• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

burgerdog

I guess Hard seems to match the desperate world in the game better, which is why I like it. It's also a different way to play the game, making you use everything you have instead of hoarding it, even moreso in Survivor mode. Dat lack of shivs.

Survival has been ridiculously easy for me after my experience with hard mode. The lack of shivs does not phase me at all. I only use them for shiv doors since clickers are super easy to kill with bricks.

MrDaravon

As soon as you jump down to the bottom level turn around 180 and go into the room to your left. hide behind a desk and wait for the runner to walk by. sneak up and strangle him. now leave that room and go right down the hallway and at the end there will be a stationary runner to the left. sneak up and strangle him. with those two down it should make things a little more manageable. if you can try sneaking up on the other two runners all the better. as long as you are quiet the clicker wont move from his position.

I was doing all that, the problem was I couldn't seem to get either of the other two down without the clicker noticing somehow, either by trying to catch them as far away as possible on their routes or using a bottle/brick.

I'm wondering if my problem is that I'm thinking that the listen mode gives me more information than it actually does; except for the last time every single time I got noticed I have literally zero clue how I was seen or heard, so maybe I'm trusting it too much or something.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Jesus Christ, I died literally five or six times on Normal in the first
Clicker
encounter (like 2-3 hours in, spoiler tagging this since I don't know how sensitive people are). I don't usually die that many times in an entire game :/. Kept getting spotted by
the last two runners that in the same area as the Clicker, I just couldn't get seem to either lure them away safely with bricks/bottles or otherwise stealth kill them out without the Clicker being alerted. And the time I did do it I had to fight it out because one of the Runners somehow saw me and the Clicker got kinda stuck and I got two headshots on him.

Oh okay, I'm just a baby apparently, carry on :p

I don't think you are a baby.

Here's what I will say to that... you didn't have to stealth. You had enough ammo, bricks, and pipes to go to war with them and still have shit left over. That's the difference in normal.

TLoU isn't really a stealth game. And many times, even if you stealth all the way through an area, you still have to fight unless you killed everyone there like Solid Snake. Stealth is just another tool in your arsenal, and it becomes more important the less resources you have. Then you have to pick your battles.

But the point is, on normal... fire away. You will be swimming in ammo and craftables in no time.

I was doing all that, the problem was I couldn't seem to get either of the other two down without the clicker noticing somehow, either by trying to catch them as far away as possible on their routes or using a bottle/brick.

I'm wondering if my problem is that I'm thinking that the listen mode gives me more information than it actually does; except for the last time every single time I got noticed I have literally zero clue how I was seen or heard, so maybe I'm trusting it too much or something.

A bottle will set the click off instantly. Maybe watch some youtube vids.

http://youtu.be/BPod7awcUGU

Leeness

So after a few days of thinking on it, I'm gonna go ahead and declare this my game of the forever. :D

1. The Last of Us
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Portal 1/2 (they're one game, I don't curr)
4. Earthbound/Mother 3 (again, don't curr)
5. Xenoblade

:D

MrDaravon

I don't think you are a baby.

Here's what I will say to that... you didn't have to stealth. You had enough ammo, bricks, and pipes to go to war with them and still have shit left over. That's the difference in normal.

TLoU isn't really a stealth game. And many times, even if you stealth all the way through an area, you still have to fight unless you killed everyone there like Solid Snake. Stealth is just another tool in your arsenal, and it becomes more important the less resources you have. Then you have to pick your battles.

But the point is, on normal... fire away. You will be swimming in ammo and craftables in no time.

I'll have to keep that in mind; having intentionally not followed the game much I was under the impression that wouldn't be the case, at least not on normal, but it looks like that's the argument you're making (normal should really be easy).

A bottle will set the click off instantly. Maybe watch some youtube vids.

http://youtu.be/BPod7awcUGU

In the video he tried throwing a bottle exactly where I did and it didn't set the clicker off there, but when I choked out the guy in the exact same spot the clicker (or maybe the other runner on the left somehow?) spotted me. Then the last runner he choked out I choked out in the exact same spot as well and the clicker heard me. I don't know if I just got super unlucky or what man :(

Also the runners don't respond to the flashlight at all? I thought one of the load screens said that they still have vision, but they didn't seem to care in the video about the flashlight. Not complaining, just trying to understand.

Astral

I'm having trouble starting my Survivor playthrough. I'm still taking in the ending and the game as whole. I think I also wanna experience the intro with someone this time. It's just too good.

I believe the only people saying this were in the game enthusiast echo-chamber.

My friend who's a major game but non-enthusiast thought it was happening because he hadn't "heard anyone talking about the game."

I assume that's because the majority of his friends only have 360s and are too busy playing COD to even try TLoU.

I think ND made normal to be more lenient because of the people who may just jump into it and not grasp the stealth and lose the 'this is a shooter' mentality in a third person action game and need to adjust.

There was less stress in normal because I received less damage and had more supplies. If constant pressure and stress from lack of supplies and feeling overwhelmed freaks you out and impacts the way you feel about the game in a negative way, I see no reason why you shouldn't change it to normal. They make it so that you always have enough supplies to get through sections, even if you screw it up pretty bad in normal.

I guess Hard seems to match the desperate world in the game better, which is why I like it. It's also a different way to play the game, making you use everything you have instead of hoarding it, even moreso in Survivor mode. Dat lack of shivs.
I generally play a game based off the difficulty setting that the highlighter defaults on.

It's the one they are most confident so why not?

elcapitan

Is it possible to stealth that section? I tried on normal but it seemed impossible to me, I would get detected every single time. I might just try and throw a bottle and burn as many with the molotov as I can in one go...

It's totally possible. I know, because I've done it on Survivor. The trick is to grab them from around corners. They move too quick to sneak up from behind, so you have to lie in wait for them.

Did the glitch to do survivor+ without beating survivor first, I am making this game my bitch. I'm having a much easier time on this compared to my first time on hard since I grasped how to play the right way. I'm about an hour before I get to fall and I've only used 2 medpacks all game. I can't get enough of this game.

BoSox06DH

Just finished the game now and the ending cinematic froze on me twice. I had to skip it in order to actually finish it. Pretty pissed that I couldn't experience the ending like I should have.

So Hank William's Alone and Forsaken was featured prominently in the trailers and in a section of the game. Anyone see any thematic links between the song and the game?

Here are the lyrics:

We met in the springtime when blossoms unfold
The pastures were green and the meadows were gold
Our love was in flower as summer grew on
Our love like the leaves now have withered and gone

The roses have faded, there's frost at my door
The birds in the morning don't sing anymore
The grass in the valley is starting to die
And out in the darkness the whippoorwills cry

Alone and forsaken by fate and by man
Oh Lord, if you hear me, please hold to my hand
Oh, please understand

Oh, where has she gone to? Oh, where can she be?
She may have forsaken some other like me
She promised to honor to love and obey
Each vow was a plaything that she threw away

Oh, please understand

The darkness has fallen, the sky has turned gray
The hound in the distance is starting to bay
I wonder, I wonder what she's thinking of
Forsaken, forgotten, without any love

Oh, please understand
Oh, please understand

Vesper73

Ok, just finished this masterpiece a couple of hours ago.

Must say I'm pretty upset that it is over. :(

A game this good leaves you thinking, "Well now what....."

So, now what?

rataplein

i finish it after 16.25 hs... and i loved it. played on hard, but with wallhack mode on. i even upgraded it.... but to be honest it was only helpfull in close quarters and only when i got a guy just by the door or something like that. i think survivor will be fine.

but, i plan to do the platinum trophy... so:

before i start my new game survivor run: should i find all the artifacts in my hard run via chapter select?. and even if i do that... i will still have to do the shiv doors, conversations and upgrades on my survivor run, right?.

i think i don't care about the shivs, because i barely use them and only at the beginning. do you think that in survivor i will be able to open all doors and find everything else without problems?.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I avoided pretty much all media after the reveal trailer so I went into this fresh. Played it on hard and it's obviously well made, but I can't help that some of the combat encounters just weren't fun at all. The AI could get super cheap or be completely dumb. I really love fucking with the guards in the Metal Gear games, but it just wasn't much fun here. Then there were the sections which you couldn't stealth at all and you needed to eliminate everyone to proceed.

Story and characterization were great, as to be expected. Frame rate was acceptable but definitely a distraction in some places. Curse you ND for using L2 for an essential function. What a horrible button.

I really enjoyed it though, but I don't seem to be falling all over myself for it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I know this sounds fanboyish, but The Last of Us is so good it makes the other similar big budget games seem less interesting. Who wants to go back to convulted stories and unfocused gameplay (traits that will surely define Watch_Dogs, ACV, and GTAV) after playing The Last of Us? I sure as hell don't.

Alienous

I know this sounds fanboyish, but The Last of Us is so good it makes the other similar big budget games seem less interesting. Who wants to go back to convulted stories and unfocused gameplay (traits that will surely define Watch_Dogs, ACV, and GTAV) after playing The Last of Us? I sure as hell don't.

Well here's where gaming ends for you. Look, I appreciate a thought-provoking film every now and then, but I still need to watch my popcorn movies.

If every game were as dense as The Last of Us, I couldn't manage.

Jesus Christ, I died literally five or six times on Normal in the first
Clicker
encounter (like 2-3 hours in, spoiler tagging this since I don't know how sensitive people are). I don't usually die that many times in an entire game :/. Kept getting spotted by
the last two runners that in the same area as the Clicker, I just couldn't get seem to either lure them away safely with bricks/bottles or otherwise stealth kill them out without the Clicker being alerted. And the time I did do it I had to fight it out because one of the Runners somehow saw me and the Clicker got kinda stuck and I got two headshots on him.

That was probably the most difficult part of the game for me, until I eventually got sick of trying to sneak my way through and just killed them all.

It will affect my ability to play games that try and take themselves seriously for sure. I don't believe the uncharted games or other big budget titles like gta are always trying to take themselves seriously though. Very few games succeed when trying to pull off adult themes though and I agree that TLoU has set a large bar for those that try to in the future.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well here's where gaming ends for you. Look, I appreciate a thought-provoking film every now and then, but I still need to watch my popcorn movies.

If every game were as dense as The Last of Us, I couldn't manage.

The problem is that the majority of AAA games are "popcorn flicks". The Transformers of the gaming world are the norm while something like the The Last of Us comes around once or twice a generation.

I really enjoyed it though, but I don't seem to be falling all over myself for it.

Now that I've had a day to digest the game after finishing it, I feel essentially the same as you - right down to how some combat scenarios were designed and forced upon the player. I can recall one really, really annoying section where I successfully passed several enemies without being detected, only to have a new (and scripted) batch of enemies appear who knew exactly where I was. It was unnecessary, and it completely broke my understanding of how to approach each new combat encounter.

The game is a marvel in terms of how it tells a story, equaled only by Spec Ops. But yea, I hope ND is able to sort out some of the kinks if they ever produce another game set in the TLOU universe.

Cloudy

Banned

I feel the same way and I haven't finished it yet. Will this game ruin gaming for me?

Vodh

Man, I'm halfway through Final Fantasy XIII, stopped playing it because GAF's enthusiasm convinced me to get The Last of Us. Which I have now finished.

And after about 10 hours of the story being insufferably badly written and about 20 hours of mechanics tutorial I've actually started enjoying FFXIII. I'm fucked.

elcapitan

This game has some crazy glitches. During the section where
you push the car with Bill,
I blew off a Clicker's head and it still managed to grab me. Pretty funny seeing a bloody stump try to eat me. It went into the death animation for a few moments before I regained control. After that,
Bill and Ellie (in the car) become invisible.

Stillmatic

Superflat

Man, I'm halfway through Final Fantasy XIII, stopped playing it because GAF's enthusiasm convinced me to get The Last of Us. Which I have now finished.

And after about 10 hours of the story being insufferably badly written and about 20 hours of mechanics tutorial I've actually started enjoying FFXIII. I'm fucked.

HAHA

My sister started playing her old save from FFXIII today, and hearing Troy Baker's voice Snow was fucking bizarre. The dialogue, cutscene (mis)management, everything *_*

Couldn't stop thinking about how everything, presentation-wise, probably won't live up to TLOU for a long time. Maybe I'll play some SH2.

There was a silver lining though, I was reminded of why I like FXIII's combat :p

aristotle

I've been trying to hunt down some streams of the (45-50% spoilers)
hotel basement
section, just to see some funny scrambling/reactions. Haven't found much good ones, maybe it was just me lol.

Don't watch if you haven't passed the 45-50% mark.

http://youtu.be/KBabbcSe-BI?t=11m3s

Some of his comments got me.
http://youtu.be/4hICScfHFjE?t=4m10s

best one so far:
http://youtu.be/uULKmxgovpM?t=9m44s

So glad I don't yet have access to streaming, I was shitting my pants. Goddamn.

I found this one. Their reactions are hilarious. It's like 17 minutes, but they're funny as hell. 6 minutes in it when it goes nuts for them. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDBY46K1FxM

I was thinking about this as well. Not necessarily in the context of FF, though I did only enjoy the last 40% or so of FFXIII, but that this story was so well told I'm having a hard time thinking of another game I've played that can even come close in comparison. RPG games are story based games and none of the ones I've played evoked the sort of emotions this game did in me. Granted i don't play many, but really, i cant think of any game that has made me feel this way. Shit I post on the gaming side twice a year and yet I've spent all day in the spoilers thread discussing things.

Radec

Someone upload the Season Pass documentaries!

3AQmK.gif

thefro

You figure wrong... normal imo is a concession they made to limit frustration for people who might be used to only playing shooters and not keen to think about their resources/actions.

They want people to have a good impression, not be frustrated, and even though they had the balls to make a game with OHK's and limited resources, they probably couldn't go all the way and make it the default difficulty.

It's the right move because they didn't really bother putting a difficulty curve in on normal... it goes from the tutorial right into a OHK section. I kinda appreciate that they take the training wheels off fairly early but I could see someone without experience from Uncharted/Resident Evil/Metal Gear Solid struggling.

Superflat

I was thinking about this as well. Not necessarily in the context of FF, though I did only enjoy the last 40% or so of FFXIII, but that this story was so well told I'm having a hard time thinking of another game I've played that can even come close in comparison. RPG games are story based games and none of the ones I've played evoked the sort of emotions this game did in me. Granted i don't play many, but really, i cant think of any game that has made me feel this way. Shit I post on the gaming side twice a year and yet I've spent all day in the spoilers thread discussing things.

Pretty much. I found that most RPGs in the end had really grand stories that didn't make for very intimate and realistic drama, not to mention that they're not very personal. The end is usually bombastic and for the greater good/against a definite evil/destiny fulfilling. TLOU sort of scratched an itch I didn't know I had.

Just hit Pittsburgh.

How far am I? I feel like I am hitting a half way point.

Just started Pittsburgh? Not at the halfway point yet :p
I'd say... 35% maybe? Story-wise, quite early.

Top Bottom