• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

As much as I loved the Uncharted series I really want to see them try something different like they did with The Last of Us. I'm happy and satisfied with all 3 Uncharted games. Either way, the second they announce their next title on PS4 that's when I'll be picking up the new console.
TLOU is my favorite new IP but Uncharted is my favorite series. And I think it would be awesome if ND incorporated their advancements into U4

- "Wide" linear area with multiple approachs to combat, would be have a lot of verticality due to Drake's climbing

- Open areas to explore

- Optional comversations and contextual interactions/comments

- A more mature story, of course nowhere as bleak as TLOU but maybe explore Drake's character and motivations

- A more realistic sympathetic villain (a la David)

- Improved enemy and companion AI

JB1981

That, imo, is the only way to play dude.

LM is seriously just a crutch they put in there for certain types of players... I have never used it once in SP. My first playthrough was on hard, my next on survivor.

LM is superfluous, gamey bullshit.They have OHK enemies in this game. So for people who cannot really understand the mechanics of predatory stealth, or are too impatient, LM is there for them so they can lessen their frustration

100% agree. I never touched that shit and neither should anyone else. Listen Mode completely strips the game of the fear and tension the combat so beautifully captures. When I knew there was dudes around a corner I would get so fucking into planning a strategy that I'm surprised I wasn't crouching down in my own living room. I was Joel in those moments.. My heart rate was elevated, my palms were sweaty, my breathing picked up and my stomach had butterflies. I can't remember a game that pulled me in so completely. The stealth is so goddam good

slider

Finally got hold of this the new fashioned way; aka from the Store.

Unfortunately I'm getting a bit of motion sickness from it. Ugh. I'm gonna try to amend my style a little bit to see if it helps. Hope so cos I'm digging it so far.

As an aside, motion sickness from a third person perspective? I've never had that before. What the fuck is wrong with me??

Nozem

My heart rate was elevated, my palms were sweaty, my breathing picked up and my stomach had butterflies. I can't remember a game that pulled me in so completely. The stealth is so goddam good

For me that was the first Tenchu on the Playstation, I love that game to death. TLOU is one of the first games to be just as immersive for me.

wapplew

I wish TLOU team can do something fun and cheerful for a change.
Its pretty drain keep working on dark games. I don't want them die early.
Do something like crash team racing, recharge a bit then come back to heavy stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd like to see Naughty Dog take the stealth formula of The Last of Us and build it around a game for PS4 tier hardware, because to me it's pretty obvious the game was held back by the PS3's limitations, wrestling with more complex level design and AI behaviour than Uncharted ever dreamed to. Resulted in some very obvious compartmentalisation and zoning of encounters.

The Last of Us was, for me, far and away at it's best when it wasn't pushing you to some set piece, but given you a chunk of environment and a collective of AI to tackle, mixing stealth with hit-and-run tactics. The formula really could do with bigger, though equally dense environments, with more complex squad based AI behaviour. I can recall at least two instances in Summer where I could see the AI pop in and out of existence due to the small zone compartmentalising, which I assume was a limitation of the PS3.

Game needs better hardware.

IronRinn

Finished it this weekend. Very good game though the story — and it's telling — kept my attention more than the actual playing of it. I was kind of bored with the game part about halfway through, which was somewhat eased by the fact that there were longer stretches between combat sections towards the end. Still definitely worth playing.

DatDude

Banned
Finished it this weekend. Very good game though the story — and it's telling — kept my attention more than the actual playing of it. I was kind of bored with the game part about halfway through, which was somewhat eased by the fact that there were longer stretches between combat sections towards the end. Still definitely worth playing.

you should've played on hard than.

TheExodu5

Banned

I only got annoyed/bored with a few sections. One section which seemed particularly filler-ish to me was
when Ellie runs away on the horse and you have an encounter halways through the house...am I to believe Ellie just got through them and I couldn't?
. Seemed like blatent filler to me. Still, minor complaint as the game was beautifully paced, especially towards the end.

Jarek23

Banned
Well this is just amazing.

http://jwbeyond.deviantart.com/gallery/44285381

dont_make_a_sound_by_jwbeyond-d6a50ba.jpg

HardRojo

I anyone else having problems playing this game for more than an hour or two at a time? I'm really bad at stealth, and I have to do some parts over and over and the stress is so draining. I'm really enjoying the experience, but this game is going to take me a while to finish.

Not at all, played for about 6-7 hours straight yesterday, I could've kept going but there was some stuff I had to do.

krae_man

Is there any rhyme or reason to the games initial loading? The first time I started the game it took forever with the loading percentage going up hundredths of a percent at a time. Then on subsequent sessions sometimes it would start up inside 15 seconds before the loading percentage would even appear on screen. Other times the percentage would start in the 90's and one time it had to load all over again from 0.

Loading was well hidden the rest of the game however so everything was fine past the initial startup but it was still weird.

I finished the game last night. It was such a wonderful expeience. I played on hard and loved thed pacing. I loved the mix of stealth and hand to hand combat. I loved the story. I loved Joel and Ellie. I loved the ending. Took me about 18 hours on hard.

About the only thing I didn't love has been echo'ed in here before. I wasn't a huge fan of the freidnly AI acting like loud fools in situations that were clearly meant for silence. That being said, it felt like having the loud AI not agro clickers and such was the better of the two scenarios. It felt like a tradeoff, and one I was hapy to love with.

Plying on hard I got the sense of having to scavange for things. Having to save things for later encounters that might be more intense. IMO the brutality of the world fit. I know some people complained about the violence, but IMO it added the harshness of their environment. IMO
It also helps frame the mindset Joel might be going through at the end. He just wants to protect her so bad. Part of me thinks the motivations was selfish as well (it was), but I still felt like his main interest was to protect her and prevent her from having to feel any possible guilt because she's simply living her life. I think Joel was really shocked with the fireflys and their choice to continue the brutality for the chance at a cure. I felt like part of his decision was also to not let Ellie down. She had an idea in her hear about what the fireflys meant / symboled and telling her about their pot might worsen that. It seemed like Joel, and myself really, felt like Ellie embodied what was good with the human spirit in contrast with the surroundings. I would have done the same thing I think.

Maxxan

Not to dwell too far into the discussion on ND's next title, but I think Bend did well enough with Golden Abyss to be put in charge of Uncharted 4. That would also allow not one, but two ND teams to make new IPs for the PS4! (Want them to save the sequel until the end of the next gen)

antitrop

Pretty nice screen caps. Whats your hardware?
Overclocked i7-2600k, GTX 590.

Frame rate varies between 10-20fps, rendering the game pretty much unplayable, hence the need for the cheats/trainer.I'm easily maxing out the 1.5GB of VRAM in the 590. Low VRAM being a huge drawback of a dual-GPU x90 card. I won't be buying one again, since I enjoy maxing out games at the highest resolutions as a hobby. That's a recent thing, though. The 590 has been pretty much top of the line for regular gaming since I bought it, only recently has it dropped to a mid-end card. It was the best card I could get when it came out in 2011, but in hindsight I should have went for 2 3GB 580s in SLI instead.

I only got annoyed/bored with a few sections. One section which seemed particularly filler-ish to me was
when Ellie runs away on the horse and you have an encounter halways through the house...am I to believe Ellie just got through them and I couldn't?
. Seemed like blatent filler to me. Still, minor complaint as the game was beautifully paced, especially towards the end.

I agree with you on that part, but I'd like to think the developers motivation for this was
that the bandits were surprised and unprepared for Ellie's drive-by on a horse and after that they went into alert mode for possibly more people who might come through their establishment. Later on in Winter she also escapes on a horse while being attacked by a lot of bandits and here there were only like 5 guys.

IronRinn

interesting. not a fan of stealth games i presume?

I might not be a fan of stealth games as they are now. My entire playthrough kind of felt like it consisted of listening to see where enemies were doing their routes, get near one, toss bottle into corner, choke them out/stab them, move up. Repeat until area is clear. Shoot a couple guys if they see you. Parts with the infected were a little more tense only because runners could see you from a mile away. It just became repetitive

I almost would have liked it if there were only a handful of combat situations during the whole game, with enemies far more powerful and well equipped.

You would have preferred to start on Crushing? What the hell is wrong with you people. Crushing is the opposite of fun (Bullet sponge, cheap bullshit).

This is coming from someone who has beaten Gears of War on Insane and the Halo series on Legendary for fun.

Naughty Dog simply doesn't know how to balance the highest difficulty. Ever.

I disagree with that. I'm not hugely skilled at these things, but I managed Uncharted 2 on Crushing, and aside from a couple of difficulty spikes like
those FUCKING DJINN
Uncharted 3 was manageable on Hard (haven't gone back for my Crushing play through yet). In both games I felt it just required a slower and more considered approach, but it was never unfair or unmanageable. I'm playing TLoU on Hard (will maybe go back for a Survivor play through, although I'll miss listen mode!) and it's been absolutely fair so far, unless you're terrible at stealth.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yep. It's a problem I've found with all of Uncharted, and now The Last of Us. Sometimes Naughty Dog throw encounters at you that seem to be there for the sake of encounters and not natural progression of gameplay. Kinda like and now people are here and they're shooting!!!.

I get why they wanted to pace the game between multiple styles of game design, but just as I don't think there's much special about Uncharted's stand-alone shooter combat, I don't think there's much special with The Last of Us either. It works, but the game is always at its best when the level design is more open and the encounters built to cater for a wider variety of play styles.

It's for this reason I though the near opening sequence of
Autumn/Fall
was kinda weak from a gameplay perspective.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One of my favorite lines in the game:

Ellie:
"I know how to pop a clutch."

Bill: "Where did you learn how to... *grumbles* nevermind"

It would have been easy to make Ellie the damsel in distress, ND didn't do that, thankfully... and yet they still retained a sensible level of vulnerability (for all characters).

Yeah, the overall plot might have been pretty cliche, but it was still executed very well, and the dialog / performances elevated it higher than it had any business reaching. Even days later, it's lingering with me.

DatDude

Banned
I might not be a fan of stealth games as they are now. My entire playthrough kind of felt like it consisted of listening to see where enemies were doing their routes, get near one, toss bottle into corner, choke them out/stab them, move up. Repeat until area is clear. Shoot a couple guys if they see you. Parts with the infected were a little more tense only because runners could see you from a mile away. It just became repetitive

I almost would have liked it if there were only a handful of combat situations during the whole game, with enemies far more powerful and well equipped.

you should give it a go on easy maybe. i tried it there, and the game becomes very actiony.

Nothing more enjoyable than going melee with a baseball bat on any enemy without ever having to worry about dying.

Plus I feel the weapons like the cross bow, and the flamethrower managed to spice combat up a bit no?

DatDude

Banned
I agree with you on that part, but I'd like to think the developers motivation for this was
that the bandits were surprised and unprepared for Ellie's drive-by on a horse and after that they went into alert mode for possibly more people who might come through their establishment. Later on in Winter she also escapes on a horse while being attacked by a lot of bandits and here there were only like 5 guys.

That's what I thought as well.

Either that, or they followed joel.

Also, I don't mind the encounter, even if it was filler, only because the actual environment was fun and interesting to be in.

I got bored after the first page, but I he made a convincing argument.

Knowing you I imagine spec ops was the first for you.

IronRinn

you should give it a go on easy maybe. i tried it there, and the game becomes very actiony.

Nothing more enjoyable than going melee with a baseball bat on any enemy without ever having to worry about dying.

Plus I feel the weapons like the cross bow, and the flamethrower managed to spice combat up a bit no?

Maybe, but I think maybe the answer, for me at least, is just to have less of it. There's nothing wrong with that progression of listen->throw bottle->knock out/kill a dude, but there is when you have me do it every half hour or so, let's say. If you have me do that every hour or two hours, against enemies who are more capable physically but make me feel more competent mentally, that might be a more interesting scenario, especially considering the subject matter.

Again, I'm not sure that's the answer to my specific feelings of boredom, but it's the best way around the problem that I can think of in this case. I certainly don't think you can convince a company to spend millions of dollars making a game in which the player only gets into combat, say, 8 times (my play time was 19 hours or so).

Edit: Or maybe my whole issue stems from AI limitations. I'm not sure. All I know is that something about it didn't grab me.

DatDude

Banned
Maybe, but I think maybe the answer, for me at least, is just to have less of it. There's nothing wrong with that progression of listen->throw bottle->knock out/kill a dude, but there is when you have me do it every half hour or so, let's say. If you have me do that every hour or two hours, against enemies who are more capable physically but make me feel more competent mentally, that might be a more interesting scenario, especially considering the subject matter.

Again, I'm not sure that's the answer to my specific feelings of boredom, but it's the best way around the problem that I can think of in this case. I certainly don't think you can convince a company to spend millions of dollars making a game in which the player only gets into combat, say, 8 times (my play time was 19 hours or so).

I don't know.

personally I felt the game always managed to spice itself up with the various enemies.

The hunters, the humans, always felt more smarter, flanking and what not. An always presented this nice challenge. It was more tactical in a sense.

The infected. You had to be more methodical and stealthy.

I think that's why the game never managed to bore me, because I always felt the encounters themselves, whether it be humans or infected, always presented a sincere challenge.

Also give survivor a go. Knowing 2 bullets can kill you, while battling with extremely limited resources could surely spell some of the boredom away.

Zaki2407

Aw maaan.... My launched phat PS3 just died for the 4th time. I just barely 2,5 hour into the game. Is it because the overheat? If so, then what should I do?...... (ToT)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thought of a few more things:

I don't think I like this game, and I'm jealous of those who do. Seems like you're all having a great time.

I think it mostly comes down to the amount of combat encounters and how the A.I plays them out. Maybe it's different on higher difficulties, but it all seems very Uncharted-esque. Walk into an area with waist-high boxes and lane dividers, expect a gunfight. You can sneak by the brain-dead enemies with relative ease (they don't even have Batman's 'panic' mode as you slowly pick them off - they just walk up to a corpse, say 'Fuck' and shake up their patrol a little), and some areas won't let you progress if they're still alive and in combat with you (Ellie: "We can't, there's too many of them!").

Ally characters also remind me that we aren't quite 'there' yet with companion A.I (disliked Bioshock Infinite for similar reasons). They should follow your lead and crouch/act stealthy when you decide to. I lost all sense of paranoia and fear after I figured out that they'll just stand and walk around when there aren't any enemies in the area, and will only crouch with you when in combat. So I felt the game was at its best when you were alone, which definitely shouldn't be the case, given the game's emotional hook in Ellie/Joel.

Late Winter Spoiler:
I really wish enemies worked more like David instead as opposed to Uncharted's gunfight mercenaries. I was shocked to see someone finally have the mildest survival instincts and crouch to try to get the jump on me. It would have brought variety to the far-too-frequent gunfights versus humans, at least, which don't have the benefit of 'classes' like the fungies. I definitely don't have a problem with those fungies. They're fun to fight and I love the concept.
If I were to rebalance the game, there'd be fewer enemies per encounter, they'd be a lot smarter/David-esque and Joel would have much less health (on all difficulties). The game would be more strategic, methodical, and mistakes would be fatal.

Late Fall Spoiler:
Not gameplay related, by Joel's abdominal wound really bugged me. Most people would die from that, especially after the amount of shock and trauma he experienced after all of his tumbles and general blood loss shortly afterwards. I had to wonder why they decided to go with something so ridiculously extreme instead of having him break a few limbs and getting a concussion from the fall (for the immediate 'oh no loss of control' factor). General exaggerated videogame HP bullshit aside, this was the only time (so far - we're up to Spring now) I had been taken aback by the amount of physical trauma they expected Joel to live through. Telltale's The Walking Dead took injury more seriously, and I respect them for that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yep. It's a problem I've found with all of Uncharted, and now The Last of Us. Sometimes Naughty Dog throw encounters at you that seem to be there for the sake of encounters and not natural progression of gameplay. Kinda like and now people are here and they're shooting!!!.

I get why they wanted to pace the game between multiple styles of game design, but just as I don't think there's much special about Uncharted's stand-alone shooter combat, I don't think there's much special with The Last of Us either. It works, but the game is always at its best when the level design is more open and the encounters built to cater for a wider variety of play styles.

It's for this reason I though the near opening sequence of
Autumn/Fall
was kinda weak from a gameplay perspective.

I think the weakest section in TLoU that really exemplifies this was the part where
you're chained upside down and need to protect Ellie. Up until this point you were scavenging for ammo and suddenly you're put in a section where you magically have unlimited ammo.
Pretty disappointed they felt the need to put that in there. Kind of cheapens the game.

Edit: Or maybe my whole issue stems from AI limitations. I'm not sure. All I know is that something about it didn't grab me.

Did you use the bow during your stealth runs? Super effective and fun. Once you get good, you can safely not lose a ton of ammo either as you can pull it from their dead bodies.

khaaan

hmmm...a lot of the comments in this thread are pushing me towards doing a playthrough on survivor. I'm not a very good at stealth games, and even less so at shooters but normal has already been a tense challenging experience. One of the problems I had was not knowing where to go. Often times I'll clear out an entire room (pretty un-elegantly I might add) only two walk around in circles for a few times and realize "Oh! You wanted me to go through this door?". I also haven't been using smokebombs, bricks/bottles or my bow very effectively either...It took the winter segment of the game for me to realize how useful it is.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah I wish they would have made AI more competent while reducing the number of shots they can take. One well placed rifle or shotgun shot should take out an AI. Make AI smarter, reduce AI health pools but make ammo more limited...this would make things more tense and a bit more volatile.

question:

for people who got spoiled for the game beforehand?

how did you get spoiled? like it can't a one liner - its much more complex, like infinite. with context.

???

Gbraga

What disappointed me gameplay-wise was
how underused Stalkers were. I feel like Bloaters were more frequent than Stalkers, they really should've used them better for more variety during stealth-horror segments

Top Bottom