• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

ShogunX

I'm liking some of the small touches to the environment.

The rain hitting the window and then running down the pane was extremely impressive as were the bubbles formed from the rain when it hit a puddle. I've just got to a part where I'm walking through murky water and the fact that you can interact with the lilly pads, moss and leaves makes me happy.

I'm a sad bastard at times.

So if I just hit winter, how much do I have left? I don't know if I want to really keep playing. It just hasn't grabbed me, but if I'm halfish way through I can just finish it.

Yawnier

Banned
So if I just hit winter, how much do I have left? I don't know if I want to really keep playing. It just hasn't grabbed me, but if I'm halfish way through I can just finish it.

Length Spoilers:
You're about 65 - 70% through, I believe. Last half of the game just breezes by though compared to the first half IMO.

Length Spoilers:
You're about 65 - 70% through, I believe. Last half of the game just breezes by though compared to the first half IMO.

Awesome.

It's not that I don't enjoy it, I think I'm just not in the mood for it right now. I'll finish it up then and hopefully I enjoy it!

It reminds me a lot of Uncharted where Uncharted 1 I was completely indifferent to, but Uncharted 2 was AMAZING to me.

I'm not sure I'll want a TLOU sequel though but for thematic reasons lol.

Yawnier

Banned
Awesome.

It's not that I don't enjoy it, I think I'm just not in the mood for it right now. I'll finish it up then and hopefully I enjoy it!

It reminds me a lot of Uncharted where Uncharted 1 I was completely indifferent to, but Uncharted 2 was AMAZING to me.

I'm not sure I'll want a TLOU sequel though but for thematic reasons lol.

Yep, this was a game I found best in bursts of at the very maximum a 2 - 3 hours at a time.

Finished the game today....

Just wanted to say this is the best game I have ever played. About to read the polygon review to see how the possibly could give this a 7.5

mcfrank

Finished the game today....

Just wanted to say this if the best game I have ever played. About to read the polygon review to see how the possibly could give this a 7.5

All of their criticisms are valid, but they just way over focused on them to come up with that score. A couple of AI glitches and a few too many shooting sections = 7.5 apparently.

Just finished it.

This game is too much. My expectations were blown away and I wish I could go through it again with fresh eyes.

Naughty Gods indeed.

raindoc

There were too many shooting sequences if you couldn't sneak around properly.

i even feel like the clicker parts are too easy to sneak through, on survivor.

Just finished it.

This game is too much. My expectations were blown away and I wish I could go through it again with fresh eyes.

Naughty Gods indeed.

what difficulty did you play it on? because after beating it on normal, survivor difficulty felt like a new, even deeper experience to me. enjoyed that playthrough even more than the first.

The high level of animations do make the little things stand out, like how for no real reason why Joel doesn't have any animation to turn on his light when he has animations for tons of other mundane things. Also when he's crouching, the light is naturally facing down, yet you can aim it all around lol.

It's something you can't unsee :)

DigiMish

So I'm replaying the game, and damn - there's very many parts in the game where if you stand in a specific spot and turn the camera to a specific angle, the game just straight up unloads level geometry.

I only noticed like 2 instances during my first playthrough, but going more slowly and methodically now is exposing this issue left and right.

I remember there was a part like that in UC3 as well. Guess this game is really pushing the PS3...

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like Hard mode should have been Normal. Then put in Easy and Very Easy or something. The Hard difficulty isn't something that most people couldn't get through and it is a much better experience. It should have been the default difficulty and anyone who had trouble would have the option of lowering it.

RyanDG

Almost done with my survivor play through. I almost wish I experienced this game with survivor difficulty first. It really is a completely different experience. I felt I was swimming in ammo even on hard.

Imm0rt4l

I don't know when the last time I finished a game and immediately felt compelled to play through it over and over again. Definitely worth the purchase. If I had bough Bioshock Infinite on the other hand I may have felt a little buyers remorse, though that was a great game in it's own right. I'm actually really looking forward to playing this on survivor.

rCIZZLE

People in MP need to learn how to revive. It'd be nice if there was some penalty for letting a teammate bleed out right beside you.

I still find Polygon's review is shit/funny. I mean 7.5 for a game that most probably winning the GOTY?

YEAH RIGHT! Looks like Naughty Dog didn't pay them to review the game.....

Neiteio

Just completed my second playthrough, and my appreciation for this game continues to grow. It's rare I feel compelled to make time for multiple playthroughs these days, but man, TLoU deserves it.

Seriously. Pathetic and petty bullshit.

The ironic part there is more blatant vitriol for the game here from posters than in that review.

Just completed my second playthrough, and my appreciation for this game continues to grow. It's rare I feel compelled to make time for multiple playthroughs these days, but man, TLoU deserves it.

Yup. Just finished my survivor plus run.

What's funny is that in two playthroughs (Hard and Survivor) I still couldn't max my weapons and supplements. I might do an easy run just to see how broken the game is at that difficulty and so I can max my stuff.

ZeroRay

Just beat it. Amazing game. This and Metal Gear Rising scratched that itch that I've been looking for in a console game for almost 2 years.

A note about the progress counter; it's heavily lopsided towards the beginning. Once it hits the 50% mark (which is closer to 33% in actuality), it slows down considerably.

My final time was 18:19:23 on Hard with no listen mode.

GolazoDan

I've literally just started winter, does the game... like, spike the difficulty at any point? That was always my issue with the Uncharted games, at least the first two (I hear the third is similar), even on normal difficulty. Because the story's ramping up and I really like it, I don't want that to go hand in hand with the gameplay becoming irritating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've literally just started winter, does the game... like, spike the difficulty at any point? That was always my issue with the Uncharted games, at least the first two (I hear the third is similar), even on normal difficulty. Because the story's ramping up and I really like it, I don't want that to go hand in hand with the gameplay becoming irritating.

I was playing on hard and hit a rough spot really early in Winter. It was fine for me after that.

Vashetti

Banned
Managed to snag the Season Pass for £12 on eBay last night and it was totally legit.

I was happy to pay £16 for it, but £12 just takes the cake.

3 DLC packs and a 90-minute documentary for £12. Not bad at all.

I still find Polygon's review is shit/funny. I mean 7.5 for a game that most probably winning the GOTY?

YEAH RIGHT! Looks like Naughty Dog didn't pay them to review the game.....

I know. It is petty to care about one guys review, but then I played Re Revalations and that website reviewed it better and I just laughed through that game. But people say it was different people that reviewed it... Then whats the point of review scores anyways?

Jobbs

Banned
Playing on hard. Just did the part where you have to get the
key card and turn on the generator. Almsot had a heart attack. Ran like fuck away from the bloater. Was relieved to get through the door and close it behind me.

I'm at 45%. What does the percent mean? Does this mean I'm about half done with the game, or does it mean I've collected about half the shit you can collect?

Y'know what I love? These stealth mechanics. In almost every stealth game I've ever played this exact situation will pop up: I'm slooooowly walking behind some bad guy, just trying to get close enough to activate whatever stealth kill/choke out/hold up move I have, when out of nowhere he flips an instant 180 and spots me and it's all over. The other eventuality is that I get close enough but I'm not lined up perfectly and my context-sensitive stealth kill button doesn't trigger and I have to scoot around trying to make it work.

It feels like Naughty Dog reached into my mind and specifically designed The Last of Us so I'd never get into that situation. The grab'n'choke is omni-directional, so I don't have to line myself up perfectly. There's a short grace period between an enemy spotting you and being ungrabbable, so you don't have to worry about them turning around just before you get there. And, if you're too far away to grab, you always have that auto-aim brick throw to stun them before they can start the alarm. It's the first game where I feel like I can sneak up on a guy and take him out with no doubts in the back of my mind.

Better yet, it just feels more realistic and intuitive. How many games are there where you can actually hide behind a doorway and grab someone as they walk through? Stealth games never let you do that -- they're always so concerned with visibility cones and grab moves that only activate from behind enemies. Of course I should be able to grab someone when I pop out from a hiding spot, but I've just been trained to avoid that situation by so many too-rigid stealth games.

Uncharted has always had such fantastically smooth and simple controls, and this game feels like that same design philosophy transplanted into the survival horror and stealth genres. I really love how it all works in TLOU. Naughty Gods confirmed.

hal9001

Banned
Who is PewDewPie and how does he basically pull off cable tv ratings for his Youtube channel on his Last of Us playthrough? He gets a million views per video. I didn't know Youtube play-throughs were so big.

Huh. Didn't really know that that sub-culture of people who just wanted to watch games existed.

That's 1 million copies ND lost in sales then.

I kid, I kid.

It probably helps the game as much as it hurts it.

Yeah I don't mind people wanting to check the game out to see if they would like to buy it, but its really sad how some people there and in other lets plays prefer to watch games being played by someone else rather than expirence it themselves.

rafaelr

i like to watch how ppl react to certain situations on their playthroughs on youtube, some good times (only after having payed a game myself of course).
i´m on my second playthrough now (survivor this time, first was on normal) and you really have to search every corner for stuff - found lots of things and details i missed before already and also understanding some of the context/side-plots much better this time around.
can´t be said enough that this is just such an amazing game!

Jennipeg

I completed this on normal and i'm undecided about my next playthrough. I can either go normal + to get the collectable trophies, or jump into survivor. I will admit that I'm not that great at this game, normal was was quite easy really but I'm a bit worried Survivor will be too hard. So my question is, if I go into Survivor and decide to give up, will the option for new game + dissappear for normal difficulty?

Top Bottom