir0x

Banned
we'll most likely see the last of us enhanced edition on ps4 by bluepoint

I hope so. God this game is just a creaky ancient wooden ship on the high seas, and I just think it's going to break apart and sink at any moment given the steam coming out of my PS3 when I play this

Naughty Dog must have done surgery on the Cell platform in order to get this game to function.

zoukka

I beat it on Hard/No Listen Mode Thursday night. My play time was like 52 hours or something. I was starting to rush as I got to the end because the game started to bore me.

I am still putting together my thoughts, but I think it is a pretty decent game. I have major reservations which everyone will see at length soon I'm sure :)

52 hours wtf :D

Vashetti

Banned
On what difficulty? That was the only room I had real troubles with on hard.

It's probably THE most frustrating section on Survivor.

Got through it, but damn, some curse words were thrown at the screen at that point.

It doesn't help that the game IS glitchy as hell. Cannot wait for ND to patch all of these bugs away. It really spoils an immersive experience.

Toki767

i think ellie flat-out out-lara-ed cd's 'new' lara. everything cd wanted you to feel about young lara, you almost spontaneously/effortlessly feel about ellie. that she's just a part of the whole i think makes it even more of an accomplishment...

The Last of Us copied Tomb Raider which copied Uncharted which copied Tomb Raider

Got past that part the other day.

I was playing in 7.1 surround sound with the volume up and no lights. I was scared as shit. Fuck me...

zoukka

really the art direction in this game is so spectacular, I was like a wide-eyed tourist in every room pouring over the scraps for more environmental narrative

Yeah I nosed every nook and cranny too, but you still took three times the time I did, that's just nuts :)

Amir0x

Banned
on PS4 I'm going to stream video of me playing a game with a beautiful art direction so you guys can know how bored you get when you see me play lol

Top Bottom