• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
El Diablo is one shot all the time unless they're armoured. Armoured enemies in the late game was a disappointly gamey addition.

Yeah, I agree. Whenever I mention Naughty Dog still needs to work on enemy and encounter design, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I get why they did it,
to really increase the tension and necessity for stealth in the late game
, but it came across as very artificial and illogical given how grounded and brutal everything else in the game is. There's an unpleasant conflicting of themes when fist fighting a guy is a long, horrible, and bloody battle of flesh on flesh, yet the dude with a helmet has to be shot in the head twice because video games.

EDIT: To be honest, I found the gunplay more than anything in the game to be a bit too typically "gamey" compared to the brutality of everything else. It's obviously not as flashy and mobile as Uncharted, but for me it did seem a little out of place to shoot a guy twice with the fringes of a shotgun blast and have him run around like it's no problem. I would have liked to see ammo maybe even harder to come by, and in turn more brutal and realistically responsive gunplay. Kneecap a dude, and he collapses. Enemies respond to wounds. And so on. Would probably make for a much harder game, but in my head it would be a sensible evolution of the formula, along with larger levels.

antitrop

68% done.

As far as I can tell, they really did design the game without listen mode in mind and I'm so, so glad for that.
I couldn't disagree more, it's my largest complaint in an otherwise perfect game. To me the game was so obviously designed around this poor band-aid solution to a complicated problem. The option to look around corners would have been a sufficient start, but Listen Mode is definitely the lowest common denominator solution.

There were absolutely plenty of times where I was trying to gain some situational awareness only to think to myself "I wish there was a gameplay mechanic to help out with this" and then I remember that there is, except it's just not one that deserves to be in the game at all. The sound design is so exceptional that it mostly makes up for it, but there should be a better way to get a visual idea of what's around you, as well.

ZeroRay

I couldn't disagree more, it's my largest complaint in an otherwise perfect game. To me the game was so obviously designed around this poor band-aid solution to a complicated problem. The option to look around corners would have been a sufficient start, but Listen Mode is definitely the lowest common denominator solution.

Not having too many problems when it comes to keeping track of enemies or hiding from them. Just don't get a full count of enemies in a given location a lot of times. The lack of using listen mode might also prevent me from really seeing enemies spawning out of sight, which I've suspected to be going on in some encounters. Really do wish they had a lean mechanic built in though.

Hell, I think they showed it off at either the E3 or PAX demo. Don't tell me they replaced that with listen mode.

I really like how they made gun combat kind of shitty. Most games that try to make combat feel real by making your aim a bit wonky fail completely but ND nailed it.

Maybe because guns are seen as a secondary attack melee and stealth?

I am sure people have complained it doesn't feel like every other shooter though but I really enjoy the way it controls.

Superflat

I really like how they made gun combat kind of shitty. Most games that try to make combat feel real by making your aim a bit wonky fail completely but ND nailed it.

Maybe because guns are seen as a secondary attack melee and stealth?

I am sure people have complained it doesn't feel like every other shooter though but I really enjoy the way it controls.

Heheh. I really loved that you couldn't control the gun sway.

...Then I upgraded it immediately. O_O

Sometimes I wish it didn't give me the option, lol

There were absolutely plenty of times where I was trying to gain some situational awareness only to think to myself "I wish there was a gameplay mechanic to help out with this" and then I remember that there is, except it's just not one that deserves to be in the game at all. The sound design is so exceptional that it mostly makes up for it, but there should be a better way to get a visual idea of what's around you, as well.

It's a third person game. You can see around corners.

Superflat

It's a third person game. You can see around corners.

Yea, didn't have too much trouble peeking around with the camera.
I would have liked a "lean" view function though, since it'd be a more slick way of doing it.

I also wish I could grab people around corners and swing them over, as well as reach over cover and grab the dude crouching right in front of me on the other side. The mechanics were in Uncharted, and I used those extensively. Felt weird not being able to do that in TLOU. I don't think it requires superhuman strength to pull off :(

I loved the way the opening played out but
it was really obvious tragedy telegraphing to me. Handled well but it was so fucking obvious she was going to die. She wasn't Ellie, and the fact you did play as her as everything went to shit made it really obvious that Naughty Dog was trying to get you attached to her.

At first I thought about it in a similar fashion.
It was not until the END of the game did the context made sense. You started off by carrying your daughter only for her to die. On the other hand, Ellie was the exact opposite from death you gave her life. And the moment it clicked (no pun intended) I felt a very soft realization that caused me to double-take eyes wide open along with goosebumps accompanied after.

To be honest, I don't think this game was trying to be like Bioshock. It's not the predictable twists and over-used plot devices to be taken at face value. If anything, it really shows what ND as a developer reveals it's MO throughout the game. Like Uncharted that is designed a pure action packed spectacle but to be embedded the gameplay in itself juxtaposed in it (the crashing building sequence/train fight, etc)

The same thought process is done through TLOU. The tropes, apocalyptic setting, scriptwriting, etc. is merely the backdrop so that you carry the character's weight through gameplay. The "tropes" only adds to the familiarity so that the player themselves can focus on their development. That's my take on it IMO.

kurbaan

Banned
At first I thought about it in a similar fashion.
It was not until the END of the game did the context made sense. You started off by carrying your daughter only for her to die. On the other hand, Ellie was the exact opposite from death you gave her life. And the moment it clicked (no pun intended) I felt a very soft realization that caused me to double-take eyes wide open along with goosebumps accompanied after.

To be honest, I don't think this game was trying to be like Bioshock. It's not the predictable twists and over-used plot devices to be taken at face value. If anything, it really shows what ND as a developer reveals it's MO throughout the game. Like Uncharted that is designed a pure action packed spectacle but to be embedded the gameplay in itself juxtaposed in it (the crashing building sequence/train fight, etc)

The same thought process is done through TLOU. The tropes, apocalyptic setting, scriptwriting, etc. is merely the backdrop so that you carry the character's weight through gameplay. The "tropes" only adds to the familiarity so that the player themselves can focus on their development. That's my take on it IMO.

I think a few of the zombie movie tropes they kinda just flipped on their head
the part where Sam gets infected comes to mind. In basically every zombie movie one of the people the main characters meet usually someone innocent or a kid gets infected and when the reveal happens of their zombie version its all dramatic and there is a long drawn out conflicting scene before they kill them (perfect example is Walking dead with Sophia). But in this game Henry just does it right away none of that dramatic bullshit and then shoots himself and cut to black. It made the scene so much more impactful just hearing Ellie scream "OMG"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It depends on the layout, but there are many times where you can't manipulate the camera to see around a corner. In the earlier videos there WAS a lean, not sure why it was removed.

Yeah, I agree. Whenever I mention Naughty Dog still needs to work on enemy and encounter design, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I get why they did it,
, but it came across as very artificial and illogical given how grounded and brutal everything else in the game is. There's an unpleasant conflicting of themes when fist fighting a guy is a long, horrible, and bloody battle of flesh on flesh, yet the dude with a helmet has to be shot in the head twice because video games.

EDIT: To be honest, I found the gunplay more than anything in the game to be a bit too typically "gamey" compared to the brutality of everything else. It's obviously not as flashy and mobile as Uncharted, but for me it did seem a little out of place to shoot a guy twice with the fringes of a shotgun blast and have him run around like it's no problem. I would have liked to see ammo maybe even harder to come by, and in turn more brutal and realistically responsive gunplay. Kneecap a dude, and he collapses. Enemies respond to wounds. And so on. Would probably make for a much harder game, but in my head it would be a sensible evolution of the formula, along with larger levels.

I agree completely with your remarks on gunplay.

I remember earlier details talked about stuff like Joel having messed up aiming if he got shot, things that would really impact gameplay and make the healing animation something more necessary. Instead Joel has too much health on hard, able to take far more shots and melee blows than I anticipated, while the enemies are a bit similar in every non-head region. The sound design is amazing, but when you shoot something like a hunting rifle right in the chest, you hear the kick, it feels powerful, and the enemy scurries right off. It's missing one vital portion to make it all come together.

That said, it doesn't bother me much as I do find the gunplay/combat in general genuinely great in this game, but I never felt it was much of a survival.

DatDude

Banned
It depends on the layout, but there are many times where you can't manipulate the camera to see around a corner. In the earlier videos there WAS a lean, nto sure why it was removed.

I remember earlier details talked about stuff like Joel having messed up aiming if he got shot, things that would really impact gameplay and make the healing animation something more necessary. Instead Joel has too much health on hard, able to take far more shots and melee blows than I anticipated, while the enemies are a bit similar in every non-head region. The sound design is amazing, but when you shoot something like a hunting rifle right in the chest, you hear the kick, it feels powerful, and the enemy scurries right off. It's missing one vital portion to make it all come together.

That said, it doesn't bother me much as I do find the gunplay/combat in general genuinely great in this game, but I never felt it was much of a survival.

Survival mode should suffice for you then.

The amount of resources to craft, and the amount of ammo to find is just insanely low.

Every encounter is really the essence of think twice before you make your next move.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
is there any way to go into the
school in bill town ( place with lots of school bus)
without alerting runners?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I personally wouldn't call the game one of survival horror at all. In story themes yes, but hardly in gameplay. So I strongly disagree with some earlier comments from people saying The Last of Us revives survival horror. Simply because I think when we're talking about video games, interactive work in general, and trying to stick in a genre, we really need to consider the qualities of the medium that separate it from everything else. These should define the genre.

And in long term gameplay The Last of Us doesn't resonate with 'survival horror' to me, not in the way older Resident Evil did, nor that modern games like Amnesia and the sublime ZombiU do (the latter I think did far more for "survival horror" than any game in recent memory). Horror for sure, but TLOU's long term gameplay is definitely one more of stealth. Like...stealth horror. I don't know.

Keen to go through it on survival mode and deal with the shitty resources.

I can understand the effect of being shot being typical AAA shooter with the infected because they're zombies that probably don't' know when to stop. With the humans however, it's somewhat disappointing to see them not react realistically and by that I mean both physically and emotionally. If I shoot someone and it isn't lethal I want it to be effective. I want them to fall over/run for safety and I want them to behave in manners that might indicate a personality like some guys might start crying asking for mercy, some remain aggressive, some might call for help or ask for a mercy killing because they've had enough and might have been somewhat suicidal. With the humans, I didn't get the feeling that they were desperate encounters between desperate people. It felt like I was playing Uncharted while permanently low on ammo and there were bricks everywhere

There's a lot of room for improvement in a sequel.

Septimius

Survival mode should suffice for you then.

The amount of resources to craft, and the amount of ammo to find is just insanely low.

Every encounter is really the essence of think twice before you make your next move.

I really just might have to do this. I'm on hard, and I haven't really been in a place where I wasn't full on resources AND had 3 health-kits. Most of the times when I heal, it's when I find more rag or alcohol, and might as well.

I do appreciate a variety of aspects about the combat. I don't go for the straight up gun-fight. I run around and melee people, and several times, I find just how much I've been ruined by other games. Some guy is shooting me with a revolver? Bah, I can take a hit while I sprint at him to melee him. But then I'm stunned when I'm hit, and I just keep trying to run at him, like some retard. This game at least stops you in your tracks when you're hit with a gun. I like that. I've died because of that, but I like that.

And I appreciate that you can pretty much control any encounter if you're smart about it. And just how incredibly hard it is if you're not smart about it. I scarcely use bombs and molotovs, but when I do, it causes such disarray and havoc that the rest of the group is down in the matter of minutes.

However, I wish the paths weren't so scripted, really. It's kind of strange to see some scripted events, like, at around 60%
when in the suburbs, with the snipers
squads spawn to move in on you when you reach certain places and triggers. I don't get why they didn't do it more dynamic than that.

All in all, I love the "you'll die in a straight up fire-fight with 4 others, but you'll live if you're smart about it".

Ashes

Banned
it was really obvious tragedy telegraphing to me. Handled well but it was so fucking obvious she was going to die. She wasn't Ellie, and the fact you did play as her as everything went to shit made it really obvious that Naughty Dog was trying to get you attached to her.

I don't really care, and was probably over thinking it, but I do have a tendency to do that. Soon as the intro started and they were doing the whole AWESOME DAUGHTER WHO LOVES HER OVERWORKED DAD PLUS ITS HIS BIRTHDAY I knew she'd bite it.

Really, as a whole, The Last of Us did use a lot of zombie apocalypse tropes. Infected person staying behind to let others get away. Infected sibling/lover/friend forced to be killed by their companion. Cannibals. Someone with an immunity. I don't mind, but yeah.

I guess I was too caught up in the moment, because I didn't see it coming.

I really just might have to do this. I'm on hard, and I haven't really been in a place where I wasn't full on resources AND had 3 health-kits. Most of the times when I heal, it's when I find more rag or alcohol, and might as well.

I do appreciate a variety of aspects about the combat. I don't go for the straight up gun-fight. I run around and melee people, and several times, I find just how much I've been ruined by other games. Some guy is shooting me with a revolver? Bah, I can take a hit while I sprint at him to melee him. But then I'm stunned when I'm hit, and I just keep trying to run at him, like some retard. This game at least stops you in your tracks when you're hit with a gun. I like that. I've died because of that, but I like that.

And I appreciate that you can pretty much control any encounter if you're smart about it. And just how incredibly hard it is if you're not smart about it. I scarcely use bombs and molotovs, but when I do, it causes such disarray and havoc that the rest of the group is down in the matter of minutes.

However, I wish the paths weren't so scripted, really. It's kind of strange to see some scripted events, like, at around 60%
when in the suburbs, with the snipers
squads spawn to move in on you when you reach certain places and triggers. I don't get why they didn't do it more dynamic than that.

All in all, I love the "you'll die in a straight up fire-fight with 4 others, but you'll live if you're smart about it".

The best thing the game does in gunfights is that you can´t safely shoot from cover. You can´t aim from cover and you have to stand up to do so, and most times you will receive an impact on doing so. This offers a lot of tension and thinking twice to the gunfights and is something that Uncharted and other TPS games lacked.

Shimesaba

Just started it. Wow does this feel like a Silent Hill game to anyone? Even the menu sounds remind me of SH. That's kind of a random/weird pleasant surprise.

Wanted to chime in on this, I love the SH vibe in the menu sounds. There's also a metallic sort of tone that comes up sometimes at quiet moments that sounds straight out of an SH game.

elcapitan

I replayed the game on Survival with no upgrades, and the final confrontation was super tense. I'd have to take a shot from one angle and move on to another. Since I upgraded nothing, I couldn't one shot guys. I had to employ a mix of stealth and tactical positioning to get past it. It kind of makes me wish the whole game on Survival was like that. If anything, most of the enemies before that point are too easy to take down.

It'd be pretty interesting if enemies had "down" states though, which would require fellow AI enemies to "revive" them. It could be a cool bait mechanic. Honestly, there's a lot of things ND could add, but this was their first attempt at this kind of game, and the things they do with the AI are pretty cool. It's why I wish they'd expand on the universe. There's a solid base, but it could use some further refinement.

On a sidenote, I wish there was way to hold up enemies like in MGS.

Agreed. It's an improvement on Uncharted in terms of sound design and hit reactions (most of the time), but it's still not where it should be. Face shots should be one hit kills 100% of the time, none of this "knock the helmet off" stuff. Any other shot to the armored part of the helmet should, at the very least, knock the enemy down and completely disorientate him/her. Ditto for hitting body armor. I don't understand why these games always go to the "body armor = sponge up shots" design. And more realistic location based damage/reactions would be amazing in not only this, but any shooter. Kneecapping enemies, shooting feet, shooting the shoulder of melee enemies causing them to rethink their strategy, hitting the shooting arm of gun toting enemies, etc.

Relating to this discussion: It's amusing to me how people on GAF often complain and complain that shooters don't do enough outside of "just being shooting galleries" as if those shooting galleries have been perfected and it's time to move on. Meanwhile I'm sitting back wondering when we're going to see a push in shooter tech & design at all aside from Euphoria physics and Killzone 2's half canned half physics based reactions. So many people are worried about the fluff around the mechanics, but I'd be happy just to see more games get the shooting part right.

lifa-cobex

Indeed.

Before this game was released I was under the impression the gunplay was going to be towards the realistic side than standard games. When engaged with enemies, your heart would start pumping and it would more difficult to steady a gun. As ammo was sparse I thought every shot counted. If you shot a guy and hit him in the leg, He would fall, scream but possibly start shooting back after a moment if you didn't finish him in some way.
Infact I'm playing survivor mode atm hoping that it would go for more of this (obviously not what I described) but not three shot kill standard.

Vodh

I guess I was too caught up in the moment, because I didn't see it coming.

Spoilers from the first hour of the game only.
Yeah, I somehow caught the spoiler about the game proper taking place 20 years earlier, so I just thought they're using someone completely clueless to give us a character that would ease us into the setting. I mean, I thought she was going to die, but maybe in 10 years or something, I kind of expected them to fast forward a couple of times to show us different stages of the world's decay.

In the end, it's not that she died that makes it impactful, it's how and when she died.

I don't really care, and was probably over thinking it, but I do have a tendency to do that. Soon as the intro started and they were doing the whole AWESOME DAUGHTER WHO LOVES HER OVERWORKED DAD PLUS ITS HIS BIRTHDAY I knew she'd bite it.

Really, as a whole, The Last of Us did use a lot of zombie apocalypse tropes. Infected person staying behind to let others get away. Infected sibling/lover/friend forced to be killed by their companion. Cannibals. Someone with an immunity. I don't mind, but yeah.

I was on media black out,
so I had no idea who Tess was, but I had seen her briefly and knew there was an adult with Joel well into the apocalypse. I actually thought that was his daughter. Media blackout did pay out in this situation.

I understand where you are coming from with the cliches, but I feel they were used very well and overall we should expect those things to happen in a post apocalyptic world. I didn't feel anything was forced like I felt, for example

TWD TV show spoilers

Merle getting infected being a forced event to get rid of his character

I agree with the enemy encounters, it would be much better to have less enemies, Joel having less ammo, and the enemies being way smarter then just having hordes of bullet sponge enemies. That is probably the most disappointing thing in the game for me.

I would have liked very much if TLOU had a damage system for both enemies and the player like it was rumored to have. Maybe the PS3 couldn't handle it, or maybe it was a design decision, I hope it's the former as that could be fixed on the PS4.

Wow, I'm in a bit of a hard spot right near what I presume is the end.

In the hospital trying to get to the surgery, loads if enemies and I'm under equipped

As if my death count wasn't high enough!

Wow, I'm in a bit of a hard spot right near what I presume is the end.

In the hospital trying to get to the surgery, loads if enemies and I'm under equipped

As if my death count wasn't high enough!

You can
sneak through the hospital
in about 5 minutes tops. It's the easiest part of the game if you know the route. You don't even have to strangle one single enemy.

I didn't use a single smoke bomb in the entire game. I'm always so tense and fearful of trying 'new' things when they are introduced in games like this. If I'm comfortable with a combat strategy I tend to stick to it.

Anyone else feel like this?

Ok, I have to vent.

Why in god's name would you end the game like that? Why would you make me think I was going to be playing a little more by letting me play as Ellie again, only to abruptly end the game?
If it was going to be like that, the game should have ended as soon as you left the Hospital, with the rest playing out in a cutscene. Don't tease me that I'm going to be playing more than end the damn game.

Other than that, this game is incredible. Some of the best voice acting I have ever heard in a game.

Ghazi

take a shot from one angle and move on to
On a sidenote, I wish there was way to hold up enemies like in MGS.

I'm sure you already knew this and I haven't played MGS in a while but grabbing them and strangling them or using them as cover while you shoot at other enemies (not so much in this example) is similar to MGS grabbing right? All I remember is being able to grab people and strangle them in MGS in terms of grabbing and TLOU does this too.

I didn't use a single smoke bomb in the entire game. I'm always so tense and fearful of trying 'new' things when they are introduced in games like this. If I'm comfortable with a combat strategy I tend to stick to it.

Yes, but I used it
when that sniper was coming after me as I was trying to get an angle on him. Worked pretty great.

Ok, I have to vent.

Why in god's name would you end the game like that? Why would you make me think I was going to be playing a little more by letting me play as Ellie again, only to abruptly end the game?
If it was going to be like that, the game should have ended as soon as you left the Hospital, with the rest playing out in a cutscene. Don't tease me that I'm going to be playing more than end the damn game.

Other than that, this game is incredible. Some of the best voice acting I have ever heard in a game.

Spoilers for the end of the game

Think back to how the game began and now look at how it ended. I really doubt that similarity is unintentional.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I do sometimes feel like that, but in this game, I actually made full use of the tools available. Usually, in stealth games, I view failure as a reason to restart each encounter, but here, I viewed it more as a mistake that I would try to come back from. So, sometimes, I would pull out those alternate tools and make use of them to keep surviving.

I'm right there with you. I think the only time I ended up using a nail bomb was when
you're in the tunnel with the huge group of bloaters and clickers right before you get to the hospital

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Not to spoil anything, let's just say my head was down, and I now get the "it's the RE4 of this generation" reference :)

Amazing.

Number45

I have been (and still am) terrified of spoilers for this game, but curiosity is getting the better of me so I'm going to ask in here and then dip out until I'm done:

Is it right that I've earned no trophies yet in the game? I'm not far in at all (
currently hanging by my feet fending off infected
), but would usually have expected something to pop.

I have been (and still am) terrified of spoilers for this game, but curiosity is getting the better of me so I'm going to ask in here and then dip out until I'm done:

Is it right that I've earned no trophies yet in the game? I'm not far in at all (
currently hanging by my feet fending off infected
), but would usually have expected something to pop.

Yep, the trophies in the game are very specific.

Top Bottom