• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Minamu

The initial loading screen does take really long if you're playing off a disc (I hear it's not an issue if you're playing the downloaded version). It's comparable to loading times in UC2 and UC3. It's very front-loaded but in exchange you could basically finish the campaign in one sitting without seeing a single additional load screen.

Ya, it really is a "grab my iPhone and start reading GAF" kind of loading screen.
I do the same thing. I just clocked it at 2:40 minutes. But the percentage started at 80% instead of 0% today so it might've been longer last time. I don't remember UC2 and 3 being this extreme though? No loading screens in-game is good though for sure. I suppose the cutscenes hide them though (skippable?).

I do the same thing. I just clocked it at 2:40 minutes. But the percentage started at 80% instead of 0% today so it might've been longer last time. I don't remember UC2 and 3 being this extreme though? No loading screens in-game is good though for sure. I suppose the cutscenes hide them though (skippable?).
This is only on discs?
Cause I got the digital version and my load times are always less than 20-30 seconds

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I need some advice. I started this game on the hardest difficulty, thinking if I could handle Uncharted, I could handle this as well. I'm at the
sewers part, right after escaping Pittsburgh
and I'm starting to regret my choice. I don't mind a challenge, but here I am, stuck with
henry
and I have barely any bullets and rooms full of clickers ahead of me. It's been that way for a couple of hours now, mostly since
arriving in Pittsburgh
and I feel it's dampening my enjoyment of the game. So I was wondering, is changing the difficulty a good idea and what will change exactly if I do?

Even on survivor...
if you make kills
, in this section of the game,
it will give you ammo. I think they tuned this section differently to bail out players who have nothing to fight with. I got significant shotty drops by killing enemies. You just have to fight for your life, but you'll get drops.
Good luck!

Just played the part where
Joel gets impaled at the college and you have to get his bleeding out ass out of there! Holy shit that was intense! I'm at the follow-up part where you play as Ellie(wasn't expecting that) and it seems fairly obvious that Joel survived somehow, but then again......

Superflat

I haven't come across a situation where I wasn't able to skip a cutscene. The textures may look like shit if you do though, at least from my experience, lol

newjeruse

Who is PewDewPie and how does he basically pull off cable tv ratings for his Youtube channel on his Last of Us playthrough? He gets a million views per video. I didn't know Youtube play-throughs were so big.

Who is PewDewPie and how does he basically pull off cable tv ratings for his Youtube channel on his Last of Us playthrough? He gets a million views per video. I didn't know Youtube play-throughs were so big.
That twat is playing TLoU? Eugh, I can only imagine him ruining the entire experience by filling his playthrough with racist comments and rape jokes. :/

MrKnives

He is biggest there is I think. Not like everyone has close to 10m subs.

Paganmoon

That's 1 million copies ND lost in sales then.

I kid, I kid.

Minamu

This is only on discs?
Cause I got the digital version and my load times are always less than 20-30 seconds
Supposedly, yes. I personally have never seen anything like it as far as I can remember. That wrestling game on PSP comes to mind but I haven't played it myself so.

I haven't come across a situation where I wasn't able to skip a cutscene. The textures may look like shit if you do though, at least from my experience, lol
Okay :lol I haven't tried for obvious reasons.

GolazoDan

I'm 75% in exactly (according to the load screen), dunno if that includes the collectibles or it's just story progression. Dunno if I wanna play anymore.

JOEL?!?!

I'll keep going though.

I remember being somewhat pissed when they changed Ellie from the first reveal. Looking back I think the younger Ellie looks a lot better. Good job ND.

So after beating this I decided I wanted to go back and play through the Uncharted series again. Wow, Drake moves about 20x faster than Joel :lol. Wasn't used to that after playing TLOU for the last 4 days.

Septimius

So this fucking sucks. Not just that I finished the game and can't enjoy any more and fresh experiences from this fantastic game, but this stupid fact:

I started playing on hard. I was set on playing hard. First proper encounter with infected + clicker, and I just kept dying over and over. We all died there. I was just wondering if the game would be just frustratingly hard, so I switched it over to normal to see if there was any difference in the game itself. I saw the amount of infected was the same, and the clicker still one-shot you, so I turned it back to hard.

I decided it'd probably probably rob me of the hard trophy, but I didn't give a shit, because I've made a choice not to ever care about another trophy.

But not only am I fucked out of playing through survivor, which I really wanted to do, I can't continue a new game on Hard+. That means if I play it again, I'll just have to go through the entire damn game just to get to Hard+. It's just such a fucking waste, fucking damnit shit nipples.

Eleuin

So this fucking sucks. Not just that I finished the game and can't enjoy any more and fresh experiences from this fantastic game, but this stupid fact:

I started playing on hard. I was set on playing hard. First proper encounter with infected + clicker, and I just kept dying over and over. We all died there. I was just wondering if the game would be just frustratingly hard, so I switched it over to normal to see if there was any difference in the game itself. I saw the amount of infected was the same, and the clicker still one-shot you, so I turned it back to hard.

I decided it'd probably probably rob me of the hard trophy, but I didn't give a shit, because I've made a choice not to ever care about another trophy.

But not only am I fucked out of playing through survivor, which I really wanted to do, I can't continue a new game on Hard+. That means if I play it again, I'll just have to go through the entire damn game just to get to Hard+. It's just such a fucking waste, fucking damnit shit nipples.
You unlock survivor by beating the game on any difficulty.

So how real is the "TLoU kills old PS3s" problem? I was going to grab this from redbox and spend the weekend playing, but all the stories of PS3s overheating and dying while running the game has scared me off a little. :lol

This happens any time a new big release comes. It's just because there is a large ratio of people playing the same game and for long periods of time. This puts lots of stress on older systems that have a tendency to fail.

Septimius

Septimius

So how real is the "TLoU kills old PS3s" problem? I was going to grab this from redbox and spend the weekend playing, but all the stories of PS3s overheating and dying while running the game has scared me off a little. :lol

This happens any time a new big release comes. It's just because there is a large ratio of people playing the same game and for long periods of time. This puts lots of stress on older systems that have a tendency to fail.

Yup. That, and the fact that people might not have used their PS3s for some time, and dust has collected. My old fat PS3 only froze once. And the strangest thing happeed when I restarted the console and loaded the save. It took like 5 seconds to load.

Superflat

My survivor difficulty run update: Thought I got past the hard part of Winter
(The infected Resident Evil style shootout)
but was reminded that the whole thing is pretty darn hard. Died so many times, taking a break *_*

N2NOther

Banned
I'm stuck in Survivor mode.

In the undergound tunnel. All I have left are three bloaters but they will not go down. At all. I've used everything I have several times over and they still won't drop. The last time I did this level I ran past them and boosted Ellie up but this time she says "There are too many of them."

Grrrr.

N2NOther

Banned

In the undergound tunnel. All I have left are three bloaters but they will not go down. At all. I've used everything I have several times over and they still won't drop. The last time I did this level I ran past them and boosted Ellie up but this time she says "There are too many of them."

Grrrr.

Nevermind. I restarted it and took everything out with the quickness.

alterno69

Banned
Jesus Christ I guess I'm not supposed to play this game. If I have it update to 1.02 it crashes my PS3.

If I cancel update instead, it never loads the game and crashes when I eject the disk.
Same here, only i actually got to the last chapter and now it won't load and i can't beat it.

Donthizz#

Grrrr.

just sneak past them, that's what I did. :)

This has probably been posted already, but I found it incredibly amusing (with how the AI acts sometimes during stealth situations):

2013-06-19.gif

lol

This has probably been posted already, but I found it incredibly amusing (with how the AI acts sometimes during stealth situations):

http://iamarg.com/comics/2013-06-19.gif[./img]

lol[/QUOTE]
Certainly the most "annoying" aspect of the game but in no way hampers the gameplay. I can understand why it's there. Hopefully in PS4 they will be able to fix this and make it more believable.

Septimius

Certainly the most "annoying" aspect of the game but in no way hampers the gameplay. I can understand why it's there. Hopefully in PS4 they will be able to fix this and make it more believable.

The truth of the matter is that AI pathing is a very taxing thing to do. Who knows with the power of the cloud (sorry, couldn't let that one slide). At any rate, it's still a very hard thing for a programmer to program believable AI hiding logic that can actually be detectable. You would most likely end up with dead- and livelocks, where you'd be unable to progress without alerting every monster in the area. It's pretty clear that it just had to be that way, and as soon as you accept it as a part of the game, the less it'll be a problem. Just the same with noise of strangling someone. I enjoy the fact that you can't alert someone by the one you're choking making too much sound. Maybe it would've worked, but so long that you just accept it more as "chocking takes time, and you only need to care not to be seen", then you accept the way it works.

Same here. I turned it off before starting the game just to eliminate any temptation to use it during a challenging portion of the game. I remember some people fearing that it was one of those games that was designed around using it, but after completing it I think that it's clear that it was purely put in there just to help those out who were having a hard time. The game certainly wasn't designed around the feature though.

Definitely think the harder difficulties should default to it being off.

Without it the game hit those emotional notes they were going for so much more often, in so many ways. It made the play with humans frantic, improvised, cautious and defensive. And it made times with the clickers scary and overwhelming.

Definitely this game could have done without the zombies. Everything I loved about it, did not involve them.

The human AI is just so special though.

Yeah it's a pretty game.

Seriously there are some lovely bits like that, but the soft shadows/ambient occlusion like shadows are the thing that amaze me.

Seriously brilliant. Really highlights the aesthetic issues that SSAO has. Most notably it being a 'filter' of sorts only functioning on a 2D level with that ugly halo effect. This game just has the msot amazing lighting.

Superflat

Finished Winter on Survivor: Fuuuuuuck.
Rarely does a game make me aware of my own heartbeat racing. Seriously fucked up and tense stuff... and I played through this before lol

Wanted to mention again that the lighting in this game is really something else. Playing it in black and white is a great way to experience it and to see how brilliant the lighting actually is.

omonimo

Banned
Yeah it's a pretty game.

Seriously there are some lovely bits like that, but the soft shadows/ambient occlusion like shadows are the thing that amaze me.

Seriously brilliant. Really highlights the aesthetic issues that SSAO has. Most notably it being a 'filter' of sorts only functioning on a 2D level with that ugly halo effect. This game just has the msot amazing lighting.

The only thing which ruined this game is the horrible low buffer like every ND game, it's the tragedy of the ps3 hardware. Jaggies are really disgusting in different situations.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Still chugging along on my initial playthrough. I'm finally in
Winter and I just got done sneaking through the campground with Ellie only to get caught by that one creepy guy. Naughty Dog really captured the tense feelings of being a 14 year old girl having to outwit grown men and kill them. Then the part that capped it off for me was, "Ellie. Tell them Ellie is the name of the little girl who broke your fucking finger!" She has really grown on me and I'm fearing that my journey is reaching its climax. :(

The only thing which ruined this game is the horrible low buffer like every ND game, it's the tragedy of the ps3 hardware. Jaggies are really disgusting in different situations.

Imagine the possibilities on next gen. There's literally nothing to stop ND from achieving graphical heaven.

Top Bottom