• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Roubjon

I'm 10 hours into it and at 53% completion and I'm liking it a lot. But jeez, some of those respawn points were poorly implemented. I literally killed an entire set of guys with stealth, and after I killed the last one. A new one spawned right behind me, saw me, and then everything went to shit :/

It's been one wave of humans after another going to point A to B recently though and to be honest, it is a pretty boring formula. I'm hoping something happens to shake it up soon. For example
I liked the basement of the hotel a bunch, although it was a missed opportunity not to actually have any clickers walking around in the water down there.

Easy_G

Sorry to be "that guy", but I have to ask on this new page again.

Where do I find the download for the documentary, Grounded? I've purchased the season pass already, but can't find the doc anywhere.

xbhaskarx

Jealous...would love to experience this game fresh again

Hope you enjoy
I'm about 50 minutes in, taking my time to explore every nook and cranny and take in the atmosphere. I'm now at the docks with Robert and his men. I have no idea who he is or why we (the woman whose name / relationship / motivations I don't understand yet) are going after him, but the game is still great so far. Very well done post-apocalyptic setting and overall game concept. I have a feeling that dealing with the zombie things are going to scare the hell out of me though, I'm a bit of a wimp when games get really intense (as opposed to say L4D or Dead Rising cannon fodder zombies)...

Majmun

Sorry to be "that guy", but I have to ask on this new page again.

Where do I find the download for the documentary, Grounded? I've purchased the season pass already, but can't find the doc anywhere.

It's in the bonus content option on the start screen

Volcynika

Finished No-Listen Mode/Hard in about 12-ish hours. Overall I thought the game was about average when I weigh all the pieces of it. Don't think I'll have the urge to replay the campaign, but still need to try the multiplayer.

LuuKyK

I have a feeling that dealing with the zombie things are going to scare the hell out of me though, I'm a bit of a wimp when games get really intense (as opposed to say L4D or Dead Rising cannon fodder zombies)...

Yeah, I am just like that too. And yes, be prepared. Thats all I am saying.

Finished the game today. I liked it a quite a bit, much more than the Uncharted's. While I've made fun of ND in past for having a good narrative and poor gameplay, they delivered on both this time.

Finished the game today. I liked it a quite a bit, much more than the Uncharted's. While I've made fun of ND in past for having a good narrative and poor gameplay, they delivered on both this time.

This is ND's best work in my eyes. I enjoyed Uncharted 2 but I've been struggling to continue U3 for months and.months, and I find the narrative to be terrible along with the spongey enemies of.course.

george_us

Just finished and had a pretty good time with it overall. I don't think it tops Metal Gear Rising for my GOTY but still a fun experience.

RedSwirl

I now have this problem with an episode of Adventure Time

And is BotI worth reading all of? I read one of the books years ago and thought it was cool.

What episode?

And yes. It actually just concluded in Japan last year at volume 30. The official English books are closing in on the last four volumes. It's actually that last arc of the manga that resembles the winter section of this game a little bit.

JB1981

The entire sequence leading up to the Sniper is one of the most pulse-pounding encounters I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I can't possibly see playing this game with Listen Mode enabled. The tension ratchets up to eleven when you don't know if there is an enemy around the corner. I was impressed with how open this environment was. I love playing cat n mouse inside houses ... God what a game. Btw
I must reached Fall.. How much more do I have left ?

ced

Finished it, one of the best games I've played. I could nitpick a few things but the overall experience is as good as it gets.

Demon Ice

Banned
Holy shit, I had no idea that (~70% game completion spoiler)
Dave, the Bandit leader / temporary ally / final "boss" in the Winter section was voiced by Nolan North. Fuck everybody that says he has no range.

Anyways, just finished it. One of the best games I have ever played. ND nailed everything, the gameplay was phenomenal with both stealth and combat, the crafting, the environments, the art, good lord the voice acting and animation, the graphics were absolutely top notch. Best material shaders I've seen in a game, and the lighting rivals a lot of PC games I've played.

Astoundingly good game IMO, can't wait to see what ND has to offer on the PS4.

Just finished it. The Winter chapter is definitely my favorite part of the game, and probably one of the finest moments in recent gaming history for me, aside from the beginning. The highlight was definitely after
Ellie leaves so they can't find Joel. The sections in the psycho town were really good; I loved playing as Ellie.

Bugs I encountered, one entertaining and one not: in the section I spoiler-marked above, after you're
escaping on the horse. I turned left awkwardly into a boulder, almost crashing, and the horse just glided/clipped through the right of the boulder, haha. I didn't even see the horse until it had come out a second later.
The other was near the end when you're going to
the hospital. It's the rapids section, where you're platforming over trucks. There's a part where you drop down into a yellow car to hop on another truck. I was curious if Joel could jump the little gap on the right, so I jumped. Nope. Just went into the water and under the truck, then reached the end of the rapids and had to sit there until I lost all my oxygen and SLOWLY lost all my health. I couldn't even see Joel in the water, no matter how much I moved my camera, but I could still see my light as if I were above the water. When I died, I was so far down that I could see empty game world (black) mixed in with the bottom of the floor/water, like I was stuck between both

Also, I'm definitely doing a second run of the game on Hard and in Spanish. Thanks, ND, for a Latin American dub. I'm really excited and curious about how it'll compare to the English one.

Anyone else play the game with a third party ps3 controller? Mine has no gyroscope so I was forced to wander in the dark with an annoying flickering light. I might have missed an option to turn off the motion sensor gameplay, but if not I hope they fix that.
Did you try turning the flashlight off and back on?

Also, I HATE when the game makes you walk slow. I don't know if it's because they don't trust you to be careful and pay attention to detail, or because they want to mask streaming issues, or whatever their reasoning... It's annoying as shit. I understand that Joel must slow down when carrying an object such as a ladder or wooden plank, but it really isn't necessary to slow the player down outside of those moments. It makes the game feel sluggish for those few minutes.

On a related note, I love the camera shake animation when you're running and being shot at. It reminds me of the roadie run in gears somewhat. It's great.

I'm really liking the MP. The Survivor's mode is so much fun. You really need to work together. I've only had one overall win (it took about 6 rounds to finish). In the losses, most people were going in all different directions. By following close by I was able to revive people easily, and they did the same for me. It does seem that it takes more than one clip to kill an enemy. I haven't yet had an opportunity to sneak up from behind to kill an enemy.

Easy_G

Just finished it. The Winter chapter is definitely my favorite part of the game, and probably one of the finest moments in recent gaming history for me, aside from the beginning. The highlight was definitely after
Ellie leaves so they can't find Joel. The sections in the psycho town were really good; I loved playing as Ellie.

Bugs I encountered, one entertaining and one not: in the section I spoiler-marked above, after you're
escaping on the horse. I turned left awkwardly into a boulder, almost crashing, and the horse just glided/clipped through the right of the boulder, haha. I didn't even see the horse until it had come out a second later.
The other was near the end when you're going to
the hospital. It's the rapids section, where you're platforming over trucks. There's a part where you drop down into a yellow car to hop on another truck. I was curious if Joel could jump the little gap on the right, so I jumped. Nope. Just went into the water and under the truck, then reached the end of the rapids and had to sit there until I lost all my oxygen and SLOWLY lost all my health. I couldn't even see Joel in the water, no matter how much I moved my camera, but I could still see my light as if I were above the water. When I died, I was so far down that I could see empty game world (black) mixed in with the bottom of the floor/water, like I was stuck between both

Also, I'm definitely doing a second run of the game on Hard and in Spanish. Thanks, ND, for a Latin American dub. I'm really excited and curious about how it'll compare to the English one.

I experienced the same bug you describe in the third spoiler tag. You can get around that (and other bugs where you get stuck) by just choosing "restart encounter" in the pause menu.

The awesomeness of this game inspired me to load up Uncharted 3 and get some more Naughty Dog in my life. My save was at 38%. Game is gorgeous, but I need to prepare to not understand anything that goes on in the story, unlike TLOU

LiK

The awesomeness of this game inspired me to load up Uncharted 3 and get some more Naughty Dog in my life. My save was at 38%. Game is gorgeous, but I need to prepare to not understand anything that goes on in the story, unlike TLOU

UC3 story is pretty straightforward. you won't be lost.

antitrop

I just rented The Road. =/ Children of Men soon, too. I'm still trying to process the game after completion.

I haven't seen either before, but I'm going to watch The Road tonight.

I'm only halfway but I feel like the soundtrack is criminally underused. I love the use of no music at all, it works beautifully to create tension but a little more Gustavo goes along way.

I'm about 50 minutes in, taking my time to explore every nook and cranny and take in the atmosphere. I'm now at the docks with Robert and his men. I have no idea who he is or why we (the woman whose name / relationship / motivations I don't understand yet) are going after him, but the game is still great so far. Very well done post-apocalyptic setting and overall game concept. I have a feeling that dealing with the zombie things are going to scare the hell out of me though, I'm a bit of a wimp when games get really intense (as opposed to say L4D or Dead Rising cannon fodder zombies)...
That's one of the highlights of the game. The world around you is so rich and realistic, everyone has a story in the world. The game doesn't necessarily spoon feed you and tell you how you should feel about something/someone, which I enjoy tremendously.

Um.. is my second rifle slot supposed to have disappeared late in the game on Survivor difficulty?
I thought it was odd how Ellie didn't have one either, considering the fact that she did on the other difficulties... but Joel too??
Or is my game bugged?

Edit: yep, bugged. Finally fixed itself when I got the assault rifle an hour later. -_-

Duffyside

Banned
<ENDING SPOILERS>
I would have said yes, definitely. Because not only is it what Tess wanted, not only is it what Ellie wanted in my view, but it was to saving countless other human children and parents and friends too. I would have said no if I thought Ellie wasn't OK with it, because forcing someone to do that is wrong, but the way it turned out, definitely would have went with Yes.

I'm with you, basically. The only difference I would note is that I would make sure it was ok with Ellie, and not presume it. That would be the choice I'd want. Stop it, then say "Ellie, this is what these people want to do, and here is what they hope to accomplish," presuming that the procedure would in fact bring about a cure.

Heck, I did try to do this, because I didn't just start shooting doctors. It took me a bit of walking forward, stopping, walking slowly, stopping, coming real close to the scalpel before I realized "oh, right, this is a game and I can only interact in one way here. Bang."

Easy_G

I just rented The Road. =/

Is that face because of how depressing the movie can be?

I managed to see that movie in a theater completely alone, and it definitely hit me pretty hard.

EDIT: Ah, you updated your post. The Road is basically a movie version of Joel and Ellie's interactions with the other humans in the game.

So I just played the first 2-3 hours and two matches of multiplayer. WOW
Even better than I expected. Really happy so far. The game looks really nice, plays well, and the realism adds to the immersion. The sway on the guns, real-time crafting, and especially the lack of an abundance of ammo in multiplayer are all things that while adding to the difficulty actually really enhance the experience.

Proc

Finished it. Other than brief stints of bf3 and sc2, this has been my go to source of entertainment this week. I have to say I loved it. It comes highly recommended. If anyone is on the fence I encourage you to at least rent or borrow from a friend. There were frustrating parts due to my lack of skill but I'm glad I pushed on through normal. It was one of the most emotional games I've ever experienced. I echo the sentiments of its high regard. This is a game that needs to be experienced by all.

I've heard this game to be draining to some and I agree. You need to take breaks. This game is heavy and not so much a popcorn experience like naughty dog's previous. What a great treat to have in June.

Is that face because of how depressing the movie can be?

I managed to see that movie in a theater completely alone, and it definitely hit me pretty hard.

EDIT: Ah, you updated your post. The Road is basically a movie version of Joel and Ellie's interactions with the other humans in the game.
Yeah The Road is great but god damn is that some depressing shit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I just rented The Road. =/ Children of Men soon, too. I'm still trying to process the game after completion.

I haven't seen either before, but I'm going to watch The Road tonight.

Children of men is in ever way the better movie. The road is incredibly disappointing.

Superflat

Children of men is in ever way the better movie. The road is incredibly disappointing.

Children of Men is so good. I could see a lot of visual and auditory influence from this film in TLOU, especially in sound design, blunt brutality, and a lot of deliberate use of natural light.

I enjoyed The Road, but Children of Men is far better constructed.

zychi

Banned
Children of Men is so good. I could see a lot of visual and auditory influence from this film in TLOU, especially in sound design, blunt brutality, and a lot of deliberate use of natural light.

I enjoyed The Road, but Children of Men is far better constructed.
I LOVE the one long filmed sequence in com. Soooo good

bender

What time is it?
I doubt I'll finish my second play through but I wish they would have let you choose survivor from the outset. No listen mode would have been a better way to experience the game when I didn't know how the combat scenarios played out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I HATE when the game makes you walk slow. I don't know if it's because they don't trust you to be careful and pay attention to detail, or because they want to mask streaming issues, or whatever their reasoning... It's annoying as shit. I understand that Joel must slow down when carrying an object such as a ladder or wooden plank, but it really isn't necessary to slow the player down outside of those moments. It makes the game feel sluggish for those few minutes.

You're not obligated to walk in any scene, you can press L2 and run, of course not sprinting, but that was probably a design decision to prevent players from crashing into a wall every time they wanted to go faster.

I doubt I'll finish my second play through but I wish they would have let you choose survivor from the outset. No listen mode would have been a better way to experience the game when I didn't know how the combat scenarios played out.
Listen mode is able to be toggled from the start, no need for survivor difficulty.

Top Bottom