• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Mik_Pad

Banned
So if I buy the Season Pass on PSN, I get the 90-minute doc and all future DLC?

How is the doc, and much HDD space does the doc take? I have an 80GB PS3 phat, so I have to ration my HDD space carefully! (Don't tell me to expand!)
It takes about 3.8 GB and I'm currently downloading it the downside is that it can't be downloaded on the background. To access the download you do it in game in the extras/downloads section in the main menu.

jrcbandit

Nah.
Marlene struggles with the idea more than anyone else, because she's so close to Ellie. Moreover, the way the doctors reacted indicates there is more than just "a chance" of finding a cure.

Spoilers regarding the ending:
Nah, it is very common for scientists/doctors to be overconfident and think they can do no wrong - in fact, some insist that their graduate students fit data to the professor's hypothesis rather than admit that their precious hypothesis is just plain wrong ;p. I really doubt that dissecting Ellie's brain would lead to a vaccine any time soon if ever. It was just one doctor in piss poor conditions, who likens himself to Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin. Marlene is just deluding herself into thinking it will 100% lead to a cure so she can get past the guilt of killing Ellie. For scientific discovery, wouldn't it make much more sense to keep Ellie alive for a variety of different testing, have her procreate and see if her children are immune, etc.. Of course the more logical step of not killing Ellie immediately would not make an exciting conclusion.

I wonder when Naughty Dog makes a sequel if it will be a prequel, concurrent, or take place after? The title could be "Second to the Last of Us"...........

Aske

What mode did you play it on and how did you play it?

I didn't find the gameplay enjoyable until I took the time to stealth my way through but at the same time I let myself do some run & gun in between to let out some of my emotions.

I started on normal, became so bored I wanted to quit, then busted it down to easy; not something I ever normally do. I'm not a big stealth fan, but I love Manhunt, which has somewhat similar gameplay to TLoU. But where Manhunt's simple mechanics clicked, those of TLoU didn't. I just couldn't engage with it.

Liked the
Ellie segments
a little more; the slight tweaks to the mechanics clicked with me more than they did in the rest of the game. Gunplay wasn't particularly enjoyable either, and to be brutally honest, actually playing felt like a chore 90% of the time. Everything felt somewhat sloppy, repetitive, and perhaps over-simplistic.

But that just applies to the bread-and-butter action. The subtler elements of the gameplay in which the game uses interactivity to tell its story are pure gold. Glad I gave it a chance and kept playing, because the payoff was absolutely worth it.

Loakum

Banned
The Last of Us is such an amazing game, it makes the rest of the games in my gaming library seem bland. The bar has been raised for next gen!

vladdamad

Yeah, you know what? I take all my criticisms of this game back. This actually feels like a proper work of literature, with a perfect ending. Somehow all the parts of the game click and deliver a beautiful narrative with deep characterisation and interconnecting themes. I thought the game was going to end at the
giraffes
, so much so that I was actually waiting for the credits to start rolling, but ND gave me an even better ending, one that is now forever imprinted in my memory. A massive 10/10 title, probably the first game that has a plot that doesn't feel like a junior high essay. Journey is still my favourite game of all time, but this is a close second. Absolutely magnificent. To the spoiler thread I go

GlamFM

Banned
Finished it yesterday. Didn´t like it so much at first, but the second half was just amazing.

They should make a prequel next (that starts right after the intro..)

One of my personal GOTY contenders together with Tomb Raider and Metro Last Light.

Gibbo

Just read that we can just use a save file from another PS3. My ps3 slim died on me just after the halfway mark - and was wondering if a kind soul would be able to send me their completed save file which I can use on a borrowed ps3? :(

GeoramA

Naughty Dog wasn't lying about the length, holy shit. Still in Summer, just got
separated from Henry and Ellie in the sewer and now I'm in a room with a shitload of infected :eek:

El-Suave

I'm only halfway through, but I'm already amazed how good and different this game is. I never thought another game could rival or surpass Uncharted 2 in my book, but TLOU is well on its way to doing that.
The shooting feels so meaningful when you have to resort to it, I hope other developers take note! I don't think it's just because you care for the characters but for the fact that the mechanics are spot on without being punishing. I keep thinking of other games I'd wish to play with gunplay like that. A wild west game could be an awesome fit.

khaaan

I think I'm almost done the game. Currently a few hours into "Winter" and
killed that guy at the restaurant as Ellie
. I'm very happy this game is its own thing but without going into too much detail, it feels more like a Walking Dead video game than what TellTale put out.

I think I'm almost done the game. Currently a few hours into "Winter" and
killed that guy at the restaurant as Ellie
. I'm very happy this game is its own thing but without going into too much detail, it feels more like a Walking Dead video game than what TellTale put out.

I'm sure I remember someone from Naughty Dog saying the Walking Dead comic was one of their inspirations for the game.

Atsumi

I anyone else having problems playing this game for more than an hour or two at a time? I'm really bad at stealth, and I have to do some parts over and over and the stress is so draining. I'm really enjoying the experience, but this game is going to take me a while to finish.

SKINNER!

Banned
Sometimes it's possible to blast your way through a level, sometimes you need to create a diversion and either get them while they're distracted or run/sneak past them. That's how I played it. Started at 11am on Saturday and didn't put it down until 3am on Sunday morning. Picked it up again around 7pm and finished it within an hour. Pretty unusual playing behaviour for me as I usually play games in smaller chucks over the space of a week. This game was such so captivating. There was a point where I kept dying over and over. Went to bed since it was late, woke up, had something to eat andtried it again. This time I nailed it first time.

GlamFM

Banned
I anyone else having problems playing this game for more than an hour or two at a time? I'm really bad at stealth, and I have to do some parts over and over and the stress is so draining. I'm really enjoying the experience, but this game is going to take me a while to finish.

I´ve played this game in 2 hour chunks over 6 nights.
Too stressful for longer stretches.

yeah been playing this a few hours at a time, and too busy on weekdays for that so tis is gonna take me a while lol.

You know, the most impressive and kinda disappointing part of the game is the super well crafted environments. It compels you to explore... but all you do find is mat, some ammo, and a teeny bit of lore. I just wish there was more stuff to do in the environments in terms of interactivity or something.

Naughty dog would make a kickass adventure game for sure.

Loved this anecdote from a guy on another gaming forum I visit:

I've not kept up with this thread due to spoiler fears, but I feel I have to chip in to say what an amazingly designed game this is.

Sure the production levels and the graphics are impressive, but it's the genius design decisions that have given me by best moments. What a revelation to play a stealth game with no radar or other intrusive HUD, but that still works and isn't frustrating. Last night I'd taken out a few hunters in the hotel, but wasn't sure if it was safe to move through, so I lobbed a bottle into lounge and observed how many people called out and came to investigate. In lesser games there would be some non-diegetic indicator telling me, no doubt.

Simply restricting the amount of resources makes such a difference to the gameplay. Finding little stashes is really rewarding, and the scarcity of ammo means you need to learn how to use everything at your disposal. Still, on Hard I can't believe how many draws and cabinets are totally empty! But that all adds to the sense of everything being fucked.

Saying all that, the most memorable moment for me was due to the amazing animation tech. I'd been skulking round the hotel for about 20 mins taking dudes out, when one wandered past my hiding spot and climbed through the window into the garden. I went to quietly follow him, but he turned round just as I was awkwardly clambering through the frame. In one of the most amazing emergent things I've ever seen in a game, the fucker grabbed my leg and yanked me through, then started pummelling me up against the wall with his bat. I couldn't get a hit in, and was resigned to losing all my progress, when Ellie jumped on his back, screaming at him to get off me. This gave me an opening to strike back, at which point Joel grabbed the guy's head and impaled it on the corner of an air-con unit. I really couldn't believe it - the animation was utterly flawless as all those little incidents linked together. If I'd have seen that in a demo, I would never have believed it wasn't scripted.

Love reading stuff like that. I had one where I was climbing a staircase when an enemy came down to investigate. I fired an arrow in him, but it didn't kill him. So while he was stumbling, I pressed the meleet attack button, which led to Joel grabbing him and throwing him down the stairs. So good.

Footos22

Love reading stuff like that. I had one where I was climbing a staircase when an enemy came down to investigate. I fired an arrow in him, but it didn't kill him. So while he was stumbling, I pressed the meleet attack button, which led to Joel grabbing him and throwing him down the stairs. So good.

Same happened to me but i was coming down the stairs. he pretty much may as well have shouted "This is Sparta" by the way he booted him down like a sack of shit.

RDreamer

Had some brilliant moments in winter:
Ellie's a killing beast with that bow. The outside the lodge was so fun stabbing dudes and getting them with the bow. Then after I stabbed what I thought was the last dude someone else started shooting at me and I immediately pulled my reticle for the rifle and got a headshot. Never felt so satisfied with a section in this game.

Also, is it just me or do her arrows 'break' more than with Joel? I used it a bunch in these areas to get through but only got like 1 out of the 9 arrows back, unfortunately.

Man

Without spoiling please: Now that people have completed the game, is it viable to play on Hard with Listen mode turned Off the first time? Or is there sections that become a bit broken (without Listen mode)?

Footos22

Had some brilliant moments in winter:
Ellie's a killing beast with that bow. The outside the lodge was so fun stabbing dudes and getting them with the bow. Then after I stabbed what I thought was the last dude someone else started shooting at me and I immediately pulled my reticle for the rifle and got a headshot. Never felt so satisfied with a section in this game.

Also, is it just me or do her arrows 'break' more than with Joel? I used it a bunch in these areas to get through but only got like 1 out of the 9 arrows back, unfortunately.

Was my favourite part of the whole game. So fun.

If you set a nail bomb on a slope, it rolls away. Just noticed this in the mp, the attention to detail is great.

I realised that on multiplayer last night. I tried to set one down at the corner near the top of this slope and as I was running off I saw it sliding down after me.

I finished the game on Saturday, I absolutely loved it. It's probably the best game I've ever played. There's just so little that I can fault it for.

khaaan

Ellie's role in encounters was a huge surprise for me. For a large chunk of the early game even though there were other characters it basically felt like I was doing most of the work. The eye opening point for me was also in the hotel, I had alerted some people and was in the middle of a fight. One of them got behind me and started choking me out and as I was mashing the square button like a mad man, Ellie curses at the guy, jumps on his back and starts stabbing him to get him off of me. After that I started to notice more and more of her, I remember an enemy walked by and didn't see us so I thought "awesome, I'm just going to walk up behind him and choke him out" but before I could even get to him Ellie had already taken care of it. On a smaller scale, just the ways she throws bricks/bottles or yells out the location of an enemy always leaves me surprised and thankful.

One issue I find with the game is that sometimes the game tells you that you can go either stealthy or guns blazing. that's great, but I find alot of the time being stealthy isn't an option because often there is a door/crate/whatever blocking the exit which alerts all the enemies to my presence forcing me into a fire-fight..

Without spoiling please: Now that people have completed the game, is it viable to play on Hard with Listen mode turned Off the first time? Or is there sections that become a bit broken (without Listen mode)?

I played on Normal with Listen mode turned off and found it a bit too easy in later parts of the game. The game works fine without Listen mode.

So... was replaying some of bioshock infinite last night and realized something... for a zombie world thingy... its quite odd that food/hunger isn't a key gameplay thing. It wouldn't even be that hard to implement (to balance is another question) with how you have a bag and you already spend all day looting around the envronment.

Duffyside

Banned
Spoilers regarding the ending:
Nah, it is very common for scientists/doctors to be overconfident and think they can do no wrong - in fact, some insist that their graduate students fit data to the professor's hypothesis rather than admit that their precious hypothesis is just plain wrong ;p. I really doubt that dissecting Ellie's brain would lead to a vaccine any time soon if ever. It was just one doctor in piss poor conditions, who likens himself to Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin. Marlene is just deluding herself into thinking it will 100% lead to a cure so she can get past the guilt of killing Ellie. For scientific discovery, wouldn't it make much more sense to keep Ellie alive for a variety of different testing, have her procreate and see if her children are immune, etc.. Of course the more logical step of not killing Ellie immediately would not make an exciting conclusion.

I wonder when Naughty Dog makes a sequel if it will be a prequel, concurrent, or take place after? The title could be "Second to the Last of Us"...........

I think you're inserting a level of nuance that isn't there.
The Fireflies aren't presented as the world's crazies — kind of the opposite. There's no reason to believe "the doctor is one of those who would have grad students falsify research! Marlene's gone off the deep end!" etc, but there is PLENTY of reason to believe that Joel has lost it. Now, I'm not saying he should've just shook Marlene's hand and gone on his merry way (but outside a game context, I don't think killing a dozen good men is perhaps the right answer either). I think insisting that Ellie be woken up and explained the situation and given time to consider it would be the most moral choice, but that isn't an option.

Marlene saying to Joel that Ellie would want this to happen, and that he KNOWS it is the most important line. His reaction is to shoot Marlene while she put down her gun. The message that Joel is the one who's lost it is pretty clear. I think people arguing against that are just trying to convince themselves that the ending is happy one.

I agree with Duffyside, and I'm bookmarking his explanation of the ending for future reference. It was how I interpreted things and he summarized it well. :)

Thanks, dude.

StuBurns

Banned
So... was replaying some of bioshock infinite last night and realized something... for a zombie world thingy... its quite odd that food/hunger isn't a key gameplay thing. It wouldn't even be that hard to implement (to balance is another question) with how you have a bag and you already spend all day looting around the envronment.
There's food in the game, it just doesn't separate hunger with health.

I like how Joel actually reacts to the notes you pick up. This game is too much. There are single rooms/buildings that put entire other games to shame in terms of detail.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think I like this game, and I'm jealous of those who do. Seems like you're all having a great time.

I think it mostly comes down to the amount of combat encounters and how the A.I plays them out. Maybe it's different on higher difficulties, but it all seems very Uncharted-esque. Walk into an area with waist-high boxes and lane dividers, expect a gunfight. You can sneak by the brain-dead enemies with relative ease (they don't even have Batman's 'panic' mode as you slowly pick them off - they just walk up to a corpse, say 'Fuck' and shake up their patrol a little), and some areas won't let you progress if they're still alive and in combat with you (Ellie: "We can't, there's too many of them!").

Late Winter Spoiler:
I really wish enemies worked more like David instead as opposed to Uncharted's gunfight mercenaries. I was shocked to see someone finally have the mildest survival instincts and crouch to try to get the jump on me. It would have brought variety to the far-too-frequent gunfights versus humans, at least, which don't have the benefit of 'classes' like the fungies.
I definitely don't have a problem with those fungies. They're fun to fight and I love the concept.

Late Fall Spoiler:
Not gameplay related, by Joel's abdominal wound really bugged me. Most people would die from that, especially after the amount of shock and trauma he experienced after all of his tumbles and general blood loss shortly afterwards. I had to wonder why they decided to go with something so ridiculously extreme instead of having him break a few limbs and getting a concussion from the fall (for the immediate 'oh no loss of control' factor). General exaggerated videogame HP bullshit aside, this was the only time (so far - we're up to Spring now) I had been taken aback by the amount of physical trauma they expected Joel to live through. Telltale's The Walking Dead took injury more seriously, and I respect them for that.

I finished this game lat night around 11:50pm... Honestly, I would say it's a nice rental. Don't get me wrong, it's a great fucking game, but throughout the whole game, I just felt uneasy and depressed the whole time and I wouldn't want to feel that way when I just want to relax and unwind.

Killing the doctor got to me the most. If it was me, I would've let the doctor do their own things, extract the mutated fungi's DNA make-up, study it and compare it to ordinary fungi's make-up, and create gene therapy treatments for everyone. OR at least come CLOSE to finding the cure rather than killing the minds that drove the research. What. the. fuck. Joel.

But, this story isn't about me. It's about Joel and Ellie. Brilliant job, ND.

How is the multiplayer by the way?

SKINNER!

Banned
I like how Joel actually reacts to the notes you pick up. This game is too much. There are single rooms/buildings that put entire other games to shame in terms of detail.

I actually read through all the the notes/documents/manuals in the game which is bizarre because with games like Resident Evil I'd usually only read the first 2/3 documents I pick up and just not bother reading the rest of them. Each document in TLoU was quite fascinating and - like you said - it was great hearing Joel's response after you read it.

So if I buy the Season Pass on PSN, I get the 90-minute doc and all future DLC?

How is the doc, and much HDD space does the doc take? I have an 80GB PS3 phat, so I have to ration my HDD space carefully! (Don't tell me to expand!)

I ended up copying the documentary to an external hard drive because I have an 80gb too and I don't have much space on it either. I think it was a .divx file, played fine in VLC and MPC

I'm surprised at how much of a talking point the doctors became. Seemed pretty black and white to me. Joel would obviously want them dead. They are just as much reason Ellie would die as anyone else in the game. One even tries to attack, are you supposed to trust the others won't when you go to pick Ellie up?

Angst

Not really. Sorry but I'm always specifying it's only my personal opinion in my posts. General statements presented as facts piss me off.

All posts are made by one guy pressing the submit reply button, thus making it pretty clear that it is in fact their opinion, not some general fact.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. Sorry but I'm always specifying it's only my personal opinion in my posts. General statements presented as facts piss me off.
You must be one pissed off dude.

Top Bottom