• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Footos22

Almost done with my survivor + playthrough. Never found it hard at all. Actually did way better then my hard playthrough. Its also been a much better experience. Not one glitch or even weird ai. Maybe hard difficulty is just messed up..... Gotg for me. Dark souls a close close second.

beril

Started playing it yesterday; at 30% and not really feeling it so far. Basically feels like walk and talk-the game. I guess it's starting to pick up a bit but in the beginning it was like 80% walking in a linear path to dialog, 10% cutscenes, and 10% actual gameplay

Ovek

7Member7
Started playing it yesterday; at 30% and not really feeling it so far. Basically feels like walk and talk-the game. I guess it's starting to pick up a bit but in the beginning it was like 80% walking in a linear path to dialog, 10% cutscenes, and 10% actual gameplay

Thought the same thing, the beginning part is boring. So boring in fact I was going to trade it in before completing it. I didn't tho and pushed through until the story/game started to pick up then started to enjoy it.

Alpha_eX

we'll see. I enjoy the visuals and acting so far. that's about it. shooting is weirdly gta4-esque. and i don't see ladders and planks becoming entertaining anytime soon.

I'm about the same point and feel exactly the same, everything about this is AAA but the game play. The overuse of ladders and planks is laughable, especially when they're use for jump-able gaps and walls you could jump and pull yourself up.

The disconnect really hurts in such a realistic world. 2 meter gap? Better find a plank.

I'm about the same point and feel exactly the same, everything about this is AAA but the game play. The overuse of ladders and planks is laughable, especially when they're use for jump-able gaps and walls you could jump and pull yourself up.

The disconnect really hurts in such a realistic world. 2 meter gap? Better find a plank.

i think you underestimate how hard the pull up and 2 meter gap jump really is, espeically for an old ass and a midget

Dennis

Banned
I have given up playing during the day.

It needs to be dark outside and in the room to get the right atmosphere and let the graphics look their best.

Jobbs

Banned
Just finished, 12hours

stuff

Will you people please stop characterizing stuff that happens in the story even if it's unspecific? If you want to make commentary or reaction to the story, especially the end, then take it to the freaking spoiler thread. There's a place for that.

Even if you think you're being unspecific, you're still loading up people's expectations in some way and while some people may not mind, others DO mind. Try and contain it.

The chick on weekend confirmed annoyed me by doing the same thing, btw. Unspecific characterization of the ending. It's enough. I've avoided spoiler threads and I avoided the spoiler portion of the podcast, but somehow I have a vague picture of some kind of ending now just from the supposedly non-spoiler places I'm going. And that annoys me.

R7uP48Z.jpg

So true. :D

Septimius

There are no 2 meter gaps in the game. Also, yeah, when there's a plank nearby, why not use it and not risk dying from a silly fall?

Will you people please stop characterizing stuff that happens in the story even if it's unspecific? If you want to make commentary or reaction to the story, especially the end, then take it to the freaking spoiler thread. There's a place for that.

Even if you think you're being unspecific, you're still loading up people's expectations in some way and while some people may not mind, others DO mind. Try and contain it.

The chick on weekend confirmed annoyed me by doing the same thing, btw. Unspecific characterization of the ending. It's enough. I've avoided spoiler threads and I avoided the spoiler portion of the podcast, but somehow I have a vague picture of some kind of ending now just from the supposedly non-spoiler places I'm going. And that annoys me.

I completely agree. Completely.

Cartman86

Banned
I know. It is petty to care about one guys review, but then I played Re Revalations and that website reviewed it better and I just laughed through that game. But people say it was different people that reviewed it... Then whats the point of review scores anyways?

I want to volunteer to be the sole video game reviewer god so every review is objective! No more will worse games get .5 points higher!!!

barrbarr

Just beat the game for the first time. I played on hard, and I was surprised at how well balanced it was. It felt challenging, but at the same time not frustrating. I figured out how to effectively beat the AI early on so that helped. I ended up dying only 24 times, and to be fair most of that was at the very end of the game. I had 70% shot accuracy so I guess that's good. I love how the scarcity of ammo and other items made me play. I only wish that the enemy ai was better during stealth sections. They have like zero peripheral vision.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Molly, playing on Survivor is freaking amazing. If you can play it and don't mind getting frustrated in some places (although I have been doing fine) then I suggest you to play it!

In the case of Amir0x, it would be 5 hours.

Brannon

I feel like Hard mode should have been Normal. Then put in Easy and Very Easy or something. The Hard difficulty isn't something that most people couldn't get through and it is a much better experience.

This is basically the unwritten rule of this generation, and some devs even state it openly (Halo).

Gbraga

Certainly the most "annoying" aspect of the game but in no way hampers the gameplay. I can understand why it's there. Hopefully in PS4 they will be able to fix this and make it more believable.

I can't.

Sure, making them invisible to the enemies I can understand and completely agree with, but did they really have to behave like idiots?

Couldn't they just shut the fuck up and stay behind cover?

All of their criticisms are valid, but they just way over focused on them to come up with that score. A couple of AI glitches and a few too many shooting sections = 7.5 apparently.

I agree. I think they focused way too much on the problems they had with the game, but all of their criticism is valid, they raised good points that most people who loved the game also disliked and the other reviewers were too busy claiming "GAMING'S CITIZEN KANE" to mention.

Septimius

I can't.

Sure, making them invisible to the enemies I can understand and completely agree with, but did they really have to behave like idiots?

Couldn't they just shut the fuck up and stay behind cover?

They have to move when you move. And they actually do move when enemies are going to see them. It just goes to show that the AI was pretty well written, and they react to enemies closing in on their position. But imagine them not being visible. They would've fucked up all the times they did run past enemies. I think that would've been much more annoying.

Gbraga

They have to move when you move. And they actually do move when enemies are going to see them. It just goes to show that the AI was pretty well written, and they react to enemies closing in on their position. But imagine them not being visible. They would've fucked up all the times they did run past enemies. I think that would've been much more annoying.

As I said, I agree with making them invisible to enemies, my complain is more about immersion, you're in a very tense situation, in a dark room, several clickers and their frightening noises around you, you're behind cover and praying that a clicker won't notice you, you star walking very slowly, then the AI comes running like a mad buffalo making loud ass noises and Ellie starts actually pushing a clicker by running torwards them. This happened to me, and it destroys immersion.

I'm completely ok with them being invisible to enemies, and making enemies kill them on those situations would make the encounters too frustrating, my question is "why not make them shut up and not run like idiots when there are enemies around?"

Septimius

As I said, I agree with making them invisible to enemies, my complain is more about immersion, you're in a very tense situation, in a dark room, several clickers and their frightening noises around you, you're behind cover and praying that a clicker won't notice you, you star walking very slowly, then the AI comes running like a mad buffalo making loud ass noises and Ellie starts actually pushing a clicker by running torwards them. This happened to me, and it destroys immersion.

I'm completely ok with them being invisible to enemies, and making enemies kill them on those situations would make the encounters too frustrating, my question is "why not make them shut up and not run like idiots when there are enemies around?"

Simply because they then would stand completely still for the entire encounter, and you'd be on the other side wondering where the hell they are. Then they're standing back there, because, you see, the problem arises when they try to move. Sometimes they go to a place they assumed was safe, then suddenly it isn't safe and they move. Pathing like this is a very, very taxing thing to firstly program and secondly to compute. Lest someone discovers some clever new ways of doing path-finding algorithms, we'll be pestered with problems like these for a while.

i like to watch how ppl react to certain situations on their playthroughs on youtube, some good times (only after having payed a game myself of course).

Same. After beating games, I tend to go on Youtube and watch certain sections that I really loved to hear other people's reactions. Bioshock Infinite was perfect for this - I can't remember how many times I have watched people's reactions on the ending (it's always hilarious and awesome). xD

Sethos

Banned
Need some help, as I've practically stopped playing because of it. Halfway through the game
in the sewer section, where you get cut off from Ellie and that ... Guy, forgot his name. You then sneak around with his son. The section right after that just annoyed me to no end, where I was spotted through walls and one of them was able to constantly see me.
So I just stopped the game but I want to carry on.

Now I could probably just start again, do the same trial and error over again and might get through but I can already feel it'll just make me bored again. So does anyone have any solid 'tips' or perhaps a YT walkthrough? So I can just get past it. Almost at a point where I want to drop it down from Hard but up until now, Hard has made the game amazing.

Cloudy

Banned
Can't wait to use the bow much more on my 2nd playthrough. I sucked with it when I first found it and never really used it again till the Winter arc. I feel it'd be amazing if I actually did all the upgrades :D

Septimius

Need some help, as I've practically stopped playing because of it. Halfway through the game
in the sewer section, where you get cut off from Ellie and that ... Guy, forgot his name. You then sneak around with his son. The section right after that just annoyed me to no end, where I was spotted through walls and one of them was able to constantly see me.

Now I could probably just start again, do the same trial and error over again and might get through but I can already feel it'll just make me bored again. So does anyone have any solid 'tips' or perhaps a YT walkthrough? So I can just get past it. Almost at a point where I want to drop it down from Hard but up until now, Hard has made the game amazing.

Well, no one should be able to see you through walls. It's a hard area, but these are also hard enemies. They'll spot you easily, and you have to sneak slow to get by unnoticed. The bow might be your friend here. If you do get spotted, just leg it. At one point, you'll probably see the remainder of the encounter running around unsure of where you are. You should be able to take them one by one at that point, and the place you start the encounter should be a safe place to hide from them, to a certain extent.

It's hard, but the main thing is not to try the same thing over and over.

Sethos

Banned
Well, no one should be able to see you through walls. It's a hard area, but these are also hard enemies. They'll spot you easily, and you have to sneak slow to get by unnoticed. The bow might be your friend here. If you do get spotted, just leg it. At one point, you'll probably see the remainder of the encounter running around unsure of where you are. You should be able to take them one by one at that point, and the place you start the encounter should be a safe place to hide from them, to a certain extent.

It's hard, but the main thing is not to try the same thing over and over.

Oh trust me, I do try different stuff. Problem is, it's not exactly full of options and the 'exit' is a wall you need to climb -- So I can't even leg it. I also tried shooting my way through but I simply don't have the resources.

As for the 'seeing through walls' it's a bug quite a few have experienced in this part, just shit just kills it for me instantly.

LegendX48

And I finished my hard playthrough. Great game.

Remember when I said I got spoiled a long time ago before the game came out? Turns out I read fake spoilers and was completely wrong. lol. Ending totally surprised me. Walked out confused though...

I think I would have preferred the fake spoiler ending I read...

So I began Survivor +. I thought I got to keep my gear? What gives? No Flamethrower from the beginning sucks, but I honestly knew it was too good to be true. When I heard New Game + I immediately thought of Ratchet and Clank Challenge mode. I think it lets you keep the upgrades of all the guns but you have to slowly go back to unlocking everything.

And BAM, I could go well with no listening mode ( I had listening mode available on my hard playthrough but used it very rarely) but the fact that I no longer have the melee prompts catches me off guard as I ran into some guys when sneaking up on them. Knowing I will just spam triangle when I crouch up to them. I would have preferred the melee prompts on though to be honest. Its either the Triangle for the sneak up or square for hammering out of a situation so thats why I left it on in the first place. For reassurance.

What I have noticed so far for Survivor is how hard it actually is compared to hard difficulty. I think hard difficulty just should have been called easy compared to this. I think 2-3 pistol shots can take you out in Survivor. Nothing like that happened to me on hard, but I was playing more carefully though. I've had quite a few surprises on survivor so far that caught me off guard. I'll probably go for stealth more like last time. Its too much of a risk confronting someone else with a gun when a few shots can kill you.

just wanted to mention one thing about playing on survivor when sneaking Joel actually tenses up once you're in range of grabbing an enemy :p

Septimius

Oh, yeah, I'm trying to figure out if I should play the game again on Survivor or Survivor+. What are the differences? What's the deal with NG+?

Oh trust me, I do try different stuff. Problem is, it's not exactly full of options and the 'exit' is a wall you need to climb -- So I can't even leg it. I also tried shooting my way through but I simply don't have the resources.

I mean, you can run around within the area, not get out of the area. If you run around and then hide, they'll be uncertain of where you are. You have to try and sneak and take down as many as you can, and if things go to shit, try taking down one, running so they don't know where you are, and then taking down another.

Sethos

Banned
I mean, you can run around within the area, not get out of the area. If you run around and then hide, they'll be uncertain of where you are. You have to try and sneak and take down as many as you can, and if things go to shit, try taking down one, running so they don't know where you are, and then taking down another.

Are we even talking about the same section? No way can you just run and hide, they will find you -- There's practically every version of infected in that tiny area. And yes, I know that I need to sneak. I didn't get halfway through the game on hard by blind luck :p However I'm simply not getting through thus I ask for specific tips or YT walkthroughs.

Septimius

Are we even talking about the same section? No way can you just run and hide, they will find you -- There's practically every version of infected in that tiny area. And yes, I know that I need to sneak. I didn't get halfway through the game on hard by blind luck :p However I'm simply not getting through thus I ask for specific tips or YT walkthroughs.

What I did was sneaking around, and I managed to down some of the infected by arrows. When I eventually was spotted, I ran back to the place where the encounter started. Two infected followed me, which I killed, and I stood for about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to move, as I saw about 4 infected running around with no idea where I was. That what I mean by hiding at the start. It's not behind anything, but the paths they run to try and find you do not involve this section.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
i like to watch how ppl react to certain situations on their playthroughs on youtube, some good times (only after having payed a game myself of course).
i´m on my second playthrough now (survivor this time, first was on normal) and you really have to search every corner for stuff - found lots of things and details i missed before already and also understanding some of the context/side-plots much better this time around.
can´t be said enough that this is just such an amazing game!

I feel like I have searched every inch of this game... on hard and then on survival. And somehow after finishing survivor last night, I still lack 20 artifacts.

Survivor is such a bitch about supplies. I'm now convinced they don;t give you enough craftables to open every shiv door.

I searched every damn corner for pickups. I never crafted a nail bomb the entire game. I never used a shiv on anything but doors. And yet, I run into a door I can't open! Just needed a quarter of blades and never saw any for hours. Argh!

That said... I had to force myself not to start survivor+ last night at 2am. That's for this morning, lol.

edit: I have not, and never will, upgrade Joel's aim steadiness. That's cheating! Long range bow shots where you only have one arrow to spare should always make you sweat!

Septimius

Again, I'm trying to figure out if I should play the game again on Survivor or Survivor+. What are the differences? What's the deal with NG+?

Evolved1

Start shooting.

edit: I see you have attempted combat.
One thing about this area is that, unlike most areas in my experience, ammo will be dropped here. Bunches of ammo was dropped for me on both hard and survivor. Let them get right up on you and one shorty blast to the head will kill anything. And hopefully shorty ammo will drop, like it did for me. I tried to take them one at a time if possible, and fists will beat down a single stalker. Play fast, move around. I chose to fight them in the very first open area where you start. I knew they couldn't come from behind me... and it was an open area where I could see all the ways they could attack. I just pulled out my shorty and stood my ground. Good luck. There are things to pickup in the area, I suggest sacrificing the ammo in your shorty, hoping for drops. And I honestly recommend that you save your craftables. Try to get through on just ammo and fists, if possible.

Joeku

On survivor, and this one part is testing my will:
Sniper guy in the suburbs. I have a single arrow and a brick. This is the Final Destination of Us. How the hell do I do this on this difficulty? On normal I was able to hug the left and nail-bomb a bunch of dudes and with the ammo I had then I offed them, but now...geez.

Septimius

I'm still not getting the difference between starting a new game on Survivor and starting a NG+ on Survivor+ with the chapter select difficulty trick.

I get that NG+ means the upgrades carry over and the collectibles. Other than that, is there any difference between Survivor and Survivor+?

Cloudy

Banned
Trying out the State of Decay demo and this game is VERY similar to TLoU and it's not just the content matter. The gameplay and inventory system as well lol

Evolved1

On survivor, and this one part is testing my will:
Sniper guy in the suburbs. I have a single arrow and a brick. This is the Final Destination of Us. How the hell do I do this on this difficulty? On normal I was able to hug the left and nail-bomb a bunch of dudes and with the ammo I had then I offed them, but now...geez.

If you can, you have to
get over to the right side. I had one sliver of health, and I was able to make it by dashing across. Though, I had to time it right, and it took a couple tries. But the houses on the right side allow a much better approach, and they have collectables. Once you make it over to the right, the sniper becomes an afterthought. He can't hit you anymore over there. It's just about isolating and killing the guys. Be careful though, entering some houses spawns a dude upstairs. Good thing you have the brick.That arrow, if used well, will probably net you some ammo.

Simply because they then would stand completely still for the entire encounter, and you'd be on the other side wondering where the hell they are. Then they're standing back there, because, you see, the problem arises when they try to move. Sometimes they go to a place they assumed was safe, then suddenly it isn't safe and they move. Pathing like this is a very, very taxing thing to firstly program and secondly to compute. Lest someone discovers some clever new ways of doing path-finding algorithms, we'll be pestered with problems like these for a while.
I'm not an AI programmer, but wouldn't the AI pathfinding problem be fixed if every enemy during stealth sessions had an invisible radius around them which NPCs cannot cross? That would've forced the NPCs to find paths from a relative distance which could seem lot more believable than NPCs crossing paths with enemies in plain sight.

Just stay at the start. They will all come to you eventually.

Donos

Just finished it on hard. Really glad i didn't use listening mode. That made alot of situations way more tense. Just listening for sounds and staying on spots for a minute to be sure that there isn't someone around gave the game more of a survival feel. Surround sound is really nice with this game

. End game spoiler (over 97%)
the last infected area with bunch of runners, clickers and bloaters was so tense. First tried to just run through but the bloaters always made me a new jaw. then i just sneak around and just killed the three runners in the side tunnel. Hoped fo a scene where Joel returns to his brother at the end of the game.Well.

Question, is there a peaceful way getting around the surgeon to get to Ellie? I shot him in the foot but the pain was to much for him so he died :lol

Top Bottom