• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bare bones mechanically? Gameplay wise? Amount of content? There's somehow an incredible lack of clarity for the amount you've managed to write around your disdain about it.

I've posted about it at length already.

aristotle

I'm finishing my first hard game, if I want to jump to survivor+ with this glitch would it be possible?

Yes it works. I just did it myself last night. I went from Normal to Survivor +. Luckily for me, I have the season pass and it seems all of my upgrades carried over, but I haven't checked everything yet. Either way, it's really simple to do so it's not like there's a drawback to it at all.

RDreamer

Is it just me or does every multiplayer game I join seem to ALWAYS turn in favor for the other team?

Every game it's a straight domination, I just don't get it. Have yet to be on a winning team.

I'm always feeling flatout outclassed and outgunned by every enemy I face in this bitch.

Shit's infuriating.

Same with me, really. Problem is groups. 4 guys who've all played together for a while and are good at the game all group up and you get on a team with a bunch of randoms.

This is what's happened with me in probably 7 of the last 8 or 9 games I've played. We've just been annihilated.

mauaus

Yes it works. I just did it myself last night. I went from Normal to Survivor +. Luckily for me, I have the season pass and it seems all of my upgrades carried over, but I haven't checked everything yet. Either way, it's really simple to do so it's not like there's a drawback to it at all.
Mind explaining how you made this jump?

Evolved1

Mind explaining how you made this jump?

Play through the prologue on the NG+ available to you... and once you hit the
20 year jump in time
, quit out and use chapter select to get into survivor plus. Of course you must play the beginning again on sur+ to get credit for it.

Wait so all my upgrades carry over for this glitch too? Dang.

Tip: if you want to fully upgrade all weapons for that trophy, upgrade the later level weapons first so you don't have to play as far the next time through. But might as well just play through the game again anyways :)

I just finished my 2nd playthrough new game plus normal. Did hard first. It's kinda wild how easy normal is compared to hard. So much ammo!

I also found all the comic books this time and got to see the parallel of joel&ellie's adventure in its entirety. I love this game.

I'm watching Craig Ferguson right now and holy shiz, Marc Maron looks like a carbon copy of Joel lol. It doesn't help that he's wearing plaid shirts haha.

Anyway, just got to fall. That ending scene in the summer I kinda figured but I didn't expect it to end it that way. The game so far has been amazing, gameplay especially, but the story never really grabbed me until that point in the summer. TBH, it kinda feels like I'm echoing Joel and I just got forced to go through this "adventure" whether I like it or not. I certainly loved the gameplay before, but I felt like the story wasn't anything special. But here comes fall and it's looking like it's going to get a lot more interesting.

Ok, this encounter where
you first give Ellie the rifle to give you cover
is total bullshit. I stealth around and silently kill everyone except for one guy, I sneak up on him but instead of getting the stealth grab I get the open combat grab and I literally see a dude with a gun spawn in at the edge of the area in front of me. Suddenly, I'm surrounded by dudes who all know I'm here, when the entire area was empty and I was never seen just moments before. The game is actively breaking its own gameplay rules in order to force open combat on me. This is the worst kind of encounter design and it makes want to stop playing the game.

I remembered that. Totally forgot about the switching aiming shoulder though (R2 I think)

I think it's R3, which is weird because I keep thinking the shoulder switch would be L3.

I never needed the 180 spin till /really/ late game. At that point, I'd forgotten and just toughed it out. Then I slapped myself when I started a replay-through.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just about at 50% after 10 hours. Taking my sweet time on hard and loving it.

The performances and writing are really above the standard we're usually treated to with games, and the way ND have created some truly entertaining/meaningful moments between Joel and Ellie while you wander and explore is great.

However (and this is really nitpicky), did anyone else feel they were trying a bit too hard with bits like the poster girl outside the flooded hotel?

It's as if they're trying to say something (maybe related to some hot topics in gaming/media recently) to make TLoU appear even more mature than it's already established itself as. Sometimes it works really well, like the scene in the car where Ellie has the magazine. That was genuinely funny, and I applaud ND for making a somewhat "bold" joke like that.

It was the instance with the poster that made me feel as though it wasn't a one-off thing, and that they have an agenda to push. It felt really jarring and took away from the otherwise very immersive experience I've had so far. I hope I don't run into any more of this heavy-handedness, as I do really enjoy scavenging the environments with Ellie by Joel's side.

Speaking of jokes, though: Why was the scarecrow given a promotion?
He was outstanding in his field...

So glad I did the survivor plus glitch. Because stealth is always the best approach, playing through it a third time legit would have basically been the exact same experience. Having upgraded skills or weapons had a lot less impact than I would have thought. Knowing the levels and what's coming up is what really matters.

Also, what were they thinking with those horrible crafting/healing skills. So incredibly useless. Its a shame the entire game was designed around just shooting and occasional sneaking otherwise they might have implemented something more meaningful than the literal second saving skills.

Anyway, I look forward to the next game I go in blind with. Such a refreshing experience knowing so little for such a major game.

Show of hands, who else play the entire game and forgot there was a 180° spin around move?
*raises hand*

Ok, this encounter where
is total bullshit. I stealth around and silently kill everyone except for one guy, I sneak up on him but instead of getting the stealth grab I get the open combat grab and I literally see a dude with a gun spawn in at the edge of the area in front of me. Suddenly, I'm surrounded by dudes who all know I'm here, when the entire area was empty and I was never seen just moments before. The game is actively breaking its own gameplay rules in order to force open combat on me. This is the worst kind of encounter design and it makes want to stop playing the game.
Had that happen to me too and was quite upset about it. Poor design.

Ok, this encounter where

I did that section by going up on the balcony to the upper right as you enter (through the cafe), hiding in an office and they basically came to me one at a time, and I was able to stealth kill most of them.

raindoc

Same with me, really. Problem is groups. 4 guys who've all played together for a while and are good at the game all group up and you get on a team with a bunch of randoms.

this.

also the advantage a higher rank brings in this game is hilarious (stealth crouching, spawning on teammembers, instant crafting & reviving...).

raindoc

Ok, this encounter where
I did that section by going up on the balcony to the upper right as you enter (through the cafe), hiding in an office and they basically came to me one at a time, and I was able to stealth kill most of them.

did the same thing as Triggerhappy and i think the key words are "most of them".
that section is about Ellie actively helping Joel in combat for the first time with a gun. it needs to force open combat on you, otherwise Ellie wouldn't have anything to shoot at.

Replicant

Ok, this encounter where

There's actually a 2nd wave the minute you off the last guy on the 1st wave. That's why I'd recommend that you take out the guy on the bottom (that was my last 1st wave guy) with a long-ranged weapon, preferably an arrow). If you do so, by the time the 2nd wave arrive, they wouldn't know your position and they'll have to search for you. I hid inside the office on the 2nd floor and take them out one by one by jumping in and out of the window and circling the tables.

raindoc

So I'm watching this walkthrough on youtube and wtf? (~95% I guess):
Are there supposed to be enemies inside the tunnel that leads to the hospital?? I didn't encounter a single clicker in that area, let alone a bloater. The thing is, I was hearing like a scary heavy breathing all the time while making my way through the tunnel, and I was fearing that an infected would jump on me at any time, but... nothing. Must have been a weird bug, I don't know.

Also I didn't know Bloaters can even climb up on top of things, holy shit.

has to be. happened to me once during winter, playing as Ellie. however, when i came to the end of that specific part of the map, i was glaring into nothing - the next part hadn't loaded either, just like the enemies before. (in the same playthrough i also once fell through the floor into nothing,
in the cabin, after you meet David
.)

did the same thing as Triggerhappy and i think the key words are "most of them".
that section is about Ellie actively helping Joel in combat for the first time with a gun. it needs to force open combat on you, otherwise Ellie wouldn't have anything to shoot at.

Well she never shot anyone because I ran into a storeroom and blew each person away as they came to the doorway. The point is, The Last of Us is not some arcade shooter; you shouldn't just go "WAVE 2!" and spawn in more dudes. Make them arrive in a believable way, have them find one of the many corpses scattered around, and then they can go crazy searching all over for me.

raindoc

Well she never shot anyone because I ran into a storeroom and blew each person away as they came to the doorway. The point is, The Last of Us is not some arcade shooter; you shouldn't just go "WAVE 2!" and spawn in more dudes. Make them arrive in a believable way, have them find one of the many corpses scattered around, and then they can go crazy searching all over for me.

like i said, this scene needs open combat. if you're skilled enough to drop everyone in open combat before Ellie can fire just one shot, good for you. but allowing this part of the game to be completed stealth-only wouldn't run with the storyline/char development, hence an aggressive second wave, no matter what. the game usually doesn't do this, but this one time it's needed.

Dynedom

Despite owning this game for some time, I only finally beat it today. Stupid work screwing over whatever time I have.

My Game of the Generation and now in one of my top of all time. Such a powerful story (dem feels) and I honestly loved the gameplay. It grew on me and the satisfaction of having to figure out how to best deal with each encounter is incredible. The satisfaction I got from this game is unmatched by any I have played this gen.

Superflat

I kicked a runner off a bus and while it was airborne, Ellie's brick whizzed by and smashed into its face on its way down.

I love this goddamn game.

like i said, this scene needs open combat. if you're skilled enough to drop everyone in open combat before Ellie can fire just one shot, good for you. but allowing this part of the game to be completed stealth-only wouldn't run with the storyline/char development, hence an aggressive second wave, no matter what. the game usually doesn't do this, but this one time it's needed.
Did you even read my post? Where I said, "Make them arrive in a believable way, have them find one of the many corpses scattered around, and then they can go crazy searching all over for me." I have no problem with more guys showing up and being aggressive. The problem is the shit implementation. The player has no possible way of knowing more enemies spawn in the moment the last guy dies. There's no logic to it, and there's no warning. Maybe have Ellie shoot someone with the rifle so the enemies know you're there. Maybe just have her shout that she sees more guys coming in. There are any number of methods of constructing the scene so it's not just last guy's death instantly triggers more guys.

mokeyjoe

I'm about 50% through now. I have some mixed feelings about this game.

There's so much good but there are a ton of niggles too. I guess on balance I'd have to concede it's an excellent game because once I start playing it I just can't put it down. It's incredibly gripping. Some of the design choices do tend to shatter the illusion though - the way it funnels you through the environment, the inconsistency of the Clicker's hearing etc, Ellie occasionally getting stuck somewhere and having to reload etc.

I'm only playing on Normal but I've hit a couple of points where I've died repeatedly and it's really frustrating. I guess I'm 'doing it wrong' or something but a couple of sections have ended up being very trial and error. If there's a bunch of soldiers around and you get spotted you quickly get mobbed and die. The gunplay's nowhere near sharp enough to handle a hectic fire fight. I think I'm starting to get better at it but it's marred the first half of the game for me a little.

I've heard people call this 'this generation's RE4'. It really isn't. It's strengths are completely different and in terms of pure gameplay it's not close, unfortunately. I really can't see me replaying this like I have RE4. Not that that's really a serious criticism as the story and dialogue in this game are in a different league. It's just different and I don't think the comparison's very fair. Actually, to me, the game it feels most like at the moment is Half Life 2. Something about the atmosphere and pacing

Clone Outcast

Neo Member
So, I'm almost done watching this walkthrough. I just started Winter.
Why did Joel have to die?! I am not okay with that. I was almost teary eyed during that scene. EDIT: OH THANK GOD I WAS WRONG
I am not allowed to be this emotionally attached to a game I'm not even playing.

has to be. happened to me once during winter, playing as Ellie. however, when i came to the end of that specific part of the map, i was glaring into nothing - the next part hadn't loaded either, just like the enemies before. (in the same playthrough i also once fell through the floor into nothing,
in the cabin, after you meet David
.)

Exactly the same thing that happened to me.

sol_bad

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARQ
Almost completed an entire section of The Last of Us in stealth .... an then Ellie knocked over a bloody box of bottles!!!!!

raindoc

Did you even read my post? Where I said, "Make them arrive in a believable way, have them find one of the many corpses scattered around, and then they can go crazy searching all over for me." I have no problem with more guys showing up and being aggressive. The problem is the shit implementation. The player has no possible way of knowing more enemies spawn in the moment the last guy dies. There's no logic to it, and there's no warning. Maybe have Ellie shoot someone with the rifle so the enemies know you're there. Maybe just have her shout that she sees more guys coming in. There are any number of methods of constructing the scene so it's not just last guy's death instantly triggers more guys.

neither does joel.

surprisemotherfucker.jpg

IronRinn

I've seen a couple posts on this so I figured I should mention that you can do the Survivor+ glitch at any point. I started a Hard+ run, got to the slums, found out about the glitch, and began my Survivor + run from there. I will have to go back and re-do the chapters I skipped, if I ever finish it for the trophy I guess. Also, I had the online pass stuff downloaded and it did not affect my upgrades, though it is probably better to be safe than sorry.

The one thing I'm really not liking about Survivor is that it is terrible, for me at least, for mopping up collectibles which means I'll probably have to go back in later and do them chapter by chapter on Easy. The good thing about Survivor is how often I'm feeling forced into just avoiding combat all together. I made it through a few sections already without taking down a single enemy.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My last playthrough in Pittsburgh basically confirmed that this game has enemy spawns. Going through the
hotel
I was going to do a stealth take down of one guy, who's nearest companion was way down the hall. I know if enemies are quiet, they don't show up, but I had checked the other rooms. I had a dude spawn in the bathroom right after I strangled the first bad guy. I know there was nobody there because I had hid in there before I strangled him. Boooooooooooooo

Replicant

I'm only playing on Normal but I've hit a couple of points where I've died repeatedly and it's really frustrating. I guess I'm 'doing it wrong' or something but a couple of sections have ended up being very trial and error. If there's a bunch of soldiers around and you get spotted you quickly get mobbed and die. The gunplay's nowhere near sharp enough to handle a hectic fire fight. I think I'm starting to get better at it but it's marred the first half of the game for me a little.

This is my problem with the gunplay and the guns in general.

Nozem

My last playthrough in Pittsburgh basically confirmed that this game has enemy spawns. Going through the
hotel
I was going to do a stealth take down of one guy, who's nearest companion was way down the hall. I know if enemies are quiet, they don't show up, but I had checked the other rooms. I had a dude spawn in the bathroom right after I strangled the first bad guy. I know there was nobody there because I had hid in there before I strangled him. Boooooooooooooo

I also thought there spawned enemies behind me in that section, but on a second playthrough I discovered a giant hole in the ceiling in one of the rooms. The enemies also use that to move between floors (and so can you).

Haven't really been following this game because I've been busy with other things, so I basically know nothing about it.

Just ordered it from Amazon after looking quickly at what people think and I intend to keep myself unaware until I put the disc in the tray. Excited.

Dakota47

Haven't really been following this game because I've been busy with other things, so I basically know nothing about it.

Just ordered it from Amazon after looking quickly at what people think and I intend to keep myself unaware until I put the disc in the tray. Excited.

Good idea. This game at its best if you go in blank.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I'm glad his friend didn't let him invert the aiming. Monster.

EDIT: Saw more of the video. He inverted it. Damn it, Seth!

EDIT 2: Haha, what they said at the end (will spoiler because I don't want to spoil anyone):
Only the creators of Uncharted would do something this fucked up.

I think they really just laughed and interacted like that because they were being recorded.

Have you guys seen this rad clicker cosplay?

tumblr_moqqr2ncWg1r863jjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_moqqr2ncWg1r863jjo4_1280.jpg

Finally started it. First impressions are positive.
The prologue was indeed very powerful - it didn't make me cry and it wasn't the best intro ever, but it was pretty damn good. Now I just finished my first big shoot-out and stopped for today. Very satisfying combat overall.

Graphics look absolutely fine. Voice acting is excellent. Can't wait to continue and I hope the second half is indeed as amazing as everyone is telling me :D

Clone Outcast

Neo Member
The prologue was indeed very powerful - it didn't make me cry and it wasn't the best intro ever, but it was pretty damn good. Now I just finished my first big shoot-out and stopped for today. Very satisfying combat overall.

Graphics look absolutely fine. Voice acting is excellent. Can't wait to continue and I hope the second half is indeed as amazing as everyone is telling me :D
All I can say is you have no idea what you're in for. Like, I'm watching walkthroughs of the game and it's pretty intense. I mean, this game must be special if I'm willing to watch it be played for almost 12 hours with no commentary.

The first half is amazing and the second half shits all over it.

Andrew.

Banned
I just read that someone was on their fourth playthrough.

My mind is blown. It's taken me since the game launched to beat it (last night).

That would be me perhaps. Im on my fourth. All the SP trophies are obtained.

Too much ammo is given on Hard. Im at the
school
with 12 shotgun rounds, 8 rifle rounds, 14 revolver rounds, 16 9mm rounds, 3 Molotovs, 2 nail bombs and an upgraded bat. Oh and about 4 or 5 arrows.

Survivor really is the way to experience this.

crpav

This game...THIS GAME is AWESOME. I am near 18 hours played on normal and with listen mode on. Yeah, I know but I am enjoying it so much. It's the story, the characters and the whole experience that has me staying up late all week as I keep telling myself "just a little more". I am at 98% complete so next play session I should finish it and overall just amazing. I spend a lot of time looking for collectables and searching for everything so that's the reason for the 18 hours played.

Evolved1

That would be me perhaps. Im on my fourth. All the SP trophies are obtained.

Too much ammo is given on Hard. Im at the
school
with 12 shotgun rounds, 8 rifle rounds, 14 revolver rounds, 16 9mm rounds, 3 Molotovs, 2 nail bombs and an upgraded bat.

Survivor really is the way to experience this.

Survivor trains you to scrape by on barely anything... when you go back down a level or two, it's like suddenly opening the floodgates. "Here, go nuts".

Top Bottom