• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Mik3F

Finished this last night on Hard and then started straight away on survivor+. Can't get enough of this game at the moment

Going to try to get all the collectibles etc on this playthrough

If they survive it, that's a benefit. Or you can immediately pull out a gun and it will auto-aim to their face.

If you preempt the running melee with a brick/bottle and unload on them while they're stunned, it's always a OHK. And only uses one "hit" of your melee weapon. Critical for prolonging its use in later difficulties.

noted.

Man I always want to use my brick/bottle but I always forget and realize it after everyone's dead :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My one problem with the game (about halfway through) are the absurd amounts of bricks and bottles.

I clear out a room of 15 enemies, and am out of ammo and scavanging for more. Every time I see a blinking object, it's a brick or bottle. Not one single ammo or salvage drop. Just hundreds of bricks and bottles.

It's almost exhausting picking over every single blinking object in a large space when 99% of them are bricks or bottles.

I'd go so far to say that it should be a subtitle on the game.

"The Last of Us: But Not The Last Of Bricks And Bottles"

This game is infuriating me. The quality of this game is so high, but it refuses to load and a new game refuses to load assets after several minutes. Typically, I wouldn't be bothered, but I only have one day off work this week... It's something I could do without.

darkwing

My one problem with the game (about halfway through) are the absurd amounts of bricks and bottles.

I clear out a room of 15 enemies, and am out of ammo and scavanging for more. Every time I see a blinking object, it's a brick or bottle. Not one single ammo or salvage drop. Just hundreds of bricks and bottles.

It's almost exhausting picking over every single blinking object in a large space when 99% of them are bricks or bottles.

I'd go so far to say that it should be a subtitle on the game.

"The Last of Us: But Not The Last Of Bricks And Bottles"

sacrilege! bricks > bottles

Superflat

Is anyone playing with the render modes on.

I tried out the render modes last night and I wasn't feeling Dreampop (making darks purple) and Western (strong sepia filter) because they were both too saturated to play for any long length of time, but I REALLY loved Black and White. It was a really cool experience for me. Made the game beautiful in a different way, especially because of the advanced lighting in the game. Recommended if you haven't tried it.

Bug related to Ellie's Jak goggles. Spoilers just in case:

while playing as Ellie, turning on her flashlight causes a shadow to be projected from her Jak goggles. A bit annoying.

Hope it's patched.

Finished this last night on Hard and then started straight away on survivor+. Can't get enough of this game at the moment

How did you do a Survivor + after beating Hard? I thought you had to beat Survivor first before doing Survivor +. That's what I'm doing atm.

hal9001

Banned
Just for the record, I have to say that the
Giraffe set piece with the accompanying music and scenery is probably my favourite gaming moment ever. Pure art

CREMSteve

Just for the record, I have to say that the
Giraffe set piece with the accompanying music and scenery is probably my favourite gaming moment ever. Pure art

Absolutely.

I just finished the game.

Best videogame ever? Pinnacle of storytelling in gaming and any other hyperbole I can come up with? Yeah, I'd say so.

I bow before the greatness that is Naughty Dog.

What an adventure, it's worth it to buy a PS3 for this one game.

This is the first game I played where I can honestly say that someone out-MGS-ed MGS games, in terms of minutae gameplay possibilities and the attention to detail in those minutae.

TLoU is great in this regard, but not better than MGS. MGS3 has far more options available to the player in a given situation than anything in TLoU; you could hold someone hostage by pointing a gun at them, disable their radio, interrogate them, lean/stand on your tiptoes, knock on surfaces, shoot while hanging from stuff, Etc.

As far as AAA current-gen experiences though, it's probably the best.

How did you do a Survivor + after beating Hard? I thought you had to beat Survivor first before doing Survivor +. That's what I'm doing atm.

1. Start new game plus (same difficulty as your 1st playthrough)
2. Complete Chapter 1.
3. In Chapter 2 as soon as you gain control of Joel save the game.
4. Exit to Main Menu.
5. Go to Chapter Select.
6. Select Chapter 1.
7. Select Survivor difficulty.
8. Select the same save file you used to start new game plus.
9. You're now playing on Survivor +.

Worth noting that if you have the season pass bonuses active you better disable them as they could cause the progress (upgrades) from your 1st playthrough to not carry over (you'd still be playing on Survivor +, but without any of the upgrades).

What an adventure, it's worth it to buy a PS3 for this one game.

Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and The Last of Us make the PS3 one of the best consoles ever.

I want ND to implement a brick only mode. No guns. Just infinite bricks, which you can also upgrade. That would make for an interesting play through.

Vally

So I'm watching this walkthrough on youtube and wtf? (~95% I guess):
Are there supposed to be enemies inside the tunnel that leads to the hospital?? I didn't encounter a single clicker in that area, let alone a bloater. The thing is, I was hearing like a scary heavy breathing all the time while making my way through the tunnel, and I was fearing that an infected would jump on me at any time, but... nothing. Must have been a weird bug, I don't know.

Also I didn't know Bloaters can even climb up on top of things, holy shit.

Ok I feel like an idiot, but where can I watch the documentary you guys are talking about? I've went through every option in the menu...

It's available for people who bought the season pass. If you have purchased it, the option should be under downloads, on the main menu of the game.

I started this a few days ago. I'm at
Colorado U now
; not sure how far into the game that is.

I am loving the game. It may get a second play-through which is very rare for me to do.

One thing I appreciate is that every encounter feels dangerous. I especially get all f'd up when I think a big bloater might show up.

Darknight

1. Start new game plus (same difficulty as your 1st playthrough)
2. Complete Chapter 1.
3. In Chapter 2 as soon as you gain control of Joel save the game.
4. Exit to Main Menu.
5. Go to Chapter Select.
6. Select Chapter 1.
7. Select Survivor difficulty.
8. Select the same save file you used to start new game plus.
9. You're now playing on Survivor +.
Worth noting that if you have the season pass bonuses active you better disable them as they could cause the progress (upgrades) from your 1st playthrough to not carry over (you'd still be playing on Survivor +, but without any of the upgrades).

Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and The Last of Us make the PS3 one of the best consoles ever.

I havent looked at the trophies but if there is a "Survivor" playthrough trophy, can you get it this way? I beat it on hard last weekend but I dont feel like playing through Hard to unlock Survivor. (Im assuming you have to beat Hard to unlock survivor, I may be wrong)

And let say from Normal(beat it once), go to Survival+. Is it better to play without the upgrades carrying over? Like does it feel too easy if you play Survivor+ instead of just Survivor? (Hope I make sense here...)

Melchiah

I wish there was a way to get the concept art transferred to PC, which has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time. I'd love to use some of those as wallpapers.

sunnz

I havent looked at the trophies but if there is a "Survivor" playthrough trophy, can you get it this way? I beat it on hard last weekend but I dont feel like playing through Hard to unlock Survivor. (Im assuming you have to beat Hard to unlock survivor, I may be wrong)

And let say from Normal(beat it once), go to Survival+. Is it better to play without the upgrades carrying over? Like does it feel too easy if you play Survivor+ instead of just Survivor? (Hope I make sense here...)

Survivor is unlocked after completing the game on any difficulty.

Just played for another bit and got to the very start of Fall. I guess I was playing Summer? I forget.

Anyway end of "summer" story stuff
saw that one coming a mile away. I wonder if Henry and Sam will be the characters in that planned single player DLC? Would fit into the exact same gameplay template as Joel and Ellie.

Also I guess Henry was the guy who did the VO in the very, VERY first TLOU teaser video?

Oh and FUCK that sniper segment.

Just over 11 hours in and my save says 61%. This game is long.
Kind of wish I did hard more now I have learned the systems and the shotgun pretty much kills anything close range but whatever. I think this will be my next Plat since Uncharted 2.

Darknight

Survivor is unlocked after completing the game on any difficulty.

Nice! Normally ND makes you beat it on hard to unlock say Crushing in Uncharted games. Thank god. I typically beat the games on Normal then hard etc because I dont want to deal with a cheap experience on my first go. Id rather enjoy the first playthrough and then try it on hard mode if I enjoyed it.

So now begs the question...should I replay it on Survivor or Survivor+? Im not sure how challenging it gets but I dont mind starting from scratch.

Yeah, that came out of nowhere. Really nice touch.

It seriously one of those big gaming moments I'll never forget. BioShock's big thing didn't phase me, Portal's jokes I laughed but still, right through, it's very rare for a game to actually stick with me at a particular moment. But pretty much knowing something either good or bad is going to happen soon after that moment was absolutely amazing. Probably my favorite thing this gen.

Show of hands, who else play the entire game and forgot there was a 180° spin around move?

I did it now and then.

When I was completely alone and not fighting any enemies. I just never needed it and in the heat of the moment in an actual battle I never thought about it.

khaaan

Show of hands, who else play the entire game and forgot there was a 180° spin around move?

I would often forget about it, I think it was during the final parts of the game where I accidentally pulled it off and thought "oh yeah, I can do this".

So I decided to momentarily move on from this game because the only HDTV in the house was claimed and I couldn't say much because I hogged it quite a bit for this game. I followed up this amazing experience with Star Fox Adventures. Star. Fox. Adventures. Don't get me wrong, I loves me a good Zelda-esque and I think if I was playing this game any other time I would enjoy it quite a bit....but it's going to take me a few weeks to fully "digest" this game.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just beat it.

OH. MY. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

DAT ENDING. DAT EVERYTHING. AAAAAAAAAAAH.

Good shit Naughty Dog, GOOD SHIT.

sunnz

Nice! Normally ND makes you beat it on hard to unlock say Crushing in Uncharted games. Thank god. I typically beat the games on Normal then hard etc because I dont want to deal with a cheap experience on my first go. Id rather enjoy the first playthrough and then try it on hard mode if I enjoyed it.

So now begs the question...should I replay it on Survivor or Survivor+? Im not sure how challenging it gets but I dont mind starting from scratch.

I'm like 45 to 50% into my Survivor ( not +)

It is pretty challenging and loot is very very low.

While it is hard, it doesn't feel impossible. I think a + run would make it slightly easier ( not too much I reckon) and if I knew about this glitch before hand, I would have gone with the survivor + run instead so I could experience the game while being more... capable in a sense ( more skills)

It is really up to you, if you want more of a challenge, then normal survivor mode will be better.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It kinda sucks but Area5 worked on it and treated it like a 90 minute movie. I ordered the season pass to support them.

The MP is so bare bones and the meta game that punishes people for things that are outside of their control has left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. They're out of their fucking minds if they think they've earned enough trust to justify a season pass purchase. All they've proven so far as that they'll do the least amount possible when it comes to mp. And then try and spin some "quality over quantity" bullshit PR line has really caused me to lose a ton of respect for them on the MP front. Even though I think they have pretty much made the best game I've ever played, and I think they are the best devs in the industry (doing what they do) I've been so put off by the way they handled mp and their audacity to try and peddle a season pass.

jediyoshi

The MP is so bare bones and the meta game that punishes people for things that are outside of their control has left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth.

Bare bones mechanically? Gameplay wise? Amount of content? There's somehow an incredible lack of clarity for the amount you've managed to write around your disdain about it.

Darknight

Yea I completely forgot now that you mention it. Guess its useful if you run away and do a quick turn to shoot back else I had no use for it.

Just beat it.

OH. MY. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

DAT ENDING. DAT EVERYTHING. AAAAAAAAAAAH.

Good shit Naughty Dog, GOOD SHIT.

This game got me GOOD. Like I keep thinking about it even after I beat it around a week ago and it lingers in my mind when Im at work. Story and characters are so damn rich, I love them.
Ending kills me a little deep inside though because I care for them. They are so well crafted, damn it ND!

While it is hard, it doesn't feel impossible. I think a + run would make it slightly easier ( not too much I reckon) and if I knew about this glitch before hand, I would have gone with the survivor + run instead so I could experience the game while being more... capable in a sense ( more skills)

It is really up to you, if you want more of a challenge, then normal survivor mode will be better.

Ok thank you sir. Ill try to play it on regular survivor for the challenge.

One awesome thing that I would like to compliment ND is that the spanish track/dubb is from Latin America! And their Portuguese track is from Brazil. Major props to them because its just common sense to use those dubbs instead of the PAL/Euro ones. Thumbs up ND :) I will be playing in spanish on my second run....maybe my mom will think Im watching a really dark soap opera! Ha!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is it just me or does every multiplayer game I join seem to ALWAYS turn in favor for the other team?

Every game it's a straight domination, I just don't get it. Have yet to be on a winning team.

I'm always feeling flatout outclassed and outgunned by every enemy I face in this bitch.

Shit's infuriating.

mauaus

I'm finishing my first hard game, if I want to jump to survivor+ with this glitch would it be possible?

Best game I've played in years. But I traded it back in. Now I regret trading it in even though I almost never replay games. I don't really want to play it again but I do wish I still owned it. lol.

Top Bottom