• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Andrew.

Banned
Survivor trains you to scrape by on barely anything... when you go back down a level or two, it's like suddenly opening the floodgates. "Here, go nuts".

For real. Its almost unfair. I was so used to never finding supplies or ammo and now its like its all raining down upon me.

Jinjo

That would be me perhaps. Im on my fourth. All the SP trophies are obtained.

Too much ammo is given on Hard. Im at the
school
with 12 shotgun rounds, 8 rifle rounds, 14 revolver rounds, 16 9mm rounds, 3 Molotovs, 2 nail bombs and an upgraded bat.

Survivor really is the way to experience this.

I actually have more ammo on my second playthrough on survivor mode than I did my first on Hard. Knowing how to deal with situations helps a lot in this game when it comes to resources. Not sure whether Survivor mode would actually work better as a first playthrough thing because of that reason. I definitely thought that hard-no listen was pretty much perfect as far as difficulty went.

This game...THIS GAME is AWESOME. I am near 18 hours played on normal and with listen mode on. Yeah, I know but I am enjoying it so much. It's the story, the characters and the whole experience that has me staying up late all week as I keep telling myself "just a little more". I am at 98% complete so next play session I should finish it and overall just amazing. I spend a lot of time looking for collectables and searching for everything so that's the reason for the 18 hours played.

If you play it again do so with listening off. I saw a playthrough on youtube after I'd finished it and the guys were using LM. Think it kind of sucked a lot of the suspense out of the game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I actually have more ammo on my second playthrough on survivor mode than I did my first on Hard. Knowing how to deal with situations helps a lot in this game when it comes to resources. Not sure whether Survivor mode would actually work better as a first playthrough thing because of that reason. I definitely thought that hard-no listen was pretty much perfect as far as difficulty went.

I agree that first playthrough would be best on hard, no listen.

Survivor can actually be mean. Because there is no regen health (thank christ) and they don't even give you health between "areas" (thank christ) it just might be a little too mean for first time through.

Andrew.

Banned
If you play it again do so with listening off. I saw a playthrough on youtube after I'd finished it and the guys were using LM. Think it kind of sucked a lot of the suspense out of the game.

I used LM for my very first run. Survivor is great because that and melee prompts are disabled. Now on any runs Ive been disabling the melee prompts (really better this way) and never using LM. Using LM to me now really feels like Im cheating the system.

traveler

Not Wario
Re:health in Survivor- (It's useful on any difficulty, just moreso there) Don't grab the pills upgrade for max health until you absolutely need to heal and have no kits; they're basically 2 "free" full recovers.

Wag

Was playing last night, got to a crucial point and the damn game locked up on me! Hate it when than happens.:(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Re:health in Survivor- (It's useful on any difficulty, just moreso there) Don't grab the pills upgrade for max health until you absolutely need to heal and have no kits; they're basically 2 "free" full recovers.

Yep.

And if you really think about it, two "free" molotovs. Which are nearly indispensable in survivor.

khaaan

I'm afraid of playing on Survivor =P
Did my first run on normal, doing the second run on hard and if I feel comfortable enough I'll do it on survivor.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm afraid of playing on Survivor =P
Did my first run on normal, doing the second run on hard and if I feel comfortable enough I'll do it on survivor.

If youve already completed two playthroughs you'll be fine. Half the battle is already knowing what to expect.

Continuing my playthrough (Hard, Listen off) of areas I've seen and finally got to some parts I hadn't watched already.

Very positive impression so far, honestly. Incredible atmosphere, was impressed by how much more my tension level increased as I got into part of the game I hadn't seen yet. Only complaints really is how all patrols so far are completely set and don't change unless you distract an enemy - at which point they just start following another set patrol.

Thus far, the stealth experience has been really uneven because of this, that and the AI having tunnel vision for view range. Although the game definitely gives you different ways to approach an encounter, I'm ultimately finding that the whole thing feels much more like I'm just memorizing the patterns in a puzzle game. This isn't a bad thing really, it's just not really what I'd hoped.

I'm also oddly playing as if I don't have a health bar for some reason. I generally just let everything kill me if I'm seen since the checkpoints are so forgiving. I don't think I've bothered with a health pack since the start of the game, but then again I seem to be operating in RPG/survival horror health pack hording mode. I've actually stopped bothering crafting any more health packs and just spending all the resources on Molotovs, since I'm in love with them.

So far I'd say the gameplay is a lot less complex than I wanted it to be, but the whole experience is compelling enough that I don't want to put it down. It's already been more enjoyable than all the Uncharteds for me.

bjaelke

And then of course you have the borderline game breaking flamethrower

Borderline?

At the very end of the tunnel leading to the hospital Ellie jumps a fence to open it on the other side. She gets attacked and her lifebar starts to deplete. I had the flamethrower equipped and panicked so I just attacked both of them with a single burst. The infected was engulfed in the flames, but Ellie wasn't burnt at all despite being closer to Joel...

Previous encounters had me stress over the weapon sway in an attempt to land a lethal headshot.

crpav

I will go that route if I play again. On a side note, I have not upgraded anything at all.

By the way, is it me or do enemies almost never drop resources when you stealth kill them? Sometimes it feels as though I'd be better off trying to get headshots on the last 2 people in a scenario, as it lowers the odds of them dropping 3 bullets in return for the 2 it would cost me

ButchCat

Question. I'm playing on survivor but I missed out on some collectibles. Does starting from the beginning chapter void the survivor trophy?

Yup playing it on hard, no listen mode as well. I'm a Chaos Theory veteran, so I'm obviously going all stealth on these assholes :p

Really noticed the weird companion AI during my first big encounter. Tess kept running around and going right by enemies, even running into them and they didn't notice at all. Was a little bit immersion breaking, but I realize why they did it.
Will see how it goes with Clickers, but the humans were pretty easy to take all down using stealth on hard.

mattp

This game got me GOOD. Like I keep thinking about it even after I beat it around a week ago and it lingers in my mind when Im at work. Story and characters are so damn rich, I love them. Ending kills me a little deep inside though because I care for them. They are so well crafted, damn it ND!

god dammit this better not be the spoiler i think it is

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TLoU is great in this regard, but not better than MGS. MGS3 has far more options available to the player in a given situation than anything in TLoU; you could hold someone hostage by pointing a gun at them, disable their radio, interrogate them, lean/stand on your tiptoes, knock on surfaces, shoot while hanging from stuff, Etc.

As far as AAA current-gen experiences though, it's probably the best.
Not to get into a pissing match against a game I love (MGS3), but you can do a lot of that in TLOU. You can hold someone up and use as a shield, throw stuff to attract enemies attention, leave a 'bomb' somewhere then throw something there to make them move in that direction so that bomb goes off, etc, and while you can't lean or stand on tiptoes, there's environmental/cover interaction that's far beyond anything in MGS.

Grinchy

Banned

haha that was awesome. Good to see that Seth is one of the real gamers (he inverts).

Have you guys seen this rad clicker cosplay?

tumblr_moqqr2ncWg1r863jjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_moqqr2ncWg1r863jjo4_1280.jpg

Damn. I have such conflicting feelings lol

Nozem

Quick question: are bottles and bricks exactly the same gameplay wise? Or are bricks better for melee attacks and do bottles make more sound? That would be logical.

Vodh

Imagine if TLoU worked with Oculus Rift - I bet there would be buyers for a clicker-head themed Oculus Rifts.

Mikey Jr.

Quick question: are bottles and bricks exactly the same gameplay wise? Or are bricks better for melee attacks and do bottles make more sound? That would be logical.

Thats what I thought, but apparently sound wise they are exactly the same, with bricks being better melee.

So always take a brick in the end.

It does make sense your way though.

Darknight

god dammit this better not be the spoiler i think it is

I spoilered that bit since its a little misleading. Everyone who read my post just ignore it. It was more of an opinion than something that happens in the game. Thing is, I love the characters and they were really well made. So much that I cared for them every minute of the game.

pa22word

My artbook came in day, and quite early. Amazon listed the release as the 7th of July when I preordered it. It's a really beautiful book, and anyone who picks this up will get their money's worth, at whatever the cost (paid $25). Seeing how all the designs evolved is really quite fascinating, too. Early Joel looked very similar to Daryl from the walking dead with bigger eyes, lol.

Vally

Man, the human enemies are definitely smarter on Survivor... I was replaying the hotel level from the E3 demo and I think it's the first time I've seen an enemy throwing a smoke bomb at you. Immediately after two other dudes flank me from both sides and bam, I'm dead. It felt pretty much like getting owned in a multiplayer match, minus the teabagging.

Zemm

Same with me, really. Problem is groups. 4 guys who've all played together for a while and are good at the game all group up and you get on a team with a bunch of randoms.

This is what's happened with me in probably 7 of the last 8 or 9 games I've played. We've just been annihilated.

All my friends play on PC so none of them have this game, and what you said is the reason i don't bother with the MP. They need to add a mercenary mode and I might think about playing it again.

Question.

Combat seems to be broken up between ether human encounters or infected encounters. Do we get any 3 way fights at some point?

I just arrive at
The universality
. They went right for the feels during that last section. From what I gather it only gets more depressing from here.

I normally dont play a game longer then a hour at a time but this game has pushed me to 2 hours on 3 occasions. That saying something.
That Naughty Dog dont have natural breaking points in any of there recent games. Also its damn good.

Also I regret not getting the special edition for the soundtrack now. :( I had to save myself $10 didnt I?

15:47:54 first play through.

Question.

Combat seems to be broken up between ether human encounters or infected encounters. Do we get any 3 way fights at some point?

I just arrive at
The universality
. They went right for the feels during that last section. From what I gather it only gets more depressing from here.

I normally dont play a game longer then a hour at a time but this game has pushed me to 2 hours on 3 occasions. That saying something.
That Naughty Dog dont have natural breaking points in any of there recent games. Also its damn good.

All separate.

Fuck. Is it just me or does the intro get sadder and sadder each time. Just replayed it and it got to me much worse than the first time for some reason lol

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Fuck. Is it just me or does the intro get sadder and sadder each time. Just replayed it and it got to me much worse than the first time for some reason lol

played it in black and white mode and i thought the same thing, it was sadder without color lol

Vally

Question.

Right after you get out of the hotel basement there's that room where some bandits arrive and kill a clicker (I don't know if it's scripted or you can do something in order to make the clicker attack them) but other than that there aren't any mixed encounters

Top Bottom