• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

RDreamer

After spending some time watching a The Last of Us walkthrough I can say that the game story seems awesome and visually it's quite the attractive game.

As for the gameplay itself? It just looks like most other 3rd-Person shooter/action games. So far there isn't really unique gameplay elements.

All that said, I would still have loved to play this game if I was able to.

I think on the surface, sure, the gameplay elements aren't in and of themselves unique, but I certainly felt the game played unlike almost anything I had played before. There are a lot of little touches that elevate things. I mean just the fact that to heal or to grab a different gun Joel literally has to open his backpack and take it out, something you'd think is more animation and realism than gameplay, adds so much. The choices you make on what to craft, too are superb. It's a really simple system, but it makes you search through the environment, and makes you feel accomplished when you find stuff. It's something that Bioshock: infinite didn't really do well with all the searching I did there. The way the infected segments differ from the human segments, too and the pacing around that really gets you into a different mindset. I also loved the choices in upgrading. You felt like you really had to spend those points correctly. There's also the environmental design, too, that fed into the gameplay. You were given quite large areas sometimes to play around in, and that really changes up how the stealth works and how the gameplay works.

Anyway, I think you do a disservice to the game by just watching it and thinking there's nothing unique here. It plays very uniquely, I feel. It doesn't play like an Uncharted or even a Resident Evil 4. It doesn't play like RE5, either. It doesn't play like most of the stealth genre games, either. It definitely doesn't feel like a Metal Gear.

It would needs to be really really different for me.
even though I think ND is the best company out there I just can't see them doing something as good or better than this.
Its not really about the quality or whatever because I think I still enjoyed Uncharted 2 just a tad more but could see where 3 or a 4 could be even better.
With Last of Us I can't see them topping either character, the story, the setting and the only gameplay improvement I can unrealisticly see would be a more open world city.

They don't really have to top the stuff, just give me something different. Give me a different but still really compelling story arc and characters. Give me people struggling for something else. Realistically TLOU was kind of a cliched zombie story (but executed excellently), so I think there's plenty of room to grow. There's also plenty of room for setting. You can use a lot of interesting landmarks around the US (or even do Europe somewhere). I'd love to see something like DC done up like this (I know Fallout kind of did that, but this is different!). Actually going into something like a zoo or theme park or really anything would and could be cool. There are TONS of settings they could pull from and get some really unique stuff.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wow, I've just played through the most incredibly animated sequence I've ever seen in any game (speaking of your character animation)

ND animation is master class. There is so much variety, and so much contextual stuff (that many players will never even see!) it's mind boggling.

There are whole animation systems that were built for a couple mins of gameplay in just one section of the game that completely own most game's primary animation (walk/run cycles etc.) it's got to be incredibly humbling for them to see what ND is doing.

I've counted at least half a dozen animation states (where the core mechanics/animations are tweaked depending on context) it's crazy. I cannot think of any other game, even on PC, that has this much variety. All I can think is how Bioware had to subtract animation (Shep holstering the weapon) because they couldn't fit it into memory, and here ND is just putting on a clinic.

People complain about various IQ issues, and yeah, those things are present... but clearly ND has a lot of things going on under the hood that other devs don't even attempt. The fact the game looks as good as it does is actually really impressive when you think about how much of the performance budget they spent on subtle gameplay things (sound, animation, etc). And their game still looks better than the others that don't even attempt those things.

jett

D-Member
How many of you have bothered to use the triangle button to evade or counter during melee fights? The other time I actually "locked pipes" with some guy as if there were swords, lulz.

Dragon

Banned
After spending some time watching a The Last of Us walkthrough I can say that the game story seems awesome and visually it's quite the attractive game.

As for the gameplay itself? It just looks like most other 3rd-Person shooter/action games. So far there isn't really unique gameplay elements.

All that said, I would still have loved to play this game if I was able to.

There's not a ton of unique gameplay elements as much as how well they fit together. Although having to manage switching weapons during fights before you craft new holsters is pretty nerve-wracking.

Clone Outcast

Neo Member
Anyway, I think you do a disservice to the game by just watching it and thinking there's nothing unique here. It plays very uniquely, I feel. It doesn't play like an Uncharted or even a Resident Evil 4. It doesn't play like RE5, either. It doesn't play like most of the stealth genre games, either. It definitely doesn't feel like a Metal Gear.
I understand that watching isn't playing and that I can't accurately judge. But from what I can see there doesn't seem to be that unique flair. I do see the nice little unique elements like the backpack and stuff that you mentioned but by looks it does seem to play like RE or Uncharted.

I'm not saying that to devalue the game though. It looks like what it has done was done extremely well.

darkwing

How many of you have bothered to use the triangle button to evade or counter during melee fights? The other time I actually "locked pipes" with some guy as if there were swords, lulz.

you are supposed to use triangle? I was using square , no wonder nothing happens :(

Evolved1

It would needs to be really really different for me.
even though I think ND is the best company out there I just can't see them doing something as good or better than this.
Its not really about the quality or whatever because I think I still enjoyed Uncharted 2 just a tad more but could see where 3 or a 4 could be even better.
With Last of Us I can't see them topping either character, the story, the setting and the only gameplay improvement I can unrealisticly see would be a more open world city.

Neil wrote a script that, at least overall, was cliche as hell... and despite this, they executed it exceptionally well. The dialog and performances were far better than they had any business being. He wrote some seriously nuanced, compelling dialog.

Now... imagine next time the overall narrative isn't as cliche. There is room to improve. I'd love to see he and the team make attempt at it. (If they want to, that is)

They don't really have to top the stuff, just give me something different. Give me a different but still really compelling story arc and characters. Give me people struggling for something else. Realistically TLOU was kind of a cliched zombie story (but executed excellently), so I think there's plenty of room to grow. There's also plenty of room for setting. You can use a lot of interesting landmarks around the US (or even do Europe somewhere). I'd love to see something like DC done up like this (I know Fallout kind of did that, but this is different!). Actually going into something like a zoo or theme park or really anything would and could be cool. There are TONS of settings they could pull from and get some really unique stuff.

lol we posted almost the exact same sentiment.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There are whole animation systems that were built for a couple mins of gameplay in just one section of the game that completely own most game's primary animation (walk/run cycles etc.) it's got to be incredibly humbling for them to see what ND is doing.
You are probably talking about the section that I just payed through,
after Joel gets impaled
. I couldn't believe what I was seeing/controlling.

Dragon

Banned
I understand that watching isn't playing and that I can't accurately judge. But from what I can see there doesn't seem to be that unique flair. I do see the nice little unique elements like the backpack and stuff that you mentioned but by looks it does seem to play like RE or Uncharted.

I'm not saying that to devalue the game though. It looks like what it has done was done extremely well.

The stealth aspects are much more pronounced than Uncharted.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The way Winter begins was just so amazing. **BIG SPOILER**
In hindsight some of the well publicized concept art ruined the surprise that Joel is alive, but for the few minutes before I realized it and started thinking that he must be alive, due to that Gamereactor front page artwork... I was 100% convinced he was dead.
**END OF BIG SPOILER** Man, this game literally has me in its clutches, I've been playing it for days, and thinking about it when not playing it. I was already starting to be sad that it's going to end when I was maybe halfway through.

Im playing this game like watching a show on Netflix. Maybe an episode or two a night with my wife watching. Ill hit a spot and say out loud this concludes tonights episode of The Last of Us. 74% done.

Evolved1

The game is very unique. No other game plays like this. Comparisons to other TPS are a bit superficial.

Take any element of the combat and I will explain to you in detail how it is very different from other TPS games.

I'll give you an example... the melee. There is nothing else like this. It is brutal, and seamless, and contextual. It may be hard to appreciate from a video, but the sprint button is incorporated into the melee in an extremely effective, intuitive way. You're holding a melee weapon, and you decide to sprint at a guy and swing the weapon... that is a thing. You see it happen on screen and connect in the most brutal and gruesome way. The sound effect makes the hair on your skin stand up. You see a guy near a wall, and decide to sprint at him at hit melee... again I have to emphasize... this is a thing, that happens. You slam him into the wall with very convincing force. There is an immediate feedback, it's not janky, it's seamless, and it's intuitive. You didn't have to learn, "Oh press this button to perform this action" this shit just kind of happens naturally. And that's just one aspect of the melee.

I haven't talked about the guns, or even the fluid nature of combat where fleeing is actually seamlessly incorporated into the gameplay, allowing you to "break away" (again, sprint button has some amazing contextual animation/gameplay tied to it) get a better position and then re-engage or go into predatory stealth again.

It's similarities to other TPS are mostly superficial imo. I think trying to equate it to those lacks the nuanced criticism the game deserves.

I think on the surface, sure, the gameplay elements aren't in and of themselves unique, but I certainly felt the game played unlike almost anything I had played before. There are a lot of little touches that elevate things. I mean just the fact that to heal or to grab a different gun Joel literally has to open his backpack and take it out, something you'd think is more animation and realism than gameplay, adds so much. The choices you make on what to craft, too are superb. It's a really simple system, but it makes you search through the environment, and makes you feel accomplished when you find stuff. It's something that Bioshock: infinite didn't really do well with all the searching I did there. The way the infected segments differ from the human segments, too and the pacing around that really gets you into a different mindset. I also loved the choices in upgrading. You felt like you really had to spend those points correctly. There's also the environmental design, too, that fed into the gameplay. You were given quite large areas sometimes to play around in, and that really changes up how the stealth works and how the gameplay works.

But thats what Naughty Dog has always done so that is why I have trouble seeing it.
But hey guess im in for a great surprise if they do.

RDreamer

I'm not sure who the hell is playing in the walkthrough you're watching, but the game plays nothing like Uncharted. I mean the animations and camera angles and some of the sentiments look Uncharted-esque, but it's waaaaaaaay different. Uncharted is way more fast paced and arcadey. This is about getting the drop on your enemies and flanking them. Maybe you pop out and shoot once in a while, but that's not really the core of the gameplay like Uncharted.

antitrop

It happened so rarely for me, but when it did I really appreciated how cool it looked.

GQman2121

Banned
I made it to winter last night. God damn is this a special game. 14 hours in and I have no idea where they'll take me next.

I'm just blown away over and over again by how they're able to continuously throw new twists in and switch up the combat scenarios to a point where I'm engaged and feeling like I'm doing something new. That's the biggest issue with the Uncharted series. The combat is very much rinse and repeat. Here I feel they're much more creative in how they keep you guessing about what's around the corner.

What a way to end a generation. 2013 could turn out to be pretty amazing for software.

Clone Outcast

Neo Member
The game is very unique. No other game plays like this. Comparisons to other TPS are a bit superficial.

Take any element of the combat and I will explain to you in detail how it is very different from other TPS games.

I'll give you an example... the melee. There is nothing else like this. It is brutal, and seamless, and contextual. It may be hard to appreciate from a video, but the sprint button is incorporated into the melee in an extremely effective, intuitive way. You're holding a melee weapon, and you decide to sprint at a guy and swing the weapon... that is a thing. You see it happen on screen and connect in the most brutal and gruesome way. The sound effect makes the hair on your skin stand up. You see a guy near a wall, and decide to sprint at him at hit melee... again I have to emphasize... this is a thing, that happens. You slam him into the wall with very convincing force. There is an immediate feedback, it's not janky, it's seamless, and it's intuitive. You didn't have to learn, "Oh press this button to perform this action" this shit just kind of happens naturally. And that's just one aspect of the melee.

I haven't talked about the guns, or even the fluid nature of combat where fleeing is actually seamlessly incorporated into the gameplay, allowing you to "break away" (again, sprint button has some amazing contextual animation/gameplay tied to it) get a better position and then re-engage or go into predatory stealth again.

It's similarities to other TPS are mostly superficial imo. I think trying to equate it to those lacks the nuanced criticism the game deserves.
Great points. I suppose I miss a lot not being able to feel fluidity within a game. And I agree, sound design in this game is great.

I see Uncharted only superficially. The animation style and some of the shooting mechanics borrow a bit from Uncharted, yes, but if you play it at all like you'd play an Uncharted game you'll die and/or run out of bullets very quickly.
the 'exploration' and navigation just felt alot like Uncharted.
the boosts and ladders etc, even the wooden palette thing felt like something out of Uncharted.
melee also felt similar.
the basement after the elevator crash, gave me extreme vibes of the Nazi base in Uncharted 1

I finally started my own playthrough last night after deciding from watching about 1/3 of it being played that I didn't want to be spoiled after all. Withholding judgement on the stealth and AI until I get out of the tutorial areas.

I hate to be this guy, but they're really not selling me on this fungal infection. We have a pandemic that collapses society, but it can be avoided with a standard gas mask and you don't even need to change your clothes after walking through a cloud of spores? And then, when confronted by an infected, you're fine as long as they don't bite you? I know, I know, I'll shut up now.

From a worldbuilding and storytelling perspective, I really have to say this draws me in a lot more than Bioshock Infinite did. I'm not enjoying the gameplay nearly as much as BI so far, but I didn't really want to stop playing last night even knowing what was coming next, so that says something.

I love the little touches in every building. The urban explorer in me really appreciates so much of this as a safe little ghost town theme park.

I managed to kill all four Runners and the Clicker in the office building (from the demo) in pure stealth without ever being caught. Didnt even think that was possible.

Hey, I did that on my first try! *jackass grin*

Evolved1

You are probably talking about the section that I just payed through,
after Joel gets impaled
. I couldn't believe what I was seeing/controlling.

Yeah... first time through I thought,
"Okay this is one of those hold-forward-to-walk segments that look cool at the expense of player control" but then after a few moments I realized I was actually in control. And could move (within reason) wherever I wished.
Mind bending. And some of the effects like
blood smearing and camera work just added to the sequence. It was the idea behind Drake's wall touching raised an order of magnitude and practically perfected.

And it lasts
two mins.

It's frigging absurd.

Stillmatic

100% | 21h 21m | Hard | Listen mode Off | 103 collectables <-- thought I was pretty thorough, apparently not...

Nearly 2am and I just finished it, yay for work in the morning. I need time to process this game, it really was a pleasure to play, I enjoyed it all.

Naughty Dog redeemed? :p

Evolved1

Here's the article from the VFX artist who did a lot of work on the opening sequence. Article only explains effects done in the opening, so spoilers for those who haven't started playing yet, of course.

http://dougvfx.blogspot.ca/2013/06/visual-effects-in-last-of-us-hometown.html?m=1

There's some very nice direct buffer images from the opening as well.

His answer about system memory in the comments section is kind of blowing my mind... christ, give these folks new hardware already.

Should have happened 2-3 years ago.

Man, poor Sam and his brother. Such a sad moment, especially the foreshadowing with Sam talking about heaven.

Although the stealth can feel broken at times, I do like the weightness/cover to cover/animations. I actually like going cover to cover and quietly taking down enemies. It's fun.

Also, it SUCKS when you're low on health and have no more ammunition while you have to kill the infected.

And ND should create an open world game set in
Montana where Ellie rode off to the ranch
? It was so damn gorgeous.

dubq

Just finished this last night. I though it was pretty good. Linear but in a good way, IMO. Sometimes I really despise open-world games due to the fact that I'm OCD about exploring every inch of the map. Having this be a little more linear helped keep the pace. I think a sequel could be warranted, as long as the story is as good.

The portions where you play
as Ellie were especially awesome. She's a bad-ass with a switchblade and a bow/arrow.
;)

---

One thing I really dislike about Naughty Dog games, though, is their whole "unlock this skin after you beat the game on XYZ difficulty." While I loved the game, I don't necessarily think that this is one of those games that I'm going to play through again and again just to get a military backpack. It would be nice if you could unlock these things for your current playthrough as you go..

Does anyone know what the season pass DLC plans are? Is it all multi-player stuff or more add-ons for single-player?

bjaelke

Linear but in a good way, IMO. Sometimes I really despise open-world games due to the fact that I'm OCD about exploring every inch of the map. Having this be a little more linear helped keep the pace. I think a sequel could be warranted, as long as the story is as good.

Open world
university
. I want to explore it all. My favorite part of the game. I kept unmounting the horse to turn every stone. It just felt so damn rewarding due to the scarce resources.

Silky

Banned
The deed has been done. The Last of Us has been beaten.

Sure, I might have extended my Redbox rental a /bit/ too long, but this was fucking worth it. That ending, man. Goddamn satisfying.

aristotle

Just finished this last night. I though it was pretty good. Linear but in a good way, IMO. Sometimes I really despise open-world games due to the fact that I'm OCD about exploring every inch of the map. Having this be a little more linear helped keep the pace. I think a sequel could be warranted, as long as the story is as good.

The portions where you play
as Ellie were especially awesome. She's a bad-ass with a switchblade and a bow/arrow.
;)

---

One thing I really dislike about Naughty Dog games, though, is their whole "unlock this skin after you beat the game on XYZ difficulty." While I loved the game, I don't necessarily think that this is one of those games that I'm going to play through again and again just to get a military backpack. It would be nice if you could unlock these things for your current playthrough as you go..

Does anyone know what the season pass DLC plans are? Is it all multi-player stuff or more add-ons for single-player?

1 SP DLC and 2 MP DLC.

Evolved1

There will be one sp dlc and multiple mp dlc's. Personally, I hope the sp dlc will be about
Ish

It might be interesting if it's
Ish... because he is supposedly very scrawny, and not much of a fighter.

The more I think about though, the more it seems it won't be. They can reuse pretty much all of the environments for his story (which is one reason I thought it likely) but then you consider the amount of dialog/voice actors it'd require to really sell the sewer environment, it starts to feel outside the realm of possibility. Like too much work for DLC. And then Ish himself would need his own gameplay, kind of like how Ellie couldn't do all the things Joel could. Ish would require a similar rework if we are to take literally his description of himself as not a particularly good fighter.

I think it far more likely that we play as Bill. If I was forced to guess, it would be Bill. And Tess a close second.

I fully expect them to significantly reuse areas from the game proper. Even puzzles.

I expect maybe one or two unique setpieces, which might even take place in environments we've already seen.

If they do Ish, (even though I don't think it most likely, but if they do...) I think we might get a bit of the boat out on the water... ND built impressive wave tech for UC3 so maybe they could recycle that for an interesting introduction to Ish.

I guess we'll see.

burgerdog

Oh, I didn't know you could clash with melee weapons. Will have to try that next time. Melee counters are super easy to pull off since you get a huge window to press triangle, so everyone should be countering with ease.

Dakota47

It might be interesting if it's
Ish... because he is supposedly very scrawny, and not much of a fighter.

The more I think about though, the more it seems it won't be. They can reuse pretty much all of the environments for his story (which is one reason I thought it likely) but then you consider the amount of dialog/voice actors it'd require to really sell the sewer environment, it starts to feel outside the realm of possibility. Like too much work for DLC. And then Ish himself would need his own gameplay, kind of like how Ellie couldn't do all the things Joel could. Ish would require a similar rework if we are to take literally his description of himself as not a particularly good fighter.

I think it far more likely that we play as Bill. If I was forced to guess, it would be Bill. And Tess a close second.

I fully expect them to significantly reuse areas from the game proper. Even puzzles.

I expect maybe one or two unique setpieces, which might even take place in environments we've already seen.

If they do Ish, (even though I don't think it most likely, but if they do...) I think we might get a bit of the boat out on the water... ND built impressive wave tech for UC3 so maybe they could recycle that for an interesting introduction to Ish.

I guess we'll see.

Makes sense. If the dlc is indeed about
Bill, I wonder if we find out more about why he relationship has gone sour. It would be interesting to see how ND would tell that story and how gamers would react to that.

Yeah... first time through I thought,
"Okay this is one of those hold-forward-to-walk segments that look cool at the expense of player control" but then after a few moments I realized I was actually in control. And could move (within reason) wherever I wished.
Mind bending. And some of the effects like
blood smearing and camera work just added to the sequence. It was the idea behind Drake's wall touching raised an order of magnitude and practically perfected.

And it lasts
two mins.

It's frigging absurd.
Have you played Max Payne 3? There's a similar scene, but it's totally scripted, "hold forward". I was not expecting how perfectly animated that similar scene was in TLOU

olimpia84

I was in the middle of playing Red Dead when I started Last of Us. Now that I beat the game I'm having a tough time adjusting back to the Red Dead controls lol

Zephyrus

Banned
I actually expect the SP dlc to be about
Tommy

it just makes sense.

Either way, I'm buying all the dlc for this game. When you get a work of this caliber, I like to support the devs

traveler

Not Wario
DLC-

Twist- it's a hybrid single player/multiplayer dlc where you play as Tommy managing your group of survivors state of decay style while competing with other settlements for resources.

Evolved1

Have you played
Max Payne 3? There's a similar scene, but it's totally scripted, "hold forward"
. I was not expecting how perfectly animated that similar scene was in TLOU

Yes, I played and loved
MP3.

But I actually do not remember that section. Says a lot about it...

Oh, I didn't know you could clash with melee weapons. Will have to try that next time. Melee counters are super easy to pull off since you get a huge window to press triangle, so everyone should be countering with ease.

when does that even happen?

I do recall rarely I can sometimes see triangle prompt and joel shoves the guy. Kinda wish the prompt appeared more often, or more consistent.

btw: is it the running melee weapon hit that knocks people down so that you can human shield them?

Evolved1

btw: is it the running melee weapon hit that knocks people down so that you can human shield them?

If they survive it, that's a benefit. Or you can immediately pull out a gun and it will auto-aim to their face.

If you preempt the running melee with a brick/bottle and unload on them while they're stunned, it's always a OHK. And only uses one "hit" of your melee weapon. Critical for prolonging its use in later difficulties.

Top Bottom