• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Dakota47

Something I can really appreciate about this game is that fleeing from an encounter is (most of the times at least) a viable option. I'm at 64% at the moment and I'm not ashamed to admit I've done it twice now. The first time was in the
hotel cellar
. When I found out what I had to do there I simply
picked up the keycard, started the generator and made a mad dash for the exit
. The second time was when I encountered the
sniper
. I may have killed two or three dudes, but my basic strategy was
to get to the house as fast as possible

Coverly

Finished the game on the weekend. Easily one of my top for this generation.

I think what most people saw in this game were the relationships between characters or the game world itself and the questions it raises. But for me who is going through the process of home renovation in real life, what I paid most attention to where the homes. What type of wooden floors did they use, what type of kitchen layout is in the home, is that a prefab shower? I seriously took extra time in every home and building to look at all the layout and cosmetics of the place. Thanks Naughty Dog for helping on the home improvement front, I won't tell my contractor where I got some of my ideas from.

Something I can really appreciate about this game is that fleeing from an encounter is (most of the times at least) a viable option. I'm at 64% at the moment and I'm not ashamed to admit I've done it twice now. The first time was in the
hotel cellar
. When I found out what I had to do there I simply
picked up the keycard, started the generator and made a mad dash for the exit
. The second time was when I encountered the
sniper
. I may have killed two or three dudes, but my basic strategy was
to get to the house as fast as possible

Yeah I loved that too. The flight or fight mechanic in this game works great.

khaaan

Throwing a bottle is the worst thing you could do. (if you want to stealth)

Stalkers, in the beginning... just kind of sulk around. But if one of them spots you, or become alerted, they ge into aggro and start bolting around everywhere.

At that point you (afaik) can no longer stealth kill them.

You must get them before they aggro.

Is that even possible? I feel like even that amount of noise would aggro everything in the area. The only way I managed to get through that section was by
standing in that corner with a weapon out, making a hell of a lot of noise and made each shot count.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is that even possible? I feel like even that amount of noise would aggro everything in the area. The only way I managed to get through that section was by
standing in that corner with a weapon out, making a hell of a lot of noise and made each shot count.

I'm going to try stealthing it my next time through. They give you an achievement for
stealth killing one of them
, so it must be possible. You just have to be very careful I guess.

If they start
running around
, you've messed it up somehow. That's what I think at this point. Next time through I will experiment.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just came out of
the metro with the swimming section
. I've played enough to say this is easily the best game of its kind. It's far, far ahead. I'm impressed with Naughty Dogs maturity, moreso after the disappointment that was Uncharted 3. Unless the rest of the game isn't as good, this is a masterpiece of epic proportions. Makes me anticipate next gen for the very first time.

Is it possible to stealth that section? I tried on normal but it seemed impossible to me, I would get detected every single time. I might just try and throw a bottle and burn as many with the molotov as I can in one go...

I really don't think it is. There are the ones that sulk around and then there are ones that just stand there inactive. I ended up just making noise to draw the clickers, burned both of them with a molotov and then slowly drew in the others with noises and sticking my neck out far enough. I set a nail bomb trap for one of them too. It was a fun section once I threw stealth out the window.

Dragon

Banned
Just came out of the (location spoilers)
metro with the swimming section
. I've played enough to say this is easily the best game of its kind ever done... I'm impressed with Naughty Dogs maturity, moreso after the disappointment that was Uncharted 3. Unless the rest of the game isn't as good, this is a masterpiece of epic proportions. Makes me anticipate next gen for the very first time.

Don't spoil locations peeps.

Tangeroo

Don't play Uncharted 3 immediately after finishing TLOU.

Don't do it.

It's shocking.

Just don't do it.

It's funny... I was actually just about to do this. I've already played through Uncharted 3 but after finishing TLOU, I wanted to play UC3 again to see how different the experiences were. In what way was it shocking? The difference in storytelling? Combat style? Visual fidelity?

baphomet

I saw you say 7 yesterday.

Elaborate.

I finished it in
hours. I don't want to go into too much as to not spoil anything, but
after the 2 brothers died
I could not believe I was only about half through. My girlfriend sat and watched me play through the entire game, and it just dragged on and on and on. It wasn't like they introduced anything new gameplay wise at any point in the game. Shooting, finding ladders, grabbing crates to swim on, etc. I enjoyed the game, but it just went on way, way too long. Even though I wanted to see the rest of the story, I started dreading sitting down to put more time into it.

Would not play again.

Lakitu

st5fu
So I have it on pause. Because A) this game is bloody brilliant but more importantly B) (summer spoilers?)
I am scared shitless. I'm in the area where I just had to power up the generator to use the keycard. When that happens, everything goes completely insane and it gets even worse when I notice a bloater chasing after me among other things. So first thing I think of is just to run as fast as I can to open the door. Silly me... I forgot I had to use the keycard, when I notice the bloater has just arrived in the passage and throws that spore grenade thing at me. I stumble and awkwardly move to the keypad but out of fear I noticed the bloater the running at me, I ran into a corner instead. I am so fucking scared.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I finished it in
hours. I don't want to go into too much as to not spoil anything, but
after the 2 brothers died
I could not believe I was only about half through. My girlfriend sat and watched me play through the entire game, and it just dragged on and on and on. It wasn't like they introduced anything new gameplay wise at any point in the game. Shooting, finding ladders, grabbing crates to swim on, etc. I enjoyed the game, but it just went on way, way too long. Even though I wanted to see the rest of the story, I started dreading sitting down to put more time into it.

Would not play again.
Your experience is certainly valid and I respect your opinion regarding the game's length; I will simply say I disagree wholeheartedly and felt active dismay as I realized the game must be drawing to a close. I would have accepted another solid hour of small character beats before the credits in a heartbeat.
So I have it on pause. Because A) this game is bloody brilliant but more importantly B) (summer spoilers?)
I am scared shitless. I'm in the area where I just had to power up the generator to use the keycard. When that happens, everything goes completely insane and it gets even worse when I notice a bloater chasing after me among other things. So first thing I think of is just to run as fast as I can to open the door. Silly me... I forgot I had to use the keycard, when I notice the bloater has just arrived in the passage and throws that spore grenade thing at me. I stumble and awkwardly move to the keypad but out of fear I noticed the bloater the running at me, I ran into a corner instead. I am so fucking scared.
Terrifyingly crafted set piece. That was the one part of the game I took a break during because it was messing with me. My first try went about exactly like yours and I wound up
getting my head torn off

Showaddy

God damn has anyone seen the week 1 sales? 1.2 million according to VG-Chartz, that's absolutely insane for a single platform new IP with very little marketing (that I could see).

N2NOther

Banned
Finished it this weekend. Very good game though the story — and it's telling — kept my attention more than the actual playing of it. I was kind of bored with the game part about halfway through, which was somewhat eased by the fact that there were longer stretches between combat sections towards the end. Still definitely worth playing.
While I wouldn't say I was bored persé, I tend to agree. I think the gameplay was weak compared to the story and character moments. The pacing got a lot better towards the end.

I died more than a few times here. Nothing I tried worked. Eventually just making a break for it was what did it for me.

Before turning on the generator, go upstairs and kill a few of the clickers. Then turn it on and run.

Gbraga

They were straight up
"clever girl".

Imo one of the few spots where it seemed like ND was borrowing a bit. Even though they were cool, felt a little too trope-y and I'm glad they (and the bloaters) were a rarity.

I hate high enemy variety in this kind of setting, so I'm with you. But since they already made them, why not use them properly?

The part with a Bloater that I loved was inside the University, that sound was frightening

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Ellie has a really REAAAALLY filthy mouth! I mean, the shit she says sometimes is just like a 14 year old would talk if they could say shit and fuck every other sentence. lol

rCIZZLE

Not sure how I feel about the online mode right now. Seems like a great idea but I'm getting hit with way too many corner-bending-Wanted-style shots for this to be enjoyable.

dralla

So I beat this and I wanna play it again but it kept crashing my PS3 and I'm nervous, I don't want to kill my PS3 :( I've got a launch model with full BC. Any word if they're working on a fix for the crashing? I know it's a known issue with older PS3's

Ellie has a really REAAAALLY filthy mouth! I mean, the shit she says sometimes is just like a 14 year old would talk if they could say shit and fuck every other sentence. lol

So the typical middle school to early high school individual when they are not at home? Sounds about right.

Game is sold out everywhere in Canada, what the hell. I already own it but I've never seen this happen before excluding niche shit like Ni No Kuni.

Just mind boggling.

Superflat

I figure normal is the default way ND intended this to be played.

I think ND made normal to be more lenient because of the people who may just jump into it and not grasp the stealth and lose the 'this is a shooter' mentality in a third person action game and need to adjust.

There was less stress in normal because I received less damage and had more supplies. If constant pressure and stress from lack of supplies and feeling overwhelmed freaks you out and impacts the way you feel about the game in a negative way, I see no reason why you shouldn't change it to normal. They make it so that you always have enough supplies to get through sections, even if you screw it up pretty bad in normal.

I guess Hard seems to match the desperate world in the game better, which is why I like it. It's also a different way to play the game, making you use everything you have instead of hoarding it, even moreso in Survivor mode. Dat lack of shivs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I figure normal is the default way ND intended this to be played.

You figure wrong... normal imo is a concession they made to limit frustration for people who might be used to only playing shooters and not keen to think about their resources/actions.

They want people to have a good impression, not be frustrated, and even though they had the balls to make a game with OHK's and limited resources, they probably couldn't go all the way and make it the default difficulty.

In normal you are tripping over shit to pick up, and it takes away from the game.

Hard is normal, if you play video games or consider yourself a core gamer, and hard in more is line with the game's theme and tone. Normal is a theme park.

papercamm

This game is neck and neck with Infinite as my favorite game of this year. And I wasn't expecting the multiplayer to be as awesome as it is either.

MrDaravon

Jesus Christ, I died literally five or six times on Normal in the first
Clicker
encounter (like 2-3 hours in, spoiler tagging this since I don't know how sensitive people are). I don't usually die that many times in an entire game :/. Kept getting spotted by
the last two runners that in the same area as the Clicker, I just couldn't get seem to either lure them away safely with bricks/bottles or otherwise stealth kill them out without the Clicker being alerted. And the time I did do it I had to fight it out because one of the Runners somehow saw me and the Clicker got kinda stuck and I got two headshots on him.

You figure wrong... normal imo is a concession they made to limit frustration for people who might be used to only playing shooters and not keen to think about their resources/actions.

They want people to have a good impression, not be frustrated, and even though they had the balls to make a game with OHK's and limited resources, they probably couldn't go all the way and make it the default difficulty.

In normal you are tripping over shit to pick up, and it takes away from the game.

Hard is normal, if you play video games or consider yourself a core gamer, and hard in more is line with the game's theme and tone. Normal is a theme park.

Oh okay, I'm just a baby apparently, carry on :p

Something horrible happened to me. I decided to play a relaxing new game plus on normal after beating survivor thinking that I could play the new game plus survivor edition later... ohhoo no! After beating new game plus on normal I found out that I now have to play survivor regular all over again! What is this nonsense!

Jesus Christ, I died literally five or six times on Normal in the first
Clicker
encounter (like 2-3 hours in, spoiler tagging this since I don't know how sensitive people are). I don't usually die that many times in an entire game :/. Kept getting spotted by
the last two runners that in the same area as the Clicker, I just couldn't get seem to either lure them away safely with bricks/bottles or otherwise stealth kill them out without the Clicker being alerted. And the time I did do it I had to fight it out because one of the Runners somehow saw me and the Clicker got kinda stuck and I got two headshots on him.

Oh okay, I'm just a baby apparently, carry on :p

As soon as you jump down to the bottom level turn around 180 and go into the room to your left. hide behind a desk and wait for the runner to walk by. sneak up and strangle him. now leave that room and go right down the hallway and at the end there will be a stationary runner to the left. sneak up and strangle him. with those two down it should make things a little more manageable. if you can try sneaking up on the other two runners all the better. as long as you are quiet the clicker wont move from his position.

Top Bottom