• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

mf.luder

Just finished it roughly 30 minutes ago. Really, really enjoyed it. It pulled on my heart strings
and I really wanted to be able to let them do the surgery. I would've like to have been able to make that choice.

don't worry Amir0x, i for one don't think that playtime is so weird. i'm the same way, if a game is immersive and makes me go "wow", i take my fucking time goddamnit. i see a beautiful view from a window? i'm gonna stare out, for 2 minutes, 5 minutes.. whatever. i'm gonna just look at the clouds move for another 5 minutes if the skybox is pretty enough. and i'm gonna pan the camera around my character and look at his/her facial expressions, details on the clothes etc, even if i've already done it 200 times... and THEN i might move to the next area. right after i've listened to the soundtrack for a few more moments.

you gotta appreciate the craftsmanship in these incredible modern games that take years to make, IMO it would be a waste to just try to speedrun through it so you can get to the next game...

UV-6

I beat it on Hard/No Listen Mode Thursday night. My play time was like 52 hours or something. I was starting to rush as I got to the end because the game started to bore me.

I am still putting together my thoughts, but I think it is a pretty decent game. I have major reservations which everyone will see at length soon I'm sure :)

Jeez dude, 52 hours?!

Now i'm interested - how long did you watch the
giraffe scene
for?

Rockin a new avatar for a bit, we'll see :p

Amir0x, you have tremendous patience. I think that much over analysis hurts the games pacing though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just finished it roughly 30 minutes ago. Really, really enjoyed it. It pulled on my heart strings
and I really wanted to be able to let them do the surgery. I would've like to have been able to make that choice.
Plenty of players did but the game would have been absolutely weakened by allowing that.
don't worry Amir0x, i for one don't think that playtime is
so weird. i'm the same way, if a game is immersive and makes me go "wow", i take my fucking time goddamnit. i see a beautiful view from a window? i'm gonna stare out, for 2 minutes, 5 minutes.. whatever. i'm gonna just look at the clouds move for another 5 minutes if the skybox is pretty enough. and i'm gonna pan the camera around my character and look at his/her facial expressions, details on the clothes etc, even if i've already done it 200 times... and THEN i might move to the next area. right after i've listened to the soundtrack for a few more moments.

you gotta appreciate the craftsmanship in these incredible modern games that take years to make, IMO it would be a waste to just try to speedrun through it so you can get to the next game...
We're not talking about the same thing. I didn't speedrun through the game, I took my time on plenty of occasions (only rushing when the characters themselves were attempting to do the same), I spent a fair amount of time just soaking in the details without progression, and he still played for twice as long as I did, then another twenty-one point five hours. After a certain threshold in playtime I firmly believe you're actively working against the intended pacing of the game. He also came out the other side not thinking the game was "incredible" but "decent," a description I had thought (and previously written) was impossible for anyone to apply to this game.

Amir0x

Banned
We're not talking about the same thing. I didn't speedrun through the game, I took my time on plenty of occasions (only rushing when the characters themselves were attempting to do the same), I spent a fair amount of time just soaking in the details without progression, and he still played for twice as long as I did, then another twenty-one point five hours. After a certain threshold in playtime I firmly believe you're actively working against the intended pacing of the game. He also came out the other side not thinking the game was "incredible" but "decent," a description I had thought (and previously written) was impossible for anyone to apply to this game.

Hawkian, you really need to stop being so invested in a game that you believe it achieves some rank of unassailability. It's absurd, no offense. It has major problems, I can detail them at length, and those problems would have existed whether I played the game for a million hours or two. Relax, it's really not the end of the world.

Also: I never went from thinking the game was "incredible' to "decent". I simply spent my time marveling at the art direction and praising that, which is still true now.

Yuterald

I think I'm going to go throw my copy of this game up on eBay. It's been a week since I've played this game and I have like no motivation to pop it in. I believe I made it through most of the Summer scenario before I got bored and had to stop. I just can't deal with the AI breaking the immersion. It honestly completely ruined any feelings I had for the game. Maybe I'll just wait for an inevitable GOTY version down the line and try it again when (and if) the mood strikes me. Naughty Dog just isn't doing it for me anymore. I don't think I truly careed for anything they've made beyond the original Jak & Daxter. I much prefer the era when they made more "game-y" types of games. Oh well. Hopefully I can get most of my money back.

I beat it on Hard/No Listen Mode Thursday night. My play time was like 52 hours or something. I was starting to rush as I got to the end because the game started to bore me.

I am still putting together my thoughts, but I think it is a pretty decent game. I have major reservations which everyone will see at length soon I'm sure :)

screenshot or it didn't happen. I'm calling you out Amir0x!
I took my sweet time, and watched the
giraffes
for like 15 minutes,
you have to literally leave the game on while you go to work for 8 hours and then some for that time to make sense.

I have a feeling you may have just done that, afraid that the savwe bug was going to happen. I didn't know how it worked, I'm sure I would have.

It took me 21 hours on Hard/Listen Mode off. I believe this may be the best game play experience I've ever had. I just love the fact that ND resisted the urge to throw gunfight after gunfight at us around every corner, and just gave us time to breathe and explore and take everything in. This also might be the first game where I actually stopped and read every artifact that I picked up, instead of just skimming through things and keeping it moving. I wanted to gleam every bit of info that I could from this fascinating story. After Winter, I almost wanted to not finish the game, because of the way things went down, and the emotions that I had invested up to that point, I didn't think that I could deal if/when the ceiling fell in on everything. What an accomplishment by Naughty Dog, just brilliant.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man, I don't enjoy this game half as much as normal when it stops being a semi open stealth hunt and becomes a a scripted shoot-out or action set piece. Plays to none of the game's strengths in my option, and the AI spawn points are painfully transparent.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, you really need to stop being so invested in a game that you believe it achieves some rank of unassailability. It's absurd, no offense. It has major problems, I can detail them at length, and those problems would have existed whether I played the game for a million hours or two. Relax, it's really not the end of the world.

Also: I never went from thinking the game was "incredible' to "decent". I simply spent my time marveling at the art direction and praising that, which is still true now.
I never said the game was unassailable, I never said the game doesn't have any issues (it does) nor that criticism cannot be leveled against it (it can and should), I never said the things you consider major problems would be altered based on your playtime, I never said you went from thinking it was incredible to thinking it was decent, and while you may color my estimation of how ridiculous your playtime is in any way you deem appropriate, I'm not so invested in this or any game. I tend to manage my expectations so as to avoid getting disappointed. In this particular case my expectations were exceeded.

Considered in total, I believe this game is an obvious masterpiece with some flaws that are easily overlooked. Considered in total, you believe this game is "pretty decent." Unrelated to either conclusion, you also took 46 hours longer than I did to complete it on the same settings. Hopefully now we are on the same page.

Unai

I lol'ed

942025_211598162323635_1441343859_n.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I never said the game was unassailable, I never said the game doesn't have any issues (it does) nor that criticism cannot be leveled against it (it can and should), I never said the things you consider major problems would be altered based on your playtime, I never said you went from thinking it was incredible to thinking it was decent, and while you may color my estimation of how ridiculous your playtime is in any way you deem appropriate, I'm not so invested in this or any game. I tend to manage my expectations so as to avoid getting disappointed. In this particular case my expectations were exceeded.

Considered in total, I believe this game is an obvious masterpiece with some flaws that are easily overlooked. Considered in total, you believe this game is "pretty decent." Unrelated to either conclusion, you also took 46 hours longer than I did to complete it on the same settings. Hopefully now we are on the same page.

This is you

Hawkian said:
After a certain threshold in playtime I firmly believe you're actively working against the intended pacing of the game. He also came out the other side not thinking the game was "incredible" but "decent," a description I had thought (and previously written) was impossible for anyone to apply to this game.

Anyone who says they think it's impossible for some less than ridiculously over-the-top effusive praise to be leveled against a game is clearly too invested.

Not only that, but I've played a billion games like how I played The Last of Us, and many of them I came out thinking was wonderful. So, suddenly the pacing death is going to kill TLoU for me? Come on, man. It's just silly, is all.

Edit: To say nothing of the fact that when i say a game is 'decent', I mean it's decent. You're getting all weird because I said a game is decent instead of "omg it gives free blowjobs." So it's really bizarre.

Sean

Banned
Ok, thanks for the feedback. My decision may hinge on the answer to this though: if I start a Survival game, and I don't like playing it, can I quit and start a Hard New Game +, or will that wipe out my progress? May seem like an obvious answer, but after Bioshock Infinite's betrayalton I can not be too careful.

I'm not sure. But you could probably make a new save and then load a random chapter on Survivor if you wanna try it out before committing an entire playthrough to it.

I think Survivor mode is a very fun and rewarding challenge. Makes the game feel way more realistic when ammo and supplies are scarce and there's no hand-holding button prompts telling you to grab someone and no glittering objects all over. No listen mode forces you to use your natural senses of vision and hearing than simply relying on a wallhack. You just become way more immersed in the world. It really feels like the way this game was meant to be played.

I googled "last of us ellie rule 34" after seeing that screencap cause I was unfamiliar with the term. Yuck, I should've known better. Some seriously fucked up people out there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is you

Anyone who says they think it's impossible for some less than ridiculously over-the-top effusive praise to be leveled against a game is clearly too invested.
I didn't say that either, man, are you messing with me?
"Less than ridiculously over-the-top effusive praise?" I said I had thought it was impossible for someone to describe the game as "decent." The way I actually wrote it down was, "I defy anyone to legitimately believe it isn't at least good." I did think that was impossible; but I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or worthless, just surprising.
Not only that, but I've played a billion games like how I played The Last of Us, and many of them I came out thinking was wonderful. So, suddenly the pacing death is going to kill TLoU for me? Come on, man. It's just silly, is all.
I never said the pacing death was going to kill the game for you either... Is this willful? :-/ I said playing for that long is actively working against the intended pacing of the game and I definitely think it was. That may not be related in any part to the things that bothered you about the game.
Edit: To say nothing of the fact that when i say a game is 'decent', I mean it's decent. You're getting all weird because I said a game is decent instead of "omg it gives free blowjobs." So it's really bizarre.
Some people like it when I get weird

DjRoomba

Banned
really the art direction in this game is so spectacular, I was like a wide-eyed tourist in every room pouring over the scraps for more environmental narrative

The art direction is really amazing. Naughty Dog truly have the best in the biz when it comes to creating environments, exotic or realistic. Every game should do it this good. Puts generic looking brown games to shame. Lighting engine was doing some impressive things as well.

interesting thing from ND interview about the ending
ND had some people to playtest the game before it was finished, some people said they wish they had a choice for the ending and Druckmann (I think, either him or Straley) ask back that if they had the choice would they let Ellie be operated? and people said no

Amir0x

Banned
interesting thing from ND interview about the ending
ND had some people to playtest the game before it was finished, some people said they wish they had a choice for the ending and Druckmann (I think, either him or Straley) ask back that if they had the choice would they let Ellie be operated? and people said no

<ENDING SPOILERS>
I would have said yes, definitely. Because not only is it what Tess wanted, not only is it what Ellie wanted in my view, but it was to saving countless other human children and parents and friends too. I would have said no if I thought Ellie wasn't OK with it, because forcing someone to do that is wrong, but the way it turned out, definitely would have went with Yes.

Frologic

Anyone else play the game with a third party ps3 controller? Mine has no gyroscope so I was forced to wander in the dark with an annoying flickering light. I might have missed an option to turn off the motion sensor gameplay, but if not I hope they fix that.

meta4

<ENDING SPOILERS>
I would have said yes, definitely. Because not only is it what Tess wanted, not only is it what Ellie wanted in my view, but it was to saving countless other human children and parents and friends too. I would have said no if I thought Ellie wasn't OK with it, because forcing someone to do that is wrong, but the way it turned out, definitely would have went with Yes.

Disagree. Anyways looking to hear your views in more detail in the spoiler thread.

Guys, there's a freaking SPOILER thread if you want to discuss the ending.

In any case. I feel like I am almost done for the first time. Progression status says 85%

It is one hell of a ride still.

Yeah, your silence tells me that 52hr thing is so not a TRUTHFACT, I don't know where you got that number from and feel the need to stick to it, but whatever. No screenshot, no way.

olimpia84

Just finished this seconds ago. Magnificent game, one of the best this year, if not the best. The art direction and narrative are top notch, perhaps the best this generation.

HOWEVER, I'm a bit upset at how annoying some of the stealth/combat sequences in this game were. The AI acts in a very unfair and unrealistic way that takes away from the immersion in the game...it's fucking frustrating because this game is great but imo that aforementioned issue prevents this from being a 10/10 in my book =/

I think I'm not going to replay the game after I finish it. This game is not only too scary (yes I'm a giant sissy), but a bit depressing, too.

I really wish this game didn't have the whole infected angle. I would've prefered the 'only humans' angle. I just finished the part where
you're alone in the dark trying to find the keycard. I was literally scared as shit walking through each room and hallway, and I had the damn light on in my room! Thank god I wasn't forced to fight that giant enemy from the high school. I just ran to the door, swiped the card, and got the hell out.

That was the scariest part of the game IMO. You don't have nearly the arsenal you do later on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The art direction is really amazing. Naughty Dog truly have the best in the biz when it comes to creating environments, exotic or realistic. Every game should do it this good. Puts generic looking brown games to shame. Lighting engine was doing some impressive things as well.
The art team did some amazing work in using the environment to give key parts of each section a distinct color palette. For spoiler purposes I'll just link to a post in the spoiler thread with a couple shots

<ENDING SPOILERS>

i'd be interested in finding out how many real-life parents who've played the game would agree with you. just outa curiosity...

i myself don't. partially because, as i'd assume joel would, i'd be of the opinion that ellie hadn't experienced nearly enough time enjoying what there was left to be enjoyed in life (see: giraffes) to properly make such a decision... &, yeah, partially because i'm a real-life parent :) ...

Yawnier

Banned
Only 30% into this game, but wow just wow.

THIS GAME. I haven't played a game this intense (in combat with enemies) in yearssss.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Out of curiosity, has anyone tested if you can do a corner takedown?

I'm talking being crouched (no weapon equipped) facing an enemy and hitting triangle when they walk into view.

Imo... the last 30 seconds or so of the E3 demo was completely canned and not real gameplay, but I do wonder if that doorway takedown is possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I'm talking being crouched (no weapon equipped) facing an enemy and hitting triangle when they walk into view.

Imo... the last 30 seconds or so of the E3 demo was completely canned and not real gameplay, but I do wonder if that doorway takedown is possible.
you definitely can do what you described, I did it a bunch of times. I don't know what you're talking about with the doorway thing.

DatDude

Banned

it wasnt completely canned. i was able to do alot of the stuff in the e3 demo that i did in the game.

Evolved1

you definitely can do what you described, I did it a bunch of times. I don't know what you're talking about with the doorway thing.

In the E3 demo... Joel rushes the guy with the shotgun and wrestles the gun from him.

I've not seen anything like this in the actual game. I posted at length, months and months ago, why I though that sequence and the few seconds that followed would not actually be in the game proper, but I just want to make sure...

it wasnt completely canned. i was able to do alot of the stuff in the e3 demo that i did in the game.

I never said the entire demo was canned... just the last 30 seconds or so.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
just finished this "motherfucker".

play time 16:35

hard mode, no listening
( the only way to play the first time but I died like 500 times hahah)

+
art direction, atmosphere
music
decent story
gameplay
my real name is joel lol

-
ps3 technical limitations( pop in, jaggies)
character control ( walking speed variation was a major issue )
caused major motion sickness for me ( all ND games make me motion sick)
invisible walls
sticky geometry issues
not as scary as I was hoping
failed to give me the feels
how abruptly it ends

8.5/10
4/5
85/100
2 bills, 1 Ellie and half a Joel

Sean

Banned
In the E3 demo... Joel rushes the guy with the shotgun and wrestles the gun from him.

I've not seen anything like this in the actual game. I posted at length, months and months ago, why I though that sequence and the few seconds that followed would not actually be in the game proper, but I just want to make sure...

Yeah I'm fairly certain that's not possible in the final game. I'm on my fourth playthrough and have experimented a lot with the AI and combat (on various difficulties) and was never able to reproduce this.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
idk joel was extremely relatable to me although I wouldn't have
lied.

JoduanER2

Winter just arrived and im not feeling the masterpiece status many of you r talking about. Sure its a great game but there are long sections where almost nothing happens, and the pacing suffers for many hours, great game but im now betting for Beyond for my GOTY.

Evolved1

It's already kind of dicey to be talking about this with a spoiler thread mere two clicks away... but actually posting untagged spoilers is supremely douchey.

knitoe

I finished the game last night, but I can't believe it took me almost 2 replays to understanding the upgrading your gear bench. On my first play through, I got all the way to university and thought I fucked up by spending wrenches on useless upgrades. Wanted to max out the hunting rifle asap. So, I restarted saving most of the upgrades. I was like WTF is taking so long to get 5 wrenches. Only when I finally found the fifth wrench and have ~2000 gears saved did I realized the wrenches represent levels and not items needed for each upgrade slot. Boy, do i feel dumb. It made the game so much harder. I was pretty much play most of the game without weapon upgrades.

Dresden

You were highlighting a spoiler in a post quoting spoilers marked with <ENDING SPOILERS>.

What did you expect?

I feel like even the words surrounding those tags give enough of a context, and really, it's the sort of a discussion that belongs in the spoiler thread. Which we have, and is thriving, for good reason.

Top Bottom