• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Izick

Sorry to get off topic, but can anybody answer an Uncharted 3 related question for me?

Random question, but I'm at the (UNCHARTED 3 SPOILERS)
boat junkyard level right after being tied up in a chair and having to fight a bunch of pirates hand-to-hand
and I wanted to know how far I am in the game, or at least how much of a chunk of the game I have left.

I just want to know because I have TLoU (FINALLY!) sitting, un-opened right by my PS3.

StuBurns

Banned
Not really. Sorry but I'm always specifying it's only my personal opinion in my posts. General statements presented as facts piss me off.
Let's take a look at your previous post to see if that's true.
(on SM3DW)
This game just looks fun to play and that's all that matters.
Nothing subjectively phrased there.
From the few levels we saw I see as much creativity in level design as Super Mario Galaxy. It's just not as visually arresting. The cat suit looks like one of the best power-ups in recent memory altering fundamentally the gameplay, transparent pipes seem very fun and 4 players 3D platformer has never been attempted before. Who cares about epic stuff.
That bit's fine.
The only flaws in SM3DL were the difficulty level and levels recycling. Other than that it was genuinely as entertaining as the Super Mario Galaxy series.
Nothing there.
In EAD Tokyo we trust.
And nothing here either.

When you're going to be an asshole to a random poster, at least don't be a hypocrite with it.

Sorry to get off topic, but can anybody answer an Uncharted 3 related question for me?

Random question, but I'm at the (UNCHARTED 3 SPOILERS)
boat junkyard level right after being tied up in a chair and having to fight a bunch of pirates hand-to-hand
and I wanted to know how far I am in the game, or at least how much of a chunk of the game I have left.

I just want to know because I have TLoU (FINALLY!) sitting, un-opened right by my PS3.

I know this isn't really the best representation of time, but it took me 2 more nights to finish the game if I remember correctly. It's just over the halfway point more or less.

Fabrik

Banned
All posts are made by one guy pressing the submit reply button, thus making it pretty clear that it is in fact their opinion, not some general fact.

And that everyone should agree with it is my problem. Everyone feels the need to make definitive statements. ("The Dark Night is the best comic book movie ever!" "The Wire is the best thing shown on television in the last billion years!"). Opinions presented as truth. But I'm derailing the thread. Nothing new really. End of rant!

Nozem

Does Naughty Dog have two teams now?

I mean, were they working on another *coughPS4cough* project during the development of TLOU?

Izick

I know this isn't really the best representation of time, but it took me 2 more nights to finish the game if I remember correctly. It's just over the halfway point more or less.

Oh really? Thanks! I think I might just take the plunge and start playing TLoU while I save the rest of U3 for later.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not really. Sorry but I'm always specifying it's only my personal opinion in my posts. General statements presented as facts piss me off.

It would be nice if people always used subjective or objective language when appropriate, but you need to either point it out every time someone does it (and get banned), or just ignore it and accept the reality of forum discourse.

It's really fucking stupid to point it out for some random, innocuous post where the guy is obviously trying to express that it's his favorite game this gen.

edit: and then StuBurns owned you with your own posts. Welp,

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think I like this game, and I'm jealous of those who do. Seems like you're all having a great time.

I think it mostly comes down to the amount of combat encounters and how the A.I plays them out. Maybe it's different on higher difficulties, but it all seems very Uncharted-esque. Walk into an area with waist-high boxes and lane dividers, expect a gunfight. You can sneak by the brain-dead enemies with relative ease (they don't even have Batman's 'panic' mode as you slowly pick them off - they just walk up to a corpse, say 'Fuck' and shake up their patrol a little), and some areas won't let you progress if they're still alive and in combat with you (Ellie: "We can't, there's too many of them!").

Late Winter Spoiler:
I really wish enemies worked more like David instead as opposed to Uncharted's gunfight mercenaries. I was shocked to see someone finally have the mildest survival instincts and crouch to try to get the jump on me. It would have brought variety to the far-too-frequent gunfights versus humans, at least, which don't have the benefit of 'classes' like the fungies.
I definitely don't have a problem with those fungies. They're fun to fight and I love the concept.

Late Fall Spoiler:
Not gameplay related, by Joel's abdominal wound really bugged me. Most people would die from that, especially after the amount of shock and trauma he experienced after all of his tumbles and general blood loss shortly afterwards. I had to wonder why they decided to go with something so ridiculously extreme instead of having him break a few limbs and getting a concussion from the fall (for the immediate 'oh no loss of control' factor). General exaggerated videogame HP bullshit aside, this was the only time (so far - we're up to Spring now) I had been taken aback by the amount of physical trauma they expected Joel to live through. Telltale's The Walking Dead took injury more seriously, and I respect them for that.

Wait there are seasons? I'm like 40ish % through and didn't notice any season changes... but i live in GA so the fuck do i know about seasons.
Yeah, the game is separated into seasons. The first is by far the longest.

Fabrik

Banned

You're missing the simple fact that I'm not dismissing any other game.

It would be nice if people always used subjective or objective language when appropriate, but you need to either point it out every time someone does it (and get banned), or just ignore it and accept the reality of forum discourse. It's really fucking stupid to point it out for some random, innocuous post where the guy is obviously trying to express that it's his favorite game this gen.

You're right but a lot of posters seem to think their opinion is the only one valid and it's the source of endless petty discussions. Anyway there's nothing to do against this behavior so I'm going to shut up now.

Fabrik

Banned
So we don't need to put IMO on a post unless the opinion in some way discredits another game?

Basically yes. I think discussions would be more civilized. People not adhering to this or that game design philosophy wouldn't have the need to argue.

Edit: IMO :)

Andrew.

Banned
The worst part about TLOU is deciding what to play afterwards, since 90% of anything following this masterpiece is going to be disappointing to me.

Btw: craft
nailbombs
like crazy. These things are so damn useful for
groups of enemies. Just toss one over, then throw a brick or bottle in the same area and watch the madness. The explosive radius is huge!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You're missing the simple fact that I'm not dismissing any other game.

You're right but a lot of posters seem to think their opinion is the only one valid and it's the source of endless petty discussions. Anyway there's nothing to do against this behavior so I'm going to shut up now.

You're right, and there isn't anything to do about it other than translate their words in your head using your basic familiarity with how people communicate on the internet. Just don't engage in arguments that are predicated on subjective perceptions stated as objective facts about a game, if it bothers you that much.

The worst part about TLOU is deciding what to play afterwards, since 90% of anything following this masterpiece is going to be disappointing to me.

That's part of my problem right now. I have several games I can start playing now, but after TLOU, nothing really looks all that appealing to me. The same thing happened with Bioshock Infinite earlier this year.

Vodh

This is fucking dumb. Everything you ever say is your personal opinion, unless it's talking about facts and numbers in which case it needs to be backed up. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if someone's talking about facts or opinions and stating that your opinions are in fact just that, your opinions, is completely redundant.

It's fine on its own, but trying to force others to include an obvious and completely useless disclaimer in everything they say is just really fucking dumb.

Gibbo

Ok just went and ordered a new PS3. Unfortunately I was not able to retrieve my save files from the dead one. I was entering
the forest area (with the deer) with Ellie
when my PS3 died. How far along was I?

Buntabox

Oh really? Thanks! I think I might just take the plunge and start playing TLoU while I save the rest of U3 for later.

Where you are at in U3 is the worst part of the game IMO. I know they are totally different franchises, but I don't think the latter half of U3 isn't gonna feel that good after you start playing TLoU. I would just power through to the end. Just my opinion though.

SKINNER!

Banned
Ok just went and ordered a new PS3. Unfortunately I was not able to retrieve my save files from the dead one. I was entering
the forest area (with the deer) with Ellie
when my PS3 died. How far along was I?

I'd say about the half way point.

nib95

Banned
For you. Don't make broad statement like this please.

What the hell? Having a bad day today?

Let's take a look at your previous post to see if that's true.
(on SM3DW)

Nothing subjectively phrased there.

That bit's fine.

Nothing there.

And nothing here either.

When you're going to be an asshole to a random poster, at least don't be a hypocrite with it.

Molotov burn.

maybe i should invest some time into finishing this quicker. Does it ramp up later? Game seems solid for the first half, but not really feeling game of the forever. I also kinda enjoyed stealthing around more in the beginning, but now i seem to have ever increasing amount of fire power and ammo, it's just easier to shoot everyone (human shield is quite effective).

And lawd won't someone give ellie a gun! Stupid Joel.

Dysun

I played Alan Wake, it was boring
I might have to replay TLOU or take a break and forget about it

I love TLOU. It's the best videogame this whole generation.

So true. I downloaded UC3 from PSN a couple of days ago (thank you based PS+) and started my playtrough yesterday. The graphics is pretty but all the enemies is bulletsponges and I can't really go back to ND's humorous approach to their games after TLOU. It has marked me for life mang.

Nozem

The moment a Naughty Dog logo for a PS4 announcement appears at any conference people are going to freak out.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope it's not Uncharted 4. It would be kind of a letdown after TLOU.

Then again, Naughty Dog clearly knows their shit.

I just got the game. Playing on hard with listening mode off, after 1 hour 45 minutes I am at 16% according to my savegame. Am I playing too fast? I try to mostly stealth kill, look at billboard, signs and in general appreciate the work ND did on this game.

Interfectum

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope it's not Uncharted 4. It would be kind of a letdown after TLOU.

Then again, Naughty Dog clearly knows their shit.

If it's Uncharted 4 I'm sure they'll pull in a lot of what they learned with TLOU. I'm guessing less combat focus is in the cards for the next UC.

The moment a Naughty Dog logo for a PS4 announcement appears at any conference people are going to freak out.

I know i am. Love them since crash bandicoot (okay, jak 2 and 3 weren't the direction i was hoping for the franchises but they were good games), but after uncharted and last of us?
I can't wait for their next game.

SKINNER!

Banned
If it's Uncharted 4 I'm sure they'll pull in a lot of what they learned with TLOU. I'm guessing less combat focus is in the cards for the next UC.

As much as I loved the Uncharted series I really want to see them try something different like they did with The Last of Us. I'm happy and satisfied with all 3 Uncharted games. Either way, the second they announce their next title on PS4 that's when I'll be picking up the new console.

Finished this over the weekend.

I really hope they don't do a sequel. Why does the video game industry always have to turn everything into a franchise? Let's let a piece stand by itself for once.

Interfectum

Finished this over the weekend.

I really hope they don't do a sequel. Why does the video game industry always have to turn everything into a franchise? Let's let a piece stand by itself for once.

A sequel isn't going to kill your enjoyment of this one. Personally I want to see more in this universe. There's a lot they could do with it.

Also, the game industry does a lot of sequels because they created an engine and gameplay design that they could easily iterate on and improve for a sequel.

Tadale

A sequel isn't going to kill your enjoyment of this one. Personally I want to see more in this universe. There's a lot they could do with it.

Also, the game industry does a lot of sequels because they created an engine and gameplay design that they could easily iterate on and improve for a sequel.

The fact that TLoU even got made in this day and age is a miracle, when other publishers are shoveling out bland sequels just as fast as they can. I'd like to see Naughty Dog use their creative freedom and talent to do something completely new on PS4.

antitrop

Ya, I'm not even bothering to attempt to play another game right now. I just installed Crysis 2 and the HD texture packs and I'm taking screenshots of it with an Infinite Health/Ammo/Energy trainer. http://www.flickr.com/photos/antitrop/sets/72157634272266801/ - for anyone who wants to see what pc games at 4K look like. Crysis 2 has some cool art, but it can't match The Last of Us.

Playing games from now on through the lens of The Last of Us is going to be brutal for those other games. The only thing really on my radar at all right now is GTA 5, because GTA 4 was not a disappointment to me (not really, it's certainly flawed, though) and I know Rockstar can deliver.

Andrew.

Banned
Ya, I'm not even bothering to attempt to play another game right now. I just installed Crysis 2 and the MaldhoHD texture packs and I'm taking screenshots of it with an Infinite Health/Ammo/Energy trainer.

Playing games from now on through the lens of The Last of Us is going to be brutal for those other games.

The only way I can soften the blow is to counteract the masterfulness with additional masterfulness.

Which means Ill have to play something along the lines of Metroid Prime, Chrono Trigger, or re4.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Are there separate teams at Naughty Dog? If so, I hope the TLoU team is assigned the next Uncharted.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Without spoiling please: Now that people have completed the game, is it viable to play on Hard with Listen mode turned Off the first time? Or is there sections that become a bit broken (without Listen mode)?

That, imo, is the only way to play dude.

LM is seriously just a crutch they put in there for certain types of players... I have never used it once in SP. My first playthrough was on hard, my next on survivor.

LM is superfluous, gamey bullshit.They have OHK enemies in this game. So for people who cannot really understand the mechanics of predatory stealth, or are too impatient, LM is there for them so they can lessen their frustration.

edit: Man, I'm familiar with your posts/preferences from reading them over the years (because they often align with my own), I fully expect you will love this game. Play on hard (normal gives you too much resources) and no LM. If you reach a point in the game where it's just too hard, you're doing something wrong. Rethink it, get creative, progress. Though, I do not think the game is ever too hard.

Top Bottom