• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Before the game came out, I would not have thought Joel and Eliie would be so popular but all this cosplay and drawings of them proves me wrong,

Neiteio

I would buy a PS4 version of this game. Same assets and everything -- just bump it to 1080p 60 FPS with abundant AA. Throw in all of the DLC and the 90-minute documentary, and BAM.

Seriously, when the inevitable GOTY edition comes around, I hope it has two SKUs: PS3, and PS4.

omonimo

Banned
I would buy a PS4 version of this game. Same assets and everything -- just bump it to 1080p 60 FPS with abundant AA. Throw in all of the DLC and the 90-minute documentary, and BAM.

Seriously, when the inevitable GOTY edition comes around, I hope it has two SKUs: PS3, and PS4.

& real time cutscene. I would buy it at full price.

Superflat

Hmmm
maybe they'll release a ps4 version when it's about time the sequel comes out?

zethren

Banned
The Last of Us makes Uncharted 2 look like game from an inferior developer. That's my subjective opinion.

Yep I agree.

TLOU is like big boy Uncharted. I don't know what happened at Naughty Dog between Uncharted and TLOU, but I don't think I've ever been this impressed by such a jump in quality from one game to another by one developer. Uncharted is a campy Indiana Jones romp. TLOU is actually important.

Yep I agree.

TLOU is like big boy Uncharted. I don't know what happened at Naughty Dog between Uncharted and TLOU, but I don't think I've ever been this impressed by such a jump in quality from one game to another by one developer. Uncharted is a campy Indiana Jones romp. TLOU is actually important.

Just started replaying uncharted 1, and I love this game, but the differences are VAST and it's crazy how much better TLOU is in comparison.

Gadirok

And I finished my hard playthrough. Great game.

Remember when I said I got spoiled a long time ago before the game came out? Turns out I read fake spoilers and was completely wrong. lol. Ending totally surprised me. Walked out confused though...

I think I would have preferred the fake spoiler ending I read...

So I began Survivor +. I thought I got to keep my gear? What gives? No Flamethrower from the beginning sucks, but I honestly knew it was too good to be true. When I heard New Game + I immediately thought of Ratchet and Clank Challenge mode. I think it lets you keep the upgrades of all the guns but you have to slowly go back to unlocking everything.

And BAM, I could go well with no listening mode ( I had listening mode available on my hard playthrough but used it very rarely) but the fact that I no longer have the melee prompts catches me off guard as I ran into some guys when sneaking up on them. Knowing I will just spam triangle when I crouch up to them. I would have preferred the melee prompts on though to be honest. Its either the Triangle for the sneak up or square for hammering out of a situation so thats why I left it on in the first place. For reassurance.

What I have noticed so far for Survivor is how hard it actually is compared to hard difficulty. I think hard difficulty just should have been called easy compared to this. I think 2-3 pistol shots can take you out in Survivor. Nothing like that happened to me on hard, but I was playing more carefully though. I've had quite a few surprises on survivor so far that caught me off guard. I'll probably go for stealth more like last time. Its too much of a risk confronting someone else with a gun when a few shots can kill you.

Scotch

I started playing Fall about 7 hours ago and just finished the game. The game just got stronger and stronger through the last acts, I couldn't stop.

What a masterpiece. Apart from a few little niggles (like Ellie running in front of enemies and them not noticing) it was pretty much my perfect game. I dare say it is my game of the generation.

The way that stealth gameplay seemlessly transitions into combat was fantastic, and I found myself replaying encounters over and over again until I felt I got them 'right'. And the characters... rarely have I connected with characters in a videogame as much as here. The (voice)acting for Joel and Ellie was outstanding. Graphics and design were stunning as expected from Naughty Dog; frequently I found myself standing still just admiring the world.
the giraffes :eek:
Great soundtrack as well, very fitting and effective.

What a treat this game was. Can't wait to replay.

Alpha_eX

Really getting annoyed with this game and it's sloopy stealth sections, why can't I hug walls easily or peer around corners? It's almost like they didn't design any additional controls for stealth.

I'm hiding behind a door, guy walks in but I can't grab him? Only option is to hammer square till he's dead. That works, just took out an armed guard but wait, why can't I collect his gun, that'd sure be useful.

I stopped playing when this happened.

https://vine.co/v/haiaEBTqawd

Do I need a ladder, plank or large pullable box to get through like all the other puzzles in this game?

gribbles

Banned
I'm hiding behind a door, guy walks in but I can't grab him?

Um.... yes you can. I did it plenty of times when I played. Just hide right next to the doorway and then mash triangle as the dude walks through the doorway. Simple.

why can't I collect his gun, that'd sure be useful.

depending on your difficulty, the game drops less ammo.

I stopped playing when this happened.

https://vine.co/v/haiaEBTqawd

looks like u encountered a bug. did u try reloading?

Yep I agree.

It's going to be fun to see how they follow this up. There's going to be a lot of expectations for their next game. It's not only going to bring the expectations that come with being a next-gen game, but it's also going to be the one that follows TLoU. I'm starting to get the feeling that they're actually working on another new IP, so it'll be another clean slate for them to do whatever they want.

I wouldn't mind seeing Amy launch another new IP for them. Perhaps one where she's able to put in some deeper lore like we saw with her LoK work.

Alpha_eX

Seems there are only two types of puzzle in this game, short walls that need a ladder or to find a big box on wheels or a gap that is easily jumpable though we need to find a plank of wood.

The puzzle design feels really lazy, laughable that the characters can't just jump and almost pointless because the planks or ladders are right next to the obstacle.

Do the puzzles get better?

baekshi

Banned
Seems there are only two types of puzzle in this game, short walls that need a ladder or to find a big box on wheels or a gap that is easily jumpable though we need to find a plank of wood.

The puzzle design feels really lazy, laughable that the characters can't just jump and almost pointless because the planks or ladders are right next to the obstacle.

These were puzzles?
I didn't know.

Neiteio

There will be permutations of the ladder/plank/pallet/dumpster/generator combo, including some subtle inversions of the formula that may surprise you, but they're never meant to be taxing puzzles. They serve as more of a light gameplay loop to justify environmental traversal, alongside scouring for supplies, crafting and upgrading, light character banter and cobbling together side stories via the notes you find. "Connective tissue" in-between the "sinews" of encounters, if you would.

Cloudy

Banned
I finished this game 3 days ago yet I think about it constantly. About the plot, about what I'd want in a sequel, about the songs, about how I'd have liked a few more set pieces in it (ala Uncharted) etc.

No game has left this kind of impression on me since FFX

iNvid02

]I finished this game 3 days ago yet I think about it constantly. About the plot, about what I'd want in a sequel, about the songs, about how I'd have liked a few more set pieces in it (ala Uncharted) etc.[/B]

yeah this happened to me. seeing tlou threads on gaf and in my subscriptions every time i came here ensured it stayed there.

i just really want the dlc, like now

A little over 5 hours in.(34%) Just got the
nail bombs
. holy shit this is amazing.
Its 4:20 in the morning here in germany... I have to stop now.

Dennis

Banned
A little over 5 hours in.(34%) Just got the *bleep*. holy shit this is amazing.
Its 4:20 in the morning here in germany... I have to stop now.

That is funny because I am also exactly 34% in but my playtime is.........13 hours.

And I also really have to go to bed. OMG its like we are long lost brothers! Except for the part where you rush through games.

Survivor woes

Stuck on the part right before escaping the sewers where you need to hold out with Henry. There is just no way I can take out this many infected with the supplies I have left. I have 3 shorty rounds, 5 pistol, 1 revolver, a smoke bomb, 1 shiv, a brick, and a Molotov. I may have to restart the chapter if no one has any useful advice. Oh, did I mention that I have like two bars of health left?

N2NOther

Banned
Beat it on Survivor +. If you do the "cheat" for it, but starting on Normal plus and then switching after the prologue you definitely get the trophy upon completion (in case there was any questions about that and if it was already answered - sorry).

I forgot to look at my stats but I know I died WAAAAY less in Survivor than in Normal. But damn it was intense.

Survivor mode totally changed my opinion on the abundance of resources and definitely made the whole package of story, world-buidling and gameplay mechanics mesh perfectly. Too bad you have to unlock Survivor.

N2NOther

Banned
Survivor woes

Stuck on the part right before escaping the sewers where you need to hold out with Henry. There is just no way I can take out this many infected with the supplies I have left. I have 3 shorty rounds, 5 pistol, 1 revolver, a smoke bomb, 1 shiv, a brick, and a Molotov. I may have to restart the chapter if no one has any useful advice. Oh, did I mention that I have like two bars of health left?

Dude. If you're talking about the part with the
Stalkers running around
, I think I was in way worse shape. I may have had a bit more health but once I ran out of bullets I just punched them all to death.

Scrabble

Survivor woes

you don't need to fend the infected off until there all gone. Just hold out for like 20+ seconds or so and go out the door.

elcapitan

Yep I agree.

Like Spielberg!

That is funny because I am also exactly 34% in but my playtime is.........13 hours.

And I also really have to go to bed. OMG its like we are long lost brothers! Except for the part where you rush through games.

Haha, i`m at 48% and 20 hours (i kill everyone to explore every area freely; i only rushed that generator section).

Wooot?! What are you doing? I am pretty much investigating every little corner...
But I'm playing on easy.

jdl

Banned
About 5 hours in, I'm partially through the hotel. Wondering when this gets as amazing as everyone claims it to be.

sense

man, what an amazing game/experience. love the ending and winter was just brutal !

on a side note i cannot wait to hear what the sales have been for the title. i hear it has been selling out in a lot places. on amazon uk it is the best selling title in 2013 overtaking tomb raider plus on amazon US it is just behind black ops 2. I really hope it sells really well so more new ips are green lit.

About 5 hours in, I'm partially through the hotel. Wondering when this gets as amazing as everyone claims it to be.

it is a long journey my friend. if you get past winter and still have that same feeling then i will be surprised. it is deliberately slow in the beginning imo just to set you up and the characters for the long haul.

jdl

Banned
it is a long journey my friend. if you get past winter and still have that same feeling then i will be surprised. it is deliberately slow in the beginning imo just to set you up and the characters for the long haul.

we'll see. I enjoy the visuals and acting so far. that's about it. shooting is weirdly gta4-esque. and i don't see ladders and planks becoming entertaining anytime soon.

onken

Awesome game, great length, only felt like Uncharted a couple of times. The puzzle mechanics felt kinda samey (oo some water, let's play find the pallet!) but apart from that it was great. Going through all the documents and learning more about the world was really interesting.

Beat it on survivor. Props to ND for making it hard but not extremely frustrating like Uncharteds' crushing mode.

Yeah just finished my Hard playthrough, I had tons of
magnum and flamethrower
ammo left and basically a full inventory of items - I expect it's stretched a bit thinner on Survivor (though as long as I can kill a clicker with a brick it's all good).

~e though having said that I really don't feel like playing it again any time soon. One playthrough feels pretty perfect.

Neiteio

we'll see. I enjoy the visuals and acting so far. that's about it. shooting is weirdly gta4-esque. and i don't see ladders and planks becoming entertaining anytime soon.
The shooting is nothing like GTAIV. I have no idea where you're coming from with that claim, but I just wanted to have this counter-point out there so no one comes away thinking that's unequivocally true. In fact, I'd say this game's controls and mechanics are superior to GTAIV in every way (comparing the mechanics they share). It's hard to even walk in a straight line in GTAIV, because Niko is so over-animated, but in TLoU the player character is animated just right, even the shifts in walking/jogging/running speed the game does out in tiered fashion based on how cramped the environment is or what the threat level/intensity is of the current scenario. Very well-done.

jdl

Banned
The shooting is nothing like GTAIV. I have no idea where you're coming from with that claim, but I just wanted to have this counter-point out there so no one comes away thinking that's unequivocally true. In fact, I'd say this game's controls and mechanics are superior to GTAIV in every way (comparing the mechanics they share). It's hard to even walk in a straight line in GTAIV, because Niko is so over-animated, but in TLoU the player character is animated just right, even the shifts in walking/jogging/running speed the game does out in tiered fashion based on how cramped the environment is or what the threat level/intensity is of the current scenario. Very well-done.

that's odd. feels very similar to the shooting in gta4 imo. in terms of presentation and feedback.

but to your point, i would agree that the movement control is tighter here. and the animation blending work happening there is neat.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished it last night. I have had many thoughts about the game since. It has affected me deeply, and far more than I even thought it could. It's an astounding game, and an astounding accomplishment. I'll try to compose some thoughts about it later, but I finally very much see the intent behind that "literary" thread posted here, that I avoided due to spoilers. I'll have to revisit that thread now, because my thoughts are very much along those lines. There's metaphors upon metaphors in this game, and if you know a thing or two about Druckmann, they become a bit more visible.

Top Bottom