• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Balb

This may seem like a really stupid question but I just beat the game, and I was wondering if it's safe to turn the game off (I'm at the main menu) or if I have to start a new file on new game+ and save once.

Edit: Nevermind, it autosaves. What a game.

jombag

Just finished it..Dont want to replay it again cus it's so depressing and sad (the story not the game) lol. The game is good that I wanted to keep playing to see what happens next. It really felt like I was playing a movie.

jett

D-Member
Just finished it on Survivor. Overall it wasn't that different of an experience from my normal run since both times I played super stealthly and was stingy with my ammo. I did go a bit nuts at the end, throwing everything I had at the fuckers. :p Survivor also proved that listening mode wasn't necessary at all and that the game wasn't really designed with that crap in mind.

I'm still missing so many goddamn artifacts, I just don't understand where I haven't looked. I'll have to use a guide on my Survivor+ run.

antitrop

Just finished it on Survivor. Overall it wasn't that different of an experience from my normal run since both times I played super stealthly and was stingy with my ammo. I did go a bit nuts at the end, throwing everything I had at the fuckers. :p Survivor also proved that listening mode wasn't necessary at all and that the game wasn't really designed with that crap in mind.
Looks like I'm going to have to begin my Survivor run, then. I'm unconvinced about Listen Mode.

Superflat

I'm on my pure survivor run (reached the
sewers
) and I'm playing it significantly differently this time. I could usually scrape (shoot) my way out of shitty situations, but not here.

I don't know what the real statistic is but I feel like I fired around ten bullets total in this run so far. That's ten bullets in roughly eight hours of gameplay. Stealthed/melee/sprinted/hid my way through so many encounters.

I'm really just surviving through this game, lol

Patch is out? Any ideas what it's for?

Edit: Nevermind saw it in the MP theread

Changelist for Patch 1.02

Single player
Texture of a phone number on a bulletin board changed

Multiplayer
Technical

Host migration has been improved. Losing connection to the host during a migration should occur less often
General crash when leaving multiplayer fixed
Intro camera fix for some introductory cut-scenes
Connectivity issues while playing have been tuned
If you disconnect or lose connection to the host, you will no longer advance a clan day. You will only advance a day if you are kicked from the match, or exit through the menu

Gameplay

Explosion Expert level 2 should be selectable now
The voting time for match selection has been reduced to 15 seconds
“No party” playlist options have been added to both Supply Raid and Survivors, players can only join this playlist solo
Melee against a downed character now uses the same range as normal melee

As you see we made some tweaks to improve various gameplay and technical issues that arose once the game was launched. We’ll be updating and adding additional fixes over the coming months. Keep reporting any issues on our technical forums.

See you online!

Single player

Multiplayer
Technical

Host migration has been improved. Losing connection to the host during a migration should occur less often
If you disconnect or lose connection to the host, you will no longer advance a clan day. You will only advance a day if you are kicked from the match, or exit through the menu

Gameplay

“No party” playlist options have been added to both Supply Raid and Survivors, players can only join this playlist solo

As you see we made some tweaks to improve various gameplay and technical issues that arose once the game was launched. We’ll be updating and adding additional fixes over the coming months. Keep reporting any issues on our technical forums.

See you online!

That one guy who apparently says ND stole his map is super pissed now I bet. lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Single player

Multiplayer
Technical

Gameplay

See you online!

Good job ND.

I've been one of the most vocal detractors on gaf (of MP) and this patch has addressed many of my issues.

Though, there still isn't a stripped down playlist, this is still quite encouraging.

Imm0rt4l

I'm still missing so many goddamn artifacts, I just don't understand where I haven't looked. I'll have to use a guide on my Survivor+ run.

This is good to know. My next playthrough is going to be on survivor mode.

Defuser

wtf,they released a new patch but still doesn't fix the real issues such as phat ps3 crashing and other stuff? wtf naughty dog.

This game is leagues better than UC2
I consider this is hyperbole. The amount of "holy shit" in the UC2 thread was never before seen in gaf history and even though tlou is universally praised in this thread there wasn't much "holy shit". I havent play tlou though so my view may change.

GuessWho

Just finished it. What a masterpiece. Easily game of the generation. What a way to close this gen too. Loved every second of it.
Weird but I don't want a sequel. I wouldn't mind waiting another 3-4 years for another if they HAD to make one.

RDreamer

All my friends play on PC so none of them have this game, and what you said is the reason i don't bother with the MP. They need to add a mercenary mode and I might think about playing it again.

As was just posted, they are patching in a no party playlist, so that's awesome.

Vire

wtf,they released a new patch but still doesn't fix the real issues such as phat ps3 crashing and other stuff? wtf naughty dog.

I don't think there's much they can do about the old systems crashing.

It's a hardware thing, not a software.

Evolved1

I don't think there's much they can do about the old systems crashing.

It's a hardware thing, not a software.

One good thing about buying digital... seems to be much milder on the hardware. My PS3 doesn't get too hot even after marathon sessions.

Evolved1

Yeah, I imagine the disc spinning at light speed certainly isn't helping the heat issues.

I wonder if they could have saved some of the older PS3s by allowing a full install.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I consider this is hyperbole. The amount of "holy shit" in the UC2 thread was never before seen in gaf history and even though tlou is universally praised in this thread there wasn't much "holy shit". I havent play tlou though so my view may change.

That may have more to do with the community becoming more jaded over the years than the actual quality of the game though. Uncharted 2 at the time of release presented new things that have since become a little stale in the industry. And as well, The Last of Us had a larger reputation to live up to.

Vire

Did a search on holy shit throughout the thread: 214 holy shits.

For reference Bioshock Infinite's thread only had 157 holy shits.

Scientifically, TLOU > Bioshock Infinite.

Evolved1

It's because very often TLoU just leaves you speechless.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Have you guys seen this rad clicker cosplay?

tumblr_moqqr2ncWg1r863jjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_moqqr2ncWg1r863jjo4_1280.jpg

Her knee's aren't sharp so she is perfect.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Gotta be completely honest. I'm an hour or so in this game and I simply don't dig it.

It seems way to scripted. The way I can describe my experience is like a 3rd person adventure game on rails.

I played and like the uncharted series, and I knew exactly what to expect here. Heavily story driven but it's too slow paced for me.

I understand I'm extremely early in the game but Its simply not doing it for me.

I'm reminded of something like the walking dead and Id rather sit back and watch that than go through heavily scripted animations right now.

Imm0rt4l

Gotta be completely honest. I'm an hour or so in this game and I simply don't dig it.

It seems way to scripted. The way I can describe my experience is like a 3rd person adventure game on rails.

I played and like the uncharted series, and I knew exactly what to expect here. Heavily story driven but it's too slow paced for me.

I understand I'm extremely early in the game but Its simply not doing it for me.

I'm reminded of something like the walking dead and Id rather sit back and watch that than go through heavily scripted animations right now.

Just continue playing the game, an hour isn't shit.

The game is easily 18 hours long (on hard mode, where all big boys play the first time).

Superflat

That's how I felt for the first couple hours, really. The opening was amazing but afterwards there was a bunch of walking and set up. I was enjoying the dialogue and production but I felt overly restricted.

It gets MUCH better.

KorrZ

The game is for sure a bit of a slow starter. I felt disappointed at first as well, but trust me...about 2-3 hours in it picks up HARD and never stops. Just give it a little more time.

Neil Druckmann's script to this game is REALLY good. The overall zombie plot and some of the story beats are cliche(some of them I feel I just saw in the Walking Dead), but the execution is just top-notch. A lot of great economical dialog and nuanced characterizations, subtle things that say a lot with a very little. Everything seems to flow very naturally and believably. Everything, even the action beats, seem to be grounded in real character drama. It goes for genuine emotion, and it earns it. Put that together with some fantastic animation, proper blocking and directing, great voice actors...its pretty impressive, especially it how the gameplay reflects and intertwines with the narrative.

antitrop

The Last of Us makes Uncharted 2 look like game from an inferior developer. That's my subjective opinion.

Because TLoU does not have epic set pieces like shootout in a collapsing building or hanging from a dangling train off a cliff. Those moments are designed to elicit that reaction. TLoU is incomparable in that regard.

Blader

So how real is the "TLoU kills old PS3s" problem? I was going to grab this from redbox and spend the weekend playing, but all the stories of PS3s overheating and dying while running the game has scared me off a little. :lol

antitrop

So how real is the "TLoU kills old PS3s" problem? I was going to grab this from redbox and spend the weekend playing, but all the stories of PS3s overheating and dying while running the game has scared me off a little. :lol
I swear to God mine was seeing the light almost the entire time, but it made it through and I'm proud of it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

I have a near-launch 20GB unicorn and it handled it without incident.

Balb

I beat the game today using a 60GB PS3. I never had any problems while playing, though the console was really loud during certain parts of the game. Had to turn subtitles on for that reason.

Gadirok

Honestly, Twisted Metal is more likely to kill your phat than TLoU.

Superflat

My phat is stuffed to the gills with dust (I really need to clean it out) and is loud as fuck when I play TLOU, but I'm on my second playthrough and it's working just fine. I was scared too while playing it though tbh. It seems like an actual problem, though it seems to affect a minority. I really fucking need to buy a slim.

antitrop

I beat the game today using a 60GB PS3. I never had any problems while playing, though the console was really loud during certain parts of the game. Had to turn subtitles on for that reason.

Yup, my PS3 was so loud that I would have had to do the same if I wasn't using headphones. I honestly don't even know how it's capable of producing that much noise. It's staggering and rather shocking how loud it can get.

Top Bottom