• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DJwest

Scared the living shit out of me on Survivor difficulty.
Enemy spawns are different in it... some safe spots are no longer safe at all and I ended up turning a corner right into a bloater's embrace lol
Wow, really ?. I need to finish my first play through quickly then. How far from the end am I? I'm right when
you try to reach the bridge at night with the other 2 survivors

The tension during that was almost too much for me. Sweaty controller, "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck", running blindly trying to escape.....man.
I feel you man, shit was crazy. in other news though, if Naughty Dog can pull off The Last of Us on 6-7year old hardware, what are these wizards going to accomplish PS4 ? Can't fucking wait.

Septimius

you know, that moment before and after the (40%)
'Fall' title card would have been way more powerful if there wasn't that god awful sniping sequence.

Also I can't help laughing at Joel's new plaid shirt.

Dude. This is how your post should've looked. Instead it was just a spoiler-fest for all to see. Get it together.

Wow, really ?. I need to finish my first play through quickly then. How far from the end am I? I'm right when

You're about
half way

Not every encounter is different, but that one is.
You're about 50-60% done, I'd say. Also, don't speed through it! :p

wait what? think i missed some story beat (67%)

Joel was like all, nope ellie fuck off... but after killing like 4 guys in the house, he's all mount on my horse ellie.

wait what? think i missed some story beat (67%)

Joel was like all, nope ellie fuck off... but after killing like 4 guys in the house, he's all mount on my horse ellie.

Read between the lines. This is not a JRPG where the hero will say "Thank you for opening my eyes, I understand now"

Enemy spawns are different in it... some safe spots are no longer safe at all and I ended up turning a corner right into a bloater's embrace lol

I did that part on Survivor last night. I cheesed it a bit:

If you position yourself facing the doorway when you pick up the keycard, the stalkers that instantly spawn won't come in straight away. They just.. run around a bit waiting for you to come out. Eventually they'll get sick of waiting and come in one by one, making it a lot easier to take them out. Now with the generator, I just bolted to the door straight after I turned it on. Didn't even bother fighting.

well sorry that every other storybeat thingy happens with a prerendered cutscene.
I'm totally with you. A
slow headshake during the ride back before the scene on the cliff was not quite enough to sell that transition. I too had a quiet wth is happening at first. Only point for me in the game that I felt something was missing. The scenes before it were fantastic but ended in such a way that I felt the situation was still very much open.

I really wish this were a PS4 game, the frame rate in
fall chapter outside the campus
is really bad, a good example how PS3 struggles with open environments

Neiteio

I really wish this were a PS4 game, the frame rate in
fall chapter outside the campus
is really bad, a good example how PS3 struggles with open environments
Eh? Just seemed like a constant 30 fps to me. Never stuttered or anything.

But yeah, I totally want a GOTY edition on PS4 with 1080p 60 fps AA.

Alienous

Eh? Just seemed like a constant 30 fps to me. Never stuttered or anything.

But yeah, I totally want a GOTY edition on PS4 with 1080p 60 fps AA.

It certainly takes a dip
when Joel, Ellie and Tess are headed into the building the fireflies are supposed to be in (the Capitol building?)
. I'm pretty sure it isn't constant, but it never dipped during combat segments for me.

Easy_G

It certainly takes a dip
when Joel, Ellie and Tess are headed into the building the fireflies are supposed to be in (the Capitol building?)
. I'm pretty sure it isn't constant, but it never dipped during combat segments for me.

The only time it dipped for me was during combat scenes with
the bloater. The spore attack seemed to be very taxing.

I think i might have missed it in the beginning, but what was Joel's occupation? I assume it was police or military or something. It can't just be survival instincts that makes him outpunch zombies ;)

RyanDG

I think i might have missed it in the beginning, but what was Joel's occupation? I assume it was police or military or something. It can't just be survival instincts that makes him outpunch zombies ;)

From the intro call, I assumed some sort of construction since he was mentioning a contractor.

The Lamp

At 42% and 12 hours in so far. I dunno how anyone could spend 50+ hours just looking at stuff, but more power to them, I'm not gonna judge how someone gets the most out of their games. Lord knows I take my time and wander, but man, I don't think I spent 50 hours on the entirety of Fire Emblem. That's some dedicated observing.

This is probably going to sound really ridiculous, but I find after a few straight hours of playing this, the atmosphere gets really oppressive and convincing to the point where I'm feeling oddly appreciative of the world I live in vs this game's world. I think to some extent, after seeing the inside of so many buildings post-Katrina, both helping friends clean up and in work-related inspections, a lot of the little details ND threw into the game's environments really resonate with me. It's a strange feeling.

I hear you. I've seen developers try to tell stories through their environment, even in zombie games, like how Vale left lots of clues in Left 4 Dead's levels.

But this brings it to another level. The notes left behind, the items left behind, etc. Probably the most significant thing for me was (Spring chapter spoilers)
going into that RV in the Spring chapter and seeing the family photo of the family that was dead in the RV
. Also,
going into the triage tents in the same chapter and seeing the hospital beds where people were treated. There were several blood splatters on the wall, which implied that they tried to treat the sick people, but eventually just gave up and shot them dead in the tents.

I've never felt like a game world has had this much attention paid to its history and personality. The world feels like it was lived in, yet left alone for 20 years. It's been fascinating just walking through neighborhoods and cities and seeing how they were left behind when everyone had to leave.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

He can turn a handful of nuts and bolts into a high powered optic for a hunting rifle... I'm guessing he was some type of quantum engineer or maybe a sorcerer.

He can turn a handful of nuts and bolts into a high powered optic for a hunting rifle... I'm guessing he was some type of quantum engineer or maybe a sorcerer.

he also has no reflection, so i think youre on to something!

BOCv10nCIAE5YtW.jpg:large

The Lamp

I finished Survivor mode yesterday. Not nearly as bad as I expected. It got kind of tough in a couple of spots though.

There were 3 doors that required shivs that I couldn't open because I didn't have any. I spent the entire point from the end of the Fall chapter through the Winter chapter not having the supplies to make a new shiv.

I think this is the overall theme of Survivor mode.

TELL-ME-WHERE.jpg

Kvik

The colors look off in Dennis' screenshots. Is he using a camera to take pictures off the screen?

Probably just his gamma setting was set to 'warm'. I also find that on neutral gamma some interior shot was a bit too dark without flashlight on.

Vodh

I'm totally with you. A
slow headshake during the ride back before the scene on the cliff was not quite enough to sell that transition. I too had a quiet wth is happening at first. Only point for me in the game that I felt something was missing. The scenes before it were fantastic but ended in such a way that I felt the situation was still very much open.

Have you never experienced one of those moments when in a heated discussion you say something cruel to a person you deeply care about, only to regret it immediately afterwards?
I think that based on everything what happened before, it was clear that
Joel just had one of those moments. And Ellie openly begged him not to abandon her. Joel was obviously struggling with the situation, and it was absolutely clear that at that point Ellie was already way more important to him than what he said would suggest.
It was one of my favourite moments of the game,
precisely because of the subtlety with which it was handled
. Even if you don't just get it right away, I do believe that the more you wonder about this scene, the more it makes sense and fits in perfectly.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Well fuck. I am getting to that part. I am scared of just thinking of that part.

This game. This fucking game. I can't even.

Just imagine what ND will do with the PS4. I can't!

I think this game will be my Deus Ex. Everytime someone mentions it, I will want to play it.

jdl

Banned
Well, I've finished it now. It's good. The hype was overblown, but I expected that.

I'll chalk my gripes with the gameplay up to a matter of preference. That aside, it's weird how a team with some obviously very talented writers and directors still felt the need to crib from recent movies.

Overall though, impressive work. Visually stunning.

kizmah

Just finished the game and I am in awe. ND just took storytelling and characterization in gaming to a new level. Couple that with masterful gameplay and stunning visuals and you get the peak of the generation.

Neiteio

It never even occurred to me to try upgrading the bladed weapons. Attaching scissors to a plank or pipe is one thing, but to an axe??

raindoc

Hated that part. I died about 10 times in a row before I realised I could go upstairs. Nearly gave up at that point.

I pretty much sucked at all combat until about half way through.

lol. I died quite a few times because
I couldn't find the door card
but it really.wasn't difficult. Plus the
molotov+shotgun
combination works so well.

really? the second i saw the generator i was like "nope!" and went searching for the exit first..

one little thing that really impressed me is the
vault over the window when Joel is injured

Video games these days often have story point
injured state animation, but then they always forget or don't bother redoing traversal animations, so one second you are injured the next you are monkeying up a ledge or something.

This whole sequence is just beyond even the top tier of animation in games. Bravo ND.

Yawnier

Banned
one little thing that really impressed me is the
vault over the window when Joel is injured

Video games these days often have story point
injured state animation, but then they always forget or don't bother redoing traversal animations, so one second you are injured the next you are monkeying up a ledge or something.

This whole sequence is just beyond even the top tier of animation in games. Bravo ND.

That whole sequence was just overall brilliant, my personal favorite part of the game most likely.

Top Bottom