• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

rafaelr

Survivor is such a bitch about supplies. I'm now convinced they don;t give you enough craftables to open every shiv door.

I searched every damn corner for pickups. I never crafted a nail bomb the entire game. I never used a shiv on anything but doors. And yet, I run into a door I can't open! Just needed a quarter of blades and never saw any for hours. Argh!

i suspected this before i starting survivor, but i still feel like i´m being trolled by every drawer and cabinet i open (those creaks sound more and more like a diabolical laugh).
i guess i won´t use shivs on clickers and won´t upgrade my melee weapons any time soon.
still, loving it even more than the first time on normal

End game spoiler (over 97%)
Question, is there a peaceful way getting around the surgeon to get to Ellie? I shot him in the foot but the pain was to much for him so he died :lol
Well the surgeon had it coming. He knows better than to point a knife at a clearly unstable man armed with a shotgun.

Showaddy

Just finished it on hard. Really glad i didn't use listening mode. That made alot of situations way more tense. Just listening for sounds and staying on spots for a minute to be sure that there isn't someone around gave the game more of a survival feel. Surround sound is really nice with this game

. End game spoiler (over 97%)
the last infected area with bunch of runners, clickers and bloaters was so tense. First tried to just run through but the bloaters always made me a new jaw. then i just sneak around and just killed the three runners in the side tunnel. Hoped fo a scene where Joel returns to his brother.

Question, is there a peaceful way getting around the surgeon to get to Ellie? I shot him in the foot but the pain was to much for him so he died :lol

Nope the Surgeon has to bite it. Hell if you melee him Joel stabs the guy to death with his own scalpel, I think ND wanted to make a point lol

Joeku

If you can, you have to
get over to the right side. I had one sliver of health, and I was able to make it by dashing across. Though, I had to time it right, and it took a couple tries. But the houses on the right side allow a much better approach, and they have collectables. Once you make it over to the right, the sniper becomes an afterthought. He can't hit you anymore over there. It's just about isolating and killing the guys. Be careful though, entering some houses spawns a dude upstairs. Good thing you have the brick.That arrow, if used well, will probably net you some ammo.
Did this. Got through to the second house and three more guys were hanging out in front of where the sniper is. With the rounds I picked up from the five-man melee behind the first house I took one out and injured another. Now I'm holed up with a brick, a smoke bomb, and a save from six minutes ago. Here we go.

Donos

i suspected this before i starting survivor, but i still feel like i´m being trolled by every drawer and cabinet i open (those creaks sound more and more like a diabolical laugh).
i guess i won´t use shivs on clickers and won´t upgrade my melee weapons any time soon.
still, loving it even more than the first time on normal

Never upgraded a melee weapon. Is it really worth? I won't touch survivor anytime soon. Even one hard there were times where i had 1 or 2 bullets in every gun. Everytime a shot missed its target i was "noooo". Weapon Spoiler i guess:
i even searched one missed long distance arrow for 5 minutes before giving up. Don't think it broke,

the last infected area with bunch of runners, clickers and bloaters was so tense. First tried to just run through but the bloaters always made me a new jaw. then i just sneak around and just killed the three runners in the side tunnel. Hoped fo a scene where Joel returns to his brother.

You're so much kinder than me, I just went in there guns blazing with the assault rifle and shot all three doctors no questions asked.

Wasp

Believe it or not but there wasn't a single enemy at all in that entire section for me. Best glitch ever.

Although I doubt I will be so lucky in my Survivor playthrough.

Donos

You're so much kinder than me, I just went in there guns blazing with the assault rifle and shot all three doctors no questions asked.

haha
the other male doctor was the smartest. The woman yelled and shouted at Joel after i shot hero surgeon but the other one said that she just should shut up. He saw Joel's mad eyes and choose to live.

I'm off to the spoiler thread. Great game overall. Little details here and there are missing or not finished/polished but there are a ton of other little things they implemented which round TLOU up to a fantastic game.

Moxx19

Banned
Just got done with my Survivor playthrough. That makes it my third playthrough of the game so far. I think I need to give it a rest now, that was absolutely exhausting.

How come
everyone is having such a difficult time with the last infected section (in the flooded tunnel)? I did that entire section in one take. Sneaked past the first smaller section into the maintenance room. Inside the room in the corridor with 3 or 4 infected, planted a nailbomb near where the corridor starts and had a molotov ready. Alerted them with a brick and they all ran to their doom. I think I threw the molotov to finish off the stragglers. Then in the second section with 2 bloaters, clickers and lesser infected, I had two more nailbombs and one molotov. Alerted everyone to a singular spot with a brick, and threw a nailbomb there and kaboom. 2nd nailbomb to make sure bloaters went down. Molotov ready for straggers.

I had THE CRAZIEST difficulty in getting past the infected section with Sam.
I guess I am more adept in locations with smaller enclosures than open ended locations with lots of openings and ways.

Will you people please stop characterizing stuff that happens in the story even if it's unspecific? If you want to make commentary or reaction to the story, especially the end, then take it to the freaking spoiler thread. There's a place for that.

Even if you think you're being unspecific, you're still loading up people's expectations in some way and while some people may not mind, others DO mind. Try and contain it.

The chick on weekend confirmed annoyed me by doing the same thing, btw. Unspecific characterization of the ending. It's enough. I've avoided spoiler threads and I avoided the spoiler portion of the podcast, but somehow I have a vague picture of some kind of ending now just from the supposedly non-spoiler places I'm going. And that annoys me.

I do agree with you that people need to watch what they say but the only real way to completely avoid spoilers for something is to go on a media-blackout on anything related to it. I deliberately stayed out of every single video, trailer, preview, review or thread related to this game after I knew I would buy it (2012 E3 demo).

If you (or anyone, not singling you out) can't manage to keep away from this stuff before you've finished the game....then you are passively agreeing to getting somewhat spoiled. In the end, the only person you can control is yourself.

I know this is a ridiculous question but any of you guys play with the Violence Turned Off?

My friend wants to play the game with his son but thinks the previews look to over the top. What does turning Violence off do?

Showaddy

I know this is a ridiculous question but any of you guys play with the Violence Turned Off?

My friend wants to play the game with his son but thinks the previews look to over the top. What does turning Violence off do?

No blood & no blown off heads for a start. I'm pretty sure The violence in the pre-rendered cut-scenes is unchanged though.

haikira

I can't comment about the violence toggle, but what age is his son? The game has some pretty heavy content in it.

Septimius

I do agree with you that people need to watch what they say but the only real way to completely avoid spoilers for something is to go on a media-blackout on anything related to it. I deliberately stayed out of every single video, trailer, preview, review or thread related to this game after I knew I would buy it (2012 E3 demo).

If you (or anyone, not singling you out) can't manage to keep away from this stuff before you've finished the game....then you are passively agreeing to getting somewhat spoiled. In the end, the only person you can control is yourself.

I stayed out of every threat discussing anything even close to TLOU while playing the game, except this thread. It's good to feel connected to others going through the same tense moments you're going through. People know what this thread is about, and should know better than even load people with expectations and insinuations regarding plot points. Sure, most will work our minds the wrong way, but it's still no reason to come into this thread and say vague things about the plot.

It shouldn't be necessary to stay out of this thread, that's why we're adamant about people stopping, rather than saying people have to stay out if they don't want it spoiled.

I'm not an AI programmer, but wouldn't the AI pathfinding problem be fixed if every enemy during stealth sessions had an invisible radius around them which NPCs cannot cross? That would've forced the NPCs to find paths from a relative distance which could seem lot more believable than NPCs crossing paths with enemies in plain sight.

The sheer number of clickers in some areas and how the radius would be around them would lead to dead- and livelocks. You'd see friendly NPCs bouncing back and forth between two enemy invisible radii (that was a strange word to spell), or not being able to move forward because the radius was preventing them too. There's likely an implementation of sorts like this in place, the problem is that you have to be lenient, or you'll run into concurrent entity problems. Imagine two clickers closing in on each other and a friendly NPC being stuck between, and their radii meeting at one point. It'd just imagine the NPC's head exploding from trying to stay way from them.

rafaelr

Never upgraded a melee weapon. Is it really worth?

it´s a one hit melee kill basically (not stealth though i think). on normal you usually have enough material to do it. but on survivor (and i guess on hard as well) you really want to open those shiv doors.

Septimius

it´s a one hit melee kill basically (not stealth though i think). on normal you usually have enough material to do it. but on survivor (and i guess on hard as well) you really want to open those shiv doors.

Having completed the game on hard, no, I have the feeling you can shiv every clicker in the game and still have enough to open shiv-doors. I mean, I constantly ran around with 3 shivs, 3 nail bombs and always full stack of resources on hard.

Vally

Believe it or not but there wasn't a single enemy at all in that entire section for me. Best glitch ever.

Although I doubt I will be so lucky in my Survivor playthrough.

Haha same thing happened to me, glad I'm not the only one. I was expecting some enemies, considering the layout of the area with all the vehicles and things to hide behind, but not a single one appeared.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

With upgrades you can get it up to be a one hit melee kill with three uses. Very handy.

At 42% and 12 hours in so far. I dunno how anyone could spend 50+ hours just looking at stuff, but more power to them, I'm not gonna judge how someone gets the most out of their games. Lord knows I take my time and wander, but man, I don't think I spent 50 hours on the entirety of Fire Emblem. That's some dedicated observing.

This is probably going to sound really ridiculous, but I find after a few straight hours of playing this, the atmosphere gets really oppressive and convincing to the point where I'm feeling oddly appreciative of the world I live in vs this game's world. I think to some extent, after seeing the inside of so many buildings post-Katrina, both helping friends clean up and in work-related inspections, a lot of the little details ND threw into the game's environments really resonate with me. It's a strange feeling.

you know, that moment before and after the
'Fall' title card would have been way more powerful if there wasn't that god awful sniping sequence.

Also I can't help laughing at Joel's new plaid shirt.

Lyonaz

I only unlocked ng+ for the difficulty I finished in our below, and hard and survivor weren't unlocked. I had to finish it in survivor to start a survivor ng+

There is a way around it, when starting new game plus play through the intro and after you need to chapter select and it will let you change difficulty. Or something like that, I never did it.

Link for the method

So collectibles like Firefly Pendants and Notes don't carry over into a New Game+? My new save file only shows 33 collectibles at 9% (I had 105 in my original game), which would only account for the few notes and one pendant I have found plus the skill books and, what, the comic books? So my New Game+ will still be filled with all the collectibles I found the first time, making it even more annoying to find the ones I missed?

Footos22

Haha same thing happened to me, glad I'm not the only one. I was expecting some enemies, considering the layout of the area with all the vehicles and things to hide behind, but not a single one appeared.

On hard there was nothing there for me at all i actually got passed one truck and they said I guess thats all of them.

heard that bit was hard so was quite relived.

Got to that section on survivor plus (my second playthrough), they were all there.got worried i pulled out my flamethrower and roasted every single one without breaking a sweat. an upgraded flamethrower is absolutely game breaking. only takes a tap of the trigger and that's it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I only unlocked ng+ for the difficulty I finished in our below, and hard and survivor weren't unlocked. I had to finish it in survivor to start a survivor ng+

After you beat the game, you can use the chapter select to exploit a loophole and play NG+ in any difficulty of your choosing. Even survivor +.

Damn, I love this game so much, I just might buy the Joel or Ellie Edition. I'm not into buying those limited editions , but this game is just awesome. Do you guys reckon it's worth it?

So me and my brother started playing the game together on this Sanyo HD tv and you guy might recall I popped in this thread saying I was shocked how unimpressive the game looked visually. Well I finally got home to start playing it for myself on a Sharp Aquos that I have and I can't believe how different it looks. It honestly seems like a different game. The textures look sharper, the particles and movement have a nice blur on them and the lighting looks phenomenal in parts. I can't believe what a insane difference there is between the visuals from one tv to the next. I would have never imagined that. The game is visually a constant splendor of art and tech.

It makes me bummed for anyone playing this thing on some ghetto set and thinking the fault is with ND.

Lyonaz

Damn, I love this game so much, I just might buy the Joel or Ellie Edition. I'm not into buying those limited editions , but this game is just awesome. Do you guys reckon it's worth it?

The soundtrack was worth the Ellie Edition. Dunno about buying an extra copy though.

RyanDG

Even after one playthrough - going through survivor still took me around 18 hours. This game really is fairly meaty. There are a handful of encounters though that I think could've been scaled back a bit.

Evolved1

(end of game spoiler)
The close up on Ellie in the last scene of the game is amazing... also, her animation during that short section is the best stuff in the game. And you see it for like 3 mins. It's kind of absurd how much better ND is at animation than the rest of the industry.

DJwest

Holy shit.
That part where you are separated from Ellie when you fall from the elevator and go through the hotel. The tension when you switch on the generator and clickers/runners/bloaters start swarming you in the dark.
. I fucking love this game.

Superflat

Multiplayer trophies are so blah.

Especially the two where you have to complete 12 weeks each with survivor AND fireflies? Since one match = one day, that's 168 multiplayer matches to get both trophies, right? :T

Getting 40 survivors and winning in a match for both modes is fine though.

Might not get all the MP trophies but I'm gonna start a NG++ now and max out weapons as well as get straggling artifacts/shivs doors/etc.

I'm wondering if chapter select from my Normal playthrough will be good enough for the Survivor+ trick. Not sure if I need a fully maxed Joel and inventory first.

Evolved1

Holy shit.
That part where you are separated from Ellis when you fall from.the elevator and go through the hotel. The tension when you switch on the generator and clickers/runners/bloaters start swarming you in the dark.

That was straight up
survival horror. They just out RE'd RE so hard. Limited resources, tension, and weighty combat. Amazing how you don't need tank controls to scare the shit out of people. And scary can still be awesome without turning it into a fucking Gears of Action game.

mokeyjoe

(end of game spoiler)
The close up on Ellie in the last scene of the game is amazing... also, her animation during that short section is the best stuff in the game. And you see it for like 3 mins. It's kind of absurd how much better ND is at animation than the rest of the industry.

The thing I like is the incidental finger and hand movement. So many other games that are otherwise excellent have flappy puppet hands and it's so distracting. LA Noire is one that springs to mind due to all the money they spent on the groundbreaking facial animation during the dialogue sequences and then all the characters had ridiculous prosthetic hands that barely moved.

It's not perfect in TLOU but it's much better than I've seen elsewhere.

Evolved1

The thing I like is the incidental finger and hand movement. So many other games that are otherwise excellent have flappy puppet hands and it's so distracting. LA Noire is one that springs to mind due to all the money they spent on the groundbreaking facial animation during the dialogue sequences and then all the characters had ridiculous prosthetic hands that barely moved.

It's not perfect in TLOU but it's much better than I've seen elsewhere.

With regard to animation in that section,
I'm actually referring to when you're controlling her. The walk and run cycles, all the idle animations blended in... best stuff in the game imo. And you barely get to see it.

mokeyjoe

Holy shit.
That part where you are separated from Ellie when you fall from the elevator and go through the hotel. The tension when you switch on the generator and clickers/runners/bloaters start swarming you in the dark.

Hated that part. I died about 10 times in a row before I realised I could go upstairs. Nearly gave up at that point.

I pretty much sucked at all combat until about half way through.

DJwest

Hated that part. I died about 10 times in a row before I realised I could go upstairs. Nearly gave up at that point.

I pretty much sucked at all combat until about half way through.
lol. I died quite a few times because
I couldn't find the door card
but it really.wasn't difficult. Plus the
molotov+shotgun
combination works so well.

mokeyjoe

With regard to animation in that section,
I'm actually referring to when you're controlling her. The walk and run cycles, all the idle animations blended in... best stuff in the game imo. And you barely get to see it.

I wasn't talking about that scene in particular, just the game in general. Maybe I'll play the game again one day and I'll keep a look out for that scene.

Holy shit.
Scared the living shit out of me on Survivor difficulty.
Enemy spawns are different in it... some safe spots are no longer safe at all and I ended up turning a corner right into a bloater's embrace lol

Holy shit.

The tension during that was almost too much for me. Sweaty controller, "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck", running blindly trying to escape.....man.

Top Bottom