• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Gadirok

So after Boston (or wherever the bridge was) I had some fun running around on the beach for 20 minutes looking at my footprints and messing with those tiny sea crabs.

Amazing what they did with this technically. Those little things like the stream and the waves hitting the boulders looked more realistic than anything I've seen this gen on PS3, and breathtaking too.

oatmeal

Banned
Naughty Dog are masters of player gates! I swear they come up with the most creative ways to keep a player from back tracking and keeping load times down. Sometimes it is as simply as jumping down from a ledge that you couldn't hope to climb back up, or some debris falls and blocks the path back, or a pack of infected are gnawing at a door, or like the door/cart scenario above. They are awesome devs lol

Minamu

After two sittings I'm hardly finished by a long shot but I couldn't help noticing that the loading in the beginning is REALLY long. Or is it just me? A percentage counter is kinda jarring too, it looks almost like I'm in some sort of debug mode or something (unless there's some kind of Assassin's Creed twist going on but I doubt it).

Superflat

After two sittings I'm hardly finished by a long shot but I couldn't help noticing that the loading in the beginning is REALLY long. Or is it just me? A percentage counter is kinda jarring too, it looks almost like I'm in some sort of debug mode or something (unless there's some kind of Assassin's Creed twist going on but I doubt it).

The initial loading screen does take really long if you're playing off a disc (I hear it's not an issue if you're playing the downloaded version). It's comparable to loading times in UC2 and UC3. It's very front-loaded but in exchange you could basically finish the campaign in one sitting without seeing a single additional load screen.

antitrop

The initial loading screen does take really long if you're playing off a disc (I hear it's not an issue if you're playing the downloaded version). It's comparable to loading times in UC2 and UC3. It's very front-loaded but in exchange you could basically finish the campaign in one sitting without seeing a single additional load screen.
Ya, it really is a "grab my iPhone and start reading GAF" kind of loading screen.

Fjordson

Finished up fall. Pretty good, didn't drag like summer. Ending was fucking intense. And winter. Wow. Very cool section so far.

Has Naughty Dog ever made a horror game before? Maybe this is just because I usually avoid horror games, but ND is surprisingly good at scaring the hell out of me.

Crateman

I just started Winter. How far am I into the game? I am wondering whether I should finish the rest of the game tomorrow in one sitting.

Has Naughty Dog ever made a horror game before? Maybe this is just because I usually avoid horror games, but ND is surprisingly good at scaring the hell out of me.

They've never made anything even similar to this, unless you want to count the monsters in the Uncharted games. They're mostly just known for very lighthearted or goofy games like Crash, Jak and Uncharted. I think that's why some were questioning whether or not they could pull something like this off.

ZeroRay

Just started Spring.
Inside the tunnel with all the infected.

16.5 hours through. Don't want it to end but I hope I have at least 2 hours left.

ShogunX

Soooooo what the fuck is going on with the AI in this game? I've been told all about the clickers and how they have great hearing yet the AI is running around changing position pretty much in touching distance of them and other infected. It's seriously some of the most immersion breaking stuff I've seen for a long time.

Same kind of deal when fleeing a certain section and the AI is standing still in the full beam of a flashlight *BUT NOBODY CAN SEE THEM*. Come on now.

Sounds quite sad but this frequently happening is actually directly impacting my enjoyment and what has otherwise been an amazing game.

KorrZ

Soooooo what the fuck is going on with the AI in this game? I've been told all about the clickers and how they have great hearing yet the AI is running around changing position pretty much in touching distance of them and other infected. It's seriously some of the most immersion breaking stuff I've seen for a long time.

Same kind of deal when fleeing a certain section and the AI is standing still in the full beam of a flashlight *BUT NOBODY CAN SEE THEM*. Come on now.

Sounds quite sad but this frequently happening is actually directly impacting my enjoyment and what has otherwise been an amazing game.

Would you rather the AI constantly be blowing your stealth and causing you to be detected? Sure it looks somewhat goofy but the alternative is absolute frustration.

ShogunX

Would you rather the AI constantly be blowing your stealth and causing you to be detected? Sure it looks somewhat goofy but the alternative is absolute frustration.

I'd rather a different solution was used. Either keep the AI out of my way like they do in certain sections or let me tell them where to hide/when to move and if they are discovered then so be it.

Having them fumble their way around cover, bumping into enemies that dont react whilst I'm trying to stealth kill them is possibly the worst solution ever. I'm sure it's something that can easily be looked over but I dont want to be eye rolling in every encounter.

insin

Neo Member
I'd rather a different solution was used. Either keep the AI out of my way like they do in certain sections or let me tell them where to hide/when to move and if they are discovered then so be it.

Having them fumble their way around cover, bumping into enemies that dont react whilst I'm trying to stealth kill them is possibly the worst solution ever. I'm sure it's something that can easily be looked over but I dont want to be eye rolling in every encounter.
My favourite instance of this was Ellie getting stuck behind 2 hunters who were coming down a set of stairs, hustling to try to get past one of them, clomping her feet. It was like a listen mode version of that Penny Arcade comic. When I stealth killed one of them, his buddy teleported back to his starting position. Warping in new waves of enemies is another annoyance. as you can't see which way ahead is safe to approach until they appear.

Gotta be completely honest. I'm an hour or so in this game and I simply don't dig it.

It seems way to scripted. The way I can describe my experience is like a 3rd person adventure game on rails.

I played and like the uncharted series, and I knew exactly what to expect here. Heavily story driven but it's too slow paced for me.

I understand I'm extremely early in the game but Its simply not doing it for me.

I'm reminded of something like the walking dead and Id rather sit back and watch that than go through heavily scripted animations right now.

What kind of games do you usually play and are into??

Donos

Why is the damn autosave still bugged sometimes. That is really frustrating. Even some of my manual saves dissapearerd.

jediyoshi

Gotta be completely honest. I'm an hour or so in this game and I simply don't dig it.

It seems way to scripted. The way I can describe my experience is like a 3rd person adventure game on rails.

I played and like the uncharted series, and I knew exactly what to expect here. Heavily story driven but it's too slow paced for me.

I understand I'm extremely early in the game but Its simply not doing it for me.

I'm reminded of something like the walking dead and Id rather sit back and watch that than go through heavily scripted animations right now.

I'm on my third play through and still running into main line dialogue I haven't heard before. By the nature of a lot of the events you are going to be opting out of a lot of content one way or another, there's less railing than the first hour would let on.

So how real is the "TLoU kills old PS3s" problem? I was going to grab this from redbox and spend the weekend playing, but all the stories of PS3s overheating and dying while running the game has scared me off a little. :lol

Finally finished the game after 21 hours and my fat 60GB PS3 that i bought like 4 weeks ago purred like a cat the whole time. No problems at all during my playthrough. No overheating, no fan going crazy no nothing. Pretty proud of that fat bastard.

Superflat

Just finished the
sniper section
on Survivor Mode.

Fuck that level, lol. I was already one hit away from dead when I was trapped in that section =_=

Most consecutive deaths in a row so far...
soon to be replaced with the "Ellie vs Bloater+every infected" section in winter.

edit: Oh, and as an update to my bullet count in Survivor Mode where I boasted that I only fired a gun about ten times up to the
sewers-- By the time I got out of the sewers
I spent about half of everything I had. By the end of the
sniper section
, even less.

Need to go back to stingy mindset.

Coen

I need some advice. I started this game on the hardest difficulty, thinking if I could handle Uncharted, I could handle this as well. I'm at the
sewers part, right after escaping Pittsburgh
and I'm starting to regret my choice. I don't mind a challenge, but here I am, stuck with
henry
and I have barely any bullets and rooms full of clickers ahead of me. It's been that way for a couple of hours now, mostly since
arriving in Pittsburgh
and I feel it's dampening my enjoyment of the game. So I was wondering, is changing the difficulty a good idea and what will change exactly if I do?

Superflat

I need some advice. I started this game on the hardest difficulty, thinking if I could handle Uncharted, I could handle this as well. I'm at the
and I'm starting to regret my choice. I don't mind a challenge, but here I am, stuck with
henry
and I have barely any bullets and rooms full of clickers ahead of me. It's been that way for a couple of hours now, mostly since
arriving in Pittsburgh
and I feel it's dampening my enjoyment of the game. So I was wondering, is changing the difficulty a good idea and what will change exactly if I do?

Man, I feel ya. This kind of difficulty is pretty different from Uncharted, lol.

Without bullets as back-up, that section could be ultra trial and error.

You will take less damage and more raw materials will be available (if you open a drawer, stuff could ACTUALLY be in there!) on a lower difficulty, so if you change it to easy or normal, you might get by charging in and melee-ing all the infected after taking out the clickers with the few bullets you have since you won't take as much damage.

Dany

Banned
Can I Go back to a mission and collect the missing toolbox and then go back to my NG+ and it will there? I forgot the last one i think

Just got to Fall.
That whole thing with Henry and Sam, that didn't work out so well, huh.I absolutely loved the escape from Pittsburgh sequence, it was just expertly paced - from Henry ditching you to deal with the Hunter truck, to the sewers, and following the story of Ish and the family of survivors. And then that sniper sequence- this game just doesn't let up.

Also, could someone let me know, roughly, how far through the game I am?
I stopped playing last night right after bandits attack the hydro power plant

henry
arriving in Pittsburgh
I just beat this area on Survivor. I killed the clickers first, then took out a few the other infected and ran. When I got to the area where you to boost up and wait for the ladder, I used a Molotov to block the hallway and buy some time

hal9001

Banned
Just got to Fall.
That whole thing with Henry and Sam, that didn't work out so well, huh.I absolutely loved the escape from Pittsburgh sequence, it was just expertly paced - from Henry ditching you to deal with the Hunter truck, to the sewers, and following the story of Ish and the family of survivors. And then that sniper sequence- this game just doesn't let up.

Also, could someone let me know, roughly, how far through the game I am?
I stopped playing last night right after bandits attack the hydro power plant

Around
60%
I would say, check your save file it should give you your exact percentage anyway.

Did anyone else not use listening mode for their first playtnrough? I died a lot because of it, but made the game more fun.

I turned that off right away from the start, never used it, even when I finally tried multiplayer, it never occurred to me that I can use it from time to time. lol

I really can't imagine playing it with listen mode, even when I plan to play easy/normal mode later for completion playthrough, I don't think I'll ever use it.

Playing on hard I also turned off listening mode by the time I got into Pittsburgh. Playing on hard as well, the combo presents a really nice challenge.

Did anyone else not use listening mode for their first playtnrough? I died a lot because of it, but made the game more fun.

Same here. I turned it off before starting the game just to eliminate any temptation to use it during a challenging portion of the game. I remember some people fearing that it was one of those games that was designed around using it, but after completing it I think that it's clear that it was purely put in there just to help those out who were having a hard time. The game certainly wasn't designed around the feature though.

blackflag

Jesus Christ I guess I'm not supposed to play this game. If I have it update to 1.02 it crashes my PS3.

If I cancel update instead, it never loads the game and crashes when I eject the disk.

Paganmoon

Jesus Christ I guess I'm not supposed to play this game. If I have it update to 1.02 it crashes my PS3.

If I cancel update instead, it never loads the game and crashes when I eject the disk.

Same if you sign out of PSN before you start the game, or alternatively unplug the network cable?

WOW. Winter is so damn beautiful and peaceful.

Almost done with the game. I just
stabbed that one dude three times and I was already transported to Joel running through the thick snow. I really hope Joel doesn't die. He's awesome. :(

For those just starting, the first few hours is more like a tuturial. Hang on. The game gets infinitely better and the graphics and art mindblowing.

Spacebar

I beat this the other night and here are my impressions. I played normal with listen mode off.

Gameplay
I haven't really played a game that had this much tension since maybe RE1/RE2. I felt like almost every encounter I was scrapping for my life. The use of stealth, close combat, and shooting all mixed together was amazing. I had soo many options to take out the enemies and the level design was so diverse I didn't know where the hell guys where coming from.
A lot of times I would try to take every guy/clicker out so I could explore the area freely, but this came at the cost of using a lot of ammo. I would try and find a spot where I could stand my ground and not have clickers/guys flank me. Other times I would go around a get a few stealth kills before engaging and setting off the clickers. Sometimes I even just said fuck it and ran for my life.
The part where you turn on the generator and need to get to the door with the key card I just ran from the bloater and other clickers
I did have a few times where the game autosaved with me having very minimal life. I died a bunch but I eventually got passed it.

The weapons in this game were fantastic and you pretty much have to use all of them. Once I upgraded the weapon sway it was pretty easy to shoot guys from almost any distance. The upgrading was fun as well. I felt like you were always finding stuff and couldn't wait to find the upgrade station.

The only thing that was annoying was when your AI counterparts were running around with you. They scared the shit out of me a few times because I heard footsteps behind me and I turned around getting me flustered. I already knew that the clickers wouldn't notice them which is fine, but sometimes they did get in my way when trying to fight.

Story
While I didn't think the story as a whole was amazing, but it was how they told that made it so good. The cut scenes and acting were some of the best if not the best I've ever seen in a game. However, it was the story telling during the game play that really bonded me with the characters.
The small things like when you give Ellie a high five and when Joel asks her to come get the ladder when she is sitting on the bench
all add to dat emotion. All of the environment details really added a whole new level to the story as well. Reading the artifacts you find gives you a real sense of how it was like living in that world.

Graphics
I don't need to spend that much time here, but the graphics were amazing! Sometimes I was like "Is this real life" while watching some of the cut scenes. During the game the attention to detail was incredible. One of the reasons I tried to clear out areas is because I just wanted to walk around and check out all the details. Even when the game was pushing me along I was going off the path to see what I could find. This game has so much detail my contacts started to dry out a few times from staring so much. I loved the art in this game so much I ordered the art book from amazon last week. I had to hold myself back from looking at it until I beat to avoid spoilers.

Overall
I will probably say that this is one of the best if not the best game I've played this generation. I've always enjoyed story driven games the most so I'm partial to these kind of experiences. I loved uncharted 1,2 and 3, but The Last of Us surpasses those games in almost every way. It's an amazing feeling to be hype for a game pre launch and it actually surpasses your expectations when the bar is already at maximum hype level. Very few games do this and sometimes I read too many Gaf threads about certain games. Then I tend get disappointed when the game comes out and play it, but The Last of Us was amazing from start to finish. Great job Naughty Dog!

Joeki11a

Banned
Why people say the AI doesnt come from off camera to scare you and grab you?

It happened to me all the time, I like it I was sneaking in through up the stairs and from the left side off screen comes a guy "What yuuuuuGot!", great tension awesome feeling.

ShogunX

My favourite instance of this was Ellie getting stuck behind 2 hunters who were coming down a set of stairs, hustling to try to get past one of them, clomping her feet. It was like a listen mode version of that Penny Arcade comic. When I stealth killed one of them, his buddy teleported back to his starting position. Warping in new waves of enemies is another annoyance. as you can't see which way ahead is safe to approach until they appear.

Seems like the game gets a bit of a free pass regarding the AI problem. It's a shame that something so simple is going to lessen the experience of playing the game but I'm sure I will get over it.

aristotle

Seems like the game gets a bit of a free pass regarding the AI problem. It's a shame that something so simple is going to lessen the experience of playing the game but I'm sure I will get over it.

You should. I don't want RTS elements anywhere near games like this. Bleh.

Top Bottom